Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Withings updated their app to integrate Health Kit today. Now I can see my steps from Garmin and weight from WIthings in one place while I slowly watch myself get fatter and fatter.

Actually I could already see both because I synced withings to garmin already but it's better because it's using Health Kit obv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Are there any "media" players that work with ios8/iphone 6 Plus yet?

Maybe I'm dumb but what is "media" code for? Maybe you can use a little more vague words to describe.

I use Plex all the time. But it plays media so I'm not sure that's what you're asking.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably the usual video formats would be my guess.

:filez:

That's not media? Plex doesn't work?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Hughlander posted:

Are there any maps apps that do turn by turn over BT Phone profile and not A2DP? It is annoying that Siri can pop up over the tuner but for maps I have to give up the radio or turn off Bluetooth.

Google maps does what you want but quite horribly. It likes to linger after giving a direction.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

noirstronaut posted:

Looks like it's gone in the US. Not really sure why and the Twitter account hasn't been updated in a year.

It's been removed from US store over a year. I also do not know why this is. Unfortunately it is the best out there.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

noirstronaut posted:

The Google keyboard is superior to all keyboards.

e: Actually, the HTC variation of the Google keyboard is superior to all keyboards.

Honestly I struggle to think of a worse keyboard than htcs. Just another element of Android they pointlessly developed their own version of without providing any real benefit back to the user.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ZShakespeare posted:

I pity the idiot that checks his email outside work hours.

And thus you will be forever a poor.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I'm a fan of Microsoft's new Lens App. Same poo poo as evernote's app but not evernote

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

gypsyshred posted:

Ugly Apps had an app called Episodes, and it worked really well for tracking tv shows. With the new version of iOS, it doesn't work at all, and its now pulled from the app store. So what I need is recommendations for an app to replace it. Is there any hope for recovering the data? I had a billion shows I was halfway through binging.

It works in the latest iOS 9.1 betas.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TinTower posted:

Which part?

When you get involved with sex work research and policy, you tend to hear a lot about the swarms of horny men wanting women to tell them what to do. And TeamViewer is one of those solutions to that problem.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Michael Scott posted:

Reading this guy's posts is a real mindfuck. A medium-quality troll, points for surrealism.

I feel like he's trying to be funny or make some super witty joke that only he will understand because of how "smart" he is compared to all us retards.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

flosofl posted:

I use it all the time. Mostly in the Western 'burbs of Chicago, but I did use it last summer as a turn-by-turn to my parents' house near Raleigh from Chicago. My parents live out in the sticks in a recently developed cluster of houses and it accurate map data. I also used it to get to House on the Rock in WI for a weekend getaway about 5 months ago.

I haven't had a mess-up yet.

It's a loving joke on or around Randall road. Consistently off two miles in either direction. Other than that it's been mostly okay for me. Definitely getting better.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is there an app (probably for jailbroken phones only) that can sort of act like dropbox for music, where I can designate a folder on my computer and it will just push whatever songs I have in that folder to the phone as like songs it will recognize in the music library?

If that doesn't exist I would settle for a program that just lets me push songs to the phone manually over wifi without having to connect it OR use iTunes at all

I know that iTunes can like sync over wifi nowadays (I think?) I just hate using it and would rather not if possible

Couldn't you use the "automatically add to iTunes" folder with iTunes Match or Apple Music to accomplish this?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Is there some sort of greater benefit of scrobbling I don't know about? I've seen people time and time again say they can't live without it. As far as I know it just creates internet noise because no one cares what you personally listen to. I'd like to think there's a really great part of all this I'm missing.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Keeping track of what you listen to!

There's loads of times I've had random playlists on shuffle and wanted to go back to find a track.

So if apps purely just gave you a personal history of what you listened to that no one else could see that would suffice? I'm not trying to be snarky-just curious.

I thought the publishing aspect is what made scrobbling more than just a log.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

This is probably a really easy one ... Can anyone recommend a particular app for my iPhone I can setup with my daily commute to work and have it give me a simple traffic report widget to look at? Preferably something lightweight, free with no ads, doesn't use a lot of data, etc. But I'm fine paying $$ if the product is good enough.

So less simple than the one on your today screen?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's been about 2 weeks and I'm getting nothing from it still. I was trying to figure out how the built in one worked and it sounds like it just takes forever for some people, and for some people it just doesn't work at all :shrug:

Doesn't seem like a tough concept to just be able to tell it what my commute is but I guess I can just deal without it if I have to.

You have location service on and such? I mean my stupid phone even knows where I go to lunch and let's me know I'll be there in three minutes.

I guess for simplicity you could just save your work address and look it up in apple maps. Just tell Siri to take you to work.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I try almost all the mail clients and I can't get hardly any of them to work with my companies exchange server policy. Boxer does but annoyingly has me enter a pin on top of the pin I already enter to get in my phone. If they could Touch ID that we would be in business.

I assume it's all because Apple won't allow third party email clients to install certificates or enforce security (guess that makes sense) but drat it I hate mail.

Side note: why do all email clients- even paid ones- think it's okay to put advertisements for their product in my default email signature?

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 4, 2016

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mortanis posted:

Likewise, is OneNote pretty good for taking handwritten notes? I'm hoping for something that'll capture handwriting and convert it to text if I'm not too crappy at writing, but that's not a dealbreaker. I gather Penultimate is pretty worthless for accessing the documents on another computer, and I'd like to be able to convert my notes for use on my laptop once I'm done with each meeting.

Yes - but I take mine via my surface.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FCKGW posted:

The Breaking News app and website are shutting down tonight and I'm looking for a replacement. I don't want a "customize your news" type app, I just want something that highlights important news stories going on in the world and more importantly will prompt me with a notification of something important has happened (they pinged me about Carrie Fishers death about 20 minutes before NBC/CNN).

Any recommendations?

Curious how knowing she died 20 minutes before reported by NBC/CNN had any real impact for you. Not saying it didn't - I really want to know what it is you do that is requiring your news speed.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Clips is out. It's okay for a first release. Don't totally understand what gap it's trying to fill yet.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ManSedan posted:

So Clips is real neat, if a bit obtuse. Anyone else have it and can share videos to twitter? I thought that was supposed to be one if it's features but twitter is missing from my share sheet (including the "more" overflow part).

Can't you just save the video and then Share it on Twitter?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Endless Mike posted:

They talked about that and he said not likely.

So he will

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SaintFu posted:

What podcast apps are people using these days? I've been using Overcast and I like it, but it has trouble opening private podcasts from Patreon.

In what way? Works fine for me.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

maduin posted:

I've posted this before, but Notion is a lot better than both

I'd have probably had a much more productive Sunday if I had never seen this post and moved my note platform for the 4th time.

Wish it had is iPad pen support. Guess I can use Apple Notes or OneNote for that though. Also wish the Calendar functionality was less self contained and linked up to Google and Exchange but I am fine just not using it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
hell yeah

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TraderStav posted:

Is this their beta or did you get an updated app? I'm not showing it in my app store as an update yet.

TestFlight. So just a few days. But it’s the first time it appeared there.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

The Dave posted:

I realize this isn’t an ios question but I’m going to ask anyway:

So I work for a company that doesn’t allow non company phones to sync with their exchange servers, and I don’t have a company phone (and don’t want one) so it’s really annoying to need to rely on my laptop to see cal events. Is there anyway to automatically duplicate calendar events with a new calendar that syncs to my phone? A one time sync seems easy but I’m not sure how to do something that stays up to date.

Does your company use office 365 and if so do you have access to Flow?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Trying to find an Apple Watch sleep app that will let me make a REST based call when it detects sleep.

Basically I want to shut off my office lights and sleep the computers if I go to bed and forget.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Protocol7 posted:

Migrated my old phone over to the new one. Outlook is notifying me of emails that come into my other inbox, not just the focused inbox like it says it should in the notification settings. Weirdness from the migration probably?

Not exactly that. I had an indicator for 14+unread emails. if a new email came in and i read it the indicator went away until new emails came in. At which case
i’d have “15” again. I replaced my outlook with the testflight version i previously used and the issue is resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

wooger posted:

Signed up for the YouTube premium free trial this week.

Picture in Picture *still* doesn’t work in the YouTube app, what utter cretins they are.

The only change is no ads, which I already have for free in-browser (adblock). The browser version which I have to use (along with a hacky shortcut) to make PiP work anyway.

Good one Google. They’re way off with the pricing for YouTube Premium too - the music offering has zero value to me, and £11.99 a month for no ads on content that’s already free is insanely bad value.

So maybe you should cancel it?