Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Proteus Jones posted:

Looks like T-Mobile already uses their service from their website. Might explain why they've been pretty good at flagging the calls coming in for the most part.

For anyone interested in this, just keep in mind it's going to have full access to your call and message LOGS (not content) and your Contacts. if you use a 3rd party login (Facebook, Google), it will have access to whatever info is typically available to 3rd parties using that authentication.

Privacy policy looks fairly straightforward. There's a little bit of weaselly words sprinkled in there, but for the most part it's an intelligible policy that's appears to be better than most services.

https://hiya.com/hiya-data-policy

If I weren't already getting acceptable service from T-Mobile in catching these kinds of calls, I'd have no issues using this.

AT&T also has their own app powered by Hiya. It's worked amazing for me for over a year now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-call-protect/id1181632589?mt=8https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-call-protect/id1181632589?mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://developer.apple.com/library...dExecution.html

quote:

Apps that support background execution may be relaunched by the system to handle incoming events. If an app is terminated for any reason other than the user force quitting it, the system launches the app when one of the following events happens:

For location apps:

The system receives a location update that meets the app’s configured criteria for delivery.

The device entered or exited a registered region. (Regions can be geographic regions or iBeacon regions.)

For audio apps, the audio framework needs the app to process some data. (Audio apps include those that play audio or use the microphone.)

For Bluetooth apps:

An app acting in the central role receives data from a connected peripheral.

An app acting in the peripheral role receives commands from a connected central.

For background download apps:

A push notification arrives for an app and the payload of the notification contains the content-available key with a value of 1.

The system wakes the app at opportunistic moments to begin downloading new content.

For apps downloading content in the background using the NSURLSession class, all tasks associated with that session object either completed successfully or received an error.

A download initiated by a Newsstand app finishes.

In most cases, the system does not relaunch apps after they are force quit by the user. One exception is location apps, which in iOS 8 and later are relaunched after being force quit by the user. In other cases, though, the user must launch the app explicitly or reboot the device before the app can be launched automatically into the background by the system. When password protection is enabled on the device, the system does not launch an app in the background before the user first unlocks the device.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

arbybaconator posted:

The new CLIPS update is out. Some really cool AR stuff in there!

Probably the best tech demo for the iPhone X right now.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/9/16628774/apple-clips-2-app-update-iphone-x-selfie-scenes-icloud

Those are pretty cool. Now I kinda wish they added them to Facetime.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Storm by Weather Underground has precipitation, lightning, and hurricane alerts for free. It also has a Watch app (I don't have a watch though so I don't know how well it works).

But it also hasn't been updated in 5 months. I don't know if it needs updates-it still works-but they may have abandoned it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
After trying both I'm sticking with Apple Music. Although the playlists are much better on Spotify the integration with Apple is much better. I also only ever use my iPhone or iPad to listen. Never my PC.

The biggest issue I have beyond playlists is that CarPlay prefers to start whatever I was last listening to in my library. Even if I've been playing radio all day and my last library play was from the night before.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Waze is now available on Ford Sync 3 equipped cars. I tried it this morning. I was surprised to see the interface was just as busy as the app. I'm not sure how it looks in Android Auto but it was not simplified like CarPlay apps are.

I generally prefer CarPlay over the Sync interface (third party apps better supported, easier to get Apple music or podcasts) so I don't think I would switch just for Waze on my daily drives. It would be nice to try on a longer road trip though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

tuyop posted:

Nah you’ll just be doing work for no reason but that’s kind of the definition of a hobby so go hog wild. :)

Personally, I like exploring new features like the fact that Photos now does a pretty good job identifying species of birds!

And it doesn’t creep me out because it’s local to the phone.

I found out recently it's pretty good at reading text in your photos and can search by that.

I was looking for a picture of my TV I took a decade ago. Didn't know the exact date but searching for "American Idol" as a long shot pulled it right up (the picture had the show name on the screen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Because a family member was on it. The picture is of them on the show.