Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Yeah, it's not so much a glaring omission as the whole point is you would use Overcast instead of iTunes/Apple's Podcasts app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

It's a Universal app if that helps at all. I bought it because I already had GoodReader on my iPad and this got me the upgrade and the iPhone version. If that's not a factor for you, I don't actually recall having run into anything that made me think "Oh this is a nice new feature I didn't have before."

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

The Biggest Jerk posted:

What's a really good note-taking app that you can also draw pictures in for the ipad? Going to be using it for physiology notes so it has to be able to combine the two.

Notability is still my favorite note-taking app. You can do typed notes and freehand stuff all in the same note.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Flame112 posted:

Are there any recommended IRC apps for iPhone? Preferably something that keeps me connected to channels even when I switch apps or lock the screen, if such a thing is possible.

I like Colloquy. For staying connected all the time you're probably going to want to set up an IRC bouncer which you then connect to from the phone.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Are spoilers even hidden from people not regged?

No.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

hadji murad posted:

I have a very long MP3 I want to break into multiple listenings like a podcast. Music won't remember my position. What's the best way to do this?

If you sync with iTunes, you could probably just change the type/settings in iTunes to have it remember the position. Or you could try something like this http://thesweetsetup.com/quick-tip-create-a-personal-podcast-feed-from-dropbox-with-justcast/

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

~Coxy posted:

ServerAuditor is pretty good too.

Yeah, I've been using this for a while and had no problems with it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Two blockers will cancel each other out, like anti-depressants.

No they won't.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

hooah posted:

I'm trying to have my mother-in-law set up Google Photos on her iPhone, and she's worried about the permissions (she's in info sec, so she does have legitimate concerns like not wanting her receipts in the cloudbutt). Evidently the first thing Google Photos does on iOS is ask if you want to allow it to back up all your photos, and it doesn't seem like there's a way to prevent it. Since this is a remote situation, can anyone help me figure out if there's a way to only back up specific photos/albums from the get-go?

You can either grant or deny apps permission to your photos; there's nothing for granular permissions like only giving them access to a certain album.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I will never forget that

Oh boy, a chance to post the link again! For anyone who hasn't yet seen the haircut management thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3326946

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

londonmoose posted:

Nope, the new version is pretty good, the only minor gripe that I have is that selecting a podcast to play takes two taps now, but otherwise the updates are fine.

When I read about that, I didn't think it sounded like a big deal, but it's amazing how annoying it is. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

StealthBus posted:

Thanks - I'm after an extra privacy app like AppLock on Android as The apps I want to restrict don't have it natively enabled.

You're not going to find an app that lets you require additional security to open a different app on iOS. (At least, not in the app store. I don't know if there are jailbroken ones that do that.)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

HiredGun posted:

Is there any way to get ProTube back? (Non jail break)?

I posted this in the iPhone thread but I probably should've mentioned it here in the app thread too:

CaptainCaveman posted:

Regarding ProTube: iMazing recently added some features for managing apps.

I was able to re-download ProTube and then install it to my iPhone. (I still had it installed on my iPad.). I still expect it to stop working at some point when YouTube changes something, but it's nice to have the .ipa file backed up until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

For not playing the sounds, forgive the obvious, is your mute switch on? For not even displaying them, do you have a focus/do not disturb mode on?