Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

Most of the widgets are not thinking that vertical spacing is the most important thing in the notification center. If I made a weather widget it would look something like this:

This but with somehow squeezing enough room for an overview of the rest of the current day's weather and I would happily pay for it as a replacement to the full sentence "Today View" thing.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Eight Is Legend posted:

Human is the first fitness tracking app I know of that now has support for HealthKit: http://human.co/

Breeze by RunKeeper is also pretty cool: http://breezeapp.com/
I've heard some people talking about Human but I don't quite get it. Is it just an app that lets you know when you've walked for a total of 30 minutes a day?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

Good news to whoever liked the simple weather widget I designed: I have sold the rights to an app developer and am working with him to figure out what can be added to make it the best weather widget on iOS.
Awesome stuff! The only thing I'd suggest from your mockup earlier would be to have the sun in yellow, rain in blue, etc. I always find the colour placement to be just as important for at-a-glance weather checks as the shapes themselves.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Not quite sure what your after but motionx 24 is pretty great.
I've tried using it and can't seem to get the calibration to work at all. Is there a knack for getting it to beep properly when I roll over?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

slomomofo posted:

Isn't forecast.io the one everyone complains about being wildly inaccurate for anything beyond the next hour or two?
I know that personally speaking, if I can get the next few hours of accurate hyperlocal weather in a widget, I'll be so happy.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

That's literally the weather underground app.
And it looks like it takes up pretty much the whole screen, at which point I might as well just be using the app. A really thin notification widget like TheDave's mockup is what everyone in this thread is begging for it seems!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As a British person, the weather is the only thing that I am allowed to talk about with strangers so I like to stay informed. Do you have any idea just how much of a faux pas it is for someone to say "I hear it's going to rain this weekend" and for me not to reply with "Tsk, yeah"

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Martytoof posted:

Did the latest YouTube update gently caress up the landscape layout of the app on anyone else's retina iPad mini? The menu sidebar extends way too far now, like 66% of the screen leaving only 33% for the video list. Used to be the other way around.
Happening on the iPad Air too.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The only way around Diabolik's explanation would be for bank apps to support something like 1Password, which is pretty much never going to happen.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Last Chance posted:

Are there any apps that can play music?
What do you need it to do that the default music app doesn't do?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is there an IFTT recipe for retweeting a certain account automatically? I want to RT a certain account every time they tweet.
Not sure if the iOS thread is the right thread for that question, but anyway: https://ifttt.com/recipes/149174-automatically-retweet

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The Camera+ offer also works just fine in the UK without changing stores.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

obi_ant posted:

Is there a way I can access my computer through my iPhone 6? I currently have my computer connected through a VPN at home and I would love the ability to shutdown, defrag or manage downloads with my phone.
You could use TeamViewer or Splashtop to remotely control your machine. I use TeamViewer myself although not very often since my home internet speeds are garbage.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

decypher posted:

loving hate the smug update notes that accompany every Camera+ update. Really hope their writer would die in a god drat fire.

The app loving sucks, in my opinion. 645 PRO takes much better pictures, has great options, and I've never had to "edit" a photo taken with it. Its been said in this thread before about 645 PRO, but it takes pictures that make you go, "Wow, I can't believe that was taken with an iPhone."

The interface can be intimidating at first but it's pretty easy to understand once you play with it.
At some stage I bought 645 Pro but never really used it. In what way do its photos end up looking better than normal iPhone photos? I'm going on holiday in a few months and if I can get awesome results out of my phone I might re-download it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's really not a big deal but I've been very close to switching away from Pocket Casts purely on the basis that they still haven't updated for iPhone 6 resolutions yet.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Sobriquet posted:

Want to give people any more information to go off? What are you looking for in a music app? What are you using and why are you unhappy with it? Google Play Music works for me :shrug:.
ICHIBAN gets angry at his phone a lot, don't worry about it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ManMythLegend posted:

So one of my favorite features of my old MotoX was that I could give the phone a quick shake while it was sleeping and it would wake up and open the camera.

Are there any apps for iOS that duplicate that functionality? My cursory search revealed nothing.
Without jailbreaking, you can't shake to unlock or anything like that. However, if you bring up your lock screen by pressing the lock or home buttons then swipe up from the camera icon on the bottom right, it'll jump straight into the camera (with no need to enter a PIN code to unlock until you try to leave the camera)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can I get some music creation app recommendations? Or is there a thread for that?

I'm pretty familiar with Figure, iKaossilator, and Beatwave. I've had Moog's Filtatron on my phone for ages but I've never actually bothered to physically interface my phone with an amp or instrument to make use of it.

I recently downloaded djay2 for both iPad and iPhone and it's probably the most fun I've had with a music app in a while. The fact that it integrates with Spotify is a huge plus.

Anything else I should check out for general musical goofing?
GarageBand would probably be the most obvious answer.

edit: Here's an example of someone who knows what they're doing with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AXu0XuDIUY

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 31, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Josh Lyman posted:

For those who want an alternative to Swiftkey, Swype is free for the time being.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a look!

I see there's an emoji button in the numbers/symbols page, but can it only do the one smiling face or is there some gesture to give me access to more emoji without having to switch the keyboard out?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Whenever you go to a number field in an app or in Safari, shouldn't Swype switch to a numpad or does it not support those? Every other keyboard I've tried has been fine for those.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's not so much long pauses as little tiny gaps while someone is going to answer a question or is trying to think of a word. You can try it for free for five minutes at a time as often as you like to see if it's for you. Personally, I didn't like it because most of my podcasts are comedy ones where delivery and timing are important, but for stuff like tech blogs or news podcasts then I could see the appeal.

The volume boost for me is more of a big deal since my walking route goes past a main road and some of my favourite podcasts are recorded at a very low volume to begin with. Shame I still don't wanna switch from Pocket Casts!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Downcast is the only one I've used that lets you import your own files to listen to through its player.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

teraflame posted:

Upon looking into this further, I have to buy it twice? On iOS and $50 windows license just to sync between them?
I installed the trial for Windows and as far as I can see, all the Windows license does is remove a nagging splash screen on launch then it continues to work just fine from there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

Has the youtube official app performance gone to poo poo lately for anyone, or is it just my 5 starting to show its age?

Most notably rotating from portrait to landscape takes forever and it sometimes freaks out and spews gui elements all over the video after rotating.
It seems like the YT app gets worse every time I launch it. It'll take forever to cache the start of a video (or not even load the UI frames to begin with to even start searching), randomly decide to stop caching until I change the video resolution, add an entire playlist to a TV Queue when I only want it to add one video, etc.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does Untappd cover other non-beer drinks? I like a nice fruity Rekorderlig or a Bailey's and milk or whatever. I'd like to be able to keep track of places in my city that serve those sorts of things.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Lum_ posted:

Greetings fellow mixed drinker! Sadly it does not.

possible new app idea! PassdOut
Aw that's a shame. Thanks anyway!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I finally decided to make a switch to Overcast because I am days (literally, days) behind on my podcasts and want to make use of Smart Speed.

Annoyingly, after buying the full unlock I realised that it doesn't have a few of my favourite Pocket Casts features, like showing how many podcasts you have in a playlist or a "add to Now-Playing list" feature. I'm going to stick with it til next week because it would be a waste to spend £3.99 on an upgrade only to immediately delete it and go back, but those really were my most used and favourite parts of Pocket Casts. Also Overcast is definitely uglier than PC was.

edit: This is the third podcast app I've bought the unlock or original app purchase or whatever for. Why can't one of them just do everything right so I don't feel the need to keep switching?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Duck and burger posted:

Is there an alternative to using iTunes to sync photos all-or-nothing? I just want to drag and drop some gd wallpapers onto my device.
There's an app called PhotoSync with a free PC client which I find is really handy for getting photos from device to device.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Facebook is good for when you want to tell everyone about some life event but can't be bothered having the same conversation a ton of times.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Taxes posted:

The stopwatch on the stock app is fine, I just want to be able to swipe down and start a stopwatch and/or timer without exiting whatever I am doing.

Unless the stock clock app has a widget and I just missed it, then that would be good.
Stock clock doesn't have a widget but it's accessible from the control centre thing if that helps at all.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

Pocket Casts is fine, but it's not orange.
Listen to podcasts with orange artwork only.

I'd still be using Pocket Casts if it had voice boost - too many podcasts are recorded/mixed hella quiet and I can't hear anything if I'm walking near a busy road. Smart speed is a nice touch for Overcast too, but Pocket Casts is superior in every other way.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It seems that my YouTube downloader app of choice, Watchlater, is shutting down. I really liked that it had a website so that I could add videos to the download list when I was away from my iPad. Do any of the other downloader apps do this (whether through their website or a bookmarklet I can add into Safari on my PC)?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So after VLC's triumphant return, they've again had to remove AC3 audio support from their app. Have any of the iOS (mainly iPad) media players actually got a license for it and if so, are they any good for general use? Don't really need streaming support or anything, just want a simple video player with folder support that can play most things I can throw at it from my PC.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Overcast has a really bad problem of forgetting whenever I re-order my playlist of what's coming next and just spit it back into chronological order, but otherwise I like it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

Why do you give a poo poo about 1080p vs. 720p on a 5.5" (at most) screen? You're lying if you say you can tell a difference.
Although I definitely wouldn't give a poo poo about 1080p vs 720p on my iPhone using cellular, I tried watching a video on a 4G connection that looked like it was playing in 144p or 240p and didn't give me the option of upping it to something tolerable. Even if was a slower connection, I would've been happy to let it cache for a few seconds.

Also it's got annoying stuff like forgetting your entire cache half of the time when trying to rewind.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible within Pages for iPhone or iPad to ignore/remove the red underline for spelling errors on a per-document basis? There's a few documents I have where it's very helpful to have it off but it's a bit of a nuisance to keep toggling it between docs.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Overcast's notifications are kinda lovely. Like, I'll download a new episode, listen to it, then 6 hours later I'll look in my notification centre and suddenly be told that a new episode is out.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Kayak is pretty good for single flight tracking.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainPsyko posted:

I have a bunch of audio stuff (~8 gigs) that I don't want in my iTunes library because I don't want it coming up on Shuffle. I'd like to play this on my iPhone however.

Ideally, it'd be able to pull the content down from web storage (super ideally: Microsoft OneDrive just because I have factions of storage there and wouldn't need to clean out some room on my Dropbox), but it needs to be able to handle offline playback to some extent - even if it's just pre downloading a few whole individual files.

Is there a podcast app I can repurpose for this? Something else?
iTunes has a "Skip when shuffling option" under Right Click -> Get Info

Although if you want to use web storage rather than local iPhone storage, you could use a file browser app with OneDrive support (e.g. Documents by Readdle) as almost all of these will have a built-in media player. I don't believe Documents supports streaming from Dropbox (don't use OneDrive so haven't ever tested that) but you can save whichever files for offline use within the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
With Apple Music having a $14.99 family sharing option, what is there in place to stop me and four friends just splitting the cost of it amongst us and getting the full service for $3 a month? Does it require syncing to a singular PC with iTunes occasionally or something to prove it's a "family"?