Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

what a finely, beautifully designed punch down tool

also why is it that every explanation for a punch down tool is overly complex when you can just say "it's for connecting wires to poo poo like network jacks" in a tenth the wordcount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

are people this passionate about their love of the punch down tool

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

here OP

it was $3

it looks like a figure-skating wall-e

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

bobbilljim posted:

here OP

it was $3

I have the same one except the lettering on mine is dark ink

(plus mine isn't so huge)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i've been reading about punch down blocks on wikipedia, and is it correct that you're just pushing a wire into a little slot that has sharp edges, and the sharp edges cut the insulation on the wire and that's how the connection is made?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

prefect posted:

i've been reading about punch down blocks on wikipedia, and is it correct that you're just pushing a wire into a little slot that has sharp edges, and the sharp edges cut the insulation on the wire and that's how the connection is made?

the edges also squish into the wire for a good connection but yes

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobbilljim posted:

the edges also squish into the wire for a good connection but yes

thanks; it took longer than it should have for me to get an understanding of what was going on :tipshat:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

prefect posted:

thanks; it took longer than it should have for me to get an understanding of what was going on :tipshat:

the funny part is that a lot of keystones have wire gaps that are placed in such a way that u cant fit the punch down tool in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what a beautiful thing

• Locked thread