Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

nuzak posted:

Mate if you're this concerned about the lack of scientific understanding in politics you'd still be voting green. Their economic policies seem to be the only ones based on some kind of reason, rather than magical austerity logic.

IDGI. I can't remember the last time I saw people criticising labour/conservative environmental or scientific policy over their economic policies.

I don't understand any part of this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
To sort out the issues with power generation in the UK, we need to bring back the CEGB and nationalise National Grid. That way you create an technocratic expert body to run, maintain, plan and enhance the system based on a block 5/10 year grant system similar to Network Rail with rail infrastructure.

The civil service is then analysing business cases and doing money stuff, not trying to oversee the whole bloody thing.

It's a similar set up I would prescribe for the railway system if it was nationalised as it removes it (largely) from the short term whims of government.

It also stops stupid ideas like "no nuclear" being taken seriously.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
My constituency is South West Surrey (majority 16,000ish*) so under our glorious FPTP system my vote doesn't actually count for anything.

*I presume I don't have to spell out which party

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

LemonDrizzle posted:

"It is the Conservatives who are the party of social justice" - Michael Gove, introducing David Cameron's closing speech

I think he's being genuine! I honestly believe he thinks only the right sort of people should get all the wealth and privilege in the country.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

LemonDrizzle posted:

Grapevine now has it that Cameron's closing tory conference speech will have at least one big tax giveaway and that UKIP have a new defector lined up.
My prediction: everyone who already owns a house or is over 55 will be given £5,000 tax free because reasons. If you own a house and are over 55, congratulations, here's ten grand.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Word is the Tax cuts are meant to appeal to C2s (poorer workers), my wild guess is a significant fuel duty cut.

Edit: a quick Google throws up no information on Labour's Environmental / Energy policy. Is it any good or do they back rubbish like Clean Coal?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Revisiting an important public health topic that a lot of people ITT still fail to understand:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...dy-9765616.html

quote:

Hundreds of alcohol-related deaths could already have been prevented if the Government had introduced minimum unit pricing last year, according to a study published on Wednesday.

In contrast, the decision by ministers to instead target “below-cost” alcoholic drinks will save just 14 lives a year and is 50 times less effective at protecting public health than the rejected proposals for minimum pricing, the research found.

The Government introduced a ban on the sale of below-cost alcohol in England and Wales in April, targeting ultra-cheap drinks sold for less than the amount of tax payable on them with the aim of reducing the burden of alcohol-related illness and crime on the state.

The move followed the scrapping of plans to introduce a minimum price of between 40p and 50p per alcoholic unit, which ministers argued would unfairly penalise responsible drinkers. At the time, critics said the Government had “caved in to lobbying from big business”.

Now researchers at the University of Sheffield, who compared the public health impacts of both approaches, have concluded that minimum pricing would have “an approximately 40-50 times greater effect” on alcohol consumption than the targeting of below cost drinks.

The study, published in the British Medical Journal, suggests that the Government’s ban will only prevent 14 deaths and 500 hospital admissions in England each year. A 45p minimum unit price would save 624 deaths and 23,700 admissions annually, it adds.

The researchers also pointed out that targeting below cost drinks would have a minimal impact on the alcohol market, increasing the price of just 0.7 per cent of drinks sold in England. By comparison, a 45p minimum unit price would increase the price of 23 per cent.

The amount of alcohol consumed by “harmful drinkers” – defined as more than 50 units per week for men or 35 for women – would also barely be affected by the Government’s ban, they added. In the space of a year, this group would only drink three units less than they would have previously – compared to 137 units less under a 45p minimum unit price.

The researchers compared the effects of the two policies on public health using a mathematical model alongside General Lifestyle Survey data from the ONS to estimate changes in alcohol consumption, spending, and related harm among adults in England.

Alcohol charities last night called on the Government to change course and adopt minimum pricing. Jackie Ballard, chief executive at Alcohol Concern, said: “The research published today is further proof that minimum unit pricing is an evidence-based policy that will save lives and cut crime, and we need the Government to act quickly to introduce it.

“We know that minimum unit pricing will reduce alcohol-related harm, cut crime and assault, ease the burden on our hospitals and protect the young and vulnerable. This is why doctors, nurses, ambulance services and police up and down the country want to see it introduced.”

Simon Antrobus, the chief executive of Addaction, added: “If further evidence were needed that the Government was wrong to ditch minimum unit pricing, this is surely it. It’s a policy that would have a significant benefit to public health, saving millions for the NHS and helping to protect our most vulnerable drinkers.”

But a Department of Health spokeswoman said: “Alcohol-fuelled harm costs society £21 billion a year and we are determined to reduce this burden to taxpayers. We are taking action to tackle cheap and harmful alcohol such as banning the lowest priced drinks.

“We are working with industry to promote responsible drinking, and are already making headway by removing a billion units from the market over three years.”

In Scotland, a 50p minimum unit price for alcohol has already been agreed by MSPs – but the law cannot be implemented until legal proceedings brought by the Scottish Whisky Association are completed. In Northern Ireland the issue is currently under review.

Norman Baker, the Liberal Democrat Home Office Minister, said: “Minimum unit alcohol pricing remains on the table. We can't sensibly take it forward until the outcome of the Scottish court case. But I'm personally sympathetic to the idea.”

Sarah Wollaston MP, the Conservative chair of the Health Select Committee, said: "I have long supported a minimum unit price for alcohol as the most effective way to reduce the harm to the heaviest drinkers, their families and communities. Minimum pricing in Canada has been associated with significant reductions in alcohol related harm and, once the European Court has reached a verdict, if that gives a go ahead for Scotland, I hope the Government will reconsider the position south of the border. Of course minimum pricing cannot work in isolation but whilst alcohol remains so cheap, price will undermine all other efforts to help those who are losing control of their drinking."

Fluo
May 25, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

Revisiting an important public health topic that a lot of people ITT still fail to understand:

Na we understand it, we just stopped caring.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Word is the Tax cuts are meant to appeal to C2s (poorer workers), my wild guess is a significant fuel duty cut.
C2s are skilled manual workers, IIRC. A fuel duty cut would be a terrible idea, but whatever, it sounds plausible.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DesperateDan posted:

That really made me sit back and strongly reconsider my position, obviously more than one cock is required. I will label one of the spatters of jism in your honour though, would you like a boxed close up of a badly drawn spermatozoa smoking a spliff too?

Seems far more productive than picking the colour of rosette the neo-liberal shitbag party in power wears

And as I have to explain to you loving retarded children every single goddamn motherfucking time an election draws nigh: you are expressing your displeasure with the ruling elite by making GBS threads on the proletariat.

If you don't want to vote for any of the parties, put a blank paper in the box or write "None" on it. That way you get your little protest, but some low paid worker who is giving up a night's sleep and a day's leave to get a bit of extra cash doesn't get obscenities and abuse waved in front of their eyes at 3am.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Fluo posted:

Na we understand it, we just stopped caring*.

*you stopped caring

**and didn't understand it

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Fluo posted:

You're hardly one to talk with the dense seam of anti-intellectualism you demonstrated over it last time, especially when multiple people did the sums to prove that you were talking out of your arse.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Chocolate Teapot posted:

*you stopped caring

**and didn't understand it

I'm a Chocolate Teapot and I eat poop. I'm literally saying these words in this post out of my mouth.

quote:

Hundreds of alcohol-related deaths could already have been prevented if the Government had introduced minimum unit pricing last year, according to a study published on Wednesday.

In contrast, the decision by ministers to instead target “below-cost” alcoholic drinks will save just 14 lives a year and is 50 times less effective at protecting public health than the rejected proposals for minimum pricing, the research found.

The Government introduced a ban on the sale of below-cost alcohol in England and Wales in April, targeting ultra-cheap drinks sold for less than the amount of tax payable on them with the aim of reducing the burden of alcohol-related illness and crime on the state.

The move followed the scrapping of plans to introduce a minimum price of between 40p and 50p per alcoholic unit, which ministers argued would unfairly penalise responsible drinkers. At the time, critics said the Government had “caved in to lobbying from big business”.

Now researchers at the University of Sheffield, who compared the public health impacts of both approaches, have concluded that minimum pricing would have “an approximately 40-50 times greater effect” on alcohol consumption than the targeting of below cost drinks.

The study, published in the British Medical Journal, suggests that the Government’s ban will only prevent 14 deaths and 500 hospital admissions in England each year. A 45p minimum unit price would save 624 deaths and 23,700 admissions annually, it adds.

The researchers also pointed out that targeting below cost drinks would have a minimal impact on the alcohol market, increasing the price of just 0.7 per cent of drinks sold in England. By comparison, a 45p minimum unit price would increase the price of 23 per cent.

The amount of alcohol consumed by “harmful drinkers” – defined as more than 50 units per week for men or 35 for women – would also barely be affected by the Government’s ban, they added. In the space of a year, this group would only drink three units less than they would have previously – compared to 137 units less under a 45p minimum unit price.

The researchers compared the effects of the two policies on public health using a mathematical model alongside General Lifestyle Survey data from the ONS to estimate changes in alcohol consumption, spending, and related harm among adults in England.

Alcohol charities last night called on the Government to change course and adopt minimum pricing. Jackie Ballard, chief executive at Alcohol Concern, said: “The research published today is further proof that minimum unit pricing is an evidence-based policy that will save lives and cut crime, and we need the Government to act quickly to introduce it.

“We know that minimum unit pricing will reduce alcohol-related harm, cut crime and assault, ease the burden on our hospitals and protect the young and vulnerable. This is why doctors, nurses, ambulance services and police up and down the country want to see it introduced.”

Simon Antrobus, the chief executive of Addaction, added: “If further evidence were needed that the Government was wrong to ditch minimum unit pricing, this is surely it. It’s a policy that would have a significant benefit to public health, saving millions for the NHS and helping to protect our most vulnerable drinkers.”

But a Department of Health spokeswoman said: “Alcohol-fuelled harm costs society £21 billion a year and we are determined to reduce this burden to taxpayers. We are taking action to tackle cheap and harmful alcohol such as banning the lowest priced drinks.

“We are working with industry to promote responsible drinking, and are already making headway by removing a billion units from the market over three years.”

In Scotland, a 50p minimum unit price for alcohol has already been agreed by MSPs – but the law cannot be implemented until legal proceedings brought by the Scottish Whisky Association are completed. In Northern Ireland the issue is currently under review.

Norman Baker, the Liberal Democrat Home Office Minister, said: “Minimum unit alcohol pricing remains on the table. We can't sensibly take it forward until the outcome of the Scottish court case. But I'm personally sympathetic to the idea.”

Sarah Wollaston MP, the Conservative chair of the Health Select Committee, said: "I have long supported a minimum unit price for alcohol as the most effective way to reduce the harm to the heaviest drinkers, their families and communities. Minimum pricing in Canada has been associated with significant reductions in alcohol related harm and, once the European Court has reached a verdict, if that gives a go ahead for Scotland, I hope the Government will reconsider the position south of the border. Of course minimum pricing cannot work in isolation but whilst alcohol remains so cheap, price will undermine all other efforts to help those who are losing control of their drinking."

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dunno if this is the same tax cut, but apparently Dave just promised a £12,500 tax-free allowance, and shifting the higher-rate threshold to £50k.

So basically a tax cut for the bottom ~80%

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fluo posted:

It's mostly the Liberal side of the Liberal Democrats in the big seats in the party.

Everyone thinks it's the Liberals that were the ultra-libertarian side of the Alliance and the SDP were the sandal-wearing luvvies. It was actually the other way around; the SDP were proto-Blairites, whereas the Liberals were the ones with a fetish for sandals and beards.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

tories.txt

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

You're hardly one to talk with the dense seam of anti-intellectualism you demonstrated over it last time, especially when multiple people did the sums to prove that you were talking out of your arse.

We're just missing Iohannes for this fun fest. It wasn't anti-intellectualism. Goal posts got moved and I don't know why I carried on playing. Carry on with the snide comments looking for an argument, you're not getting one from me.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I think it's also pure triangulation - the higher tax-free allowance is a Lib Dem policy and I'm pretty sure the higher 40p threshold has been nicked from UKIP.

I also still can't get over how underwhelming this 100,000 new houses thing is.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Zephro posted:

I think it's also pure triangulation - the higher tax-free allowance is a Lib Dem policy and I'm pretty sure the higher 40p threshold has been nicked from UKIP.

Cameron even went so far as to say that "We cannot afford" a tax-free allowance of £10,000 during the leaders' debate.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Carrier posted:

*in slightly politically incorrect asian voice* Erection chat: Who are people itt planning on voting for in the next election? I see a lot of talk of the tories being hosed and the lib dems being hosed and also labour being hosed from various people so I guess it would be interesting to know rather than who people think aren't going to get in, the people they are actually going to vote for.

Personally, i'll probably vote lib dem again, despite all their broken promises and poo poo.

I'm voting ukip op

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zephro posted:

Dunno if this is the same tax cut, but apparently Dave just promised a £12,500 tax-free allowance, and shifting the higher-rate threshold to £50k.

So basically a tax cut for the bottom ~80%

The increase in the higher rate threshold is only beneficial to the top ~15% of earners; the increase in the allowance is beneficial to everyone between the bottom 15% and the top ~1.5%. If you earn over £50k, the combined effect of the proposed changes is to reduce your income tax bill by around £2100.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 1, 2014

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

kim jong-illin posted:

Yes a good idea but one that should be used alongside the lower-priced artificial no-rage alcohol substitutes me ntioned in Prof David Nutt's book about drugs

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"By crudely drawing penis on your ballot, you are oppressing the working class! You are literally the worst!"
- a serious post itt

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Fluo posted:

Carry on with the snide comments looking for an argument, you're not getting one from me.

Fluo posted:

What's wrong with minimum pricing? I care, others here care. What's a better alternative?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bozza posted:

"By crudely drawing penis on your ballot, you are oppressing the working class! You are literally the worst!"
- a serious post itt

I think he was more saying that by drawing a cock and balls on your ballot, all you succeed in doing is heaping more poo poo on the working class person counting the ballots.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Voting SNP. Our constituency's been pretty strongly Lib Dem since 1997, and although Labour came second last time I never want to vote for Labour as far as I can help it. Can't say for sure which way it'll swing, but since we were dominated by the Tories before 1997, we have an SNP MSP and the Lib Dems will be decimated next year we could either go Tory or SNP. Interesting times, either way.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Listening to that Cameron speech, he said a lot of things that people are just going to lap up. It's all bullshit of course, but nobody will care about that. I think it's gonna be another Tory-led coalition for the next five years :smith:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I live in a safe Labour seat, so I'll probably go with a pointless Green protest vote. I told my MP I'd never vote for her as long as she opposed equal marriage.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm in one of the safest Labour seats in the UK, so I'm voting Green.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Chocolate Teapot posted:

What's wrong with minimum pricing? I care, others here care. What's a better alternative?

Some homeless people wanting a little warmer to help them get to sleep in the street will have to muster together another 20-50p to get their special brew white lightning turbo snakebite drink from the corner shop or supermarket. The pros outweigh the cons majorly and there isn't a better alternative off the top of my head. So there isn't "literally no downside" but the downside is very minor and the positives are pretty great.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
My constituency has been Labour since 1936 so I may as well vote for the WRP or Greens or Tories because nobody else is ever getting in, thanks FPTP.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

nobody else is ever getting in, thanks FPTP.

Well, y'see, we needed a new hospital not an alternative voting sy..:suicide:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fluo posted:

Some homeless people wanting a little warmer to help them get to sleep in the street will have to muster together another 20-50p to get their special brew white lightning turbo snakebite drink from the corner shop or supermarket. The pros outweigh the cons majorly and there isn't a better alternative off the top of my head. So there isn't "literally no downside" but the downside is very minor and the positives are pretty great.

Does this also really only affect supermarket bought alcohol as pubs will generally meet this minimum price already?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Labour won 44-36-16 in 2010 so I reckon that's safe or have there been swings of that magnitude before?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

I think he was more saying that by drawing a cock and balls on your ballot, all you succeed in doing is heaping more poo poo on the working class person counting the ballots.

"Heaping more poo poo" how exactly? Are we seriously arguing that someone counting ballots is going to be shaken and upset by a badly drawn dong? Will this cause them to faint in the loving polling station because of the sense of outrage they will feel as the democratic process has been so flippantly insulted?

Jesus Christ, get a loving grip.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Burqa King posted:

Labour won 44-36-16 in 2010 so I reckon that's safe or have there been swings of that magnitude before?

There have been much larger swings than that in the past but a seat Labour won by 8 points in an election where they performed disastrously on the national level should be pretty safe.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bozza posted:

"Heaping more poo poo" how exactly? Are we seriously arguing that someone counting ballots is going to be shaken and upset by a badly drawn dong? Will this cause them to faint in the loving polling station because of the sense of outrage they will feel as the democratic process has been so flippantly insulted?

Not really, they'd most likely just roll their eyes and put it on the pile called 'Ballots ruined for e-cred'.

But still, its not like they deserve it really. They're there to count.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bozza posted:

If I were counting ballots anything weird drawn on it would cheer me up, it'll be the mass of Xs for Tories and UKIP that'll leave me upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Answers Me posted:

If I were counting ballots anything weird drawn on it would cheer me up, it'll be the mass of Xs for Tories and UKIP that'll leave me upset

This, and the actual hard work of determining if someone writing 'not these wankers' meant all the choices or showed an actual preference. The obviously and comically spoiled ballot is the humanitarian way to spoil.

Also how often do you get to draw dicks on government forms?

• Locked thread