Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

DicktheCat posted:

That's a weird loving thing to put in a book.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050602233303/www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/5/28/22428/7034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The archived comments on that archived article are extremely depressing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Agents are GO! posted:

The archived comments on that archived article are extremely depressing.

lmao at calm hitler dot text over here

quote:

Who's the One Ranting? (none / 0) (#485)
by bobej on Thu Jun 2nd, 2005 at 09:06:30 AM EST
(bob@kindakarma.com) http://www.kindakarma.com

Wow, this goes to show, if nothing else, that OSC managed to write a book that draws out people's emotions, though in this case a rather negative one.

I'm a fan so I'll try not to get my defensive dander up, but if his works are the definition of a fascist (and no doubt RAH slots right along next to him, of whom I'm also a fan) then maybe it's not so bad to be a fascist.

Also, what's with this cult of the democracy? Democracy at all costs, even if it means insecurity and stagnation. The US is a republic, which is sort of democracy light, as a hedge against the drawbacks of democracy.

And why is it so drat bad to feel superior? Sure, it makes you a prick, but we can't all go around thinking we're average.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Someone inherrited Terry's knife collection :v:

Mild :nsfw:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mallninjashit/comments/x0od3q/fil_recently_passed_and_left_these_to_my_partner/

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I hate Reddit so much- it won't let me look on mobile unless I get their app, so looks like I'm just not gonna for now.

gently caress.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
You’re not missing anything earth shattering. It’s a collection of knives with vaguely anime and/or 80s air brush van Franzetta type art on the handles and sheathes.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

I hate Reddit so much- it won't let me look on mobile unless I get their app, so looks like I'm just not gonna for now.

gently caress.

Should be able to get around that by choosing "view as desktop site" in your browser.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

using old.reddit.com might also work.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheCenturion posted:

You’re not missing anything earth shattering. It’s a collection of knives with vaguely anime and/or 80s air brush van Franzetta type art on the handles and sheathes.

Wow those are tacky.
Like, not even 16 year old me in the height of my cringe would want those.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If youre gonna get semi clothed ladies on your knife sheath why not just get naked ladies instead? Like if youre getting cringey poo poo dive deep into it and roll with it

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Those aren't sheathes, look at the shape. That there's the naked (heh) blade of the titty-knife.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Stravag posted:

If youre gonna get semi clothed ladies on your knife sheath why not just get naked ladies instead? Like if youre getting cringey poo poo dive deep into it and roll with it

Just like how SoT isn't fantasy, this isn't cringey poo poo, this is tasteful art.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Stravag posted:

The tasteful option is to have a transparent sheath with the bikini printed on it, like those novelty nudey lady pens

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

the_steve posted:

Wow those are tacky.
Like, not even 16 year old me in the height of my cringe would want those.

I don't want them, but it want to buy them as exceptionally lovely gifts for good friends.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm sorry everyone, I told secretly best girl she needed some contrast to all the pain, and handed her the Lathe of Heaven. Now she's trying to fit The Postman into her schedule and it might be a while.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's all good, as goons, we clearly have nowhere else to be.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Honestly, this was the book (or the next one I literally can't remember) that I finally said "Why am I still reading this series? I haven't enjoyed it in forever." so if the thread never updates again I will still have the same amount of knowledge of this series as I had before. Be free of the series, best girl, be free!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I literally cannot escape this thread without finishing, the universe keeps making sure of it. Remember how I made that joke once when my dad died and he left me the "last" SoT book, and only that one?

So since I last posted I moved houses, and in the process of doing so, I unearthed all the old, pristine copies of the Ultima books which I had when they were new. Seriously. This poo poo is a mummy's curse at this point. I fear for the consequences if I try to dodge it deliberately.

Look at how shiny and new these all look compared to the busted-rear end one I've been transcribing. I think I legit need to OCR these now just for preservation's sake... and if it means I can copy the text from that and save my wrists a mass of work, that's even better.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Oh. My. God.

I'm unreasonable ready for this.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I don't even remember what the thread is about at this point, but I'm ready to love/suffer again.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This thread is for suffering, but in doing it together it becomes more bearable.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
This thread a lurking beast, waiting for the perfect moment to shitpost some of the worst prose ever published on to your bookmarks when you are least expecting it.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This thread is for suffering, but in doing it together it becomes more bearable.

That sounds awfully close to communism buddy. Terry Good kind has already written about your character being killed by Dick Rawls

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh hey uh, weird

I read the first fifty pages of this thread years ago and then forgot about it, and now here it is in Trad Games!

Why is this thread here? Has it always been here???

Do you guys want this thread to stay here? That's OK probably. Normally I'd put a Let's (x) into TGR if it was here, but my gut says this is a Book Barn thread now, or perhaps a Let's Play?

I have no strong feelings but if you folks want this thread moved just let me know.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah it was always here. I'm fine with it being tossed into more relevant forums if you like, I'm just keeping track via bookmarks, I legit forget why it started here. Probably the FATAL thread.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Which subforum do you hate the most?

Oh move it to investments. Like the lego thread, but this time it will be them who will be confused and hosed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
And then delete that post so they don't know.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

secretly best girl posted:

Yeah it was always here. I'm fine with it being tossed into more relevant forums if you like, I'm just keeping track via bookmarks, I legit forget why it started here. Probably the FATAL thread.

Having read the whole thing over a month, it because Let's Read Xanth was here. Why that was here is a different question.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ravus Ursus posted:

Having read the whole thing over a month, it because Let's Read Xanth was here. Why that was here is a different question.

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think there was a time when Lets Reads were getting shoved out of LP, and back then the main TG forum was used for the game threads vs. how we have things organized now with gameplay being done in TGR. It would make sense that this thread has just been here low-key ever since.

Anyway like I said, I am fine with leaving it here, but I can ask mods of other forums if you folks think this would get more eyeballs via a move. "Let's Read Animorphs" is in the Book Bran, for example.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Let's wait until I post more than once quarterly I guess, I spent my lunch hour today wrapping the actual interesting meat of the next update and why I wanted to cover this weird trilogy in Ultima skin

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK sounds good just PM me any time if you decide later you'd like some new scenery.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Sorry, I am not secretly best girl bringing an update. I am instead a confused man wondering exactly what Card's evil plan was in this essay.

Note that I agree with him being an asshat, I'm more scratching my head at "He wanted to win a bunch of awards and then somehow this would HUMILIATE SCI FI FOR THE MORMONS" or however it was described.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just found this thread. I loved the Sword of Truth books when I was younger. I started reading them in 2001. It wasn't until much much later in my life that I learned about Goodkinds insane political views. I know for a fact I thought Faith of the Fallen was one of the best books in the series (I loved the whole bit at the end with the statue, people rebelling, etc, etc) I have so much joy seeing books I loved being totally taken apart piece by piece.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SalTheBard posted:

I just found this thread. I loved the Sword of Truth books when I was younger. I started reading them in 2001. It wasn't until much much later in my life that I learned about Goodkinds insane political views. I know for a fact I thought Faith of the Fallen was one of the best books in the series (I loved the whole bit at the end with the statue, people rebelling, etc, etc) I have so much joy seeing books I loved being totally taken apart piece by piece.

Oh god I had that exact same experience with specifically faith of the fallen

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SalTheBard posted:

That's funny - as not an American, I was blessed with never having heard of Ayn Rand or objectivism before Goodkind, and Faith specifically made me go "what is going on?"

Then I found out and hate-read him to death for you. Took me a while but you're welcome.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I really appreciate, having read through this entire topic, someone coming in and say the statue thing was their favorite part.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's one of the most memorable scenes in these novels. Hell, "I'll make my art my way" is one of the biggest normie hooks an objectivist viewpoint can drop, it's why so many of them harp on it (FotF, Fountainhead, etc). The problem is once we get into the Old World rebellion arc, he blew his load too fast with the statue, and now we have the murder stadiums coming up.

I'll get some more of the Ultima stuff up this week, we're about to come to the part that had me bring that in as a pinch-hitter for Richard Rahl. I'll bet everyone wondered how we were gonna get from one to the other!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

I really appreciate, having read through this entire topic, someone coming in and say the statue thing was their favorite part.

As a kid it seems good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah I loved that book too, then started book 7, hated the new characters for being impossibly dull, and never read any more.

I also enjoyed the brutal taking apart of the book I remembered fondly.