Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kellsterik posted:

Wasn't this a thing in the Yuuzhan Vong era EU books as well? I think there was an evil peace movement that just wanted the Vong to win. Turns out that when you create every detail of the world and its history, you can make people who don't like war look pretty stupid!

I thankfully never got that far. I got tired long before that of the constant attempts to make the Evil Women Hating Racist Nazi Empire Lead By Literally A Sinister Space Warlock into some sort of moral grey. I could never tell if it was just poo poo writers desperately trying to add the worst sort of moral ambiguity, or the usual tirade of gung-ho military fascists that flock to anything sci-fi like locusts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I read these books and they were very formative! Then when I got older I realized there was lots of dumb poo poo! :)

I still have fond memories though.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

quote:

I honestly don't know whether we're supposed to find Michael an rear end in a top hat or a quiet saint for this, given the tone of the story.

Objectivists are free-market capitalists who view altruism as weakness, so it's only logical that his brother's unethical business dealings would bring greater prosperity in the long run.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I thankfully never got that far. I got tired long before that of the constant attempts to make the Evil Women Hating Racist Nazi Empire Lead By Literally A Sinister Space Warlock into some sort of moral grey. I could never tell if it was just poo poo writers desperately trying to add the worst sort of moral ambiguity, or the usual tirade of gung-ho military fascists that flock to anything sci-fi like locusts.

I thought it was mostly that the Jedi are really, really unsympathetic protagonists, myself. But you're probably right about the milscifi types, considering what that genre attracts. Also, holy poo poo, more fire outlawing, not five chapters in. What does he do when lightning hits some dry brush? Arrest it with his wizard powers?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kellsterik posted:

Wasn't this a thing in the Yuuzhan Vong era EU books as well? I think there was an evil peace movement that just wanted the Vong to win. Turns out that when you create every detail of the world and its history, you can make people who don't like war look pretty stupid!

Oh god, now I'm remembering the Mandarins from the Wing Commander series. I was never quite sure how a group of seekrit traitors who wanted to capitulate to the Kilrathi was seriously named after the culture that absorbed the Mongols.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bieeardo posted:

Oh god, now I'm remembering the Mandarins from the Wing Commander series. I was never quite sure how a group of seekrit traitors who wanted to capitulate to the Kilrathi was seriously named after the culture that absorbed the Mongols.

Oh God, I remember this from WC2. It's because they thought 'For sure, once they conquer us, the Kilrathi will convert to our superior culture.'

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is Terry Goodkind really trying to say that guns are as useful and important as fire?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Will we see a showdown between Penis Rail and Dick Cypher in the future? :ohdear:

Jesus, how does he come up with these terrible names.

It is hilarious to imagine this stup-up objectionist with zero self-awareness sitting around, thinking heavily before uttering "D..dark... Darken... Rahl! Darken Rahl! I'm a genius!"

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Really Pants posted:

Is Terry Goodkind really trying to say that guns are as useful and important as fire?

What do they say when they want you to shoot a gun? That's right.

:shepface:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Night10194 posted:

Also, holy poo poo, more fire outlawing, not five chapters in. What does he do when lightning hits some dry brush? Arrest it with his wizard powers?

Night, please. Don't ask us what he does to those bushes with that knife. It's too painful to recall.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Pimpmust posted:

Will we see a showdown between Penis Rail and Dick Cypher in the future? :ohdear:

Jesus, how does he come up with these terrible names.

It is hilarious to imagine this stup-up objectionist with zero self-awareness sitting around, thinking heavily before uttering "D..dark... Darken... Rahl! Darken Rahl! I'm a genius!"

To be fair, extremely terrible character names are an important part of The Objectivist Novel since the inception of the genre under Rand. They will always be so because god forbid an objectivist not capitalize on a possible vector of labeling things either the worst or the best.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Night, please. Don't ask us what he does to those bushes with that knife. It's too painful to recall.

Oh? But what if I use my incredible powers of inquisitiveness, as symbolized by asking basic, simple questions (as demonstrated by Dick Cypher) to FORCE the pictures and ideas into your mind so you tell them to me?

Goddamn, we aren't very far and this is already one of the funniest books I've seen since TFR's Let's Read of The Collected Work of Crazy Whackjob Matthew Bracken.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

To be fair, extremely terrible character names are an important part of The Objectivist Novel since the inception of the genre under Rand. They will always be so because god forbid an objectivist not capitalize on a possible vector of labeling things either the worst or the best.
This trait in particular was probably my favourite part of the front page's Ayn Rand parody from last February.

quote:

Dr. Feelmitch of the Food Control Bureau had concluded that such foods were unhealthy and they were subsequently removed by the state.

quote:

Strempf Goldswell had heard enough of such ideas. He bore not a trace of anger as he stood, adjusting the Tanto he wore at his hip next to his smart phone holster, and his voice filled the room. It was a voice that pressed down on Dr. Careslimp and his compatriots like the foot of a man climbing a ladder made of their faces.

quote:

Robert Baron listened to what Dr. Wimpton and the men from the Public Good Department had to say. He listened, lips tightened, square jaw set evenly against his fist, betraying no emotion, but the threat of emotion was apparent in his steel gray eyes.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
If you ever have an antagonist who has, as part of his given, first name, any variant on 'dark,' 'evil,' 'bad,' 'horrible,' 'kill,' etc etc, you're not writing a novel, you're writing a comic book.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheCenturion posted:

If you ever have an antagonist who has, as part of his given, first name, any variant on 'dark,' 'evil,' 'bad,' 'horrible,' 'kill,' etc etc, you're not writing a novel, you're writing a comic book.

Or a videogame!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
The ban on fire and incredible questioning technique that gives people a headache with pictures is reminding me of that Caveman Science Fiction comic.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Gotta give ol' George credit for "Savage Opress" though. It's so brazen.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, no need to get upset about a guy clearing a field of straw men.

Holy gently caress PeterWeller, I read this in the voice of RoboCop. Thanks for the laugh!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
So I am not really clever and like many people missed the fire/gun control thing, but I read like the first four of these books.

The reason I stopped was that something like 30 pages of the fifth book were ripped out of the copy at my library, like totally removed. I brought it back and they asked me 'can you read around it?' I said no but apparently that was the only copy in circulation in my state or something so they couldn't get a new one and that was that.

Some of the stuff in these books is so crazy.

Unrelated; is Rahl any sort of 'meaningful'- in quotes because Darken is so fantastically dumb- name as well or is it just whatever?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When the whole "Ban Fire" thign came up, this is the first thing I thought of:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MartianAgitator posted:

Holy gently caress PeterWeller, I read this in the voice of RoboCop. Thanks for the laugh!

Haha. I wonder if the other guy had made that association, would he have got the satire?

Also, you poor fucks who are just experiencing this mess for the first time are in for the biggest :ughh: of your lives when you learn the reason behind Dick's last name being Cipher.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

PeterWeller posted:

Haha. I wonder if the other guy had made that association, would he have got the satire?

Also, you poor fucks who are just experiencing this mess for the first time are in for the biggest :ughh: of your lives when you learn the reason behind Dick's last name being Cipher.

I saw it coming and I still couldn't believe it when I read it.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

It's been long enough that I forget what that reveal is.

DDP, is everything okay? I know these books are bad, but you don't have to suffer in silence.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh, no, I'm just spending a lot of time at work this weekend. Like... 30ish hours. I'm not bringing these books to work where people might see me reading them and transcribing poo poo, no thanks.

I'll see if I can't crank out the next chapters before bed tonight, though.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I always liked, and when I say liked I mean hated, the hundreds of pages that were spent with the mud people.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I AM TOTALLY POSTING THE NEXT POST BEFORE BED, I FOUND THE WIZARD'S DICK

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

no, don't tell us about old wizard dick

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

PeterWeller posted:

Oh poo poo, he is Neo, the Keymaster to the Banal Computer Code of Magic. Or the secret Path to Magic is written in his DNA. Or something. Right?

I like that his name is Dick Code, at least. It sounds like a secret trick to see a parallel universe gender-swapped Tomb Raider naked.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Paragon8 posted:

I always liked, and when I say liked I mean hated, the hundreds of pages that were spent with the mud people.

Are these people who live in mud, or are made of mud? What did Goodkind find so interesting about them that our attention focused so much on their mud-based civilization? Do I really want to know?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Warning: Post Contains Wizard Scrote

Richard wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 6/the next day with a fever, because a thorn has been running through his loving bloodstream for a day or so now. He still refuses to mention this to Kahlan, however, which may be a good thing due to her response to breakfast:

quote:

Kahlan looked to his face, and concern came over her features. "Richard, what's wrong?"

He held out an apple. "Nothing. Here, eat this."

She slapped his hand away and in a blink had him by the throat with her other hand. Anger flared in her green eyes. "Why would you do this!" she demanded.

Shock raced through his mind. He went rigid. Something told him not to move. "Don't you like apples? I'm sorry, I'll find you something else to eat."

The fury in her eyes faltered, changing to doubt. "What did you call them?"

"Apples," he said, still not moving. "Don't you know what apples are? They're good to eat, I promise. What did you think they were?"

Her hand loosened its grip a little. "You eat these… apples?"

Richard kept himself still. "Yes. All the time."

Embarrassment replacing her anger, she released his throat and put her fingers over her mouth. Her eyes were wide. "Richard, I'm so sorry. I didn't know you could eat these things. In the Midlands, any red fruit is deadly poison. I thought you meant to poison me."

Richard laughed as the tension went out in a rush. Kahlan laughed, too, while protesting that it wasn't funny. He took a bite to show her, then offered her another. This time she took it, but looked at it long and hard before taking a bite.

Fun fact: Show literally anyone that third paragraph and I bet you they'd never assume the context was "The hero offered the heroine an apple". Directly after this Richard goes "Hey we're at Zedd's" and then Zedd's house appears. There is no buildup at all, no transition. But thankfully, the descriptions of the place really make up for this in crazy.

quote:

Zedd's "reason" chair was empty. The reason chair was where Zedd sat and thought until he figured out the reason for whatever it was that had snagged his curiosity. He had once sat in the chair for three days straight, trying to figure out why people were always arguing over how many stars there were. He himself didn't care. He thought the question trivial, and he only wondered why people spent so much time debating the subject. At last he had stood and pronounced that it was because anyone could express his profound conviction on the subject without fear of being proven wrong, as it was impossible to know the answer. Such fools simply didn't have to worry about contradiction when proclaiming expertise. Having settled the matter, Zedd then went in the house and ate in earnest for three solid hours.

Okay. So. I'm not going to dance around this poo poo. Zedd is the wizard who singlehandedly turned the tide of the Panis Rahl wars with D'Hara ages ago, got pissed, and stormed out of the Midlands forever. I've been hustling towards his introduction partly to see if I remembered it correctly, and holy poo poo did I. Ladies and gentlemen: Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander.

quote:

The two of them walked through the tall, wild grasses that surrounded the house and up a rise to the top of a small barren hill, where the cloud rock sat. Zedd was standing on the flat cloud rock with his arched back to them, his spindly arms outstretched and his wavy white hair hanging away from his head as it tilted back in scrutiny.

Zedd was stark naked.

Richard rolled his eyes; Kahlan averted hers. Pale leathery skin draped loosely over a collection of bony projections made him look as frail as a dry stick. Richard knew him to be anything but frail, though. His bottom lacked any padding whatsoever, leaving the skin there to droop.

I edited none of that. Well... I did bold it. Because why not. Zedd is one of my favorite characters for reasons I will get into later, and we'll see if this reread reminds me of something I forgot, but he is basically "doddering wizard grandpa" incarnate, just... through that Terry Goodkind lens.

quote:

One scrawny finger rose, pointing skyward. "I knew you were coming, Richard." His voice was as thin as the rest of him.

The plain, unadorned robes that were his only clothes lay in a heap behind him. Richard bent and picked them up while Kahlan, smiling, turned around to avoid any further embarrassment. "Zedd, we have company. Put on your clothes."

"Do you know how I knew you were coming?" Still he did not move or turn.

"I would say it has something to do with a cloud that has been following me for the last few days. Here, let me help get this on you."

Zedd spun around, arms flailing in excitement. "Days! Bags! Richard, that cloud has been following you for three weeks! Ever since your father was killed! I haven't seen you since George's death. Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you. I can find a lost bug in a barn easier than I can find you when you get it in your head not to be found!"

"I've been busy. Hold your arms up so I can help you put this on." Richard shoved the robes over Zedd's outstretched arms and helped pull the folds down the bony body while the old man shrugged his way into the outfit.

"Busy! Too busy to look up once in a while? Bags, Richard, do you know where that cloud is from?" Zedd's eyes were wide with concern as his forehead wrinkled above his raised brow.

"Don't curse," Richard said.

To make this more plain: "bags" is a curse in this world. Because we can describe wizard rear end and there will be rape scenes later, but nobody is allowed to say "gently caress".

I'm just gonna take a moment here: absolutely nothing kills my immersion in a book faster than awful profanity replacements. Take something that sounds plausible, think about it for a second, if you're ever going to. One of the few things I'll point to doing this well is the Wheel of Time, because a lot of them are just profane oaths, sometimes shortened. "Blood and bloody ashes" or "Light take you" or so on - and this makes sense within that world while sometimes just hearing someone go "Light! You can't be serious" and it all fits together over time.

Someone else will probably gripe about that now and I feel bad for invoking a series I really enjoy in the middle of this mess. But I needed something to break up the concentrated crazy that is Zedd's introduction. Sorry.

quote:

"And I would say the cloud is from D'Hara."

Zedd's arms shot back into the air. "D'Hara! Yes! Very good, my boy! Tell me, what gave it away for you. Was it the texture? The density?" Zedd was becoming ever more excited as he wiggled around in his robe, dissatisfied with the way it twisted.

"Neither. It's an assumption I make based on independent information. Zedd, as I said before, we have company."

"Yes, yes, I heard you the first time." He waved the matter away with his hand. "Independent information, you say." He drew his forefinger and thumb down his smooth jaw. His hazel eyes lit up. "That's very good too. Very good, indeed! Did this information also tell you this is bad business? Well, yes, of course it did," he said, in answer to his own question. "Why are you sweating?" He put his twiglike fingers to Richard's forehead. "You have a fever," he pronounced. "Did you bring me anything to eat?"

Richard already had an apple at hand; he knew Zedd would be hungry. Zedd was always hungry. The old man bit into the apple with a vengeance.

"Zedd, please listen to me. I'm in trouble, and I need your help."

Zedd put his scrawny fingers on the top of Richard's head while he chewed, and with his thumb, lifted an eyelid. Leaning forward, he thrust his sharply featured face close to Richard's and peered into his eye, then repeated the procedure on the other eye. "I always listen to you, Richard." He lifted Richard's arm by the wrist, feeling his pulse. "And I agree, you are in trouble. In three hours, maybe four, no more, you will be unconscious."

Richard was taken aback; Kahlan looked worried, too. Zedd knew about fevers, among other things, and did not make precise pronouncements like this that ever proved in error. Richard's legs had felt weak since he awoke with chills, and he knew he was getting worse. "Can you do anything to help?"

"Probably, but it depends on what caused it. Now, stop being rude and introduce me to your girlfriend."

"Zedd, this is my friend, Kahlan Amnell…."

Lesson one: Richard has no game.

quote:

The old man peered closely into his eyes. "Oh, was I wrong? She is not a girl then?" Zedd cackled.

Lesson two: Zedd is a master of the Dad Joke.

quote:

He smiled over the trick as he shuffled to Kahlan, bowed dramatically at the waist, lifted her hand only a little, kissed it lightly, and said, "Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander, humbly at your whim, my dear young lady." He straightened himself up to have a look at her face. When their eyes met, his smile evaporated and his eyes went wide. His keen features transformed to anger. He released her hand as if he had discovered himself holding a poisonous snake. Zedd spun to Richard.
"What are you doing with this creature!"

Kahlan was calm and impassive. Richard was aghast. "Zedd…"

"Has she touched you?"

"Well, I…" Richard was trying to remember the times she had touched him, when Zedd cut him off again.

"No, of course not. I can see she hasn't. Richard, do you know what she is?" He turned to her. "She's a…"

Kahlan gave Zedd a look of such cold danger that it froze him in place.

Remember when I said I wasn't going to dance around a lot of poo poo? Let's stop dancing around Kahlan. She is a Confessor. Specifically, by being... the last? of them, she is automatically the Mother Confessor, their highest. What this means is that she has a power that will let her make someone she touches become instantly, hopelessly devoted to her forevermore. This was a power wizards gave random women ages ago because it totally made sense at the time to solve trials and things. If you wanted to prove your innocence beyond a doubt and had no evidence in your favor, you'd call for a Confessor and get turned, which would guarantee anything you said was true because you now had no reason to live besides her whims.

If you turned out to be innocent, wizards would then turn you into... I think it was like a talking dog or some poo poo, because that was the only way to give you back your faculties. We'll get to that later, but I know if I only described her power, someone was going to go "WHY WOULD THAT EVER BE A THING".

This is why the fourth dude in the quad murdered his buddies, if you missed that.

Anyway, Richard mentions quads, assuming that Zedd coming from the Midlands would have some empathy towards her predicament. It works! And then they begin filling one another in on what the gently caress went down in the prior chapters. We're 6 chapters in and we're recapping the prior ones for the third time.

quote:

Zedd bit off a chunk of carrot while thinking. "What did the vine look like?"

"It was… Wait, I still have it in my pocket." He took out the sprig and plunked it down on the table.

"Bags!" Zedd whispered. "That's a snake vine!"

Richard felt a shock of icy cold sweep through him. He knew the name from the secret book. He hoped against hope it did not mean what he feared it did.

Zedd sat back. "Well, the good part is now I know the root to use to cure the fever. The bad part is I have to find it." Zedd asked Kahlan to tell her part but to make it short, as there were things he must do and not much time. Richard thought about the story she had told in the wayward pine the night before, and wondered how she could possibly make it shorter.

"Darken Rahl, son of Panis Rahl, has put the three boxes of Orden in play," Kahlan said simply. "I have come in search of the great wizard."

Richard was thunderstruck.

From the secret book, the Book of Counted Shadows, the book his father had had him commit to memory before they destroyed it, the line jumped into his mind: And when the three boxes of Orden are put into play, the snake vine shall grow. Richard's worst nightmares— everyone's worst nightmares— were coming to pass.

And next time we find out everyone's stupid-rear end backstories. God, I wish I was joking.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander

Zedd, isn't that the name of *another* Objectionist character/hero? From that awful online "comic strip" by... Muir?

Also his last name is Zolander :spergin:

I'll agree with you on the profanity replacement, WoT is one of the few that does it in a sorta coherent way rather than just taking some random words (...bones?) and turning them into profanity,

or changing letters around on real profanity

Even when censors are at work you can at least put some real effort into it :colbert:

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
You didn't include the part where the wizard actually puts his clothes on so I'm gonna go ahead and imagine ol' Zed'ic'us''' is naked for the rest of the novel. Whenever he says "Bags!" it's because his inscrutably droopy and wizened ball sack has gotten stuck to or caught on something.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MartianAgitator posted:

You didn't include the part where the wizard actually puts his clothes on so I'm gonna go ahead and imagine ol' Zed'ic'us''' is naked for the rest of the novel. Whenever he says "Bags!" it's because his inscrutably droopy and wizened ball sack has gotten stuck to or caught on something.

I actually did, but it's hard to notice given that it comes in three disjointed mentions in that massive conversation about D'Haran cloud technology.

I may slam out a second post tonight because chapter 7 is a whole bunch of exposition and I can condense that really handily.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Zedd, isn't that the name of *another* Objectionist character/hero?

Noted enemy of teamwork and cooperation Lord Zedd?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I actually did, but it's hard to notice given that it comes in three disjointed mentions in that massive conversation about D'Haran cloud technology.

I may slam out a second post tonight because chapter 7 is a whole bunch of exposition and I can condense that really handily.

Don't care; post promised wizard scrote, that wizard scrote is now named "Bags."

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Zedd is basically the shittiest Gandalf

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Honestly, I don't remember ever not liking zedd when I read through the books (general hatred of stupid exposition and nonsense aside). I wonder if that will change.

I also thought Wheel of Time was hot poo poo back then too, up until...oh, I forget. The book where chosen protagonist loses his hand?

Grimpond fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 6, 2014

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Grimpond posted:

Honestly, I don't remember ever not liking zedd when I read through the books (general hatred of stupid exposition and nonsense aside). I wonder if that will change.

I also thought Wheel of Time was hot poo poo back then too, up until...oh, I forget. The book where chosen protagonist loses his hand?

If you're going to like someone from these books, Zedd's a pretty solid choice. Particularly given his competition. Even if someone writes a really lovely book, if it has a large enough cast, at least one or two of the characters have to end up with "would be cool if they existed in another series" status eventually.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 6, 2014

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

If I remember it correctly, his bits in the wheel of time city were the only part of that section I thought was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Chapter 7 is three sets of backstory as Richard hallucinates in a fever.

Richard is tripping balls from the thorn in his blood, while Kahlan watches over him in his sleep, and Zedd is out searching for the herb needed to cure him. He keeps seeing Kahlan as his mother, and flashing back to his father and THAT BOOK.

quote:

He remembered how his father had taken him to the secret place in the woods, and had told him how he had saved the Book of Counted Shadows from the peril it was in from the beast that guarded it until its master could come. How he had brought it with him to Westland to keep it from those covetous hands, hands that the keeper of the book didn't know threatened. His father had told him how there was danger as long as the book existed, but he couldn't destroy the knowledge in it; he had no right. It belonged to the keeper of the book, and it must be kept safe until it could be returned. The only way to do that was to commit the book to memory, and then burn it. Only in that way could the knowledge be preserved, but not stolen, as it otherwise surely would be.

His father chose Richard. That it was to be Richard and not Michael was for reasons of his own. No one could know of the book, not even Michael; only the keeper of the book, no one else, only the keeper. He said Richard might never find the keeper, and in that case he was to pass the book on to his child, and then that child to his own, and so on, for as long as was necessary. His father couldn't tell him who the keeper of the book was, as he didn't know. Richard asked how he was to know the keeper, but his father said only that he would have to find the answer himself, and not to tell anyone, ever, except the keeper. His father told Richard he was not to tell his own brother, or even his best friend, Zedd.

Richard swore on his life.

Richard would write down what he memorized and check it against the book. Each time, his father burned the papers and had him do it again. His father apologized every day for the burden he was placing on Richard. He asked for forgiveness from his son at the end of every day in the woods.

Richard never resented having to learn the book; he considered it an honor to be entrusted by his father. He wrote the book from beginning to end a hundred times without error before he satisfied himself that he could never forget a single word. He knew by reading it that any word left out would spell disaster.

When he assured his father that it was committed to memory, they put the book back in the hiding place in the rocks and left it for three years. After that time, when Richard was beyond his middle teens, they returned one fall day and his father said if Richard could write the whole book, without a single mistake, they could both be satisfied it was learned perfectly and they would burn the book. Richard wrote without hesitation from beginning to end. It was perfect.

Together they built a fire, stacking on more than enough wood, until the heat drove them back. His father handed him the book, and told him that if he was sure, to throw the book into the fire. Richard held the Book of Counted Shadows in the crook of his arm, running his fingers over the leather cover. He held his father's trust in his arms, held the trust of everyone in his arms, and he felt the weight of the burden. He gave the book to the fire. In that moment, he was no longer a child.

The flames swirled around the book, embracing, caressing, consuming. Colors and forms spiraled up, and a roaring cry came forth. Strange beams of light shot skyward. Wind made their cloaks flap as the fire sucked leaves and twigs into itself, adding to the flames and heat. Phantoms appeared, spreading their arms as if being fed by the blaze, their voices racing away on the wind. The two of them stood as if turned to stone, unable to move, unable even to turn away from the sight. Searing heat turned to wind as cold as the deepest winter night, sending chills up their spines, taking their breath from them. Then the cold was gone and the fire turned to a white light that consumed everything in its brightness, as if they were standing in the sun. Just as suddenly, it was gone. In its place, silence. The fire was out. Wisps of smoke rose slowly from the blackened wood into the autumn air. The book was gone. Richard knew what he had seen; he had seen magic.

This is it. This is the entirety of what Richard does this chapter. I think he's like 8-10 at this point.

After his return, Zedd and Kahlan chatter on about why the hell she thought trekking to the Westlands at the cost of 5 wizards' lives and god knows what else was a good plan. The first half goes something like this:

Zedd: So why in god's name are you alone?
Kahlan: My wizard sold out, maaaaaaan.
Zedd: Corporate wizards are tools. That's why I left.
Kahlan: Wait, you're old as balls. Did you know THAT MAN?
Zedd: Yes. I did. He would totally not help you though.

And finally we get to the actual reason she's looking for him:

quote:

There was bitterness in her expression. "Zedd, Darken Rahl has used quads to kill all the other Confessors. I found my sister after they were finished with her. She died in my arms. With all the others dead, that leaves only me. The wizards knew their teacher did not want to help, so they sent me as the last hope. If he is too foolish to see that in helping us, he helps himself, then I must use my power against him, to make him help."

Zedd raised an eyebrow. "And what is one dried-up old wizard to do against the power of this Darken Rahl?" He was now holding her hands in his.

"He must appoint a Seeker."

"What!" Zedd jumped to his feet. "Dear one, you don't know what you are talking about."

Confused, Kahlan leaned back a little. "What do you mean?"

"Seekers appoint themselves. The wizard just sort of recognizes what has happened, and makes it official."

"I don't understand. I thought the wizard picked the person, the right person."

Zedd sat back down, rubbing his chin. "Well, that's true in a sense, but backwards. A true Seeker, one who can make a difference, must show himself to be a Seeker. The wizard doesn't point to someone and say, 'Here is the Sword of Truth, you will be the Seeker.' He doesn't really have a choice in the matter. It isn't something you can train someone for. One should simply be a Seeker and show himself to be so by his actions. A wizard must watch a person for years to be sure. A Seeker doesn't have to be the smartest person, but he has to be the right person; he has to have the right qualities within himself. A true Seeker is a rare person.

"The Seeker is a balance point of power. The council made the appointment a political bone to be thrown to one of the sniveling dogs at their feet. It was a sought-after post because of the power a Seeker wields. But the council didn't understand: it wasn't the post that brought the power to the person, it was the person that brought the power to the post."

He edged closer to her. "Kahlan, you were born after the council took this power upon itself, so you may have seen a Seeker when you were young, but in those days they were pretend Seekers; you have never seen the real thing." His eyes got round in the telling, his voice low and full of passion. "I have seen a true Seeker make a king quake in his boots with the asking of a single question. When a real Seeker draws the Sword of Truth…" He held his hands up and rolled his eyes in delight. "Righteous anger can be an extraordinary thing to behold." Kahlan smiled at his excitement. "It can make the good tremble with joy, and the wicked shiver in fear." The smile left his face. "But people rarely believe the truth when they see it and less so when they don't want to, and that makes the position of Seeker a dangerous one. He is an obstacle to those who would subvert power. He draws lightning from many sides. Most often he stands alone, and frequently not long."

So really most of the final paragraph is a thing, but the bolded lines are key here. Objectivism is basically founded on the myth of the ubermensch in a lot of ways, how there are singular strong individuals who rise above others. Usually angrily. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of a single Objectivist work where a lone dude being angrily sociopathic isn't celebrated. (One later SoT novel is basically The Fountainhead, With Wizards, for instance. Really, really close.) You notice how Richard's been trying to keep his anger in check so far a few times? Yeah, that's going to stop at some point and we'll see some real trainwrecks.

Reminder: we are supposed to like these characters for these actions. Zedd's totally getting into adult temper time, for instance!

Anyway, with her backstory explained, and a Seeker of Truth namedropped once more, they prepare the tonic and cure Richard. She refuses to leave his side, so just to be safe, he magicks her to sleep... and then Zedd goes outside, gets bloody, wizards the poo poo out of things, and summons his dead parents.

No, really.

quote:

A fly bit his neck. He swatted it angrily, picked the offender off his neck, and glared at it. "Blood fly. Bags. I thought as much," he complained.

From the brush near by, something came toward him in a terrible rush. Wings and fur and teeth came charging. Hands on his hips. Zedd waited. Just before it was on him, he held up a hand, bringing the short-tailed gar to a lurching halt. It was half again as tall as he, full grown, and twice as fierce as a long-tailed gar. The beast growled and blinked, its great muscles flexing as it fought against the force that kept it from reaching out and grabbing the old man. It was furious that it had not yet killed him.

Zedd reached up and with a crooked finger beckoned it to lean closer. The gar, panting in rage, bent toward him. Zedd jammed his finger hard under its chin.

"What is your name?" he hissed. The beast grunted twice and made a sound from deep in its throat. Zedd gave a nod. "I will remember it. Tell me, do you wish to live, or to die?" The gar struggled to back away, but was unable to. "Good. Then you will do exactly as I say. Somewhere between here and D'Hara, a quad comes this way. Hunt them and kill them. When you have done so, go back to D'Hara, to where you came from. Do these things and I will let you live, but I will remember your name, and if you fail to kill the quad, or ever come back after your task is done, I will kill you and feed you to your flies. Do you agree to my terms?" The gar grunted an acknowledgment. "Good. Then be gone." Zedd removed his finger from under the gar's chin.

Scrambling to get away, the beast flapped its wings frantically, beating down the grass as it stumbled along. At last the gar was airborne. Zedd watched it as it circled, searching for the quad. As the hunt moved steadily east, the circles seemed to get smaller until the old man could no longer see the beast. Only then did he continue on to the top of the hill.

Standing next to his cloud rock, Zedd pointed down at it and began turning his bony finger in a circle as if stirring a stew. The massive rock grated against the ground as it tried to revolve with the movement of Zedd's finger. The rock shuddered, trying to rotate its own weight. Popping and snapping, it fractured, sending hairline cracks shooting across its surface. Its trembling bulk struggled against the force being applied. The granular structure of the stone began to soften. Unable to maintain its state any longer, the texture of the rock liquefied enough to allow its mass to rotate with the movement of the finger above it. Gradually the speed of Zedd's stirring increased until light erupted from the rotating liquid rock.

The rock abruptly solidified and Zedd stepped atop it, into the light. The brightness faded to a faint glow that swirled like smoke. Before him stood two apparitions, mere shadows of form. Where sharpness should have been, their shapes softened like a dim memory, yet they were still recognizable, and the sight of them brought a quickness to Zedd's heart.

His mother's voice came hollow and distant. "What troubles you, son? Why have you called us after so many years?" Her arms stretched out to him.

Zedd's dead parents are actually really reasonable people, raising the point "So you left the Midlands because all your students sold out for greed rather than using their powers the right way - what exactly are you doing if you just faff about out in the wilderness instead of appointing a drat Seeker? Also it's Richard and we all know it. Also also Kahlan's unaware that Rahl doesn't have all the boxes so you have some breathing room. Okay, don't call us anytime soon, summoning the dead again might bust the land of the dead wide open! See you, son!"

That might not have been a singular point so much as 10 pages of conversation cut down to a paragraph. I don't care. It's late and I have more work at 6AM, haha. That's Chapter 7! Have the deep inner monologue of Zedd as the chapter closes.

quote:

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander, the great and honorable wizard, stood alone on the wizard's rock his father had given him, and stared out into the night, thinking wizard's thoughts.
"Nothing is ever easy," he whispered.