Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, is what you make now big enough that you can live on half?

It's doable. It's not comfortable, but it's doable. Luckily, my wife is in charge of the finances, and because of that we have a decent cushion, which would be used up with moving costs and then ratcheting our expenses down. I don't know though. Half pay feels like such a step backwards even though everything else is a step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Well, then I'd say it depends on where you're at in your life. If you're in a position where you can afford to be poor... pffft. gently caress no. Don't do it. I died on that cross for years working in kitchens, and let me tell you what I learned.

No amount of personal satisfaction at work beats knowing the bills are paid.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Shampoo posted:

Should I take a job that moves me where I want to go, has me doing what I want to be doing, is packed with opportunity and a chance to do something that I like, but pays HALF what I make now?

If you hate what you do now, but would love what you would be doing and get paid well enough to actually live off the income with room for growth then the equation changes to what intrinsically motivates you?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

keykey posted:

If you hate what you do now, but would love what you would be doing and get paid well enough to actually live off the income with room for growth then the equation changes to what intrinsically motivates you?

It's tough, I don't hate my job now, I hate the commute. It's nearly two hours on various mass transit systems (each way) and it's in the Boston Metro area so it's expensive. Moving to this job would mean we move out to the Albany area where things are cheaper (though no half price) and we'd be able to live closer to work, but then my wife would have to get work too to make up the difference. She's a BA, so it's not like there's a shortage of jobs for her, but it's still something to think about.

I want to be able to spend more time with my daughter than I can now since I'm on the train for a sixth of the day, but the point is moot if I can't make enough for us to enjoy our lives with her. Scraping by with an infant is not what I want to do, but there aren't jobs like I want in the Albany area that pay even close to what I get now in Boston. I've been looking for about 10 months now, so it's not that long, but it's pretty discouraging. If it wasn't for the pay, this job I'm in line for would be perfect right down to the industry.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The way you need to factor what you're living off of now is total pay minus transportation cost divided by hours of work + 4 for transit. That's your real pay, just because you get paid for 8 doesn't mean that you're off the clock when you commute, the money keeps going down per hour. If you're close enough to the new job that you can get there in 15 minutes, then you have just saved yourself 3.5 hours a day, so close to a part time job. In a total month you've saved 75.83 hours that you can spend with your daughter instead. On to the growth, what type of growth is at the potential job, personal or financial?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CornHolio posted:

The company I work for just for awarded a $30 million contract from the government for about 660 vehicles. :marc:

I fully plan on taking an extended poop in the middle of designing the truck, so know that your tax dollars went to me dropping a deuce.

Only the old ones are known as deuces :spergin: And please make sure you tie parachutes on before dropping them.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I worked for a NASA contractor for 3 years. Y'all paid for a lot of my poopin'

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Phone posted:

The ending to Initial D was pretty good.

I thought it was fitting.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cat Terrist posted:

Nah, I just farted. I fart new car smell.

My farts smell like propane. And propane accessories.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My farts smell like propane. And propane accessories.

I get gunpowder.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

keykey posted:

The way you need to factor what you're living off of now is total pay minus transportation cost divided by hours of work + 4 for transit. That's your real pay, just because you get paid for 8 doesn't mean that you're off the clock when you commute, the money keeps going down per hour. If you're close enough to the new job that you can get there in 15 minutes, then you have just saved yourself 3.5 hours a day, so close to a part time job. In a total month you've saved 75.83 hours that you can spend with your daughter instead. On to the growth, what type of growth is at the potential job, personal or financial?

That's a way to think about it that I wasn't counting on. It makes a good point. For the growth, ideally both, but to begin with, personal growth. I'm a (senior level) IT janitor now, this job would put me in charge of the IT janitors. Just a few and a Team Lead rather than a full on manager, so a way to get experience.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Geirskogul posted:

Also, everyone buy an ACVW, so we can enjoy the pain as a group.

Per the OP, I bought a 63 Baja bug for $800!

edit: the one piece fiberglass front end and the 69 magnesium cased single port 1600 are each worth the $800 I paid!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here's some more bankchat:

I have Wells Fargo with a Way2Save account which for anyone who doesn't know, transfers a dollar from checking into savings every time I use my debit card. For a while it was great and allowed me to effortlessly save up a couple hundred dollars which I could then spend on frivolous bullshit (it's not my primary savings account).

Well, because girlfriends are expensive, I've been finding myself constantly transferring the balance of the Way2Save account back into checking. It got to be a hassle so I requested it be closed after I completed a transfer and it was at a zero balance. I got a response back saying "Your account will be closed in four business days." Well four business days later is today and I get a message saying "Oh, there have been further transfers into the account so we can't close it, bye."

I transferred that entire amount (something like loving $9) back into checking and said "Okay, it's back at zero balance, please close it immediately." The response I got was "Okay, we'll close it in four business days." I wrote back and said "Sorry, that's unacceptable, that would mean I'd have to go from today until Tuesday the 7th without using my debit card at all. That's unrealistic and unreasonable." Their response? "Okay, we'll close it in TWO business days."

gently caress big banks, is what I'm saying. I should really just move all of my banking to my credit union...that has exactly one branch in town, and it's not close. gently caress.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Shampoo posted:

That's a way to think about it that I wasn't counting on. It makes a good point. For the growth, ideally both, but to begin with, personal growth. I'm a (senior level) IT janitor now, this job would put me in charge of the IT janitors. Just a few and a Team Lead rather than a full on manager, so a way to get experience.

If the new job title has something along the lines of manager instead of senior, then the title alone would be worth the switch because then you can gain experience in management, think of it as an internship whereas you're building experience for future growth potential in lieu of pay. If it's another senior position, well it comes back to motivation again. If it is a management position, scope out the current management for retirement/etc. as far as how fast and when you can start climbing. It's never too early to think about the end game. Also, start digging into requirements for advancement if it requires certain pieces of paper, etc. If it does, then get it even if you don't advance there, it never hurts to have extra pieces of "i r smart" paper for future advancement elsewhere.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

Here's some more bankchat:

I have Wells Fargo with a Way2Save account which for anyone who doesn't know, transfers a dollar from checking into savings every time I use my debit card. For a while it was great and allowed me to effortlessly save up a couple hundred dollars which I could then spend on frivolous bullshit (it's not my primary savings account).

Well, because girlfriends are expensive, I've been finding myself constantly transferring the balance of the Way2Save account back into checking. It got to be a hassle so I requested it be closed after I completed a transfer and it was at a zero balance. I got a response back saying "Your account will be closed in four business days." Well four business days later is today and I get a message saying "Oh, there have been further transfers into the account so we can't close it, bye."

I transferred that entire amount (something like loving $9) back into checking and said "Okay, it's back at zero balance, please close it immediately." The response I got was "Okay, we'll close it in four business days." I wrote back and said "Sorry, that's unacceptable, that would mean I'd have to go from today until Tuesday the 7th without using my debit card at all. That's unrealistic and unreasonable." Their response? "Okay, we'll close it in TWO business days."

gently caress big banks, is what I'm saying. I should really just move all of my banking to my credit union...that has exactly one branch in town, and it's not close. gently caress.

Take a stack of cash out, pay with cash for awhile? Then close both accounts and tell them why.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

If any of you have a machine you don't value, windows 10 technical preview is out now and can be downloaded: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought it was Windows 9? 7 8 9?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just heard there was a turbocharged fabric mill under development in China, but they keep having trouble with the wastegate getting plugged with yarn and opening too slowly... right now, it can only make compressor serge :v:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

keykey posted:

If any of you have a machine you don't value, windows 10 technical preview is out now and can be downloaded: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Here's the direct link to the download: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso If you're on a Mac, they won't let you in from the above like "Your operating system isn't supported"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

I thought it was Windows 9? 7 8 9?

Nope. Nine was eaten. Ten is the next Windows.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

Nope. Nine was eaten. Ten is the next Windows.

Yeah, seven ate nine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That joke is never going to get old ever not in a million years ever.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I think it would have been awesome to have had 2 major point releases, Windows 9.5/9.8. It seems logical that 10 will be MS next real solid OS, they've had a track record recently of standard/testing/standard/testing starting with XP then Vista then 7 then 8. I have a Yoga and 8 works perfect on it, over 2 years I've not had a single blue screen and from cold boot I can still be in windows in 7 seconds which is faster than my ipad with a stripped down os. The real issue I have with 8 is MS went whole hog on the touch interface which really crippled it as a usable standard desktop OS.

edit: Just got it up and running and it's basically a live tiled start menu windows 7 with skydrive integration (it pulled over my user settings and files automatically from my laptop profile including desktop wallpaper from skydrive). And it has a multiple desktop thing going like linux that I'm digging so far. IE is still 11, but that's to be expected. It's missing some TPM and serial drivers, but that's to be expected, major devices like audio/video/network are present, it's a drat far sight better than the 8 preview and it actually performs like a regular machine would as well instead of the clunky previews that they've released in the past.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 1, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

That joke is never going to get old ever not in a million years ever.

Too bad Viggen isn't here to yell at me for picking the low hanging fruit. :D

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Welp, my boss is loading a shotgun with pink slips. My job is fairly safe atm, but the people he's fired were all in fairly critical positions that he hasn't made any arrangements to fill and that's going to make this job suck. I've thinking about printing some resumes anyway, I guess this is as good an excuse as any.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Hahaha, drat.. That guy gets more probations than anyone else. :allears:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

meatpimp posted:

You're even more obsessed with him than I am, what's up with that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bro love can run deep.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hi, everyone.

*fucks back off without creating a scene*

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Bro love can run deep.

Motronic knows.

Bucephalus posted:

Hi, everyone.

Oh, you created your scene already.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bucephalus posted:

Hi, everyone.

Sup dude.

No mods no masters? Did IOC murder/suicide after that wackjob asked a shop for a quote on restoring the ranger he was/is selling or something? :ohdear:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This ain't a scene, it's a goddamn arms race.

I spent the last 2 hours well, watching videos and animations on manual milling. I want to start playing with the machine at work. I am thoroughly under the delusion it doesn't look that hard :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Bro love can run deep.

Hell yes.

*zips fly*

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

cursedshitbox posted:

Hell yes.

*zips fly*

I misread that as "unzips fly" at first and I was gonna post a picture of the "gaaaaaaay" seal, but, whelp. You got me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

This ain't a scene, it's a goddamn arms race.

I spent the last 2 hours well, watching videos and animations on manual milling. I want to start playing with the machine at work. I am thoroughly under the delusion it doesn't look that hard :v:
You know, my place may have an old Bridgeport Interact with a dead axis board going begging in the near future...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If you haven't already done so, you've got four days left to submit your Sheep Game answers! The deadline for submission is 11pm Pacific Time on Saturday, with the big reveal starting on Sunday at 3pm Pacific Time.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Motronic posted:

Bro love can run deep.

I get that, but I wouldn't call what meatpimp and Viggen have bro love.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

goatse guy posted:

I get that, but I wouldn't call what meatpimp and Viggen have bro love.

You seem to as interested, or more, than either one of us... :nallears:

Edit: I've never said anything publicly about Viggen other than standard ribbing and/or hoping he gets help in his recovery. He has escalated things via PM, and yeah, I've tweaked him there, but come on... it's so easy... as he says -- low hanging fruit, and all. :)

In other news, my two eBay Chinesium HUDs came today -- super fast and super cheap. I won't be able to install them until early next week, but for $10 each? Hella buy. For the normal price of about $40 each? Still a really good buy. They come with a translucent reflective sheet for the windshield and a sticky thing for the dash, along with a flat cable for easy routing from the OBDII port to the HUD unit.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

meatpimp posted:

In other news, my two eBay Chinesium HUDs came today -- super fast and super cheap. I won't be able to install them until early next week, but for $10 each? Hella buy. For the normal price of about $40 each? Still a really good buy. They come with a translucent reflective sheet for the windshield and a sticky thing for the dash, along with a flat cable for easy routing from the OBDII port to the HUD unit.
Take pictures please! I saw those things months ago but never found any in-use pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

InitialDave posted:

You know, my place may have an old Bridgeport Interact with a dead axis board going begging in the near future...

What's wrong with the board? I can almost certainly fix it, unless it's REALLY far gone.

What I'm saying is send Cakefool to fetch the bridgeport, ship the board over here, I'll fix it and ship it to him. I gotta finish up a few other things and ship them off soon anyways.

• Locked thread