Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, I did what was probably a stupid thing, but I got super lucky. I installed an electronic ignition (compu fire) in the beetle, and then, without testing it, I installed a brand new carburetor. Then I turned the key, and the fucker fired right up. Only adjustment I had to do was take the throttle spring from the old carburetor off and put it on the new one, as the new carburetor's throttle spring was way, way too tight, and made the pedal quite difficult to push down. The throttle was also quite notchy with the high spring tension. Other than that (and bench-adjusting the air and fuel bleed/idle screws, as you should always do), the car is running very nice.

I also got a cooler master storm quickfire xt keyboard with cherry mx green switches in it, and it's a loving beauty to type on. Like an IBM model M, but slightly less noisy. Went from an average of 85wpm to 100 or so after a quick 20 minute adjustment period. I know that it's no STR with his 120wpm hyperspeed typing, but I'm still really happy about it.

Anybody want to buy a working, if ugly, Solex h30/31 pict carburetor? Or some beetle bumpers and bumper mounts, or elephant's foot taillights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cage posted:

Take pictures please! I saw those things months ago but never found any in-use pictures.

That right there, also a video if it's possible. I've not seen any actual usage or anything of any of the units.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

What's wrong with the board? I can almost certainly fix it, unless it's REALLY far gone.

What I'm saying is send Cakefool to fetch the bridgeport, ship the board over here, I'll fix it and ship it to him. I gotta finish up a few other things and ship them off soon anyways.
No idea, no-one seems to want to fix it. Probably a cap that's shuffled its last or something.

I suspect replacement would be easier anyway, unless I'm mistaken, all three axes are interchangeable for boards. Just need to find the right one.

Really, if Cakefool wants it, I can find out if there's a possibility of a free-to-collect arrangement on the thing if it's being scrapped. Big lump of metal, though. I've got nowhere to put it, and no way to power it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so there's a guy at work who's probably loving poo poo up and he's blaming me and other people

management is maybe on to him, so their solution is to make us do extra work to prove he's the idiot

I love being an adult :suicide:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Sup dude.

No mods no masters? Did IOC murder/suicide after that wackjob asked a shop for a quote on restoring the ranger he was/is selling or something? :ohdear:

I was asleep, and I didn't feel like changing the thread title to "STR STOP EATING RANCID TURKEY".

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was asleep, and I didn't feel like changing the thread title to "STR STOP EATING RANCID TURKEY".

:effort:

STR ruins everything.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Also I accidentally got a date for this weekend all because I told some guy that I like Legos.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

^ Legos are awesome, girls who like Legos are also awesome.

Also, any of you guys see the new Lamborghini hybrid? I'm digging it, it looks drat good.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

The Midniter posted:

gently caress big banks, is what I'm saying. I should really just move all of my banking to my credit union...that has exactly one branch in town, and it's not close. gently caress.

Everyone should use credit unions. Instead of the usual car loan run-around, this time I used my credit union, I had refinanced the M3 with them previously for better service and lower rates. New car? No problem - no change of anything, same rate, different car. It was approved by humans because Viper, but it still took 5 minutes.

And that's before I mention their ATM rebate (anywhere in the world) 1:1 market (this is important, pretty much no one else does this) exchange rate for all forex, and the excellent customer service.

Don't use corporate banks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today I drove next to a hellcat and was :gizz: the entire time.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

T1g4h posted:

Also, any of you guys see the new Lamborghini hybrid? I'm digging it, it looks drat good.

The proportions are killing me, I keep looking at the front end thinking it's an SUV but my eyes go to the back and it's back to funky supercar aero. :derp:

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

T1g4h posted:

^ Legos are awesome, girls who like Legos are also awesome.

Just me?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nope, at first glance there are a LOT of derivative lines in that car, not the least of which a Bugatti rip-off rear 3/4.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Not just you, I can see the resemblance. Side effect of them both being owned by VAG maybe?

Also, the Asterion's rear end styling looks pretty :krad:, imo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

Also I accidentally got a date for this weekend all because I told some guy that I like Legos.
Assuming they're not gently caress ugly, you get some, and you get home alive afterward, I'm not sure I see the problem.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Signed up for amazon prime to look for something to send the gf while she's in treatment in LA. Amazon was like hey bro you wanna send that poo poo coast to coast in 18 hours from order to confirmed delivery? For $3.99? Bullshit you can, I loving dare you.

:stare:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Welcome to the future. Now you can watch the remastered Star Trek episodes too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Can a late 70s Mercedes be a good alternative?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

Welcome to the future. Now you can watch the remastered Star Trek episodes too.

Before or after Kirk ate the Enterprise?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

Before or after Kirk ate the Enterprise?

Both.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Signed up for amazon prime to look for something to send the gf while she's in treatment in LA. Amazon was like hey bro you wanna send that poo poo coast to coast in 18 hours from order to confirmed delivery? For $3.99? Bullshit you can, I loving dare you.

On the flip side, I just sent a complaint e-mail off to Amazon's customer service because they use USPS last-mile shipping in my area (from a warehouse about 300 miles away) and my lazy-rear end postal carrier not only won't deliver things to my door, he doesn't even bother checking to see if anyone's home. All packages go directly to my property's rental office, even though we have package-delivery mailboxes at the two (TWO WHOLE) mailbox stations for the couple-hundred apartments here.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The last time I did coke it was off the top of my brother's NGE anime tin case thing

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

You Am I posted:

Can a late 70s Mercedes be a good alternative?

I'm not that picky.

InitialDave posted:

Assuming they're not gently caress ugly, you get some, and you get home alive afterward, I'm not sure I see the problem.

The getting home alive afterward part is what concerns me.

But hey, been back on tinder for all of a few hours and I'm already out on a date.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

No idea, no-one seems to want to fix it. Probably a cap that's shuffled its last or something.

I suspect replacement would be easier anyway, unless I'm mistaken, all three axes are interchangeable for boards. Just need to find the right one.

Really, if Cakefool wants it, I can find out if there's a possibility of a free-to-collect arrangement on the thing if it's being scrapped. Big lump of metal, though. I've got nowhere to put it, and no way to power it.

Wow, thanks for the offer. I'm in the process of selling/buying, but the new place will have a garage, if it's likely to hang around long enough I want it for sure. How big/heavy is it? 3 phase I assume?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So my boss and I were talking about his moving to a new store - Friday is his last day at my store.

He mentioned he wasn't planning on taking anyone with him - then said "unless you want to go with me". We discussed it briefly, and agreed to talk a bit more about it next time I see him.

Between what I know of the incoming GM, and knowing my boss is going to a much busier store with a smaller + denser delivery area (and a lot closer to home)... yeah, we're going to discuss it.

Geirskogul posted:

I also got a cooler master storm quickfire xt keyboard with cherry mx green switches in it, and it's a loving beauty to type on. Like an IBM model M, but slightly less noisy. Went from an average of 85wpm to 100 or so after a quick 20 minute adjustment period. I know that it's no STR with his 120wpm hyperspeed typing, but I'm still really happy about it.

Oh, you. :allears:

I'm probably closer to 80 on the keyboard I have now, but this year has been the destroyer of keyboards for me, so I refuse to drop more than $15 on one. I'm on my 3rd or 4th so far.

meatpimp posted:

:effort:

STR ruins everything.

:sonia:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Prime is pretty awesome like that, though I still have major issues with them not allowing you to pick what carrier gets it. When I lived in dorms, UPS and Fedex could deliver to the dorms (they'd drop packages off at the front desk, front desk would call me and let me know I had a package), but not to my PO Box. USPS could deliver to a PO Box that the university paid for, clear across campus - but not the dorms. I learned the hard way that even selecting overnight sometimes still means USPS.. which was more than a bit annoying with a semester's worth of textbooks getting returned by USPS.

Granted, that's kind of a unique situation, but it's pretty common in a dorms.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Mother of God... can't loving sleep tonight. Been laying here for three hours, tossing and turning, can't make my dumb brain shut the gently caress up. It's too busy thinking about my hosed up marriage and doing mental gymnastics to justify putting myself through personal hell trying to put something back together that she'll probably just poo poo all over the next time she gets a bee in her bonnet about something silly.

My brain is being a total dick tonight.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Try meditation. Seriously.

Or go see a shrink, therapy really helps through tough times.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I got a plug-n-play Megasquirt (microsquirt) for my E30 from a guy on the r3v forums and it's in a Motronic housing and uses all the stock sensors and plugs right into the harness.

It's totally awesome, he put a stock tune on it, and I've been running it for 6 months or so. I have a wideband and the AFRs are great.

I just want to play with the tune but I don't know how to use the software. Anyone use megasquirt I can chat with?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=202653

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
What do you want to know about MS?

As far as tuning software, tunerstudio is the best hands down.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Shampoo posted:

It's tough, I don't hate my job now, I hate the commute. It's nearly two hours on various mass transit systems (each way) and it's in the Boston Metro area so it's expensive. Moving to this job would mean we move out to the Albany area where things are cheaper (though no half price) and we'd be able to live closer to work, but then my wife would have to get work too to make up the difference. She's a BA, so it's not like there's a shortage of jobs for her, but it's still something to think about.

I want to be able to spend more time with my daughter than I can now since I'm on the train for a sixth of the day, but the point is moot if I can't make enough for us to enjoy our lives with her. Scraping by with an infant is not what I want to do, but there aren't jobs like I want in the Albany area that pay even close to what I get now in Boston. I've been looking for about 10 months now, so it's not that long, but it's pretty discouraging. If it wasn't for the pay, this job I'm in line for would be perfect right down to the industry.

I know its like a day old but go and check out this thread in BFC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603093

Some guys have gotten hefty movement bonuses or relocation packages from simply negotiating over there new job.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Apparently our very own moderator is paying for advertising on SA - just saw this ad pop up, in this very thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Wow, thanks for the offer. I'm in the process of selling/buying, but the new place will have a garage, if it's likely to hang around long enough I want it for sure. How big/heavy is it? 3 phase I assume?
I'm afraid it looks like someone's knocked some sense into them, and they're having it repaired after all, sorry.

For the record it's an Interact 300, maybe a 6'x6' footprint and about 2.5 tons.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

some texas redneck posted:

Apparently our very own moderator is paying for advertising on SA - just saw this ad pop up, in this very thread.

Soooooo ......... he's about to teach us how to count?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

I'm afraid it looks like someone's knocked some sense into them, and they're having it repaired after all, sorry.

Aww...

quote:

For the record it's an Interact 300, maybe a 6'x6' footprint and about 2.5 tons.

Ahhahaaahahaaaaha. Heh, there was no chance I'd have been able to take that honestly, that's half a single garage if the pad didn't go all Kasteins basement on me and drop it on the morlocks.

And thanks for the offer Kastein.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

Take pictures please! I saw those things months ago but never found any in-use pictures.

Crappy picture of a temporary installation, but here it is with the translucent sheet taped to the windshield with both front and back protective coverings still on:

I tried to take a quick video, but the camera couldn't focus on the reflected image. It is nice and clear and bright, though. Perhaps a bit too bright for nighttime, I'll have to see.

Both the adhesive pad that is provided for the unit to sit on and the translucent reflective sheet are way too big for this unit. Once I get it in place and see what works, I think I'll be able to cut the size of the windshield sheet by at least two-thirds... It should be very unobtrusive.

It's something that I'll play with, but I don't see making it a permanent installation.

One note: You can change the speed display to MPH, but the fuel consumption remains shown as liters/100km. Who uses crazy weirdo units like that???

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 2, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Soooooo ......... he's about to teach us how to count?

Ok: http://youtu.be/B-Wd-Q3F8KM

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

Crappy picture of a temporary installation, but here it is with the translucent sheet taped to the windshield with both front and back protective coverings still on:

I tried to take a quick video, but the camera couldn't focus on the reflected image. It is nice and clear and bright, though. Perhaps a bit too bright for nighttime, I'll have to see.

Both the adhesive pad that is provided for the unit to sit on and the translucent reflective sheet are way too big for this unit. Once I get it in place and see what works, I think I'll be able to cut the size of the windshield sheet by at least two-thirds... It should be very unobtrusive.

It's something that I'll play with, but I don't see making it a permanent installation.

One note: You can change the speed display to MPH, but the fuel consumption remains shown as liters/100km. Who uses crazy weirdo units like that???

Is the reflected image focused at like 15-20 yards like a HUD is supposed to be, or is it focused right at the display or windshield? Optics are magic to me, but it is supposed to be the former so you can read the display without taking your focus off the road. I have no idea how you focus an image at a distance farther out that it is, so I can't explain how it works or why.

Basically if the optics and display element work how they are supposed to I might go for a couple of the 10 dollar ones and see if I can hack on the firmware or just swap out the microcontroller and make it do exactly what I want.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Sorry about the late-night cat snapchats guys, I can't help myself.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Anphear posted:

I know its like a day old but go and check out this thread in BFC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603093

Some guys have gotten hefty movement bonuses or relocation packages from simply negotiating over there new job.

This is super handy, thanks! It's looking good for the position, I think they're going to offer it next week. I'll give negotiation a shot. It's a state job though (with SUNY) so the negotiation opportunities might be limited, but I won't know until I try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CornHolio posted:

Sorry about the late-night cat snapchats guys, I can't help myself.

Im up at strange rear end hours with work, so any one is welcome to snapchat the poo poo out of me.

In other news, Mediacom had issues with their back end systems on their network. I called up and said that my end was fine, that if I can access their local pages, that my equipment is fine and its their end. So what do they do? They gently caress with my router/cable modem and then none of my devices will connect to the router any more.

Tech support :downs: Well, you have to many devices connected to the router.
Myself :argh: I am pretty sure every thing worked fine before, it was fine until you guys reset my router or what ever.
:downs: Well, sir, 3 devices is to many
:argh: I have 5 devices on the router and it never had an issues, 2 phones, 2 tablets and 1 laptop. That should hardly give an issues seeing how theres only 2 or 3 in use at any given time.
:downs: Well, you need less devices.
:argh: Fine, just turn off the wifi, I will go find my router out of storage.
:downs: Using external routers is against the terms of service sir.
:argh: Then ill run really long extension cords. Bye

I hate not having an actual phone. Angrily pushing end call on a smart phone doesn't bring the satisfaction of slamming a phone on the receiver.

Secondly: WRTG54 - Its having a few issues with keeping connections.... Update firmware?

• Locked thread