Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Secondly: WRTG54 - Its having a few issues with keeping connections.... Update firmware?

Depends... what version of DD-WRT are you using now? (Hint: you should be using DD-WRT)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What version of WRT54G is it though?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
WRTG54 V 6

It was an old router I have had from way back when. I know I should buy a new one but I am cheap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, I don't think you can run DD-WRT on any of the outsourced cost-cutting WRT54Gs (v4 and above?)

They don't have enough RAM even for the micro versions. Please proceed to mail the router back to Linksys, COD, with a brick in the box.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yesssssss finally banned from mnet.

For this:

quote:

Quote:

But 98 RON is 93 R+M/2.

Tell me more about your superior German gasoline to go with your superior German adhesives found on superior German automobiles. :v

You guys don't have E85 which is basically race gas for hillbillies.

In response to some German guy going off about how Euro gas is better than American gas.

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 2, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The WRT54G is like 10 years old, buy a new router.

VVV - whatever Asus will run Tomato USB or DD WRT

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 2, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Did some digging, and found that changing the MTU to auto, it should fix the issues.

So I did that and no connection issues so far. I know that I need to just buy a new router. Maybe before my free prime is over I'll jump on buying a new router. What do all the cool kids use these days thats 50 bucks and under?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Did some digging, and found that changing the MTU to auto, it should fix the issues.

It won't fix it. All the Linksys WRT54s I've ever owned (and I've had a lot) eventually just go tits up. I had one that started behaving like yours, and after a series of tweaks, continued to be worse and worse until I was doing weekly resets and then weekly firmware writes to make it work. Eventually it just stopped turning on. Everything people/Linksys suggest online just placebo effects you into leaving the thread.

They're cynically made garbage from a company that treats actual expertise as a nose-wrinkling cost centre in order to make a price low enough to justify burping it out into a Best Buy to get Ma and Pa Retail onto the break-replace treadmill.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 2, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Im up at strange rear end hours with work, so any one is welcome to snapchat the poo poo out of me.

In other news, Mediacom had issues with their back end systems on their network. I called up and said that my end was fine, that if I can access their local pages, that my equipment is fine and its their end. So what do they do? They gently caress with my router/cable modem and then none of my devices will connect to the router any more.

Tech support :downs: Well, you have to many devices connected to the router.
Myself :argh: I am pretty sure every thing worked fine before, it was fine until you guys reset my router or what ever.
:downs: Well, sir, 3 devices is to many
:argh: I have 5 devices on the router and it never had an issues, 2 phones, 2 tablets and 1 laptop. That should hardly give an issues seeing how theres only 2 or 3 in use at any given time.
:downs: Well, you need less devices.
:argh: Fine, just turn off the wifi, I will go find my router out of storage.
:downs: Using external routers is against the terms of service sir.
:argh: Then ill run really long extension cords. Bye

I hate not having an actual phone. Angrily pushing end call on a smart phone doesn't bring the satisfaction of slamming a phone on the receiver.

Secondly: WRTG54 - Its having a few issues with keeping connections.... Update firmware?

They are loving retards, there is no "maximum devices" and it certainly isn't single digits. That idiot really ought to be driving taxis or cleaning public toilets or something.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 236 days!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It won't fix it. All the Linksys WRT54s I've ever owned (and I've had a lot) eventually just go tits up. I had one that started behaving like yours, and after a series of tweaks, continued to be worse and worse until I was doing weekly resets and then weekly firmware writes to make it work. Eventually it just stopped turning on. Everything people/Linksys suggest online just placebo effects you into leaving the thread.

This is it. Get yourself a cheapo router made this decade. Eventually you'll stop resetting the WRT, throw it out, and have at least an extra hour of productivity per week day.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Amazon was like hey bro you wanna send that poo poo coast to coast in 18 hours from order to confirmed delivery? For $3.99? Bullshit you can, I loving dare you.

I can outdo that. USPS Priority 2nd day. From New York to Methville. IN TWO ACTUAL DAYS. :stonk:

Don't forget that you get free streaming video, audio, and books. :q:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, I don't think you can run DD-WRT on any of the outsourced cost-cutting WRT54Gs (v4 and above?)

They don't have enough RAM even for the micro versions. Please proceed to mail the router back to Linksys, COD, with a brick in the box.

I got DD-WRT micro running on what I think was a v5 at one point. I never used it as anything more than a wireless client bridge but it worked alright when my network was all 802.11g.

With all that said, these days anything with "Linksys" on the box (any era - pre-Cisco, Cisco-owned, or Netgear-owned) isn't worth the poo poo it's made of. I've got a LAPN600 "business" wireless access point where the 2.4GHz radio has poo poo the bed, and even when it worked my Western Digital AC1300 (again, acting just as an access point) outperformed it. It's actually kind of a shame WD's networking biz didn't take off because I've got two of those AC1300s and they were a screaming deal for the performance. Not as much range as the current crop of $200 AC routers, but at short distances the performance is the same and I got them for about $80 each.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So I did that and no connection issues so far. I know that I need to just buy a new router. Maybe before my free prime is over I'll jump on buying a new router. What do all the cool kids use these days thats 50 bucks and under?

Do you need an actual router or just a WiFi AP? If you just need a AP, these are pretty loving awesome for the price. Much better coverage than your standard consumer grade AP and you can link a few of them together if you need more range.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Negromancer posted:

Do you need an actual router or just a WiFi AP? If you just need a AP, these are pretty loving awesome for the price. Much better coverage than your standard consumer grade AP and you can link a few of them together if you need more range.

You know that might not be a bad unit.

I can use my janky rear end server to do all the routing functions seeing how its always on, then just buy a cheap switch to do anything else.

kastein posted:

They are loving retards, there is no "maximum devices" and it certainly isn't single digits. That idiot really ought to be driving taxis or cleaning public toilets or something.

I don't really put blame on the tech, these guys mostly have scripts. But when I say, I can access the mediacom web page, because thats part of the INTRA-net and the INTER-net it means my poo poo works fine. He should have known to just check and see if there was an outage. I ended up calling them later last evening and found out they were having a DNS issue on their end.

Mediacom called today and asked if we would like a new cable modem/router. I said just mail it to me, and I will set it up. Problem is they took away all the administrator functions unless you have their passwords and poo poo. I may just end up springing for a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and say gently caress it and own my own poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You know that might not be a bad unit.

I sing their praises any time I can in the Networking thread in SH/SC - I've got a bridge set up using some Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5s and even though both endpoints are in far from ideal locations, it's a solid 150Mbps link that I seriously have not had to touch once in the year+ since I set it up the first time.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

IOwnCalculus posted:

I sing their praises any time I can in the Networking thread in SH/SC - I've got a bridge set up using some Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5s and even though both endpoints are in far from ideal locations, it's a solid 150Mbps link that I seriously have not had to touch once in the year+ since I set it up the first time.

Yea, we used to have ~5 of those(slightly higher end model than what I linked, can't remember the model #) in one of my old offices. I could go from the part of the office I sat in on the 5th floor down to the other half of the office on the 1st floor without ever losing connectivity.

I really need to stop leasing the POS cable modem from comcast and just buy my own and pick up one of those AP's. Any recommendations for cable modems? I have never looked into buying one before.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
From what I have been reading, it seems like pretty much any thing Motorola is the best.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

CornHolio posted:

Sorry about the late-night cat snapchats guys, I can't help myself.

I'll return the favor with dog pictures once I get them back from the in-laws.

Fun story, I was doing a once-over last night on the Volvo, getting it ready to sell. Noticed the shifter felt loose, which reminded me of the horrible hack that a previous owner did. Maybe 6 months ago I was driving down the road and my shifter linkage separated. Got out, pushed the car to a side street, and waited for a tow. When the truck dropped me at home, I pushed the car up onto the ramps and got underneath. The set screw that was holding the linkage together was missing. No big deal, I'll just order another one. Wait a couple days for the part to come in, get underneath to hook it back up and go on my way. Only problem: the screw was about half the diameter of the hole. Wtf? Called up the shop I bought the car from, who confirmed that a previous owner thought it'd be a better idea to re-tap the hole with a larger bore than to just order the 50 cent or whatever set screw. The fun didn't stop there, either: rather than replace it with a larger bore set screw, the joker just stole body bolts from random places in the car. So not only is the linkage now non-standard, but I'm also missing arbitrary bolts from all over the car. Took a good while to track all the holes down and replace them.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I didn't get murdered on my tinder date last night and I actually had a good time. He reminded me of Aziz Ansari except he wasn't funny at all.

And then there was this:

I met this dude once. He and his friend came and picked me up and towed my car home when I was stuck in Wisconsin with a busted oil pump. He's been sending me all sorts of weird messages like that.

Dudes are loving weird.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That dude is like the human equivalent of one of those Craigslist ads where the car doesn't run for dick and is rusting into a farmers' field in Hee Haw County but there's some pictures of what it could look like.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

goatse guy posted:

I didn't get murdered on my tinder date last night and I actually had a good time. He reminded me of Aziz Ansari except he wasn't funny at all.

And then there was this:

I met this dude once. He and his friend came and picked me up and towed my car home when I was stuck in Wisconsin with a busted oil pump. He's been sending me all sorts of weird messages like that.

Dudes are loving weird.
Yeah, hes the weird one. Not the person responding with "have you ever done a quality line of blow off a bmw dash?"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

Yeah, hes the weird one. Not the person responding with "have you ever done a quality line of blow off a bmw dash?"

Don't knock it until you've tried it

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I finally got a prime lens (35mm 1.8) after getting back into photography like 5 years ago. Im dumb for waiting so long cause this thing is AWESOME. Cant wait to use it at my sisters wedding on Saturday.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I still have 3 carfax i can run if anyone needs a check

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

Dudes are loving weird.
If you find Micromancer's picture on Tinder, you have to take him out on a date.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Rhyno come back to us :(

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

If you find Micromancer's picture on Tinder, you have to take him out on a date.

Don't handle his Rohm though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nodoze posted:

Micromancer come back to us. :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
where else are we going to get our fill of stories about lovely and trashy assholes from indiana?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Tbh I miss sigtrap, I want to read more about his aston martin.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

where else are we going to get our fill of stories about lovely and trashy assholes from indiana?

In this thread I'm never sure if "trashy assholes" refers to people or actual assholes.

e.g. STR's currently lovely & trashy rear end in a top hat, stop eating rotten turkey :barf:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Negromancer posted:

The ubiquiti stuff all seems to be awesome for the price.

This summer we sold around 50 ubiquiti unifi AP's and replaced 4 old netgear managed wireless setups with their software managed setup and it is great. We used the low end standard ones rather than the pro models too. Over here they come in 3 packs that are £125 which is a proper bargain.

I now have one in my house too as I was having issues with my lovely netgear router having a low wifi signal. It is on the wall at the top of my landing facing inwards and I now have working wifi in my entire house up and down, my entire garden and garage plus a usuable signal in next door's house and garden...

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Nodoze posted:

What happened? I feel like I missed out on the details.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

What happened? I feel like I missed out on the details.
Rhyno's life is poo poo, he tells everyone about it, gets upset when people say "Jesus dude, your life's poo poo".

Looks like Viggen's back off his probation/holiday/meds, so "normal" service should resume around here shortly.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I thought he wanted to try to get his life together and thought he was spending way too much time here on SA.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

Tbh I miss sigtrap, I want to read more about his aston martin.

If you had an Aston, would you spend the day posting about it, or driving it?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

InitialDave posted:

Looks like Viggen's back off his probation/holiday/meds, so "normal" service should resume around here shortly.

I hosed your mum. IoC held her down. We all came.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Viggen posted:

I hosed your mum. IoC held her down. We all came.

There we go.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Guys I have a bunch of Halloween parties this month but I have no loving clue what I want to do for a costume. Serious problems here.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

If all else fails, horse masks are like $20 on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

mrhands is so passe'

• Locked thread