Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

This ain't a scene, it's a goddamn arms race.

I spent the last 2 hours well, watching videos and animations on manual milling. I want to start playing with the machine at work. I am thoroughly under the delusion it doesn't look that hard :v:
You know, my place may have an old Bridgeport Interact with a dead axis board going begging in the near future...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

What's wrong with the board? I can almost certainly fix it, unless it's REALLY far gone.

What I'm saying is send Cakefool to fetch the bridgeport, ship the board over here, I'll fix it and ship it to him. I gotta finish up a few other things and ship them off soon anyways.
No idea, no-one seems to want to fix it. Probably a cap that's shuffled its last or something.

I suspect replacement would be easier anyway, unless I'm mistaken, all three axes are interchangeable for boards. Just need to find the right one.

Really, if Cakefool wants it, I can find out if there's a possibility of a free-to-collect arrangement on the thing if it's being scrapped. Big lump of metal, though. I've got nowhere to put it, and no way to power it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

Also I accidentally got a date for this weekend all because I told some guy that I like Legos.
Assuming they're not gently caress ugly, you get some, and you get home alive afterward, I'm not sure I see the problem.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Wow, thanks for the offer. I'm in the process of selling/buying, but the new place will have a garage, if it's likely to hang around long enough I want it for sure. How big/heavy is it? 3 phase I assume?
I'm afraid it looks like someone's knocked some sense into them, and they're having it repaired after all, sorry.

For the record it's an Interact 300, maybe a 6'x6' footprint and about 2.5 tons.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

Dudes are loving weird.
If you find Micromancer's picture on Tinder, you have to take him out on a date.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

What happened? I feel like I missed out on the details.
Rhyno's life is poo poo, he tells everyone about it, gets upset when people say "Jesus dude, your life's poo poo".

Looks like Viggen's back off his probation/holiday/meds, so "normal" service should resume around here shortly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Viggen posted:

I hosed your mum.
She's always strongly believed in charity.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The one good thing about working 4 10's is that I get Fridays off now. So loving tired.
Yeah, I get half-day Fridays due to working a little longer Mon-Thur, but I tend to work Friday afternoons anyway a lot of the time, as well as weekend stuff.

Today, I finished at noon, and am not due back in until Monday. I actually have to figure out what the hell I'm doing with myself for the next couple of days.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Does anyone know of any long, detailed project video logs out there? I've just watched all of the 'My 76 Mazda Cosmo Rebuild' series which is really good even though the guy is more than a bit goony. Are there any other decent video builds like this that aren't just one overview video or a timelapse or photo slideshow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZfDYpkYgWk
You want long? Ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLWQK9jBYk

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

I grew up in a neighborhood where every other house gave out apples, popcorn balls, Chick tracts, pennies, or toothbrushes.
I can't help but feel that this ends with a child MacGuyver building some kind of weapon out of it all.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Could be worse, that happened to a friend's Playstation once.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The Playstation is only 20 years old, underage drinking is a crime :colbert:
Not my fault your laws are backward about that stuff. N64s can drink here.

Anyway, you know what I meant. Console was an unwilling participant in amateur watersports.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

Jesus Christ, why even lie about it? Dude was a child rapist, everyone should know including coworkers.
I'm assuming he left pending/during the investigation, prior to conviction, in which case I can understand people not being told.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

I asked one of the mods of the Subaru forum we're both on to delete my account so that he can't message me anymore, but I'm not sure if they'll do it. I doubt they'll believe me if I told them what he did to me. :smith:
Send him dick pics.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, last time I had one of my once-in-five-years "hey, let's forget what happens if I drink way too much" evenings, new bedding was the order of the day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

some texas redneck posted:

You should google "piercing blowout". :haw:

(been there done that)
Automotive Unsanitary: Burnouts Leave Skidmarks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Mmm, it happens.

slip proof stairs posted:

I love my backup camera because it catches short things that my mirrors don't, like dogs, cats, and kids. Also, the fisheye helps because my driveway is super narrow and flanked by privacy fence.
Yeah, I did use to think of a reversing camera as a gimmick, but it really is helpful for seeing what is setting your parking sensors off, and getting really close to stuff.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

gently caress it, just do what I do and spam everyone. Hope y'all enjoy dogs!
A lot more than people, to be perfectly frank.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

some texas redneck posted:

Well, the ICU in this place isn't pretty. But the bed is comfortable.

I want to track down whatever keeps making ding sounds in the hall and smash it, but I'm tangled up in wires and tubes. :argh:
No wanking while connected to the monitors.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not sure I'm a big enough fan of the film to go for that, but what else is in the collection?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Uh, yeah, I think I'll pass on that. No idea what made them decide to do that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I just had a guy break down outside my house. He rang my doorbell asking for a number for a taxi.

He got a diagnosis of his overheating E46, an estimated cost, and garage recommendation to go with it.

:feelsgood:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

But no taxi? You're a right bastard.

(Yes, in addition to the taxi number)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

How do you make so many dirty dishes? As a single bachelor i run my dishwasher once a week only because if I don't the dirty stuff in there goes moldy.

UK goons - camera van in a 70 on a dual carriage way. Will they start giving points out at 71 or upper 70's? (I think I was doing about 75).
I wasn't even deliberately speeding - they were waiting on a downhill bit - I had been carefully sitting at 30/70 all the rest of the way :(
I think you're likely to be ok. If you're in the Landie, they'll at least send you a congratulatory note with the ticket. If you're clean so far, good chance you'd get offered a course rather than points.

Your two-week wait starts now!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

There's nothing quite like getting serenaded to a deuce, especially by the guy from that one band.
"It checked out, but never left. I should eat more fibre."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Some of you may like the latest XKCD What If? page:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/116/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's probably the best approach. The people involved in this sort of thing are usually of the "agree with me 100% or you're worse than Hitler" persuasion anyway, so gently caress 'em.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

I have a drip coffee machine. I'm a monster.
I can't stand the taste of coffee at all. Never drink the stuff, ever. You're all monsters.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So what do you drink when you sit around with other car people on the weekends to talk about cars?
Soft drinks or water if I'm driving, beer if I'm not.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

What about tea? :britain:
Tea is for when I need to engage my brain to wield on something, but also be calm about it.

CharlesM posted:

It's been a while since I've been to Japan sadly but it seems like they have lots of these iced coffee drinks for sale, complete with picture of Tommy Lee Jones on the ads.
Yeah, Boss.

Last time I was there I bought about a dozen cans of iced coffee in order to get the free Initial D toys, then gave the cans themselves to a slightly confused (and later probably slightly hyper) girl on the hotel front desk.

It's the warm fruit teas from the vending machines that I go for.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phone posted:

What's a good paint job/racing livery for a Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC?

goatse guy posted:

I'm letting my friends choose my Tinder dates for me today. Their criteria consists of asking them who their favorite Batman was.

:j: But I don't own a Volkswagen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

Batman: The Animated Series best batman.
That's fact, not opinion.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

Christian Bale. :swoon:

ssjonizuka posted:

gently caress that.
I get the impression that's not a problem

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Midniter posted:

Trying to decide how I should dress for the Renaissance Festival this year, suggestions??
Read Oglaf for inspiration.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

T1g4h posted:

Government agencies are loving awful and bureaucratic bullshit is the absolute worst.
You should try French government agencies. Which are involved with aerospace. Jesus loving Christ.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Not only that, he drags my liking VW into my 'blind ignorance'
Well, to be fair, VWs aren't fantastic, even without the chronic unreliability that seems to plague the US market stuff. I don't really understand what people see in them.

CommieGIR posted:

We can discuss computer stuff without the smug rear end in a top hat elitist bullshit.
Please don't. That's half the :munch: fun.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, and gently caress Bitcoins. It has nothing to do with open source, and everything to do with free market libtards.
I like the idea of Bitcoins, but I find what they actually are to be quite stupid, especially the whole "mining" side of things.

Though if I were in charge of IT somewhere and could get away with generating "free" money for no effort/cost, gently caress it, if someone wants to give me actual, physical things exchange, I won't be in a rush to tell them they're stupid.

CornHolio posted:

(haven't watched Serenity yet though)
:ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There was a girl who did an awesome Serenity music video to the Foo Fighter's DOA, but it seems to have been taken off YouTube.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fucknag posted:

Just rust, or is there a groove in the drum?
I think he meant the alloys have corroded themselves in place, not that he can't get the drums off.

That comes next.

CommieGIR posted:

I do. I'm not making you like them. What buisness of yours is it what I like and what I don't like.
If that's how you react to what I said, no wonder people like to push your buttons.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 25, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Its nothing against you, and you are not pushing my buttons.
It's cool, I'd prefer it if we're still friends because my mate's A3 is loving broken again, for about the fourth time this year, and I may need VAG-specific advice if he can't fix it himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

Anime especially altho I'm pretty sure that fanbase isnt nerds, it's seriously creepy mofos.
The ones who act how you're thinking, and who watch what you think anime is, yeah, they're often kind of weird.

Generally, if people think of it as a genre rather than a medium, you're going to see some poo poo.

They are, to people like me, what ricers are to people like me.

• Locked thread