Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This ain't a scene, it's a goddamn arms race.

I spent the last 2 hours well, watching videos and animations on manual milling. I want to start playing with the machine at work. I am thoroughly under the delusion it doesn't look that hard :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

No idea, no-one seems to want to fix it. Probably a cap that's shuffled its last or something.

I suspect replacement would be easier anyway, unless I'm mistaken, all three axes are interchangeable for boards. Just need to find the right one.

Really, if Cakefool wants it, I can find out if there's a possibility of a free-to-collect arrangement on the thing if it's being scrapped. Big lump of metal, though. I've got nowhere to put it, and no way to power it.

Wow, thanks for the offer. I'm in the process of selling/buying, but the new place will have a garage, if it's likely to hang around long enough I want it for sure. How big/heavy is it? 3 phase I assume?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I'm afraid it looks like someone's knocked some sense into them, and they're having it repaired after all, sorry.

Aww...

quote:

For the record it's an Interact 300, maybe a 6'x6' footprint and about 2.5 tons.

Ahhahaaahahaaaaha. Heh, there was no chance I'd have been able to take that honestly, that's half a single garage if the pad didn't go all Kasteins basement on me and drop it on the morlocks.

And thanks for the offer Kastein.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's useful to know if you ever need to change a flat out in the middle of nowhere.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dementia on both sides of the family, heart disease on my wife's, deadly lumps on mine. We're both hoping they get us before the dementia.

Oh, also progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) on my wife's side. Once she hits her fifties I'm keeping exit pills on hand, no joke.

E: CHEERFUL THREAD

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Someone went to view the house, didn't want it because all the rooms were too small. It's a 13 foot wide 2 bed terraced house, what were you expecting?

Also is nearly 6am, I'm getting ready for work and the loudest thing in the house are the farts coming from the kids room :3:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trying to sell a house so I can move somewhere less depressing, had the viewer make a point of telling me they were "disappointed by the size of the rooms"

There were pictures on the advert and dimensions in metric and imperial, it's not like I put up 18" thick wallpaper to cheat them out of the space they so rightly deserve.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Whoa whoa whoa, seems nobody here's got the balls to ask the really important questions.

How hot is your sister?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I just had a guy break down outside my house. He rang my doorbell asking for a number for a taxi.

He got a diagnosis of his overheating E46, an estimated cost, and garage recommendation to go with it.

:feelsgood:

It wasn't me.

Had someone else view the house, they like it but want me to take it off the market until they're in a position to make an offer, could be a week, could be 12 months. They won't say what that offer is. This is worse than eBay.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Someone give me the loving confidence to drive my toy to work tomorrow instead of my Corolla.

It'll be fine, I said so.

STR, that menu is one of the things wrong with the NHS over here, the food they offered my wife after birth I would have expected from a prison canteen, it wasn't fit for people trying to improve their health.

Glad you're better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was given the box set for my birthday and I couldn't tell you which was which, other than Tokyo drift.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I helped pioneer giant phones with my stupid dorky Dell streak. That was 5" and it was to big. My Nexus 4 is about the limit, but all the small versions of flagship phones are poo poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

Whoever bought that avatar is a loving genius.

e: just checked again. 293. Maybe we'll hit 300!

THIS IS NOT A loving CHALLENGE!

Don't explode STR.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My kid saw me reading deadpool comics on pintrest so I explained a little about him, my wife overheard and wants to see the film when it comes out.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I will when this episode of Galactica is finished.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Soft drinks or water if I'm driving, beer if I'm not.

What about tea? :britain:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Maybe I'm old and out of touch but if I found my date posting on SA I'd consider it a failure.

But you post on SA, so?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CornHolio posted:

And I got to thinking, each car will have to know what's in it, either with sensors or with you typing in what and who is on board.

Why? Other than some method of allowing authorised operators to start the machine (keys) why does it need to know who's inside?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alighieri posted:

My best guess is at a minimum it might need something setup for weight sensing and position in the car, as for who the occupants are, I have no idea why that would be needed.

I misunderstood. How many people and what weight, important, who, not important.

Alighieri posted:

Why would it even need to know weight sensing and position for general driving down the road. Sure it will effect braking/acceleration as well as possible cornering speed but it isn't like the drat thing is going around a race track or pushing the tires in any way. Sure you could argue in bad conditions (snow/ice/flood) it may be useful. The car is going to have pretty similar handling capabilities for commuting duty whether there is a 125lb woman or 500lb worth of people in there.

Active safety devices, airbags inflate different amounts based on size of seat occupant. I'm sure future technologies will need to know what size and shape you are when they dispense the demolition man crash foam.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I meant a general quantity field type of thing - unless we don't give the cars that information, so it at all times tries to save itself, even if it means plowing into other cars full of an unknown quantity of life forms.

If my car doesn't do everything possible to save me, regardless of the occupants of other vehicles, it has failed. I'd hate to think it'll decide my head should be a crumple zone to save someone else's kids.

How angry would the miata thread get if you wandered in looking for a kit to replace your pop up headlights with built in ones?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

12.6mpg? What are you driving?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Were you towing the ferd uphill with the handbrake on?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't built a pc for 15 years, nothing I do taxes a cheap lovely laptop so that's one whole area of expense/time sink/mind space I don't have to bother with, feels good.

It feel good to be able to cut something out of your life and simplify it, even simple things like not keeping up with certain threads can free up time and that's another bunch of poo poo you don't have to think about.

I just wish someone would buy my house so I can move somewhere with separate rooms for the kids, and a garage.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Powershift posted:

The princess auto store here is moving, and they have a plastic 12 volt jack. It's like a bottle jack inside a plastic housing with an electric motor that pumps it up.

I got them to set it up on the electrical bench to ttry it out and it was absolutely hilarious. It's like "schweeeeeeEEEEEEEEE *cachunk* schweeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEE *cachunk*"

Even if it could get a car off the ground, it would take half an hour to do it.

I've seen the scissor version of this, I thought it might be up to the task of altering height/angle of a draughting table at best, then I remembered I could get scissor jacks for like £2 each at the junkyard, so....

Son is off to the inlaws for a few days, house is infinitely quieter and cleaner/neater, I got to play with my daughter for like three hours straight, my anger issues are wiped away for now. I need to work on this.

I might take Tuesday off, get an entire day out of the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Said gently caress it and booked tomorrow off to spend some time with my kid, dropped the car off to have the clicking noise checked out. Turns out it's a job I can do myself for £100 or pay someone else £200.

What I'm saying is it seems I'm willing to pay the extra £100 to spend tomorrow with my kid rather than under the car.

I won't regret this decision.

• Locked thread