Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Shampoo posted:

It's tough, I don't hate my job now, I hate the commute. It's nearly two hours on various mass transit systems (each way) and it's in the Boston Metro area so it's expensive. Moving to this job would mean we move out to the Albany area where things are cheaper (though no half price) and we'd be able to live closer to work, but then my wife would have to get work too to make up the difference. She's a BA, so it's not like there's a shortage of jobs for her, but it's still something to think about.

I want to be able to spend more time with my daughter than I can now since I'm on the train for a sixth of the day, but the point is moot if I can't make enough for us to enjoy our lives with her. Scraping by with an infant is not what I want to do, but there aren't jobs like I want in the Albany area that pay even close to what I get now in Boston. I've been looking for about 10 months now, so it's not that long, but it's pretty discouraging. If it wasn't for the pay, this job I'm in line for would be perfect right down to the industry.

I know its like a day old but go and check out this thread in BFC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603093

Some guys have gotten hefty movement bonuses or relocation packages from simply negotiating over there new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Did he save it before it connected with the other cars?

Thoughts on USA so far compared to NZ;

To much water on the toilets. Not enough in shower

Downtown San Diego has heaps of homeless people. I assume this is same for most of the south west.

The coffee is terrible. I literally put up with caffeine withdrawal headaches for 3 days to not drink this poo poo.

No body seems to indicate anywhere so far.

Portions are mental and so are the prices.

gently caress the same coloured money. EFTPOS is heaps easier. My swipe/chip/touch-and-go credit card confuses people.

People keep assuming I speak spanish.

Concrete roads feel so broken to drive on

Lets see if the trends continue into Arizona

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

To quote a British friend of mine: "Its like taking a poo poo on a loving lake"

Yes this is it completely. I mean sure it hides the smell some but poo poo its nasty when you flush and all this brown liquid gushes about the place.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

SoCal has way more homeless than AZ - the climate here is damned harsh in the summer.

I also figured it was because the didn't freeze come winter.

cursedshitbox posted:

American coffee is also vile. I recommend picking up some cuban grind espresso sometime and main lining that poo poo till you see colors. Its the closest I get to Turkish coffee without going over.

We found an NZ guy operating the coffee machine at a hipsterish joint and he knew what we wanted. Triple shot Latte here = Flat white (Normal coffee) in NZ.

We also bought some with us cause we knew it was poo poo But I was not prepared for how completely terrible the coffee is. Our generic instant coffee tastes better than the 'artisan brewed' stuff here.

Edit. Although I did find a cool old Pinzgauer in Coronado this afternoon

Anphear fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 23, 2014

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
The Ariel Tram at Palm Springs is pretty neat. Its a completely different space in the massive basin at the top of the hill.

Edit: Its Mount San Jacinto State Park.

Anphear fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 24, 2014

• Locked thread