Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Mother of God... can't loving sleep tonight. Been laying here for three hours, tossing and turning, can't make my dumb brain shut the gently caress up. It's too busy thinking about my hosed up marriage and doing mental gymnastics to justify putting myself through personal hell trying to put something back together that she'll probably just poo poo all over the next time she gets a bee in her bonnet about something silly.

My brain is being a total dick tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
My best costume was Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker. I stayed in character the entire night and it got better the more I drank...or at least I think it got better. I even memorized the sketch where he speaks to a Mexican family and learned some additional Spanish vocab words so I could just switch into speaking Spanish, but as Matt Foley.

I wanted to build a breakaway table to go with the costume and the act, but I didn't have the time.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

goatse guy posted:

I can't grow any facial hair either but that's not going to stop me from being The Dude this year.

I'm officiating a friend's wedding later this month and the online group I went through to get "ordained" so I can legally marry them is the Church of the Latter Day Dude. They call themselves "dudeists" and I am officially a "dudeist priest". It's a real thing (sorta...) and totally legal for the purposes of officiating a wedding. I looked at several other "groups" like the Universal Life Church, but they seem to actually take themselves a little bit seriously, so dudeists it is.

Tragically, I have been told that I can't do the wedding dressed as the Dude. I almost quit then and there, but she's one of my oldest friends so I just have to console myself by drinking all of their booze anyway.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
You aren't supposed to mess with the gap on twin/quad electrode plugs.

My old Protege ran like poo poo on anything but the cheapest NGK or Denso plugs. My 4Runner uses a wasted spark ignition system and says to only use twin electrode plugs and the only ones that work right are the OEM NGKs or Densos.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Coldest morning so far here in Atlanta, at 46 degrees, and my daughter's baseball game started at 9 AM. All of the kids, ages 5-6, are cold and super whiny.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, I'm in a better place now. Datacenter operations tech doing breakfix and running miles of cabling for mad ducats. I spent a decade in kitchens, and that was enough to wreck me financially and physically.

Also, holy poo poo Rockauto. They managed to beat Amazon Prime for shipping speed. :catstare:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that kind of career shift? Did you go back to school at some point, or did you have some sort of experience prior to working in kitchens that made you qualified for your job?

I'm trying to figure out a new career direction and while I have a degree, it isn't exactly in a really broad field (earth and atmospheric science). Environmental has kicked me in the beanbag one time too many and I'm so loving done. I know enough about computers and such that I could do basic IT-type stuff, but I have no way to prove it to a potential employer.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
While my wife and I have been separated, I have had lots of time on my hands. To distract myself and keep from spiraling further into the depths of depression and self-loathing, I have been playing back through some old PS2 games from way back. Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy X and I forgot how much I enjoyed playing it the first time around.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

rscott posted:

I know of like 3 bands from australia, AC/DC, silverchair and Midnight Oil

i think that puts me ahead of like 99% of americans

Dude, Men at Work.

Also, Iggy Azalea, but gently caress you Australia for exporting that poo poo. Expect a big box of Ebola as a thank you.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I just spent 3 hours reading about this whole GamerGate farce, trying to understand the motivations behind it and what exactly their goal is, and all I learned was that there are a shitload of emotionally-stunted man-children who all need to be given wedgies.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Tommychu posted:

Yeah, that was basically my take on the whole fuckshow. Except I only put about 5-10 minutes into reading about it before coming to that conclusion.

Every article I read, I said to myself "there's gotta be more to it than this, right? maybe this next article will have the answer." Rinse, repeat for 3 hours. I couldn't make myself believe there were people that myopic, with their heads shoved so far up their own rear end they can see the back of their teeth.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

meatpimp posted:

So does misandry and misanthropy. And the sun, and the moon, and the weather. None of those things are going to be changed by neckbeards riding in on proud white digital stallions.

Like I said, the only solution is to administer wedgies all around. Maybe stuff a few of 'em into lockers for good measure.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea Ive never tried it by itself or in any other drink so that must be why.

At the last wedding we went to, my wife had a bit too much to drink and decided to switch to water, hoping to ward off the hangover. She reached for what she thought was a glass of water and took a big gulp. Turns out it was a lukewarm gin and tonic, which is disgusting by itself and doubly so when you're expecting cold water. She did a picture-perfect spit take, fortunately not directly at anyone.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

goatse guy posted:

nm, the bartender put ice in my manhattan. :sigh:

My date is lame but the bar is playing Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat and the Descendents so I think I'll be okay.

Wasn't ever really into DK or Minor Threat, but I fuckin' love the Descendents. I still listen to Milo Goes to College at least once a week.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Everything Sux is my album of choice.

I've drank enough to try karaoke. This guy isn't awful, he just doesn't like cars. :sigh:

Are you on a date with my brother?

Kidding aside, he's the least mechanically adept engineer I've ever met. Granted, he's a chemical engineer, but I should not have to help put Ikea poo poo together.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Viggen posted:

You are far too late to get a good name on DaGoog, now. I still remember my prodigy logins. :corsair:

I still remember my Prodigy login from way back in 1992, when we first got online. Dad dropped like $3000 on a 486DX with a whopping 1mb of ram and a 120mb hard drive, borrowed a 2400 baud external modem from work, and had us online 22 years ago. The only thing I remember doing online at that point was playing Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego. I had (and still have) the original Broderbund game, but I liked the additional difficulty the online version provided.

My parents ISP history goes something like:

Prodigy -> Compuserve -> AOL -> Mindspring/Earthlink (first DSL connection)-> BellSouth/AT&T U-verse, which is what they have now.

Gotta go meet tonight with my friend whose wedding I'm officiating this weekend. We've been friends for about 20 years now and I'm super excited to do the honors, so to speak.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Where the hell are you getting glasses for $25?
Even on goggles4U, my prescription is around $100, because high-index lenses. All kinds of surcharges when you get lenses at 7.5 and 10.5 sphere. You can also guess that leaving my glasses in the car is not an option...

I got mine on Zenni Optical. $35 shipped and they're at least as good as anything I've ever gotten from the local optometrist or chain store. They can manage anything from +12.00 to -20.00 sphere and +6.00 to -6.00 cylinder for astigmatism. As long as you don't have a scary-bad astigmatism (like my wife, with her -10.00 cylinder), you can't really beat them for price.

bend posted:

Bloody hell, can't wait to see what fucks up next in my life. Last year has consisted of fuckall work, severely depressed eleven year old daughter, custody battle over said daughter, the dog getting shot and now the real estate kicking us out at the same time as my partner has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Thats just the big poo poo, Today we're of to the doctors too do a carers payment application So hopefully I can stop looking or work at least for a little while, I'd be hosed if I actually got a drat job at the moment.
Ah well at least the chronic testicle pain seems to be mostly solved, I just have to deal with it until everything heals properly.

sup horrible year bro :smith::respek::smith:

2014 can die in a loving fire.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Devyl posted:

This breaking up thing has become a lot harder to deal with than I was expecting.

:smith:

Sorry to hear about that, dude. I'm coming to terms with the inevitable end of my marriage of 7 years and what it will mean for me, her, and our two kids. I'm hopeful we can manage to work together and get along well enough to not gently caress up the kids.

Goddamn, that was tough to write. I guess I still don't want to accept that it's over, even though I can't imaging living with, much less being intimate with, someone that has treated me the way she has. Well, I suppose this is what therapy is for, eh? :smith:

On a more positive note, I have a phone interview for a job I really want (and that I'm super qualified for) in an hour. Wish me luck!

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Well, the phone interview went as well as it possibly could. I have a ton of experience doing every part of the job and I was able to clearly articulate just how well I knew the subject matter. I was asked about salary and I told them "I was making <number> before, and I'd like at least that much", to which she replied "Well...that's a bit under the range for this position, which is <number*1.5>." :toot:

Gonna be sweating bullets until the hiring manager gets back from vacation on the 3rd, because I really want this job.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I use a Dell Latitude 820 from like 2006 or so running Ubuntu with 1GB ram and a 40GB hard drive. It's got a 2GHz Core 2 Duo processor, which seems to be enough for my typical use. I got it for the low price of $free, so I can't complain. It works fine for dicking around on SA and watching dumb poo poo on YouTube, which is like 90% of my home use, so I can't be bothered to get anything better. The one thing I have considered is upgrading to 4GB ram, but that would cost infinitely more than the computer itself, so I have a hard time justifying it.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Oh my loving god, now my "wife" feels threatened by the friend whose wedding I'm officiating in two days. She could have expressed this jealous/possessive/suspicious bullshit any time in the last 4 months since my friend, who happens to be female, asked me to officiate. I tried explaining that we've known each other for 20 years and see each other basically as siblings and there is no way we'd ever gently caress, not to mention the fact that it's her loving WEDDING, but none of that matters apparently. If she'd asked me over for a barbecue or to watch a movie, I could see being suspicious about her motive, but I think officiating her wedding is about the most chaste thing she could ask. She seems to think that just because I have a dick and balls, I'd gently caress anything that moves, forgetting the fact that she's the only person I've ever been with.

This is all from the person who has been yelling about a divorce for months and how she can't wait to be rid of me. I'm really struggling to find a reason to care about her issue with my friend.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Come on, you're obviously going to marry her to another man so that you can steal her from him.

drat! You've stumbled on to phase 1 of my insanely stupid plan to marry my friend by marrying her to another dude!

Seriously, we kissed in high school and it felt so weird that we swore it would never happen again.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

jamal posted:

The obvious answer is to officiate the poo poo out of that wedding and do your best to hook up with a bridesmaid.

I fully intend to officiate the poo poo out of the wedding, and were I not trying my best to keep things as civil as possible to foster a good co-parent working relationship with my future ex-wife, I would absolutely hook up with a bridesmaid. If I get really sauced, I might still do it out of spite. Who knows?!

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
The happiest law school grads I know aren't lawyers.

Some friends were getting together prior to that wedding tomorrow, and instead of just going and drinking at a goddamn bar, they had to go to a goddamn strip club, which was a bit puzzling since it's a group of 6 girls and one other guy. I haven't seen most of them in 10+ years, so I went along and I suddenly remembered how much I don't like strip clubs. I'm broke as gently caress right now, so I feel guilty as hell for not being able to tip. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm actually going through a divorce, so I'm generally glum and the one thing that should make me feel better, boobs in my face, is the last thing in the world that I want right now.

gently caress me, why can't things just be loving cool again? Goddamn :smith:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
My friend told me that the getaway car for the wedding would be her late grandfather's 66 Mustang. She did not inform me that it was a legit Shelby GT350H. :stare:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Tommychu posted:

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress 2014

ftfy

goddamn, this is the truth. 2014 can piss up a rope.

I did have a good weekend though, so that's nice. Officiated the poo poo out of that wedding, had fun at the reception and at the bar afterward, and reconnected with a friend over the last couple of days. I didn't know how much I actually missed her until we spent most of Sunday and Monday keeping each other company. She helped me sort some stuff out in my head and I feel a ton better about myself, so I'm really thankful we had the chance to reconnect like we did. I'm still too much of a basket case for anything physical, but it was nice to have positive interactions with a girl after so much negative in my failed marriage. Also, she's really cute :3: but she lives on the opposite coast. Still, it was a great weekend.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Depending on how the phone was waterlogged I've been able to save them to varying degrees (water skiing yes, full immersion no). The rice trick has never ever worked for me, though.

I think that's one of those 'one old weird tricks' that persist in the cultural memory despite being at best placebo effect.

I dropped my Droid X in the toilet (clean, no pee/poo) and it took 3 days of drying, but it came back and worked fine for another two years.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Well, it's all done except for the lawyerin'. She asked that I collect the remainder of my things that are at the house and to start planning on how to divide joint poo poo. All this because I said that the disrespectful, condescending way she speaks to me is not OK and I asked to be spoken to like a goddamn adult. She couldn't handle me bowing up and showing a little backbone for once and hung up on me. She sent me a text requesting that I collect the remainder of my things. I told her I would see what I could do.

Not going to lie, it hurts really bad, but it's what needs to happen. It's become painfully obvious that we were not meant to share a happy marriage, and I'm done. So loving done. I thought I would be a sobbing mess when she asked me to get the rest of my poo poo out, but I haven't shed a single tear tonight. I think that's a pretty good indicator of how I really feel about the marriage.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

goatse guy posted:

I've also met a couple of super awesome dudes on tinder but those stories aren't interesting enough to post here.

Yeah, you never hear of movies where the plot is "Man goes to work, comes home, takes a poo poo, goes to sleep, Fin." Disasters and calamity are way more fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
You guys piqued my curiosity and I went and read the YOSPOS:SS thread just to see the gifts.

I lost it when I got to the Dreamcast full of mealworms. I mean, that's the best-worst gift in all of recorded history.

• Locked thread