Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

where else are we going to get our fill of stories about lovely and trashy assholes from indiana?

In this thread I'm never sure if "trashy assholes" refers to people or actual assholes.

e.g. STR's currently lovely & trashy rear end in a top hat, stop eating rotten turkey :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

So a "anonymous" knockoff of a worthless shitheap of unreadable dribble then?

The word is "drivel", christ.

Edit:

quote:

oriface

not helping yourself here

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 7, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CharlesM posted:

Twin Peaks returns in 2016, this time to Showtime. I hope they film it here in Washington.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slip proof stairs posted:

My SO really really wants a Mini Cooper to replace her ragged-as-hell MB C240. Are there any major issues with mid-late 2000's hardtop base Coopers that I should know about? The biggest anecdotes I see around the internet are power steering pump failure and timing chain issues.

Major issue: the interiors look like utter dogshit, seriously I have never seen such lovely-looking plastic. Even my old Hyundai, from back when Hyundai was the cheap one, looked better inside.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hey all you Texas rednecks, are any of you in San Antonio? Is it a total shithole or pretty decent?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It's about a 45 min drive from Austin. Not much to do there but shop and watch bad sports teams. Doesn't seem too lovely when I visit, but I never stay for long. Why do you ask?

:siren: MY WIFE :siren: found a pretty good job posting there and sent in an application. I'm wondering what life might be like if we moved there.

Edit: 45 minutes from Austin is cool, Austin is the only place in Texas I've visited. I liked it, although some Austinites seem to have the same really-annoyingly-into-their-city attitude you get in Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 8, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Holy poo poo yes, the parks. Those, and the thunderstorms, are the best part of living here.

Dirt cheap to camp in the state parks, and a lot of them even have cabins (ranging from "a roof and 3 walls" to "air conditioning, power, and a fridge").

That sounds nice, compared to California's perpetually-crowded and expensive parks.

I can deal with summers in the 90s/100s, that's what I get now.

It sounds like it's not the best city to go to, but I hate California enough that most anywhere would probably be an improvement.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

No poo poo. Cancer and dementia/Alzheimer's are my big fears. My maternal Grandmother has frontal-lobe dementia, and my wife's paternal grandmother is forgetting stuff. Not Alzheimer's, but her short-term is going. It hurts to watch. I've got one other remaining grandparent (paternal grandmother, and she's still going strong, thankfully), but this is my wife's last. Sucks.

My maternal grandmother is my last grandparent left alive. She has Alzheimer's... I think the death of my grandfather almost 20 years ago meant that she spent too much time doing the same thing every day, living alone in her house. At this point, she doesn't recognize her children sometimes; she's asked if her sons are her brothers, and wants to know where her mom and dad are. She spends part of her time mentally in the 1940s. If someone comes over to make her some food or help with things, she'll often go hide in the basement until they leave because she doesn't know what to do about the stranger in her house. She's a very stubborn woman and has always insisted on staying at the house, but at this point she's so bad that they're trying to get her into a facility that can take care of Alzheimer's patients. They already tried one, but in the first few days she hit a staffer and had to leave so we're hoping the other place will work out.

It's a really hard thing to see, because she basically doesn't know us any more and it's advanced to the point where her children can't really take care of her. Taking her to a nursing home type place will help her quality of life and might even lead to some improvements, but it doesn't feel good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xmonad supremacy :cool:

I prefer to set up fixed-size frames and put windows in them, rather than have every window resize when I open a new xterm, so I run stumpwm these days. Used i3 for a long time, even got pretty much my whole department using it after they saw it, but the constantly resizing windows eventually bothered me. I also really like stumpwm's default keybindings.

keykey posted:

Just gave it a shot and uhhh.. It's a thing.. There's a reason I haven't touched Linux again in close to 16 years. First is driver support. The manufacturer didn't have any Linux drivers, so I went to the chip set source and got a Linux driver there. Second, I had to extract it then run the make command in terminal, after 10 minutes of monkeying with it it finally worked. If the terminal has to be one of the first things a user touches, it's a failed OS. That is what alienates Linux from being anywhere close to being a viable option for 99.9% of the users out there. It's fine for web/mail/radius pool server environments, aka areas where computer nerds will be operating and maintaining the machine, but for home use forget it, it really offers absolutely nothing over any other OS.

It installed in about 5 minutes as opposed to 10 for windows/OS X which was nice, but then came the driver installation to be up and going. That took hunting, extracting, making, then running as opposed to click, install, done. A driver installation should just be something that happens and shouldn't feel like you've accomplished anything of value since it's something that's an essential component.

edit: I also had to disable UEFI and go back to legacy otherwise it would poo poo a brick and artifact in the last 10% of installation for some reason.

What are you running on? These days, one of the main reasons I prefer Linux is that it has drivers for every drat thing. About the only thing it has trouble with are some Macbooks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Welp, just sold the Studebaker. We talked, the guy wanted it inspected, so we did. Turns out the rust underneath was different than I thought... it's along the edges, while the center is quite clean, but the body mounts are all hosed up. The mechanic said there was so much body flex he couldn't open the door while it was up. He also said the rear end had been swapped to something Chevy, which explains why I couldn't identify it previously. The horn picked today to stop working, so there's that.

After talking about it, we settled on $4300.

I just paid for tags, and they're in the mail, so he gave me $4000, I gave him the title and the car, we'll exchange the $300 when I get the tags and can forward them on to him. This may have been stupid but eh, it doesn't make sense for him to try and dick me over $300. And if he does, gently caress it, it's $300.

Feels good to have it sold after listing it for so long, but it's also loving weird to not have the car any more.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Absolutely, I love seeing snaps from other peoples jobs. And sharing an unreasonable amount of snaps from mine. Seriously I feel like send out too much and will annoy people.

Not allowed to take pictures at work, so unfortunately you'll all have to miss out on pics of a computer... ON A DESK

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ferremit posted:

To cheer things up, theres always the fact that theres a new Pink Floyd album coming out, and a new song streaming!

http://www.guitarworld.com/new-pink-floyd-song-streaming-now-louder-words-listen

I'd have given my left nut to have seen pink floyd live in concert, Thats not gonna happen any more.

It's not terrible, but that song just doesn't seem quite right. It feels a little rushed, like it's always pushing on to the next bit, and some parts feel more like someone said "let's write a Pink Floyd style song" if that makes sense.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Feel kind of bad for talking poo poo about the mechanic yesterday.

We (the buyer and I) were having the Studebaker inspected, and when we showed up and dropped off the car we got maybe a total of 5 words from the mechanic, who seemed ridiculously stand-offish and terse. Like, we walk in, he stands there staring silently at us as he raises a car on the lift and starts doing stuff until we call out to him. Tell him we want a pre-purchase inspection, can he check out such-and-such, etc., he says "Ok. It'll be half an hour, maybe an hour." No further information seems forthcoming, he doesn't want anything from us, we leave to get a drink.

When the buyer had called the day before to set up an appointment, it had been the same thing: "I should be in by 1. Yeah, I guess I can take your name down. Bye"

At the bar, we talk poo poo to each other and to the bartender about how this guy obviously doesn't want customers, etc.

Well then we get back and suddenly he's giving us this great rundown of what's up, pointing out rust spots under the car, showing how the rear end was from a Chevy and had been modified here and here, etc. Really friendly from then on. I was rather surprised to hear him say, "If I had this car, I'd drive it to Vegas", quite honestly I didn't have that much faith in it myself.

It's just him, running the shop out of the service garage of a defunct dealership; made me think of DrPain's shop in that it's a small independent place that seems to operate largely on word of mouth--there's not even a sign out front. Despite the initial weird experience I'm thinking about taking in the Crown Vic if I can't sort the idle problem myself.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

I have a midterm for an engineering class that for some reason my uni requires cs majors to take and it will literally be the death of me. I already had to take discrete maths and advanced physics, why the bloody gently caress am I also required to take a course that has me designing digital circuits then providing how many volts the circuit can handle or whatever

Also, Karnaugh maps are the bane of my existence

Because it's good for you, you trifling CS bitch.

-- Signed, a Computer Engineering graduate, the smuggest engineering degree

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

alternate.eago posted:

Confirming this is true. Amazing. I just don't know what else to say.

Pretend I posted that bit in M*A*S*H where all the guys are lined up to get a look at the dentist in the shower, I can't find a screenshot

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So the signs on the road giving the recommended speed for a corner, do those get updated? In a modern car, they generally seem about 10 mph too cautious, but when I was driving a 50 year old car around they were always pretty much at the edge of what I felt was safe.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

That depends entirely on whether you're talking about yellow or white signs, have you read the drivers handbook?

I can generally maintain 10-20mph over their recommendation even in a shagged out beat up jeep with 250k miles on the suspension, so I think you may need more practice.

The yellow ones, the advisory ones.

Manual steering, drum brakes all around with a weak master cylinder, skinny bias-ply tires, and lashings of body roll all combined to make me drive a bit slower on curvy roads.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Butt Wizard posted:

Someone give me the loving confidence to drive my toy to work tomorrow instead of my Corolla.

Think of what kastein drives every day and have confidence. It'll be fine.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phonechat I've decided gently caress $650 for the Nexus 6, I'm probably going to go with the 64GB OnePlus One for $350. I wasted my invite because I didn't understand how the 24hour thing worked, but if I can get another, I'll have the finest Chinese phone around.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Yowch, tough miss. If anyone has a 1+1 invite, meatpimp would certainly be grateful.

If I can find another, you get invites when you buy so I'll send you one, I'll PM to get your email

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keykey posted:

A friend of mine just got his 1+1 in the mail yesterday and it really is the finest Chinese phone in 'Murica for the price.

Does he have any invites left? :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meatpimp posted:

the dishwasher is running and it's showing hot all over there, but the surprising thing was heat coming up from the disposal... which when you think of it is perfectly logical, since that's where the dishwasher drains, but it's crazy to watch it happen in real-time.

Get a house with worse plumbing and you won't just see heat coming up from the disposal, you'll get water too. Pretty unpleasant surprise I tell you what. But luckily by the time I got back from the store with the Drain-O and mega-plunger, it had drained.

(Then later I put some pickles in the garbage disposal and backed the fucker up for days, took hours to snake that poo poo out from its hiding spot 10 feet past the U-bend. Don't put pickles in the garbage disposal)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fart Pipe posted:

I just started using a french press a few years ago and it rules so much. It makes even regular old Folgers or whatever taste like that cat poo poo coffee compared to a drip.

"French press: It'll make your coffee taste like cat poo poo"

(I know what you were referring to but still, phrasing)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Are there any goons in the Bay Area who own a trailer and might be willing to haul a broken-down TR3 for a tank of gas and a beer? Purely hypothetical at this point but if I buy a car tomorrow I'll need to get it home somehow.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are there any goons in the Bay Area who own a trailer and might be willing to haul a broken-down TR3 for a tank of gas and a beer? Purely hypothetical at this point but if I buy a car tomorrow I'll need to get it home somehow.

gently caress, he sold it.

Ah well.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

Is there a Chinatown near you? If so, have you tried looking there?

If you can find a 99 Ranch, they will have a huge variety of delicious sauces direct from China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, etc.

As for the dogtag, why not break it in half by repeated bending and drop each half in a different garbage can on opposite sides of town?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 20, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone here ever try a SCOTTeVEST? I'm a huge nerd who would wear a fishing vest to carry poo poo if it were more socially acceptable, and the SCOTTeVEST seems like it would be even better given that it's designed for electronics instead of fly-boxes and pliers. Also looks like it could go under a parka for more warmth during the winter.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keykey posted:

Midterm election 2014 CA edition includes "hurting the environment" and "evil corporations." We're blue so the blue pandering machine is on full steam ahead, much like your red pandering machine.

"He's pro-union" doesn't work, so here in the east bay we're hearing "He supported the BART strikes" about Sbranti. I'm going to vote against him because the smear campaign his people ran against Glazer was pretty egregious, you should have seen the poo poo they were mailing. Glazer, for his part, seemed to run a pretty clean campaign, based on what I received.

CommieGIR posted:

How that drought going?

It's rained a little a couple times, and I think it's been raining quite a bit up in the mountains--sure poured on me the two days I spent up there recently.

IIRC there was a ~5 billion water bill passed a while back, and I think they said the Republicans pushed to get about 2 billion dedicated for new reservoirs and such, so if they're not stupid they should be playing that up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keykey posted:

edit: gently caress, I need to stop posting today, this is the second double post in 2 threads today..

It only seems to happen when you respond to my posts :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Now come help me with my two vintage radios.

If they're tube radios, you need to watch out because they had a more cavalier approach to grounding and chassis isolation in those days. There's a simple modification which should make it safer, but I'm phoneposting and can't link it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Viggen posted:

E: Found a beautiful '74 Sonett for $1500. I must have gone to heaven. :dings:

Post pictuuuuuures

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Viggen posted:

There is no loving way this picture is current - but I WANT TO BELIEVE!

That's amazing. I wish I could find something like that out here.

Related, why are all old convertibles automatic? I guess it was part of the whole luxury/extras thing back in those days. I found a decent looking convertible Corvair with a manual but it's in Nevada so I'd have to really know it was the one. How are Corvairs for engine access/maintenance? They look a lot more tightly packed than a similarly old straight 6.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alighieri posted:

Was able to grab first.last@gmail.com for myself. Lots of people seem to add that . when entering form information since apparently I am a UVA grad with a child failing school in Arkansas as well as a West Virginia school of engineering bachelors. Also my two weddings were great and the offer on my three houses were accepted, rejected, accepted.

The . should be ignored, IIRC it is supposed to be exactly the same as firstlast@gmail.com

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Viggen posted:

:spergin: I don't remember this being part of any RFC. The . is only used as a denotation of the end of mail marker if it is ^\.$, and nothing is stated about it in names, only domains (postdating UUCP bullshit)

E: I miss my metacrawler address. It worked up until like 2 years ago if you followed the SMTP servers upstream to the web interface. :smith:

Maybe I'm remembering backwards, and the . is supposed to be allowed but Google used to have some issue with it, meaning john.doe and johndoe would sometimes get each other's mail or some poo poo.

I definitely remember there being A Thing about periods in the local part of email addresses.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just ordered a 1 year subscription to Asimovs Science Fiction because why the hell not, please send me a magazine of science fiction stories every month.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Viggen posted:

So, you've made it up to 1981 now?

I always used to read anthologies of short stories drawn from the old SF magazines but never really bothered to see if they were still around, kind of assumed they had all died out... now I finally have some disposable income so gently caress it. Might get a subscription to Analog too, if I like Asimov's.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My PC has just been occasionally shutting off. It goes into the Windows did not shut down properly screen when I turn it back on, so it's not like Windows update is shutting it down. I'm trying to figure out why :homebrew:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

Power supply? I'd throw in another one just for testing, see how that goes. Especially if it's not a high-dollar name-brand one.

I replaced the drat power supply about a year ago... Come to think of it, I think it was doing something similar back then! gently caress!

This has not been a great week for me, electricity-wise.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

Some Corsairs are manufactured by Seasonic. Some others are made by some no-name OEM and blow up as soon as you're not looking.

Mine is a Corsair CX430M, I bought Corsair specifically thinking "well hopefully this one won't poo poo out after a year or two" but it did. I don't think I kept the box with the warranty information :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tommychu posted:

Hell, I bought an oldballs Lenovo T500 6 months ago for $200 and put a 120GB Samsung 840 in it, poo poo is fantastic. So good that when my mom needed a new computer I did exactly the same thing (but with a T400).

That's because Lenovo laptops are the poo poo

• Locked thread