Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh god my eyes. Do not drink and weld. You will spend the rest of the evening cursing the one time you forgot to nod the helmet down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Doccers posted:

also: Costco loving rocks for their warranty policies.

I bought a couple batteries from them three years ago, they died with a few months left on the warranty. They refunded me full price for both, and I was able to upgrade to two brand new interstate 950 amp batteries for $34bux, total.

I need to get a solar trickle charger set up in the Volvo, I don't drive it as much or as far as I should so the batteries get acid stratification and then die. :(
I at least have a battery shut-off switch now that I need to install as well.

Costco batteries = Interstate batteries. Both are made in the same factory/assembly line with the same quality of internals. At least per my neighbor who works for our local Johnson Controls battery plant.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm looking at a 2012 Sportwagon TDI tomorrow. I feel like I need to turn in my man card or something. Quick, someone find me something for under $20k that gets 30MPG and doesn't look like a loaf of wonder bread.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Re: Sportwagon
Here's the short explanation. I have a 40 mile commute each day. My Rx-7 is not a winter car by any means (and thus far it's been nasty) and I'm tired of wondering what will break next. Case in point, I overboosted last night and shoved the intercooler piping into the crank pulley, cutting a good 1/4" into a cast aluminium elbow. I've looked at CX-5's, 3's, and Fords equivalent. I seem to be stuck on a wagon due to the shear amount of space they offer. If I buy a brand new car, like a 3, I'll end up spending 7k more then a $18k TDI just to get similar packages, like heated seats/nav/bluetooth. Plus I still haven't gotten over how much in depreciation I lost on the new Mazda 3 hatch I bought in 08. Three years later and I barely sold it for what I had left in the loan. I'm open to options, but my guide lines are pretty much: new car = around $20k and 30MPG or used = $10-20k. There are some great choices if you remove the gas mileage requirement, but this is mainly my commuter/run to the beach/drop+pick son up from school car and he's not getting any smaller.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
TDI guy flaked. The search continues!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I was offered my dream job this week. It's going to mean no time for cars for a bit, but I can't turn it down. I'm not sure I will ever get a opportunity like this again. The next few weeks are going to be interesting. Also, no new car yet :(. I'm tempted to look at a 08 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback. It's a 5spd, and it's cheap. ~28MPG and up to 36MPG Freeway.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Fucknag posted:

drat you ive wanted to get a hold of some for years but the liquor store enver has anyw hen i go

pm me some will you

Want me to check our local importer? It's not cheap, but they seem to always have ~300+ varieties. I'll gladly ship you a couple.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

leica posted:

Director of Save the FD RX-7 Foundation?

I wish.

I hate to say, I'm hitting the point in my life/career where it's make or break. Plus I really want to start dedicating more time to my son :unsmith:, instead of these headaches of a car (read: owners :smithicide:).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

leica posted:

I have a six year old son so I totally get it. Stuff that used to be important starts being not so important anymore when it interferes with quality time spent with family.

So what are you gonna be doing?

The short answer: Director of Infrastructure for a soon to be fortune 500. I can't get in to it yet due to some legal issues. but let me put it this way: My IT budget is the same as my current companies annual income...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Ohgod I should not have stopped at the liquor store tonight. At least I am not alone in my drunkery. I'm two bottles of wine and a a few mixed drinks in- everything is awesome. :D

• Locked thread