Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today I drove next to a hellcat and was :gizz: the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I've been fighting off a cold for the last two weeks and yesterday I finally started feeling better

...until 2pm when I broke out into a sweat and my joints started aching. By the time I got home from work at 5pm I had a temperature of 103F. Slept from 5:30pm till 4am when I woke up from a panic attack and apparently the fever breaking and it was down to 99.9F, so I go into work today and end up having to leave two hours into the shift because it went back up to 101F and I didn't want to get anybody sick.

:gonk:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

You shouldn't have gone to work in the first place. :shrek:

If you don't go to work, you get 1 point. If you go to work but leave early, you get half a point. Once you get three points, you get a write-up.

Plus I really need the money so I was hoping I'd be able to finish the 8 hour shift, especially since the fever broke and that usually means it's over and done with. I didn't anticipate getting another fever :/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rscott posted:

When I lived in flint the day before Halloween was called devils night and the tradition was to burn down abandoned buildings and get up to other assorted mischief
Luckily, nobody lives there anymore.

I think.

Viggen posted:

too many loving archer avatars its like hard to tell which are the perpetually drunk, which are on heroin, and which actually own a car
:q:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

General_Failure posted:

So I could post to nobody 99% of the time. Sounds great. Sort of like g+

Kind of reminds me of that Nintendo 3DS streetpass bullshit. It might work well in an urban area in Japan but probably nowhere else. That sort of functionality doesn't really interest me but out of curiosity a while back I'd take my 3DS with me and keep it asleep in my pocket when I was in a population centre. I think I pinged two, maybe three people in quite a few days. I know it's only Wi-fi range but still, crowded shopping centres etc.
Unless something artificially boosts awareness and desirability to use a localized service, usage rates are probably going to be very low.

Idk, it works well if you go on campuses or actually anywhere near where young nerds gather.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

Walgreens?

no idea on that one, but I know I get a ton of notifications whenever I'm at the Apple Store.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

I still can't get over ~100k miles for a 10+ year old beast is "low miles". Try talking to an octogenarian 'merkin metal owner, and you'll find that 100k is at least 60k, if not 80k over its' "trade in date".

'92 puts it at more like 20+ year old beast, which is pretty low compared to other 22 year old cars.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

I didn't really want to detract from my analogy, but 5k/yr would have me a little more worried than a 10k/yr average.

Fair enough, rotting tubes are a bitch.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I ended up checking out Yik yak since I live across from my Uni and holy lol everyone is so loving thirsty.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Weather station chat -- anybody use them? I've got an old Oregon Scientific WMR968 setup that is slowly dying. I've got to replace all 12 AA batteries on a 15' tall pole in the next couple days, and that's going to be the last time I do that before replacing the setup... The Oregon Scientific was okay, but never really felt good. I'm looking at a Davis Instruments replacement... anything else I should consider?

I like weather.app quite a bit.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Nothing like waking up and having to projectile vomit.. didn't even have enough time to grab the garbage can.

I just bought this comforter too. :sigh:

I did this too!

Except it was from coughing so hard and having so much phlegm in my stomach.

I've never thrown up chunks of dried up phlegm mixed with bile before but it was one of the most unpleasant things that I've ever done

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Anybody know what the best way of finding lost music is? For some reason I have 20gb of music hiding somewhere on my mac.

I suspect that I somehow didn't hit move to trash after deleting a bunch of music from iTunes but that doesn't seem like something that I would do

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Use Disk Inventory X to try and find the biggest files in a nice way, but otherwise I'd try and rig something up from the command line with the find command (or even use Spotlight, if you're willing to delve into its odd syntax).

Nice, that showed me all the iOS apps that were downloaded on my computer (but stored on the iCloud anyways so why waste 16GB of storage on that). Thanks!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Tell them to get hosed, you didn't agree to fixing it beforehand. Charge them full shop rate plus inconvenience fee for presuming your time.

Though in gentler terms since I mean it is family

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The only alcohol that I like are ciders, fireball mixed with cider, and gin and tonics and a few other mixed drinks.

Beer is gross and I will never like it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have a midterm for an engineering class that for some reason my uni requires cs majors to take and it will literally be the death of me. I already had to take discrete maths and advanced physics, why the bloody gently caress am I also required to take a course that has me designing digital circuits then providing how many volts the circuit can handle or whatever

Also, Karnaugh maps are the bane of my existence

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Because it's good for you, you trifling CS bitch.

-- Signed, a Computer Engineering graduate, the smuggest engineering degree
I'm actually kind of glad I have to take this class, because I was debating between Computer Engineering and Software Engineering and this class has shown me that I chose correctly and now I will never look back and wonder if I would have wanted to be a CE instead. So there's a silver lining I guess.

The good news is that I now understand K-maps and now get to move on to top-level design circuits and figuring out how to read timing diagrams :smithicide:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno we all love you but based on all the drama in your life I'd say half of it is from your poo poo friends and the rest of it is from you blowing it out of proportion or getting involved in something that you could have not gotten involved in.

I don't want to call you a drama queen because typically you get involved with the best intentions, but bloody hell man your life is as dramatic as Gone with the Wind.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mat_Drinks posted:

October chat thread: I just want to sit at home, play video games, eat stir fry and hang out with my lady

Amen. But I'd probably throw some car poo poo in there too :)

Not unless car stuff is free cuz only things I want to spend money on right now are Chinese, Thai, or spicy tuna sushi rolls. And apple products and a few other things I guess

I'd like to spend money on cars I guess but lately I dont really care about them and money has been wicked tight. Maybe when I have a nicer car and more disposable income I'll be excited about ordering parts again :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

I know you be lyin'
You wanna slam that Ion.

Preferably into a wall or tree

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Not even exaggerating Detroit is a better place to live than Cleveland. At least people are trying to bring Detroit back, afaik everyone dreams of leaving Cleveland and letting it rot.

That being said, still better than Indiana.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

I lived in Grand Rapids MI for 4 years. It's a place with 100" of snowfall on average and ~270 days of the year are completely overcast. I heard "At least it's not Ohio" a lot.

Also the craft beer is amazing and the ability to live in the country with a shitload of property and drive into downtown to enjoy the city life within 15 minutes outweighs any amount of snow they get up there. Well, it certainly helps I guess.

IDK I really really like GR almost moreso than I like Detroit.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Yo Richmond is just like that without all the lovely weather. I really liked GR and everyone for sure made the most of it there but god drat did they pick a horrible spot.

I guess the best way to put it is for Michigan, it's pretty dope.

I think me and my wife are going to stay in Michigan due to the huge amount of SE jobs here, and the fact that all of her family is here and South Carolina and afaik SC has little to no SE jobs in Charleston.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have so many PS2 games I wanna play that I'm seriously considering either hauling my fatPS2 from the basements CRTV and running composite on my 1080p 120hz TV OR buying an original PS3 with backwards compatibility and hoping that it plays PS2 games in 720p (and it has enough thermal paste on it)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ho boy, wow oh wow that post has way more :spergin: in it than I really care to admit. Yikes.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

I've figured out a great way to handle the feeping creaturitis with phones.

Go from Smartphone back to nearly-a-smartphone. Wait a couple years. Now, buy second-to-last-generation smartphone. HOLY poo poo IT DOES EVERYTHING! :circlefap: I gotta say, after playing with the 5, I like my 4 more. Less horseshit parts held together by the frame. Just the volume and power buttons.

Or, just buy a Nexus 5, get pissed at being behind, and sell it to me for cheap.

I miss the old Al. He makes more sense with the 'fro and glasses (and without the plastic surgery).

Because they were a parody band in Australia? You've heard them before, you just wouldn't know it. TT and CT probably have memories of them.

holy poo poo I haven't heard that song in forever, though it was a little before my time :newlol:

I could never remember their name tho

As for hugephones, I had a note 2 and I loved it but I hated anroid, so I am p excited to get my space grey 64gb iPhone 6 Plus.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 16, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

Most people don't measure that as width.

Goddamn kids with their plastic manifolds.

Being quoted in entirety without the subquotes really looks, uh.. less focused than even I usually attain.

Phone postin 😎

Edit: I didn't know emojis worked on SA, though that should probably not be A Thing.

:c00l:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 16, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

💩💩💩💩💩

I like :nexus: better

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

goatse guy posted:

I love Iggy Azalea, although all of the songs that she's collaborated on with other artists have been garbage.

she is wicked cute :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

For those of you who didn't get the snap, or had your sound turned down and therefore didn't get anything useful out of it: I saw gas being sold for $2.65 today. I haven't seen it that low in, poo poo, years. A station down the road has it for $2.89, which is still incredibly cheap.

Yeah I was way too excited about this

There was some sort of deal at meijer that got you $0.20/gal off so that was amazing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

angryhampster posted:

I love gin and tonics. It's been my drink of choice for about a year now. My favorite bargain gin is New Amsterdam. To me it tastes like Tanqueray at half the price.

Same, a 1.5L bottle for $19 is a great deal and while it's not as strong as sapphire it tastes almost as good and it's cheap enough that I don't feel bad for buying it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

goatse guy posted:

:hfive:

T-Square and brokenknucklez, is it time for an upper Midwest meetup?
I'm down if I'm not in school :dance:

Oh :saddowns:

Fucknag posted:

I'll drink whatever drip coffee is present if it's offered, but I really want to get an aeropress one of these days.

Best coffee I've ever had was in Detroit last May. My sisters and I went to this place that actually roasts the beans to order, then grinds them and brews them as you wait. Not even the slightest chance for the aromatic oils and such to go rancid. That first sip was heaven.

Which one is it?! My wife's best friend works at Great Lakes Coffee and one of my friends works at Urban Bean Co. (both are really good and I don't really even like coffee).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Neither, it was the Roasting Plant (had to look it up). It's right by Lafayette/American Coney Island, which we went downtown specifically for (both of which were underwhelming imo, I prefer my hot dogs grilled), then decided to get coffee after and it was right there. I'm sure they're all great, though; fresh roasted is where it's at.

Ah yeah, I've heard good things about that place. American Coney Island is super overrated, and boiled hotdogs are gross as gently caress. Lafayette isn't that much better but at least their chili dogs make up for them being boiled :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

So I broke up with my best friend who lives in Royal Oak so I don't get up to that area much anymore but if I make an IKEA trip again we should grab lunch.

Sounds good to me :3:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

goatse guy posted:

It'll probably be this weekend, somewhere in Wisconsin. Midwest AI: Where Four Hours Away Is Still Close

Yup that's a 7 hour drive. Have fun!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I just had a memory from the way-back... when a lot of you were still in grade school, the internet was forming. In the early-to-mid '90s there was an online service called America Online, or AOL for short. A lot of people used it and it was fantastically unsecured.

There was a window of time when a program called AOHell that would automatically generate a viable AOL account, then let you mess around with people, automated phishing scripts, ascii bombs, up to and including kicking users off the system. In a time of dial-up, this was an annoyance, at least.

Much fun time was had. I don't know where that memory came from, but it was one of the most fun periods I've ever had online.

If you're feeling nostalgic, hou should join the YOSPOS bbs door game we have going (we're playing LORD and Planets right now, soon were adding a MUD)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670255

And by "we" I mean mr 219 and sniep are adding it, not me

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

how many avatars has viggen gotten in the last 24hrs?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

I mean I don't like Saabs either, but that's a little strong, yeah?

(whatever it was I missed it)

it was a pictures of this dude

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Solved my computer's periodic overheating it's been doing the last few days, apparently the heat sink screws vibrated slightly loose.

So what sort of loctite should I be using for these? Blue might work, but I might go with red since it's a heated application. :v:

I've been trying to figure out why my comp is suddenly lagging like a bitch in BF4 and now that you mention this I just realised it's probably due to be dusted.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Get GPU-Z and check your card temps. I figured out something was wrong when one sensor was 30 degrees C higher than the other two, and when I pushed the heat sink/fan down (up, actually, but w/e) onto the card the sensor reading shot up to 104 and the fan kicked to max speed. :v:

So after dusting everything and seeing that I'm only at 50C on an oc'd GPU I decided to scan for viruses since it wasn't lagging like this last week and my brother was using it for his homework and is not exactly good at computers.

:smith:

• Locked thread