Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

mariooncrack posted:

I thought he wanted to try to get his life together and thought he was spending way too much time here on SA.

You're correct, the others are wrong. Rhyno specifically said both on Facebook and AI that he felt like he was spending too much time on both places and that he felt like it was keeping him from making positive changes in his attitude and life that he was trying to make.

I miss his chatter in AI, but given how angry he always seemed about everything on FB it's hopefully been a good thing for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Negromancer posted:

The housing market in Seattle is loving insane. The prices are now higher than they were at the height of the bubble and you have to fight to actually get a house. Hell, we had to fight to get our rental house which we pay more than a mortgage would cost. Pretty much any house in NW Seattle is $400k and needs to be remodeled.

I was born and raised in this city and always just wanted to stay here, but more and more I am thinking I need gtfo. The traffic is stupid, cost of living is going insane and it's just not the same city anymore. It is a great city for my work, but pretty much any job I get I can work remotely. I think my buddy has the right idea, work for a tech startup based out of SF, but live in bellingham.

That's a pretty small part of Seattle to limit yourself too. And yeah, traffic up there is rear end, that's why the west side is the best side :) :). PS there are plenty of cute sub 300k houses around here ;)

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Is it wrong for me to not give the slightest fraction of a poo poo about owning a house? I couldn't even afford a near-condemned Groverhaus of course, but I just don't care. Of course things like marriage, a """real""" career, etc are filed under "things other people experience" as well, so gently caress it.

Of course not. It's like having kids... I always tell friends that are thinking about it, that if you don't think you want kids DON'T have kids, but if you do it's rad. Same with houses, if you want one and understand the pros & cons it can be great. Now if I can just add on in such a way to improve my view :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

October chat thread: I just want to sit at home, play video games, eat stir fry and hang out with my lady

Amen. But I'd probably throw some car poo poo in there too :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

ssjonizuka posted:

Most of the snapchat crew saw, but I'll post here anyways:

Technically unnamed, 9lb 2oz. "Little" boy was born this afternoon. Baby and momma are doing awesome. I'd forgotten they could be so little. :3: (and for reference, this is #2).

Also, Mrs. SSJOnizuka is loving amazing - no way I could hold a candle to what she has accomplished today.

Congrats dude! Enjoy the new baby smell, it's almost as good as freshly baked cookies, but it lasts much longer! :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Jukebox Chat: 13" and I went out for beers a while back and they had Sleep - Dopesmoker on the jukebox. I queued it up and while they cut it short at ~7 minutes (as opposed to 30) it was still pretty drat Epic.

House Chat: I just started the process of refinancing my house this afternoon and found out that I should be able to get a low enough interest rate that I'll cut my payment quite a bit (and thus give room for saving more money and/or paying more into equity). The best news? The interest rate is so much lower and getting rid of mortgage insurance helps so much that if I want I can pull a bit on the equity to build a three car garage with a lift :getin:. And still save more and pay less interest than my current loan! :dance:

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 18, 2014

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Oh God, let's please not talk about that. M'lady.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

i3 Chat: I saw a guy with one at the last c&c of the season in Seattle and he was really psyched to have any opportunity to tell anyone present how great of a car it is. All I could think of was the Aztek and the Element when I looked at it.

LA Traffic Chat: I think that LA drivers are so used to (and fed up with) traffic that anytime they get the chance to move with speed, they move with speed. It's pretty awesome, but I don't know that it makes up for how much driving is necessary down there and just how bad traffic can get. They're generally better drivers than Seattle drivers imo.

Rhyno sold his GFs bug chat: Right on! Now relax back into the reality of not having to mess with horrible examples of VAG engineering 'quality'. :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

I'd bet that they're not better drivers compared to seattle if you were to look at insurance rates. LA traffic jams was everyone treating every single moment as a literal drag race followed by hammering on your brakes as hard as possible, repeat ad nauseam.

My evidence is completely anecdotal in that it's my own experience, but the dozen odd times I've driven in LA over the past decade I've noticed a distinct difference in the ability to merge, distracted driving, passive-aggressive driving, and driving slow in the fast lane. LA driving is definitely more aggressive, but all of those issues feel less evident there and in the absence of traffic driving feels more efficient to me because of it. I'm not saying I'm trying to live there or anything or that they don't have their own problems, just that most of my pet peeves about Seattle driving are reduced there and I enjoy the occasions when I get experience it.

Seriously though, unless I had the serious kind of money that buys you a house in the hills or on the coast I'd never even consider living in LA and even then I'd have to think hard about it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

The past few pages have been entirely too much discussion about Viggen's Av and not enough about buying that Sonnet. Those cars are easily the best looking Saab ever made and in my opinion and just plain drat good looking!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Those are the movements of a man that's had that happen to him before, but it didn't turn out well. :D

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Tusen Takk posted:

buttcoins and open sores

Hehehehe

CommieGIR posted:

my liking VW into my 'blind ignorance'

I still like VW

Not to defend Commie, and it's totally ok that you like VAG, but you need to understand that many of us have suffered at the hands of their products and have a 'never again' attitude regarding them, PTVWOD (Post Traumatic VW Ownership Disorder) if you will.

Also, a portion of VW enthusiasts are responsible for what is arguably the worst car forum on the Internet.

Viggen posted:

Get busy (and otherwise) and stop posting for a few days and the shitposting continues. Imagine that. :allears:

Yes, but the overall volume is much higher when you're here and actively not talking about worthwhile stuff like that Sonnet that is a steal. :colbert: Also something about rock throwing and glasses houses seems appropriate?

Adiabatic posted:

It had some decently witty dialogue and the idea of a space western was novel. It's been hosed into fanboyism but I like it anyways.

Agreed. It's fun. But I also thought the Green Lantern movie was fun (albeit it with horribly low expectations) :shrug:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I put down an offer on a house:

Right on, and with a garage too! Congrats! I hope you're getting to capitalize on those 3.9-4% interest rates so you pay less money to the man :)

Good lookin' house too.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

goatse guy posted:

My date for tonight showed up in a 1989 560SEL with 29k miles on it.

I saw this the other day and I was thinking to myself that if you accept push notifications on Tinder that this would be a good sound to go with it ;-* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qIMTA4_YdU

edit: I felt kind of bad after posting this and wanted to come back and say that I hope your date goes well :)

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 26, 2014

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Viggen posted:

I am self aware, thank you very much. Also, despite trying to find payment in full- the seller has had a TON of local interest. He said I can have it when everyone else falls through. For $1500, I'm pretty sure someone will actually not flake on it. :cry:

This is where you need use some of that Viggen charisma. Tell him "I appreciate you wanting to sell it locally, but you need to understand, I love Saab. I bleeeed Saab. Please sell it to me. Or I will cut myself and bleed Saab everywhere. DO YOU UNDERSTAND I WILL PHYSICALLY HARM MYSELF IF YOU DO NOT SELL ME THAT CAR.". Or something like that.

I generally give a rip about Saab (no offense, it's just not a marque that has ever captured my attention in earnest), but I'd own the poo poo out of a Sonnet, especially at that price. Though, I bet with the rarity of them that parts are a total PITA to find and/or expensive. But imagine going to a cars and coffee and pulling up next to all of those common Dino's, Austin's, etc with a Sonnet :smuggo: :allears:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

Slow is Fast and Terrible Robot showed up to my house while I was taking a poo poo. I had to pinch.

WTF Adiabatic just got probated for a post in July? I guess that's what you get for posting in GBS :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

blk posted:

Not sure if this has been ABP but christ, so funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3eN9u5N2Q4&t=78s

That's great lol.

Congrats on the promotion TT!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

I hope I can meet the postcount :( I usually just lurk, since I was usually underway too much to even read SA a lot. But I guess now that I'm on shore duty I can start posting like normal people.

You've been around plenty long and people know you. The entry rules are just to keep people that are making the transition from GBS, FYAD, etc to AI from joining in and crapping out on us.

Adiabatic posted:

I'm half-expecting my AISS to buy me a die-cast S2000 then take a hammer to it.

Hehehe :clint:

I hadn't even thought about AISS yet, but now I'm excited for it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Fucknag posted:

Finished my Gulden Draak

Sup Belgian Beer buddy.

Went trick or treating with my toddler and kept myself warm with a pumpkin ale. Now I'm going to go see a Black Sabbath cover band that has multiple singers to represent the different generations of Sabbath. gently caress yeah! Happy Halloween AI!

• Locked thread