Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Seriously, September was depressing. Step up your game, guys.

No poo poo. Hopefully everybody is doing better this month. Come on no whammies, big bucks, big bucks, no whammies, big bucks, STOP!

Geirskogul posted:

Also, everyone buy an ACVW, so we can enjoy the pain as a group.

Hello Oktober: http://youtu.be/R2JWHIrr1KY

goatse guy posted:

I'm back on tinder, just for you guys. :v:

Dawwwwwwww. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Choices choices.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/oiaDNKVl.jpg][/timg]

Edit: I took the SWAT van today.

Holy poo poo, the mythical unmolested Type R, I've heard about those but never seen one in the wild. Those don't exist here in any sort of form, they've all been ruined by kids that think aftermarket parts and flat blacking the hood are the bees knees. Or just regular Integras the kids put stickers on. While we're on the topic, they all need to git off ma lawn!

edit: This is more on par for the course in these parts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-Integ...=US_Cars_Trucks

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 1, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Shampoo posted:

Should I take a job that moves me where I want to go, has me doing what I want to be doing, is packed with opportunity and a chance to do something that I like, but pays HALF what I make now?

If you hate what you do now, but would love what you would be doing and get paid well enough to actually live off the income with room for growth then the equation changes to what intrinsically motivates you?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The way you need to factor what you're living off of now is total pay minus transportation cost divided by hours of work + 4 for transit. That's your real pay, just because you get paid for 8 doesn't mean that you're off the clock when you commute, the money keeps going down per hour. If you're close enough to the new job that you can get there in 15 minutes, then you have just saved yourself 3.5 hours a day, so close to a part time job. In a total month you've saved 75.83 hours that you can spend with your daughter instead. On to the growth, what type of growth is at the potential job, personal or financial?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Shampoo posted:

That's a way to think about it that I wasn't counting on. It makes a good point. For the growth, ideally both, but to begin with, personal growth. I'm a (senior level) IT janitor now, this job would put me in charge of the IT janitors. Just a few and a Team Lead rather than a full on manager, so a way to get experience.

If the new job title has something along the lines of manager instead of senior, then the title alone would be worth the switch because then you can gain experience in management, think of it as an internship whereas you're building experience for future growth potential in lieu of pay. If it's another senior position, well it comes back to motivation again. If it is a management position, scope out the current management for retirement/etc. as far as how fast and when you can start climbing. It's never too early to think about the end game. Also, start digging into requirements for advancement if it requires certain pieces of paper, etc. If it does, then get it even if you don't advance there, it never hurts to have extra pieces of "i r smart" paper for future advancement elsewhere.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

If any of you have a machine you don't value, windows 10 technical preview is out now and can be downloaded: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I think it would have been awesome to have had 2 major point releases, Windows 9.5/9.8. It seems logical that 10 will be MS next real solid OS, they've had a track record recently of standard/testing/standard/testing starting with XP then Vista then 7 then 8. I have a Yoga and 8 works perfect on it, over 2 years I've not had a single blue screen and from cold boot I can still be in windows in 7 seconds which is faster than my ipad with a stripped down os. The real issue I have with 8 is MS went whole hog on the touch interface which really crippled it as a usable standard desktop OS.

edit: Just got it up and running and it's basically a live tiled start menu windows 7 with skydrive integration (it pulled over my user settings and files automatically from my laptop profile including desktop wallpaper from skydrive). And it has a multiple desktop thing going like linux that I'm digging so far. IE is still 11, but that's to be expected. It's missing some TPM and serial drivers, but that's to be expected, major devices like audio/video/network are present, it's a drat far sight better than the 8 preview and it actually performs like a regular machine would as well instead of the clunky previews that they've released in the past.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 1, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Too bad Viggen isn't here to yell at me for picking the low hanging fruit. :D

Hahaha, drat.. That guy gets more probations than anyone else. :allears:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cage posted:

Take pictures please! I saw those things months ago but never found any in-use pictures.

That right there, also a video if it's possible. I've not seen any actual usage or anything of any of the units.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Soooooo ......... he's about to teach us how to count?

Ok: http://youtu.be/B-Wd-Q3F8KM

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

There's a guy in my parents neighborhood that's been going all out every year for Halloween for the past 6 years and it's a new theme every year. The guy is obviously retired and has a ton of disposable income since his front lawn is easily about 3500 square feet and is filled with trails and stuff for people to explore. Last year he did Pirates of the Caribbean, the year before it was Sponge Bob, there's always plenty of blood and everything to go around.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

I grew up in a neighborhood where every other house gave out apples, popcorn balls, Chick tracts, pennies, or toothbrushes.

Goddamn, that sucks. We pass out the usual candy, but if we get older trick or treater's we give them condoms.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slip proof stairs posted:

That's a bummer. She pretty much refuses to learn how to drive a manual, despite the fact that both my cars are manual and every car she has owned has been drivable less often than not.

I have a 2002 cooper s and the most immediate thing that had issues is the radiator fan relays go bad. Just purchase a radiator from O'Reilly with a lifetime warranty for $120 and you're set, it only takes 30 minutes to replace. My replacement hasn't died yet, but it's good to know if it does I don't have to pay anything. Also 2002-2006 were non interference engines that are quite solid, the timing chain issue is on 2007+ which they changed engine manufacturers and types to interference engine, probably a cost thing. The auto transmissions are pretty lovely regardless of year and usually die at around 80k-100k miles, if that's all she knows how to drive, avoid a mini. If she knew how to drive stick, the mini manual transmissions are rock solid. I have 135k on mine and it still clicks in and out of gears like a brand new transmission.

slip proof stairs posted:

The things she likes the most on Minis are the size and that pretty cool looking mint blue paint:

Blue with black stripes represent! :gay:

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 7, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Ours was my wife's technically, though I drove it regularly while she slowly learned stick on it. It was a hoot.

Ours is my DD, but my wife steals it whenever she can and races me home if I meet her for dinner on my way home.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

But this is what desktop Linux is supposed to be like. This is how we get people to use non-MS/Apple OSes on the desktop. It's fluid, intuitive, pretty and fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzSPGkOyzW8

Looks interesting, I'll give it a shot. The largest issue I've had with Linux in general is first, support. Obviously since it's free and a communal sort of software, support and installations for anything else are pretty lovely at best. Second is the reliability factor, did you just get a break in power or have kids that don't understand how to shut down a computer instead of just pressing the power button? Hopefully you don't get the dreaded broken pipe error. It's a craps shoot, hopefully not because it's easier to reload off a backup than it is to fix the drat thing.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Just gave it a shot and uhhh.. It's a thing.. There's a reason I haven't touched Linux again in close to 16 years. First is driver support. The manufacturer didn't have any Linux drivers, so I went to the chip set source and got a Linux driver there. Second, I had to extract it then run the make command in terminal, after 10 minutes of monkeying with it it finally worked. If the terminal has to be one of the first things a user touches, it's a failed OS. That is what alienates Linux from being anywhere close to being a viable option for 99.9% of the users out there. It's fine for web/mail/radius pool server environments, aka areas where computer nerds will be operating and maintaining the machine, but for home use forget it, it really offers absolutely nothing over any other OS.

It installed in about 5 minutes as opposed to 10 for windows/OS X which was nice, but then came the driver installation to be up and going. That took hunting, extracting, making, then running as opposed to click, install, done. A driver installation should just be something that happens and shouldn't feel like you've accomplished anything of value since it's something that's an essential component.

edit: I also had to disable UEFI and go back to legacy otherwise it would poo poo a brick and artifact in the last 10% of installation for some reason.

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

What are you running on? These days, one of the main reasons I prefer Linux is that it has drivers for every drat thing. About the only thing it has trouble with are some Macbooks.

Intel 82579LM integrated gigabit nic. Pretty standard really, the HP 8xxx series machines we've been getting for the past 2-3 years have came with it. Knowing my luck, it's probably the same nic the troubled Macbooks have.

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 9, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

I'd be surprised if I ran into a consumer grade loonix that didn't have e1000 in it already. I haven't had to compile any custom modules for several years. I think the last time I did, I was trying to get an NTSC TC tuner card to work.

Welp, it seems this builds default driver set didn't have the e1000 (e1000e-3.1.0.2) driver in its db already, it also had lovely to non-existent UEFI support. I used elementaryos-stable-amd64.20130810.iso which was what the default download link kicks to. After using for a bit, it looks like it's trying really hard to skin itself like OS X, but it's still all Linux-y under the shined up turd.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

angryhampster posted:

I love my jackass dogs. They're adorable and one of them is criminally stupid.

I believe at least 1 has to be that way. We have a cocker spaniel that's as dumb as a bag of hammers.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

The only alcohol that I like are ciders, fireball mixed with cider, and gin and tonics and a few other mixed drinks.

Beer is gross and I will never like it

I hear ya, I use to only drink hard alcohol, but then I discovered Hopf Helle Weisse at a friends house. Come to find out I was just trying lovely beer before trying that. Don't even get me started on IPA's, that poo poo is terrible. Then again, it's all personal preference.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

I lived in Grand Rapids MI for 4 years. It's a place with 100" of snowfall on average and ~270 days of the year are completely overcast. I heard "At least it's not Ohio" a lot.

I lived in GD Rapids for 4 months from Sep 99 to Jan 00 to setup an ISP with a friend before I had enough of its poo poo and came back to CA.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bandman posted:

While my wife and I have been separated, I have had lots of time on my hands. To distract myself and keep from spiraling further into the depths of depression and self-loathing, I have been playing back through some old PS2 games from way back. Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy X and I forgot how much I enjoyed playing it the first time around.

My cousin and his wife divorced after nearly 20 years of marriage a couple years ago. To occupy his thoughts and more importantly time so he didn't spiral, he took a stab at stand up comedy. It ended up being one of the best things he's ever done because it allowed him to throw his thoughts out there and spin it into humor for other people. Your mileage may vary.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

God dammit, this is what I get for using ebay to buy something for the first time in 4 years. Forgot to update my address and now it's going to the last place I lived.

Apparently UPS will let you redirect a package but I'm about to lose my poo poo trying to get the UPS MyChoice website to actually let me loving do it.

I had an oh poo poo moment like that last year when we moved to the country and my package went to the previous residence. Fortunately it hadn't closed escrow yet and the neighbors kept a lookout for it and got it for me.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Evil Within should just be called You're hosed. Also, Borderlands the pre whatever should just be called play as Claptrap, you'll thank us later.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

Technically unnamed, 9lb 2oz. "Little" boy was born this afternoon. Baby and momma are doing awesome. I'd forgotten they could be so little. :3: (and for reference, this is #2).

Congrats!!! Unless he has colic or gets colicy when you take him home, in which case may god have mercy upon your soul. If the latter of the two happens, it gets better. Later on you'll completely forget he had colic for a brief period in his and your life.

angryhampster posted:

Congratulations! Mrs Hamster and I just started intentionally working on one.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you two. :)

I closed my baby factory 2 years ago and mrs keykey shut hers down last year this time since she apparently had endometriosis the past maybe 7 years. It had been growing until she had side pains, went in for an appt, got an xray and ct scans done then had her uterus removed. Fortunately it was caught in the early stages, but now it's something that's monitored yearly. Also she was fortunate enough that the growth hadn't (hasn't) spread to her ovaries so she doesn't need to do any estrogen shot .

keykey fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 17, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

About 6 months ago I was in a bar getting drinks with friends after work, 75% female. A guy walked up to one of my friends and hands her a $5.00 and says," Play anything you want." She in turn handed me the fiver and said," Go to town." I'd never used one before then, but surprisingly it had the extended version of In A Gadda Da Vida, Christeene: Fix My Dick, some other songs for flavor, and it ended right Dimmu Borgir: Puritania.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Alien Isolation should be called AAAAAAA AAAAAA AAAAAAA AAAAAAAA: Just Kidding We Know You're Only Scared The First Time This Game Is Pretty Unfair Sometimes (Check Your loving Motion Tracker More, rear end in a top hat Special Edition)

I want to like it more, stop being mean to me game :(

Alien vs Predator was much about the same way playing as a marine. Look at motion tracker, look at motion tracker, look at motion tracker.... OH SHIIIIIIT!!! SHOOTSHOOTSHOOTSHOOTRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN.. gently caress, I'm dead. After playing The Evil Within a little more last night, I'm starting to feel the same way about it as I did playing Dark Souls and I'm too whatever to crank it down to casual, because gently caress that I want the challenge.

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 17, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Phonechat I've decided gently caress $650 for the Nexus 6, I'm probably going to go with the 64GB OnePlus One for $350. I wasted my invite because I didn't understand how the 24hour thing worked, but if I can get another, I'll have the finest Chinese phone around.

A friend of mine just got his 1+1 in the mail yesterday and it really is the finest Chinese phone in 'Murica for the price.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Does he have any invites left? :v:

Nope, a friend of mine asked him before I could. :haw:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Baller Witness Bro posted:

We usually queue up 3 or 4 rounds of Hotel California and watch the suffering go down.

That reminds me, we went to see Boston play at Shoreline Amphitheater a few months ago and one of the guys that played in the eagles was opening up. I don't really care for the Eagles, but he had great stage presence so he and his band were entertaining. Though if he has been touring for the past 40 years and wasn't obviously something was wrong. Anyway, he goes through the set and starts the opening riff for Hotel California. I knew if I didn't go to the bathroom then for a sit down strike the crowd would be waaaaaay too long afterward. As it turns out, that was a great move. There's nothing quite like getting serenaded to a deuce, especially by the guy from that one band.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bandman posted:

I just spent 3 hours reading about this whole GamerGate farce, trying to understand the motivations behind it and what exactly their goal is, and all I learned was that there are a shitload of emotionally-stunted man-children who all need to be given wedgies.

I read about it for approx. 30 seconds before saying gently caress it, this doesn't affect me 1 single bit and proceeded to promptly close the site.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

Sorry to break this to you dude, but misogyny affects everyone.

No, in this case it really doesn't. I have found life's cheat codes, closing a browser or using avoidance as a tactic. I may sound like an rear end in a top hat but I'm too old to care about e-problems. The few times the internet manifested itself in real life it inconvenienced me from getting home at my normal time thereby keeping me from spending time with my family. I'm looking at you critical mass bike riders and we are the 99% shitheads loving up the freeway in Oakland. If it stays on the internet, at least I have a choice in closing my browser or reading through too much poo poo to care.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

How'd you guys do overall? My wife and I saw the snap of the dented side and being jacked up yesterday a few hours into the race while having lunch she said,"Holy crap, that sucks!"

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

They sell that at raleys and Safeway around here. I'm pretty sure even some grocery outlets carry it though we have a fairly large Hmong population.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, they've been doing this a lot. Basically, anything that they oppose would 'cause harm to children' or 'threaten Christianity'

Dog-whistles HO!

Midterm election 2014 CA edition includes "hurting the environment" and "evil corporations." We're blue so the blue pandering machine is on full steam ahead, much like your red pandering machine.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

How that drought going?

Swimmingly. :3:

edit: Actually a few people out where we're at have had to drill their wells deeper. We're sitting plenty pretty because my wife's grandpa drilled his well extra deep when they had it drilled 20 years ago after they had their first dry well when we had a drought back then.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 20, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

IIRC there was a ~5 billion water bill passed a while back, and I think they said the Republicans pushed to get about 2 billion dedicated for new reservoirs and such, so if they're not stupid they should be playing that up.

I'm in the predominantly red part of the state and they don't play up that whole new reservoir thing up nearly as much as they should. We have a few dams around here that were built specifically to supply power to the bay area and so-cal that were blue supported, so I really don't see why they don't play that up, but whatever. The campaign plot twists we get here are "THIS GUY DIDN'T DO HIS JOB TO PROTECT THE AGRICULTURE AGAINST DROUGHT!" "OH YEAH, WELL MY OPPONENT SENDS ALL THE WATER TO SO-CAL ALONG WITH YOUR JOOOOOOOOOOBBBSSSSS." So, it's more blue collar ads in this region peppered with a lot more ads that try to make it sound like they can control the flow of rain. I was wondering if other states political ads were as loving backwards as ours and it appears they are. In our region it boils down to both parties playing folksy music because shucks, farm land. Red says jobs and agriculture and "home town values" whatever in the gently caress that means since we produce the nations meth, also blue guy doesn't do his job. Blue says jobs and agriculture and vote for me because I control the weather.

edit: gently caress, I need to stop posting today, this is the second double post in 2 threads today..

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Christ why did I bother listing parts on Craigslist. Got a guy who keeps wondering why I don't want to meet at my house, why I want to know what parts he wants to actually buy so I can bring them, and apparently can't see the fact that every single part is photographed in the ad itself. :cripes:

You're gonna get raped.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It only seems to happen when you respond to my posts :v:

Yes, however not this time! :haw:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

(we're playing LORD

:stare: That's.. A name I haven't heard in close to 20 years.

Bbschat: In the mid 80's my parents installed a phone line in my room so I could hook my Amiga up to BBSes instead of stretching a phone line between rooms. This opened up a whole new world of low res porn to 14 year old me. Nobody had my phone number so if it rang I knew it was an OP doing age verification. Fortunately I had a quasi-deep voice already so it wasn't hard to fake the remaining 25%.

For my money, its a tossup between what's better, found woods porn or low res BBS porn. Probably low res BBS porn because I was getting away with it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

In my mind Strong Bad is the lead singer.

Viggen posted:

Well, she's gonna need some work..

(cleek)

Holy poo poo, that's a hell of a strong starting point for only $1500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Viggen's new AV makes me physically ill to view.

Imagine just how much bacne that guy would have IRL.

• Locked thread