Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Should I take a job that moves me where I want to go, has me doing what I want to be doing, is packed with opportunity and a chance to do something that I like, but pays HALF what I make now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, is what you make now big enough that you can live on half?

It's doable. It's not comfortable, but it's doable. Luckily, my wife is in charge of the finances, and because of that we have a decent cushion, which would be used up with moving costs and then ratcheting our expenses down. I don't know though. Half pay feels like such a step backwards even though everything else is a step in the right direction.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

keykey posted:

If you hate what you do now, but would love what you would be doing and get paid well enough to actually live off the income with room for growth then the equation changes to what intrinsically motivates you?

It's tough, I don't hate my job now, I hate the commute. It's nearly two hours on various mass transit systems (each way) and it's in the Boston Metro area so it's expensive. Moving to this job would mean we move out to the Albany area where things are cheaper (though no half price) and we'd be able to live closer to work, but then my wife would have to get work too to make up the difference. She's a BA, so it's not like there's a shortage of jobs for her, but it's still something to think about.

I want to be able to spend more time with my daughter than I can now since I'm on the train for a sixth of the day, but the point is moot if I can't make enough for us to enjoy our lives with her. Scraping by with an infant is not what I want to do, but there aren't jobs like I want in the Albany area that pay even close to what I get now in Boston. I've been looking for about 10 months now, so it's not that long, but it's pretty discouraging. If it wasn't for the pay, this job I'm in line for would be perfect right down to the industry.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

keykey posted:

The way you need to factor what you're living off of now is total pay minus transportation cost divided by hours of work + 4 for transit. That's your real pay, just because you get paid for 8 doesn't mean that you're off the clock when you commute, the money keeps going down per hour. If you're close enough to the new job that you can get there in 15 minutes, then you have just saved yourself 3.5 hours a day, so close to a part time job. In a total month you've saved 75.83 hours that you can spend with your daughter instead. On to the growth, what type of growth is at the potential job, personal or financial?

That's a way to think about it that I wasn't counting on. It makes a good point. For the growth, ideally both, but to begin with, personal growth. I'm a (senior level) IT janitor now, this job would put me in charge of the IT janitors. Just a few and a Team Lead rather than a full on manager, so a way to get experience.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

keykey posted:

If any of you have a machine you don't value, windows 10 technical preview is out now and can be downloaded: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Here's the direct link to the download: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso If you're on a Mac, they won't let you in from the above like "Your operating system isn't supported"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Anphear posted:

I know its like a day old but go and check out this thread in BFC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603093

Some guys have gotten hefty movement bonuses or relocation packages from simply negotiating over there new job.

This is super handy, thanks! It's looking good for the position, I think they're going to offer it next week. I'll give negotiation a shot. It's a state job though (with SUNY) so the negotiation opportunities might be limited, but I won't know until I try!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

slip proof stairs posted:

\Wine country is nearby, which can be fun if you're into the whole vineyard tour thing.

As a born and raised New Englander, my wife and I were floored how much we liked Austin and the surrounding hill country. We were down there for a wedding and got stuck and extra few days because of Sandy, so we went into the hills and toured wineries and visited LBJ's ranch We were the youngest people there by 30 years, but I had a b-l-a-s-t. Good wine too. Pedernales winery was especially nice.

...Yes, I'm a big dork.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Just live in Salem MA for a few years, and you'll be cured of the desire to do ANYTHING for Halloween except shut off the lights and close the curtains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Farmer Shampoo and his little cow

She's too little for candy, so we just walked around. Stayed out of the Salem drunken bedlam, walked around with the locals.

• Locked thread