Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So my partner thinks she's ready for a car again. This is problematic. She's like unintentionally AI. Things on her wish list are an older Alfa Spider, a Jeep of some description, a few other things I can't remember, and the real doozy, she actually wanted me to find out the price of the manx like buggy in a paddock a few towns away. Dead paint, no engine, swing axles, wide rims...mmm yeah baby. That's my dream car.
I know the price would make me cry and it'd be a yard ornament but I'm still tempted to go find out given that I have a stockpile of NOS VW parts and a couple of engines that would bolt in sitting around doing nothing.

ACVWs are like a horrible disease with no cure that can either take years to kill someone or just weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

Isn't it about time for you to get another Ford? :q:

No. No. Nononononono. No. NO.

I've been looking at eBay, Gumtree etc. for a few hundred km radius. Something like half the cars are minor variants of the Fairlane. I get pissed off and walk away. All the cool cars are too expensive, too far away, too useless or too broken.

The Fairlane needs it's registration renewed. It runs out in a couple of weeks. I would have rather put that money towards a car, then cut my losses and sell the Fairlane for cheap as is and use that money toward the other proposed car registration. I mean it's a rare car but that's more of a pain in the rear end than anything else.

Not sure how the buggy factors in to all of it. Something to do with the lifetime of VWs Stockholm syndrome.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

DJ Commie posted:

You'd love what I just bought then!

Oh I do. You triggered a nasty little itch that was long dormant.

Viggen posted:

Sell G_F your Subaru!

So I an rock a LHD variant of a not totally uncommon RHD vehicle here? I mean I already have a motor but it seems a little circuitous.

eBay is pissing me off. I was going to post a link of something interesting but I can't find it. It's a pre production MB Gelandewagen ute variant. If I were single and had the cash I'd be all over it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Can't speak for '78 in particular but the GL and Brumby (Brat?) used to be as common as dirt. They still pop up from time to time driving around, in wreckers and sitting in yards or paddocks.

Oh god there's a Renault 12 only an hour away. They used to be pretty common when I was in high school but not so much now. I have a head sickness. Even entertaining the idea isn't healthy.

e: Pretty much had her sold on a Saab 900S convertible but it was manual. Red flag. Damnit.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 4, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

You don't want an S, they're NA. Avoid anything with the BW 3 speed slushbox, too (93 'vert and earlier). They're godawful.

Nonono, NA is good. NA is less powerful. It's not for me.
Shame about the slushbox. I don't like them but again, not for me.

I drove past the buggy again today. Actually took a detour to do it. Tried to take a photo but the camera on the phone was just seeing black :( I can at least confirm it has wheels like DJ Commie's.
I need to figure out who the paddock belongs to and pay them a visit. I know it's a functionally useless vehicle to me but I just have to know.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

este posted:

If you buy straight grain alcohol and add water you can make a half gallon of "vodka" for $15

pretty sure if we could get booze in Australia as cheap as that other stuff, or get hold of this without being denatured, roughly 90% of the population would be dead within a week.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

T1g4h posted:

I love the Top Truck Challenge. That green S10 :allears:

Which one is that? I don't know, and I tend to watch youtube videos in tl;dr format with sound off. Is it the one with the spare on the front? How do they see?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, the green one with the spare on the front. I'm pretty sure they only did that for that event to get some extra traction up front for that hillclimb.

Thanks for humouring me. I hope that's the case. It looks like it'd be a pretty major handicap otherwise. So does that mean the rules allow shuffling things around for challenges?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Baller Witness Bro posted:

It's actually genius despite how specific it is to your location. It's great to post anonymously but it wouldn't mean anything if it were posted to everyone in the world. They limit it to ~1.5 miles from your location AFAIK so that when you make a post there's some semblance of a chance that readers will understand what the gently caress you're talking about.

So I could post to nobody 99% of the time. Sounds great. Sort of like g+

Kind of reminds me of that Nintendo 3DS streetpass bullshit. It might work well in an urban area in Japan but probably nowhere else. That sort of functionality doesn't really interest me but out of curiosity a while back I'd take my 3DS with me and keep it asleep in my pocket when I was in a population centre. I think I pinged two, maybe three people in quite a few days. I know it's only Wi-fi range but still, crowded shopping centres etc.
Unless something artificially boosts awareness and desirability to use a localized service, usage rates are probably going to be very low.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hotel wifi...for 15euro a day it should be able to handle netflix or youtube. I just want to zone out to Archer episodes, eat (crappy) delivery sushi and drink beer:argh:

That's either expensive wifi or you mean for acomodation and wifi. If it's the latter what kind of cardboard box is it?

Late chiming in but Samsung device quality can be hit and miss. Their higher end stuff can be really good but you're paying a premium for having parts that weren't dug out of some sweatshop assembly works' obsolete parts bin.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
If I call it living art, could I do a kickstarter to fund staying drunk for the rest of my life? Or at least for a mule to smuggle a bottle of absinthe into the country in their anus or something? Literal or figurative whatever, as long as the bottle isn't opened. I'd really like to try it.

Am I the only person that would welcome dementia? I don't know if it's the wrong thing but whenever I enounter someone with dementia / alzheimers I'm happy to chat with them for the duration of ...whatever. Short term memory persistence? They mightn't remember so well, but they still live in the present. Who gives a poo poo if they think they know me. It's a brief moment of happiness for them.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
YAY CAT!

Does Compuserve still own the .gif format? Do they still exist?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
There is nothing wrong with Linux as a desktop. people have been trained to jump through hoops to use Windows so they don't notice them so much any more (Win8 excluded). Linux has hoops too, but they are different. For the most part there are far less of them. The ones that still stand out to me are file sharing and printer configuration. Printer config isn't hard exactly but it can be difficult to figure out where to do it because of the number of different programs that can do it. Also the HP drivers as a separate entity keeps tripping me over. When everything else just works it's counter-intuitive.

File sharing is a goddamn mess. I don't even know if it's possible to do Windows sharing without opening smb.conf with a text editor at least once.

For the rest of it, finding and installing programs is drat easy, and there seems to be a decent equivalent for most things now, or a Linux port.

I also like that I can leave the computer on for a month or two and it still works the same as when I booted it.

/linux

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I'm back from the war on ISIL, baby!

Did you win?

I've essentially shut out the outside world, so I have no drat idea what's going on any more.

Lots of things going on here. Making progress slowly with lots of bullshit setbacks and lots of hard work. I hate every moment of my life but there progress is being made.
At least the yard is approaching usable. New fence, gardens appearing, one car corpse gone so far etc.

Took a load of branches and other rubbish to the next town using the Niva and the car-slayer 7x5 trailer. It made it there and back. The radiator seems to be really badly clogged though. loving damnit. I found a bottle of radiator flush in the shed. I might see if that improves things a bit for now.

Weather's warming up here. I'm sunburned as hell and loving it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I had Souvlaki pizza last night. It was delicious.

I also like owning a house because I can hang what I want where I want, rearrange things, plant things, work on cars, and most importantly I will never ever again get told "Sorry the owner sold the house. You have a couple of weeks to get your stuff out". It might be a weird old small crooked house but it's paid for.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The one in the third photo is a beetle.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

goatse guy posted:

I have a checkup soon so I will ask my doctor about it. Hypothyroidism runs in my family.

Could also be hyperthyroidism. All I can really think is thyroid or serotonin related.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The Ford dealership / service centre closed down here without warning recently. All the stuff has been taken away. next month they are having a clearance sale of the equipment. Probably all too high $ for me but I'm going anyway. Anything good to look out for?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

leica posted:

I'd jump on a tire machine and/or balancer for the right price.

That's a really good idea. I don't know if they actually had them though. It's just a shame it's actually cheaper for me to import tyres from the Ukraine or U.S. than buy locally. What the hell gives with that.
If they had a mid '90s Aussie Ford code scanner, I'd buy it, masturbate to it until I came blood, and then make bank reading codes for people from those godawful motherfucking ECUs. Their codes are the same as the U.S. OBDII codes, but they have a different plug and a different means of interfacing. I found an arcane document a few years back that helps me decipher some of the "human readable" poo poo it spews uby umping some pins and using an analog multimeter, but to read the stuff and initiate diagnostic mode properly it needs a device that is made from unicorn farts and rainbows.

/rant.

I considered maybe a lift but it'd be useless unless I wanted to use a generator or really long extension cord to enable me to crush cars against the roof beams of the garage.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

goatse guy posted:

Misogyny isn't just limited to manchildren whining on the internet about bideo gaymes. I am frightened by misogyny in any form because it's so pervasive in our society.

I'm not crazy about misogyny or misandry. Ahaha oh holy poo poo. Spell checker recognizes misogyny but not misandry. Wow.

My partner has a friend that's a misandrist. Really I'd love to hit her over the head and bury her somewhere when she essentially dehumanizes males, including me, like it's nothing. I can't grasp why people are like that beyond some hosed up person somewhere along the line propagating the view through their offspring. People are people. Sure the differences can make one gender a bit hard to comprehend to the other at times but that's no reason to hate them.

So, changing away from all this, I picked up an espresso machine from the secondhand shop. Still had the manuals, tags and all. I've been having way too much coffee since. I only drink it black but damned if I don't like coffee made with them the best.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
gently caress yes coffee time.

To all the people that don't like it, I don't blame you. I feel a lot clearer headed and better if I don't go anywhere near the stuff. Plus I'm pretty sure it's coffee that's causing a skin condition. But damned if it isn't a brief panacea for the soul in the morning. Shame it doesn't last. Things always go totally batshit insane and there's hours to go before drinking time.

My brother in law is still doing the equivalent of pokemon trading with cars. Literally as soon as he gets one he throws it up on facebook to swap for something else. This has been going on for ages. Sometimes he has a car for only hours.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

N is for Nipples posted:

Maybe he's trying the Craigslist thing where he starts with some tiny thing and swaps things for better and better things.

If he didn't have the worst case of automotive ADHD in history he could have. he's traded up pretty nicely a few times, then he goes and trades for something lovely again. Today's car is a Mazda somethingorother SUV. Last week it was a Mitsubishi. There have been quite a few 4x4s, Commodores, a Tarago van, a Fairmont, a Suzuki and I don't know what else. He's literally my neighbour but even then it's still easily possible to miss a few trades.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I picked up a heap of solar powered halloween lights from Bunnings a couple of days ago on clearance. most of them are up in the yard already. I don't give a poo poo that Australia doesn't do the halloween thing. The lights are awesome.

Also 188km /42L tank :negative:

Ran out of fuel within sight of town this morning. Being prepared I had some fuel with me. I'm just at a loss now.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

12.6mpg? What are you driving?

The Niva. 1.6L of Russian fury.

e: I also tried my hand at replacing the smashed touch screen on my phone last night. I used windscreen RTV to stick it on. It's the same thing only smaller... right?

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 24, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Were you towing the ferd uphill with the handbrake on?

Nope. Dead flat here. No handbrake oopsies and no towing. Just around town and over to the next town this morning. I think it has a drinking problem.

e ^^^ I've ordered some special tape from HK or china for doing this, but it'll be a while and I wanted my Defy+ back. Bit of a bitch of a job because of the gaskets, O rings, fragile membranes etc.
I think the touchscreen I used was pretty lovely quality but oh well. I get what I pay for.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 24, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My brother in law's car of the day is a Triton Dual Cab.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My phone is IP67 rated :smug:
I bought it because any phone I own has automatically been given a death sentence. So far I've only smashed the laminated surface of the touch screen. Touch screen still worked perfectly if you don't mind dragging your finger over shards of broken glass. The windscreen RTV is still holding the new touch screen in well.

Spent some money I shouldn't have on a couple of Steam keys for Borderlands 2. I figure price per hours of entertainment it's pretty good value. We got it for the 360 ages back but I couldn't cope with the menus in splitscreen. From calm to rage in seconds. So, we're going to play through on PCs. partially because the pre-sequel is off limits until 2 is done. After watching a review of the pre-sequel and instantly recognizing most of the voice actors that did it for me.

Can't touch games yet though. The last couple of weeks has been brutal and it's not over yet. Plus my graphics card seems to be taking a poo poo. Goddamnit I can't afford another one any time soon :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

I just resigned myself to the fact that I will nuke a phone every 6 to 9 months and have retarded requirements for my phones so I buy $50 droid 3s off ebay and back up my photos regularly. Problem solved.

Do not recommend me a phone I should buy. Seriously.

Not going to. But this is mine. Bought it used like most of my phones because they'll get killed. Not a fantastic phone but it does what I need and most importantly it's IP rated.
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_defy+-4098.php

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
There were some stray children wandering around trick or treating yesterday. My side gate is locked and only a tall child could even reach the latch on my front gate. it's one of those nice magnalatch ones used on pools and at some child care places. I didn't even bother locking it with the key. gently caress 'em. My daughter is down for the count with the flu. It'd be a real blow to her seeing the other kids when she can't do the same.

Plus I don't want random ferals on my property. bah Humbug, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So is drinking something that says "Not to be used as a beverage" a bad thing? Also, rusty can o' baked beans tonight. woo!

I hate existing so much...

Happy yester'een from the future!

• Locked thread