Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If you haven't already done so, you've got four days left to submit your Sheep Game answers! The deadline for submission is 11pm Pacific Time on Saturday, with the big reveal starting on Sunday at 3pm Pacific Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

T-Square posted:

Guys I have a bunch of Halloween parties this month but I have no loving clue what I want to do for a costume. Serious problems here.

Go as Bill Murray characters. Go to one party as Peter Venkman, another as Groundskeeper Carl, Steve Zissou, etc. None of them are hard to pull off and should be good for a laugh.

Come to think of it, I just might do that myself.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

If none of these is Hunter S. Thompson from Where The Buffalo Roam, you are a shameful man.

The pro'est suggestion. Goddamn how did I forget about that one?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I don't care what any of you say, but getting piss-in-the-hamper drunk off Natty Ice is a pretty impressive feat.

E: I think you need a decoy hamper for next time you get blackout though.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 4, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

If anyone is still interested, there are five hours left to get your Sheep Game answers in...read the OP in the stickied thread for the questions and submission instructions. Get 'em in before 11pm Pacific Time tonight!

The big reveal will begin tomorrow at 3pm Pacific Time...see you all then!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

I'm not touching it until it's loving done. it's sad to see early access game after early access game "released" completely unfinished while the dev starts another kickstarter for their next piece of poo poo.

So you bought Spacebase DF-9 too, huh?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Twin Peaks returns in 2016, this time to Showtime. I hope they film it here in Washington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Don't worry Viggen, were not going to put you in a home...

yet.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Fucknag, you failed an exam...one single, measly exam. Your life or indeed you academic career are far from over.

Yeah it might feel kind of lovely, but life is absolutely full of failure, so get used to it. What you need to do is learn from your failure so that you don't do it again. My advice is to forget about it until tomorrow, then sit down and have a good session of self-reflection...try to figure out where you went wrong and what you should do differently. Then formulate a plan to make sure it won't happen again and critically, stick with it! Also, if you need help, get it. Find a study buddy (not that kind of "study buddy"); talk to your prof/TA to see if there is anything they can do to help you along

What I'm trying to say is there is no reason to give up on yourself just because you failed an exam; in the grand scheme of things it will likely prove to be a nearly-meaningless occurrence in your life. Failing that, you're still leading the Sheep Game!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know I know. Its just I have hit a stale point in life.

But the real question is... More train snap chats?

More train snap chats.

I should take more airplane snaps, but I'm usually too busy to be doing that stuff when I'm out there, plus snap chatting from the airplane is, well, frowned upon...:v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

goatse guy posted:

gently caress it, just do what I do and spam everyone. Hope y'all enjoy dogs!

Your little dog is adorable, keep them coming! :3:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

All I have to worry about is lactose intolerance, which is pretty bad in my case. About the most milk I can consume at any given time is about what you'd put in your coffee/tea and that's it; also ice cream is off-limits too sadly (but yogurt and cheese is A-OK). I basically don't drink either (though anyone who followed me on Snapchat during Oktoberfest might think otherwise :v:) - work/work scheduling basically means I don't have time to drink, and it feels really loving weird having a beer at 7 am.

Also today is Canadian Thanksgiving and I have a serious case of the turkey nods right now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

CharlesM posted:

You guys are worse than GBS, except you actually have driver's licenses (presumably).

No, here we can have an honest and open discussion about our bowels. GBS is the equivalent of a poorly-behaved 3-year old at a Christmas concert running up to a microphone, shouting "POOOOOP!" as loud as they can and running away laughing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I guess more details are needed. He has a girlfriend whom he lives with and is father to her two children from a previous marriage. We just found out he's been cheating on her for the duration of their relationship.

I recently made it well known to everyone I was friends with on Facebook at the time (like 900 people at the time) that my newly single and very depressed sister was off limits because over a dozen guys messaged me expecting me to hook them up. The d-bag in question was one of the first people to like the "NO TOUCH SISTER" post and commended me on standing up and protecting her.

So yeah, he's a cheating douchebag who swore he'd never try to make a move on her and is doing exactly the opposite.

OK first of all there's a huge difference between swearing an oath to someone and liking a Facebook post. Not defending that guy's actions, but my point still stands.

Second, and I might be a bit off-base with this observation, but by getting yourself involved in this sort of poo poo, you are becoming exactly the kind of person you claim to loathe. Think back to previous episodes when your friends tried to meddle in your life/relationships...didn't like it too much, did you? The same applies in the opposite direction. To repeat the sentiment many others have expressed, unless this relationship is abusive in any way, keep your nose out of their business.

Finally, it really does sound like you need to seriously reevaluate your view of relationships. If you judge your worth by how many friends you have rather than the quality of friends you have, you are doomed to keep repeating this sort of petty, adolescent drama over and over again, no matter how old you get or how physically far away from it you get. Yeah the prospect of having only half a dozen to a dozen real friends might sound scary, but believe me, you will be better for it...just whatever you do, don't set up the proverbial dart board and pick people who will be your new close friends and who won't be. This stuff happens naturally.

Also, it might be time to go full retard and completely delete your Facebook account.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Rhyno posted:

My sister has been very vocally in agreement with me about not wanting my friends trying to roll up on her. And the fact that a good dozen guys have tried to get me to hook them up with her pulls me in no matter what.

And where did I judge my own worth by my number of friends?

Also this poo poo would be happening with or without Facebook.

Well if your sister is capable of telling you she's not interested in any of your "friends", she's perfectly capable of standing up for herself. I understand she's family and all but at the same time thinking you need to intervene on her behalf is pretty patronising. Having said that, anyone who asked you for an in with your sister is not worth even an iota of consideration in your life. First of all because they don't have the balls to ask your sister for themselves and second of all what the gently caress are they even thinking...asking something like that is just hosed up and creepy even at the best of times.

As for judging worth based on the number of friends (real or Facebook) a person has, I've always held the belief like anyone who brags about their bank statment, anyone who even mentions how many friends that have on Facebook isn't really worth associating with, so take that for what it's worth. It is an utterly meaningless number that serve no other purpose other than to fuel one's own egotism.

Finall, regarding Facebook; yeah the drama might still happen if you're not on it, but A) it will be a whole lot less than what you are expeiencing now and B) it will be a lot easier to ignore. Considering the sheer number of jackasses that seem to be in your life for no other purpose than to cause you grief, I would consider that a win. Since it is clear that these people aren't going to change for the better, it is entirely up to you to remould your life to the way you want it. You're a smart guy Rhyno, don't sell yourself short.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 15, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

One page of a 4 page menu. All you can eat. :stare: Everything except the meatloaf and mashed potatoes were pretty drat good.

Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy...good thing you were already on the heart floor.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Surely I can't be the only person who thinks the Nexus 6 is just too big and too expensive? I'm eligible for an upgrade right now and I was kind of holding off to see what the 5's replacement would be, but now I'm thinking I'm just going to get a 5 instead.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Man Home Depot must have screwed someone really badly; someone phoned an a bomb threat to the same store twice in as many days.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/calgary/topstories/bomb-threat-at-home-depot-in-calgary-s-southeast-being-investigated-1.2802083

Here's hoping they nail the guy.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kastein posted:

They just screwed at least 56 million people actually, including me, pardon me while I sit here reveling in a little schadenfreude for a minute.

Well in fairness they are getting justifiably hammered for it.

E: I mean the case against them practically builds itself

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 17, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

leica posted:

I'm kind of afraid to ask, but what the gently caress is game gate.

The tl;dr version is that the gaming industry got called out by Anita Sarkeesian for basically treating women (both in games and IRL) as objects rather than as people. Then all the reddit/4chan MRA manbabies got a hold of it and started making all kinds of threats and boycotts to businesses and people alike because their emotionally and intellectually stunted world view was being challenged by, well, reality.

Ginchat: I've always maintained that gin is the preferential choice of alcoholics, so it isn't a surprise to see so many gin drinkers here in AI :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I drink mostly beer and bourbon, but I do love a Suffering Bastard every once in a while, especially if bourbon is used in place of rum.

Fucknag posted:

A filthy whore female game designer allegedly slept with a reviewer to get a better review (which I'm fairly certain turned out to be bullshit, but that's almost irrelevant now). This got the ~%~gamer community~%~ all up in arms, so they started pushing in social media for fair, unbiased video game reviews, untainted by outside sources.

They did this by loving up any and every reviewer who dared criticize misogynistic elements of games, or bring up equality in any way, and by sending death threats to Sarkeesian and others, and by wishing rape upon many female designers and reviewers.

You know. For unbiased reporting.

The "gate" is them trying to elevate this little slapfight over silly bullshit for children to the same level as one of the biggest political scandals of the 20th century. Without a trace of irony they use this term, "gamergate".

I didn't know about the first part...what in the absolute gently caress is wrong with these people. I am literally (not figuratively) unable to comprehend the sheer idiocy and pettiness of this whole thing now.

I've got to go for a drive or go lift or something...thinking about this is pissing me off.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 18, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I only drink coffee when I have little else to choose from. After years of aviation coffee, which is made from Skydrol and ground-up tires as far as I can tell, the thought of drinking coffee - even good, well-made stuff - makes my stomach turn. Give me a cup of tea instead please.

Unrelated, but I just had a great lift and I feel much less angry now. :)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The only thing worse than a cork gasket is a cork make-a-gasket kit...the kind where they give you a roll of lovely cork and basically say, "here rear end in a top hat, make it yourself."

E: Also, Adam West is the only acceptable Batman. Everyone else tried/tries too hard.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 21, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Viggen and CSB in an Exploder (or Rover?) on a transcontinental road trip to pick up an example of one of the quirkiest cars ever built, bought sight unseen.

Hollywood couldn't dream up a more ridiculous road trip comedy even if they tried.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

This might be heresy to you IT nerds but Rhyno could also get an ultrabook. I had largely the same needs as Rhyno (plus I wasn't too keen on lugging around a huge, heavy laptop) so I bought a Yoga 2 Pro, and I couldn't be happier with it, to be honest.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

T1g4h posted:

I saw the snap but couldn't actually read the key, what did you do? :colbert:

Stockholm syndrome. Or rather Solihull syndrome.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I would say to not become a lawyer unless you're a bloodthirsty pit bull. Those are the ones that make the stereotype of 'wealthy lawyer dude'. And this thread moves at ridiculous pace once it turns into YosPos and I don't understand any of it.

I've always been told that unless you have the marks to get into one of the top five law schools (in the US and/or Canada at least), don't bother because you're gonna end up in a soul-sucking family law practice, fighting over which of Billy-Bob or Bobby-Sue gets the double-wide and the Camaro.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I pretty much hated Firefly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Doesn't the Sportwagen freeze its intercooler into a block of ice in the cold, and make mud in said intercooler in the summer?

loving Volkswagen.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

goatse guy posted:

I have mixed feelings about dating him. We've been friends for a really long time and have a ton in common and I know that he'd treat me really well, but I hate dating friends because it always ends poorly. We also work for the same company now, so that adds an extra layer of bullshit to the mixture.

I will hopefully be seeing him on Friday though.

Dating co-workers almost always ends in tears...a wise choice. Don't go dipping your pen in company ink. Or in your case goatse guy, don't get your ink dipped by a company pen. :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I just had a seriously good workout...today is a heavy day of squats, deadlifts and bench (two sets of twelve reps in each exercise then add weight for one set of five), and I set personal bests in every one of them once again - been setting them now every week for the last eight weeks. Not only am I feeling pretty good now, if last week is any indication I won't even be sore for tomorrow's workout; hot yoga, where I am the only guy in a class of a dozen or so twenty- and thirty-somethings. :getin:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

I can't wait to get back to my garage gym and get back to serious lifting. Do body weight stuff while traveling but it just isn't the same. I've thought about yoga, you enjoy it (other than the eye candy)?

I do enjoy it; I find it really helps with my flexibility and range of motion, and all the the stretching from the poses feels so good after a week of heavy workouts and sitting on my rear end for hours at work. Plus it's also a killer isometric workout too. If you choose to do hot yoga bring a shitload of water and don't be surprised if you feel like you're going to die halfway through.

But yeah, the eye candy is pretty good too. :stwoon:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Viggen posted:

I have a few ideas that are much better than that. :pervert:

What, like an S2000 model full of mealworms?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I got a box full of wire for my AISS gift last year plus a bunch of other really useful trim tools and electrical supplies, thanks Bulk Vanderhuge!

On the other hand, I also got a sweet Red Air Force propaganda poster too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

:siren: NEW ROADKILL :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XWHOAeutel

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Just went browsing through D&D and it seems that the injection of new mod blood has made it immeasurably better. Good job IOC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Drinking~!

• Locked thread