Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

Holy poo poo thats loving metal as gently caress.

According to my LPO, it isn't total bullshit that some E-3 getting bluejacket/stopping to check if anyone is hurt at a vehicle accident in a shore command gets a NAM but an E-3 saving a life on a battlefield under fire just gets a pat on the back in some cases.

Is it just hospitals that give NAMs away like crazy or do sea going commands do it as well?

It's like a curve. In places where everybody is doing serious war stuff, it takes an outrageous amount of effort to really stand out, where in a place where any doofus that runs a bake sale is America's hero of the day the bar is pretty low. You have to do something special to get an award. What defines special is how special the people you work with are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

Holy poo poo thats loving metal as gently caress.

According to my LPO, it isn't total bullshit that some E-3 getting bluejacket/stopping to check if anyone is hurt at a vehicle accident in a shore command gets a NAM but an E-3 saving a life on a battlefield under fire just gets a pat on the back in some cases.

Is it just hospitals that give NAMs away like crazy or do sea going commands do it as well?

Our junior galley watch captain got a nam for making cookies and managing inventory while the nukes who worked 3x the hours doing emergent repairs got dick. Awards are presented on a major curve and are subject to all kinds of stupid politics.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've got a pic somewhere of me shooting that dual 50. Those things loving own.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've got a pic somewhere of me shooting that dual 50. Those things loving own.

Dual 50 club checkin in, that thing was loving amazing to shoot while we were in the gulf. It's good to be friends with gunner's mates when they have ammo that needs to be used. It feels like the loving thunder of god going off right in front of you :gizz:

Anyone in here shot a Mk. 19? That one's on my list of things I really want to shoot.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 24, 2014

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

orange juche posted:

Are you on the Ford? I got propositioned by the detailer to come there for my next billet, as I still have 24 months left on my contract. I'd be working in N6/ADP/Printer Bitch, but how is the command from your perspective as the most run down motherfucker on the ship?

Honestly this command is probably the best command in the Navy in how they are honestly trying (but things outside of the command's control) to give us a generally good life. I mean, the biggest issue we have is the sheer new things we need that no other ship needs, and how relatively new most of the department is (I'd argue that over 50% of the department is straight out of prototype)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

orange juche posted:

Dual 50 club checkin in, that thing was loving amazing to shoot while we were in the gulf. It's good to be friends with gunner's mates when they have ammo that needs to be used. It feels like the loving thunder of god going off right in front of you :gizz:

Anyone in here shot a Mk. 19? That one's on my list of things I really want to shoot.

Most MK 19 stories end with "And then I somehow launched a shell about 400 yards further than I meant because gently caress those sights and now some Iraqi dude got himself a car port instead of a guest bedroom"

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

orange juche posted:

Hollywood ruined my expectations- you see giant-fireball-explosions and then you get to the range expecting to see that only to find out it's a huge disappointment.

That said, it's kinda cool hearing it "thunk" away. Scary part is if immediate/remedial action is applied and catching a projectile made by the lowest bidder.

TsarAleksi posted:

but it's pretty common to see a first term sailor with 2 or more NAMs prior to tranfer.

I have still to see a NAM from my first term and it wasn't for lack of [actual hard] work.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

germskr posted:

Hollywood ruined my expectations- you see giant-fireball-explosions and then you get to the range expecting to see that only to find out it's a huge disappointment.

That said, it's kinda cool hearing it "thunk" away. Scary part is if immediate/remedial action is applied and catching a projectile made by the lowest bidder.

I have still to see a NAM from my first term and it wasn't for lack of [actual hard] work.

My first NAM was my last.
Got it 7 days into Separation Leave.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Vriess posted:

My first NAM was my last.
Got it 7 days into Separation Leave.

I never got mine. LPO was such a piece of poo poo.

I mean, I never wanted it, but the fact that she left that poo poo sitting makes me SO ANGRY.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Speaking of NAM stories (prototype command BTW), we had one girl get a NAM because there were a bunch of students drunk at a Dennys and she checked on them, told them not to raise hell, and made sure they had a safe way home. NAM.

Buddy of mine was hanging out at a friends house with kids and a pool. Looks down and sees a kid at the bottom of the pool. Dives in, brings the kid out, gives him CPR and the kid starts breathing again. NAM.

Man, what a large scope a NAM has for acceptability.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

itsrobbiej posted:

Speaking of NAM stories (prototype command BTW), we had one girl get a NAM because there were a bunch of students drunk at a Dennys and she checked on them, told them not to raise hell, and made sure they had a safe way home. NAM.

Buddy of mine was hanging out at a friends house with kids and a pool. Looks down and sees a kid at the bottom of the pool. Dives in, brings the kid out, gives him CPR and the kid starts breathing again. NAM.

Man, what a large scope a NAM has for acceptability.

lol yeah saving an infants life isn't worthy of a nam. that poo poo needs a COM.

Homegirl deserves a nam for hitting all the checkpoints for safe alcohol use.

poo poo isn't a bronze star or anything

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 25, 2014

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I am uhh... an idiot

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Saw a bunch of airmen get NAMs for phoning in some Navy ball poo poo, followed by a bunch of EOT LOCs for production supervisors. Same award ceremony. Nothing surprises me, really.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I don't have any NAMs and hah gently caress trying to go out of the way to get one. If a NAM finds me it won't be because I went out looking to get one. Didn't they take away the award points for NAMs on the advancement exam anyways? Or was that the Good Conduct medal?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

orange juche posted:

I don't have any NAMs and hah gently caress trying to go out of the way to get one. If a NAM finds me it won't be because I went out looking to get one. Didn't they take away the award points for NAMs on the advancement exam anyways? Or was that the Good Conduct medal?

It was the GCM

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

It was the GCM

GCM:

"Congrats on exceeding our expectations, you reprehensible proletariat hoi polloi scumbag! Good job showering regularly unlike the rest of the disgusting animenlisted!"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I kind of enjoy end-of-tour awards boards. Not so much slap fighting over who gets a NAM for being a CFL or whatever, but once you get to the bottom of the list and the suggestions come out for the shitbags. Handshake of appreciation? Maybe a Chief LOC? We don't want anything printed on the fancy paper, normal printer paper is fine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Unless I get a point or two towards my advancement idgaf

As someone who has never been NJP'd the whole no points for good cookie is kind of lame but whatever

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The percentage of Sailors getting NJP is way down from the old days, so if almost everyone has good conduct medals, it kind of makes sense to drop it from consideration. Besides, with the way poo poo works nowadays, if you get a NJP in your first term you're pretty much hosed and getting booted out via C-WAY.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I kind of enjoy end-of-tour awards boards. Not so much slap fighting over who gets a NAM for being a CFL or whatever, but once you get to the bottom of the list and the suggestions come out for the shitbags. Handshake of appreciation? Maybe a Chief LOC? We don't want anything printed on the fancy paper, normal printer paper is fine.

EOT FLOC represent.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Commands have a weird sense to what the people within them want. Prime example:

Sets up retarded barracks clean-up when the barracks are already cleaned by broke dicks from base commands.
Regardless of if the patient is wrong, the patient is always right.
Sets up watch in an empty building because "you never know when the cleaning people are going to collapse", has automated fire alarms/boiler gauges/immunizations locker monitor but they must be checked in such a way that the duty driver checks them and not someone that's actually in charge of that equipment and trained on its maintenance.
All clinics mandated to have people answering phones at the same time as central appointment hotline, because you never know when they may transfer the patient to the clinic directly. This would be fine, if some of the clinics on the list weren't referral only clinics and closed off to the dependents that usually are awake at 5 AM to get their narcotics.
Having what appears to be rank favoritism, where an E-3 is held and punished to a higher standard than someone at E-5.

:chiefsay: "But why are you guys hating the Navy so much? Don't worry it's different at other commands!"

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
I think my favorite response to any complaint about command climate was, "There are worse commands to be at. You're lucky not be at one of those." Is that really the right metric to be going by?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

DustyNuts posted:

The percentage of Sailors getting NJP is way down from the old days, so if almost everyone has good conduct medals, it kind of makes sense to drop it from consideration. Besides, with the way poo poo works nowadays, if you get a NJP in your first term you're pretty much hosed and getting booted out via C-WAY.

Yeah. Concern is that with perform to serve, etc. giving a guy NJP is a death sentence. It used to be a fairly effective way to just correct someone that was a little messed up but had potential.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

Commands have a weird sense to what the people within them want. Prime example:

Sets up retarded barracks clean-up when the barracks are already cleaned by broke dicks from base commands.
Regardless of if the patient is wrong, the patient is always right.
Sets up watch in an empty building because "you never know when the cleaning people are going to collapse", has automated fire alarms/boiler gauges/immunizations locker monitor but they must be checked in such a way that the duty driver checks them and not someone that's actually in charge of that equipment and trained on its maintenance.
All clinics mandated to have people answering phones at the same time as central appointment hotline, because you never know when they may transfer the patient to the clinic directly. This would be fine, if some of the clinics on the list weren't referral only clinics and closed off to the dependents that usually are awake at 5 AM to get their narcotics.
Having what appears to be rank favoritism, where an E-3 is held and punished to a higher standard than someone at E-5.

:chiefsay: "But why are you guys hating the Navy so much? Don't worry it's different at other commands!"

I got my master chief to admit that the only reason we still had watch sections is that the chief's mess felt like sailors should stand duty. We sat at a desk and transferred people to a nursing advice line or the ER depending on what was wrong (which could be easily and more efficiently handled with a phone tree), did an hourly wander around the building (which was also externally patrolled by USMC base security and contract base police, whatever they were called) and recorded numbers off a bunch of gauges (all of which were automatically recorded by a computer system that would call the contract maintenance people if they were outside of the normal values). Three people at a time, 4 hour watches (plus two hour long duty musters and overnight on-call) every six days. Obviously, this is an absurdly easy duty, but still. The whole point of the duty section existing was to have people be on a duty section. Boggles the mind how anybody ever reenlists.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah. Concern is that with perform to serve, etc. giving a guy NJP is a death sentence. It used to be a fairly effective way to just correct someone that was a little messed up but had potential.

To be fair, an NJP is the kiss of death for your career pretty much. You may have good evals, 2 pins etc and be a supervisor over a bunch of people, but if you get an NJP, then your spot will go to the guy who does the same thing as you, without the NJP.

The chiefs usually try to handle the minor fuckups at DRB, if it's a decent CPO mess. The return gently caress ups after having a DRB cut them slack and recommend dismissal of charges have earned the NJP.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 27, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

orange juche posted:

To be fair, an NJP is the kiss of death for your career pretty much. You may have good evals, 2 pins etc and be a supervisor over a bunch of people, but if you get an NJP, then your spot will go to the guy who does the same thing as you, without the NJP.

The chiefs usually try to handle the minor fuckups at DRB, if it's a decent CPO mess. The return gently caress ups after having a DRB cut them slack and recommend dismissal of charges have earned the NJP.

yeah, that was my point. NJP numbers are down because conventional wisdom says, if you want them to have any prayer of staying in, you can't give them an NJP.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
kill all YN2s

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Counterpoint: NCCs put in charge of YN2s should be first against the wall.

How is the rate supposed to manage all the other rates' careers objectively the worst in the entire Navy?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Octopode posted:

How is the rate supposed to manage all the other rates' careers objectively the worst in the entire Navy?

Because their oversight is managed by another NC and nobody else. Our last two sucked, and a lot of people got hosed over. Our current one currently translates all requests to Tagalog and the replies back to English which probably explains why our most qualified personnel didn't get their extension requests in on time. Also, this NC managed to take English literally when she plugged her phone in to the back USB port on the SIPR computer and when asked why she plugged in a PED to a computer that had a sticker on the front saying "Do not plug PEDs into USB ports" only applied to the front. Nevermind the fact that there was a PED in the SIPR room to begin with. Go Navy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Idk my NCC is pretty decent, she put in my c-way approximately 30 minutes after I dropped the evals on her desk. That's pretty much the fastest turnaround time I have ever seen for anything in the navy, so maybe she doesn't go up against the wall.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

If your NCC had the correct BOL access she wouldn't have needed copies of your evals. I submit C-WAY without any input from the Sailor except a signature on 1 sheet of paper. Boom.

If the NCC wasn't prior Admin, they have no business running an Admin office. Too many NCs don't even know how to properly format a basic letter.

Our community is consistently undermanned at E-6, which pressures us to admit people that may not really be good at the job. Hopefully these people will get fired and reverted back to their old job after their first 6 months - there are a few per year that do. That, and it attracts people that want to convert for the wrong reasons (100% advancement to NC1). We have a new NC school curriculum and there's actually student attrition this time around, which is an amazingly good thing.

Sorry if you have/had a lovely Career Counselor. If you need something and don't trust your CCC, just ask here and I'll try to get you an answer.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

If your NCC had the correct BOL access she wouldn't have needed copies of your evals. I submit C-WAY without any input from the Sailor except a signature on 1 sheet of paper. Boom.

If the NCC wasn't prior Admin, they have no business running an Admin office. Too many NCs don't even know how to properly format a basic letter.

Our community is consistently undermanned at E-6, which pressures us to admit people that may not really be good at the job. Hopefully these people will get fired and reverted back to their old job after their first 6 months - there are a few per year that do. That, and it attracts people that want to convert for the wrong reasons (100% advancement to NC1). We have a new NC school curriculum and there's actually student attrition this time around, which is an amazingly good thing.

Sorry if you have/had a lovely Career Counselor. If you need something and don't trust your CCC, just ask here and I'll try to get you an answer.

Let me tell you about my NC1 that is actually a Tomahawk tech.

Also I'm going to second what DustyNuts said about him helping you out. He was super helpful when I was transferring my GI Bill benefits to dependents when my admin office told me to basically get hosed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wait hold on there's career counselors that actually hold the rating?! Where do these exist?

I love how Dusty is our resident Navy admin dude that solves poo poo in one post that we spend months arguing with our chain of command back and forth about and getting all kinds of wrong answers from everyone.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DustyNuts posted:

Counterpoint, my CCC is technically at a different command, I am under a separate UIC from about 85% of the people I work with because I am a detachment from Misawa. The billet is permanently allocated to where I am, but as a detachment, admin has to jump through a lot of poo poo to get me hooked up right.

There should be a CCC for my det, but there isn't, so the NCC for the other command is the best I've got as far as that goes. She does a pretty decent job, as she actually cares about helping people.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 28, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
It never ceases to amuse me that the Navy made enlisted careers so difficult too understand and manage that they had to create a rating and pay actual sailors to help.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

orange juche posted:

The billet is permanently allocated to where I am, but as a detachment, admin has to jump through a lot of poo poo to get me hooked up right.

There should be a CCC for my det, but there isn't, so the NCC for the other command is the best I've got as far as that goes. She does a pretty decent job, as she actually cares about helping people.

This also baffles me. You're "from" Misawa, but not stationed there, permanently. WHY THE gently caress?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Lol, apparently all my friends that get BAH at their other commands say that barracks manning is never anywhere near the percentage for manning, the commands are actively looking for people to get out of the barracks just to not have to deal with barracks room failures so it's not loving over their weekends reinspecting. Meanwhile, my chit is sitting in a folder in the admin office where an RP2 is running things over the YNAN waiting to up 1% to meet the 95% manning. There's a bunch of chits behind mine, but it's the next one up to go to the CMCs desk and even though the CMC has signed off on 2 others, they haven't gone to the base CO in god knows how long.

Doesn't surprise me that you guys have NCs that have no business handling important paperwork, hell the Navy's drug counselors are primarily from non-medical ratings and last I heard they were trying to make it an NEC for NCs. I guess having people that get the NEC and then booting them out because they can't compete with other people when the C-Way or whatever the hell it is comes up/don't make Chief because they aren't working in their rating any more.

Also Poopkitty lol, you can get stationed in Gitmo but if you go there from another command you're considered "deployed" hahahaha.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

Also Poopkitty lol, you can get stationed in Gitmo but if you go there from another command you're considered "deployed" hahahaha.

JAG was giving IA deployment credit to people working out of DC. *eyeroll* Actual e-mail sent to another JAG "Congratulations on answering your nation's call and volunteering for this very dangerous billet. Would you be interested in subletting my condo while I am in Iraq? Please respond soonest, and God Speed."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pandasmores posted:

Lol, apparently all my friends that get BAH at their other commands say that barracks manning is never anywhere near the percentage for manning, the commands are actively looking for people to get out of the barracks just to not have to deal with barracks room failures so it's not loving over their weekends reinspecting. Meanwhile, my chit is sitting in a folder in the admin office where an RP2 is running things over the YNAN waiting to up 1% to meet the 95% manning. There's a bunch of chits behind mine, but it's the next one up to go to the CMCs desk and even though the CMC has signed off on 2 others, they haven't gone to the base CO in god knows how long.

Doesn't surprise me that you guys have NCs that have no business handling important paperwork, hell the Navy's drug counselors are primarily from non-medical ratings and last I heard they were trying to make it an NEC for NCs. I guess having people that get the NEC and then booting them out because they can't compete with other people when the C-Way or whatever the hell it is comes up/don't make Chief because they aren't working in their rating any more.

Honest question. Why are their drug counselors if it's a zero tolerance Navy? Do they only help with legal drug misuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poopkitty posted:

This also baffles me. You're "from" Misawa, but not stationed there, permanently. WHY THE gently caress?

Now you know how I feel.

• Locked thread