Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MancXVI posted:

Possible solution: reenlist on a Saturday at a bar off base

e: if you pound shots between discharge and signing, does your inebriation legally invalidate your new contract?

I think it's likely that this was once employed as a retention method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MancXVI posted:

Possible solution: reenlist on a Saturday at a bar off base

e: if you pound shots between discharge and signing, does your inebriation legally invalidate your new contract?

Nah that wouldn't ever actually hold up. Basically these are all just fanciful dreams. 99.99% of the time loving around with a re-enlistment is just going to cause you a great deal of grief and pain.

The best solution is to just GTFO. Don't be a dick and waste people's time.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I dunno, I would still love to see a Change of Command benediction and prayer done by an Imam Chaplain. Don't even list him as being Islamic at all, make it a surprise. Invite the Roman Catholic one as a guest to really fool it. Arrange things so all the chairs are already facing Mecca.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Or have your change of command at the arlington national cemetary. Talk about a loving downer.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Gunktacular posted:

I really wanted to see this happen at least once, sadly I've never heard of it really happening. (Rumors maybe, but not a verifiable account.)

I personally witnessed it happening on my first ship while we were underway in the middle of 5th Fleet. A dirtbag of a YN3 was up for reenlistment. He asked the XO to be his reenlisting officer, despite a well known personal hatred of the XO, had the CS's prepare a big, fancy re-enlistment cake, the whole works.

We were all down on the messdecks to watch the re-enlistment, go through the whole setup and spiel. Kid gets discharged, and makes a short speech about how he never thought he'd re-enlist, he had all these plans for his future, etc. And then ends it all up with "So you know what? I'm not gonna do it." The XO just sat there, dumbfounded, and asked him if he was serious. Kid answered in the affirmative, and you can see the XO's face twist up with rage. He grabs the uncut cake, storms out, and somehow manages to swing a Desert Chicken around to the ship within the hour, despite having no flight ops scheduled that day, and the kid is never seen on the ship again.

We had lots of cake for dessert at dinner in the wardroom that night.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Octopode posted:

I personally witnessed it happening on my first ship while we were underway in the middle of 5th Fleet. A dirtbag of a YN3 was up for reenlistment. He asked the XO to be his reenlisting officer, despite a well known personal hatred of the XO, had the CS's prepare a big, fancy re-enlistment cake, the whole works.

We were all down on the messdecks to watch the re-enlistment, go through the whole setup and spiel. Kid gets discharged, and makes a short speech about how he never thought he'd re-enlist, he had all these plans for his future, etc. And then ends it all up with "So you know what? I'm not gonna do it." The XO just sat there, dumbfounded, and asked him if he was serious. Kid answered in the affirmative, and you can see the XO's face twist up with rage. He grabs the uncut cake, storms out, and somehow manages to swing a Desert Chicken around to the ship within the hour, despite having no flight ops scheduled that day, and the kid is never seen on the ship again.

We had lots of cake for dessert at dinner in the wardroom that night.

Yesssssssssssssssss. This is what I needed this morning.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
That's really funny, I always thought that that was an urban legend. You would think that they'd have worked out the loopholes in re-enlistments by now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SpaceJustice posted:

That's really funny, I always thought that that was an urban legend. You would think that they'd have worked out the loopholes in re-enlistments by now.

It likely was at the end of his active contract. I doubt they would let it fly anytime before that.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Schlabbalabba posted:

I'm most likely staying in, but I shouldn't receive the backlash because I am only considering moving on with my life.

You get what you deserve when you reenlist. You reup this time and get hosed later its your own fault you filthy whore.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You get what you deserve when you reenlist. You reup this time and get hosed later its your own fault you filthy whore.

Yeah, I'm aware of the consequences of staying in, but quite frankly I didn't have the time due to the heavy optempo to do school to obtain a job I want. If I wasn't married I would go be poor and happy by my drat self, but I cannot.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Schlabbalabba posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of the consequences of staying in, but quite frankly I didn't have the time due to the heavy optempo to do school to obtain a job I want. If I wasn't married I would go be poor and happy by my drat self, but I cannot.

You can get out and use your GI Bill to go to school and receive E-5 (I think) BAH.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Schlabbalabba posted:

If you do a technical job in the navy, and aren't too picky about where you live, start talking to some employment recruiters.

I forget who I used, maybe Orion International? They got me set up in my current gig, I got out making more or less the same money without having to work weekends and overtime if/when I want it.

You might have to wade through some crap, but it would be worth your time to take a look.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Schlabbalabba posted:

Save money now or trade a car in or sell the house. This is your second bid right? If you don't have any equity to take a loan against to get a job while you are out then the Navy might be what you want. You won't have time to find work unless you're on shore duty but by the end of your third contract you might as well stay the course. How much terminal leave do you have saved up?

Edit: lol I have no responsibilities so these all seem like good ideas for me, but living on a submarine loving sucks and while you're doing that you hardly do either

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 3, 2014

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Save money now or trade a car in or sell the house. This is your second bid right? If you don't have any equity to take a loan against to get a job while you are out then the Navy might be what you want. You won't have time to find work unless you're on shore duty but by the end of your third contract you might as well stay the course. How much terminal leave do you have saved up?

Edit: lol I have no responsibilities so these all seem like good ideas for me, but living on a submarine loving sucks and while you're doing that you hardly do either

On the other hand, if he stays in, then we can continue having actual Navy Threads, since 80+% of us are out.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I have decided to name my waterpipe Bong Paul Jones.

on the command fall out and carry out the plan of the day Have a fine navy day gents fall out

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I have at least 6 years to go, so I may be the only one left by then.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Goonspeed good Dustynuts

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DustyNuts posted:

There's always new people who don't listen to reason (or want the GI Bill) and those that go reserves. I plan to finish out my time in the reserves so, I've got a good decade to go.

2020: You'll be free and making bank on two paychecks.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

Don't worry, I'll probably do a really dumb thing and reenlist.

Someone help me.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Don't worry, I'll probably do a really dumb thing and reenlist.

Someone help me.

I've tried, you are hopeless.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Ugh, another day in hell. I think my biggest problem is that I have this expectation that at the next juncture in my career it will be better for whatever reason and it just isn't....

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Schlabbalabba posted:

Ugh, another day in hell. I think my biggest problem is that I have this expectation that at the next juncture in my career it will be better for whatever reason and it just isn't....

There's a good chance it will be worse, judging by the direction the Navy's been heading in.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I told people I would have to get stupid orders to stay in the navy.

Now I am going to the WHCA and have to reenlist at least another three years to do it. :shepface:

e: I'm hoping that if I do well there I would be able to pick up some excellent contracting gig or something of the sort that will pay lots and lots of money. I have no idea if this will pan out or not.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 4, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Commoners posted:

I told people I would have to get stupid orders to stay in the navy.

Now I am going to the WHCA and have to reenlist at least another three years to do it. :shepface:

e: I'm hoping that if I do well there I would be able to pick up some excellent contracting gig or something of the sort that will pay lots and lots of money. I have no idea if this will pan out or not.

White House Communications Agency?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
That's actually a boss gig if it's what I think it is. You fly out to locations ahead of the pres and set poo poo up and have a mini vacation then tear it down when he leaves? I'd have stayed in for that

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
One of my old buddies did Presidential duty, he said it was sick. You get a framed picture of yourself with the president and poo poo, which is pretty cool. And if you stay in after that, you get to wear the big gaudy Presidential Service cookie forever

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
One of the restricted kids I have to watch tonight is literally there because he smells awful.

He went to mast because of stench. This gentlemen is a quality individual.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

One of the restricted kids I have to watch tonight is literally there because he smells awful.

Guy on my boat was on shower watch. In the time that is normally taken by cleanup (bitch work) there was a human being tasked with watching another human being shower with the door open to verify things like the usage of soap and water. This was the one dude on the entire boat that was allowed to take full showers. When your poo poo is such an issue that it could potentially cripple operations, maybe you shouldn't be alive

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I have personally physically removed a person from her rack and made her shower. That didn't work, so I was forced to watch. There is NOTHING on earth like having to explain to another human being that "yes, you need to put soap on that and rub it." Same chick was saving used hygiene items. Inside her rack.

Then there was the girl who kept bug carcasses in her rack. Girls are WAYYYYYYyyyyy grosser than boys.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

poopkitty posted:

I have personally physically removed a person from her rack and made her shower. That didn't work, so I was forced to watch. There is NOTHING on earth like having to explain to another human being that "yes, you need to put soap on that and rub it." Same chick was saving used hygiene items. Inside her rack.

Then there was the girl who kept bug carcasses in her rack. Girls are WAYYYYYYyyyyy grosser than boys.

Agreed. In high school I worked at Wal-Mart for a while. The women's bathroom was consistently more disgusting than the men's. On deployments I've done I've had females making GBS threads in their showers and other assorted nasty stuff. Why is it like that poopkitty?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vulturesrow posted:

Agreed. In high school I worked at Wal-Mart for a while. The women's bathroom was consistently more disgusting than the men's. On deployments I've done I've had females making GBS threads in their showers and other assorted nasty stuff. Why is it like that poopkitty?

I wish I knew. I really, really do. I'm a middle class white girl from Massachusetts with lots of opportunities who joined to stick it to my parents when being a girl in Combat Systems was all fresh and new and bonus-y. I had NO loving IDEA how many young ladies there were in the world with hosed up home lives and cracked out moms and creepy drunk stepdads and just brokenness. It's SO bad.

Last deployment, I was sitting SUWC, minding my business on a Sunday morning when CMC (male) came in and took my headset. He was relieving me so I could "go handle berthing." There was a loving brawl down there because there was a log on the shower and a used pad stuck to the wall. I mean, they were FIGHTING. SMDH. I just can't do it anymore. So many girls who didn't have a good life, it's heartbreaking.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
dudes fight over all kinds of dumb poo poo too though. we just tend to draw the line at smearing blood and poo poo on things. tend to.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Somebody smeared poo poo in one of the bathrooms in power school while I was there. Our chief told us that they would use DNA testing to find out who did it. :laugh:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mad Dragon posted:

Somebody smeared poo poo in one of the bathrooms in power school while I was there. Our chief told us that they would use DNA testing to find out who did it. :laugh:

I imagine you would find a lot of someone else's DNA in a nuke's poop if you know what I mean.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Guy on my boat was on shower watch. In the time that is normally taken by cleanup (bitch work) there was a human being tasked with watching another human being shower with the door open to verify things like the usage of soap and water. This was the one dude on the entire boat that was allowed to take full showers. When your poo poo is such an issue that it could potentially cripple operations, maybe you shouldn't be alive

Hes probably laughing somewhere remembering the days he would be forced to shower with another man staring at him, playing dumb and taking his time.

Girls are god drat disgusting, and sometimes the craziest, most manipulative assholes ever. Favorite/funniest moment was a dependent that reaked of BO because the government was loving with her hormones through hygiene products (including pads). Queue her acting up on the ward during a visit from her husband trying to convince her the meds will help, gets restrained by some of the nurses and straight up looks at her husband in the eyes Exorcist style screaming "SEE THEY KNOW HOW TO TIE ME DOWN AND DOMINATE ME!" Hawked the gnarliest loogie I have ever seen across the room at him.

gently caress I miss the ward.

Edit:
Another A/C school story - Kid after boot camp stops doing his laundry, then eventually stops showering. His BO gets so bad they send him to DRB. Hes ordered to shower and get a haircut with shampoo and all. He goes to his room and tries to shave off his 5 inches of hair all around with just a Gillette razor. Scars his head, bled all over everything in his room.

Hygiene is one of the things to go in crazy people. Stay safe out there and be nice to the weirdo at least once during chow just to make sure they dont explode on you.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 4, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

Hygiene is one of the things to go in crazy people. Stay safe out there and be nice to the weirdo at least once during chow just to make sure they dont explode on you.

You've got my back Pandasmores, I won't let him skin me alive or anything.

At least the 0200 to 0700 watch they are asleep the entire time.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Where at in Mass?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Schlabbalabba posted:

Where at in Mass?

North Attleboro is where I graduated from. Lived in Hudson until I was 8. Mom and Sister (and lots of Aunties and Uncles n stuff) still live there. I get home about once every 3 years or so.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Laranzu posted:

Do you know what article they charged him with? I feel like that might be useful knowledge at some point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

poopkitty posted:

North Attleboro is where I graduated from. Lived in Hudson until I was 8. Mom and Sister (and lots of Aunties and Uncles n stuff) still live there. I get home about once every 3 years or so.

The whif is from Plymouth....

• Locked thread