Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Dude talking about how much he hates the navy; wants to reenlist

navy.txt

The abusive relationship was already mentioned. So I'll go with the puppy dog that follows no matter what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

Dude talking about how much he hates the navy; wants to reenlist

navy.txt

The abusive relationship was already mentioned. So I'll go with the puppy dog that follows no matter what

Sounds like he's got dependants and bills and doesn't want to potentially gently caress over his family.

Not everyone looking at getting out or staying in is an early twenties dude with no one depending on his paycheck.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

PneumonicBook posted:

Sounds like he's got dependants and bills and doesn't want to potentially gently caress over his family.

Not everyone looking at getting out or staying in is an early twenties dude with no one depending on his paycheck.

This. If it was just me, or even just me and the wife (at least shes edumicated), I would just go be homeless on my bicycle...

There are a few realistic scenarios that let me get out next year, so here is hoping that they come around and work out....

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Schlabbalabba posted:

This. If it was just me, or even just me and the wife (at least shes edumicated), I would just go be homeless on my bicycle...

There are a few realistic scenarios that let me get out next year, so here is hoping that they come around and work out....

Be glad you dont have kids, especially ones that go to the hospital a lot. The fear is real :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

Those ones are my favorites. Because if Jody doesn't steal away his wife while he's deployed and she's still hot he'll just get older, higher rank, and salty and have nothing but resentment for his life choices and have no problem keeping everyone at work until 1900 so he doesn't have to go back to his fat bitchy wife.

Then he's the one saying "what do you mean you're not re-enlisting? You want to flip burgers for the rest of your life?"

But yeah healthcare is a bitch. Reserves makes perfect sense there

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 4, 2014

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

PneumonicBook posted:

Be glad you dont have kids, especially ones that go to the hospital a lot. The fear is real :(

I have a 13 month old.... he's either fearless or stupid. Considering he is my kid, it could be either...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

Those ones are my favorites. Because if Jody doesn't steal away his wife while he's deployed and she's still hot he'll just get older, higher rank, and salty and have nothing but resentment for his life choices and have no problem keeping everyone at work until 1900 so he doesn't have to go back to his fat bitchy wife.

Then he's the one saying "what do you mean you're not re-enlisting? You want to flip burgers for the rest of your life?"

But yeah healthcare is a bitch. Reserves makes perfect sense there

I kind if feel bad for you, it seems like you've had a terrible career, or terrible people at literally every step of the way.

I mean I know we all hate the navy blablabla, but I always assumed a lot of it was hyperbole (unless it's coming from a nuke).

Also reserves healthcare isn't that great compared to prime if you have kids with legitimate issues. Both of my kids were born with club feet and without prime I don't even know how crazy the bills would have been. Fun fact: you can view all of your and your dependents medical history on some navy site I forgot about. It was pretty eye opening.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I've had a pretty bad experience overall and can't wait to get out soon. Green weenie has hosed me almost every step of the way. But now I'm scared moks ghost is going to come call me a boot rear end human being bitch because I never worked 18 hour days 7 days a week as a nuke on a sub

I think you're thinking of the "Med at home," or something like that. Which they only started implementing at my last command and throughout the Navy? (Military?) About 3 years ago. You can make appointments online, view lab results online, etc. I don't know the exact details because we're still trapped in time writing everything on paper here with a 2 hour time slot every morning that you're allotted to go to medical

What about reserve healthcare if you're near an MTF? I assumed it was the same in that instance as if you were AD

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 4, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

What about reserve healthcare if you're near an MTF? I assumed it was the same in that instance as if you were AD

I actually never thought about that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

I actually never thought about that.

What is MTF?

Sorry pre-boot (bootie?) question.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Military Treatment Facility. Hospital, clinic, etc. Obviously some are Military only like the smaller clinics near a flightline etc. But some bases only have a clinic which see active duty and dependents. They usually close at 1600 but the really small hospitals have 24 hour care such as an urgent care or maybe even an ER or will be open on weekends.

But yeah varies pretty drastically from place to place as to what services or specialty care is offered.

GIP hates MTFs and mostly rightfully so but some are actually pretty decent and convenient with great access to care imo

Major Minor
Apr 28, 2010
Hey Navy Goons, we had our Service Assignment yesterday and I found out that I got picked up Pilot. It wasn’t my first choice but I guess there’s not much I can do now aside from learn more about aviation. Is there anyone in the aviation community around here who can help me out?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Major Minor posted:

I got picked up Pilot. It wasn’t my first choice but

lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You are the first person I've ever heard in my loving life be upset that they get to loving fly.

Shucks guys, I just won the megamillions. I mean, powerball was my first choice. Now I gotta figure out how to collect this stuff. :smith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Christoff posted:

Military Treatment Facility. Hospital, clinic, etc. Obviously some are Military only like the smaller clinics near a flightline etc. But some bases only have a clinic which see active duty and dependents. They usually close at 1600 but the really small hospitals have 24 hour care such as an urgent care or maybe even an ER or will be open on weekends.

But yeah varies pretty drastically from place to place as to what services or specialty care is offered.

GIP hates MTFs and mostly rightfully so but some are actually pretty decent and convenient with great access to care imo

Ok cool. Is visiting a MTF while a reservist treated differently than a regular hospital? I don't plan on rely on it but when I get back and start looking for a job it's my health care back up plan for my family while I wait for whatever job I acquire to kick in.

Major Minor
Apr 28, 2010
Haha, fair enough, that came across pretty bad. I've spent the past few years putting together an EOD package, I spent time with the community and fell in love and let my self get pretty single tracked. Made it to the final round of interviews and everything so it hurt to not get picked up but after spending sometime feeling sorry for myself and talking it over I realize that aviation will provide me a lot of great opportunities and I want to make the most of it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Major Minor posted:

Haha, fair enough, that came across pretty bad. I've spent the past few years putting together an EOD package, I spent time with the community and fell in love and let my self get pretty single tracked. Made it to the final round of interviews and everything so it hurt to not get picked up but after spending sometime feeling sorry for myself and talking it over I realize that aviation will provide me a lot of great opportunities and I want to make the most of it.

And by "make the most of" you mean "make the most per diem"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Buddy of mine is an EOD officer. He's taking command of a unit soon. He loving loves it, so if you're a similar type person to him I can see how that would suck.

But instead of possibly blowing yourself up on some IED in a hellhole you now get to watch the earth from the skies and get 8 hours off a night.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

And by "make the most of" you mean "make the most per diem"

Only if he goes P3s.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok cool. Is visiting a MTF while a reservist treated differently than a regular hospital? I don't plan on rely on it but when I get back and start looking for a job it's my health care back up plan for my family while I wait for whatever job I acquire to kick in.

Uhm, don't quote me on any of this. And I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. But I mean MTFs in general vary drastically from place to place. First you have to determine what's near where you will be and what tri-care option is best for you.

Unless you chose Tri-care prime I believe it is and are enrolled in said MTF the only services you can get from one would be emergency. Emergency visits are covered anywhere you go with tri-care though.

It sounds like you're going to elect for the paid tri-care option. Just don't be one of those reservist that doesn't pay for tricare that tries to get some chronic knee pain covered on drill weekend or cold symptoms then gets surprised when you get a bill.

Again, GIP hates MTFs. But they're not all that bad. The access to care where I worked before was pretty drat decent aside from specialty care. See doc, walk across hall get x-ray, go to next window and pick up meds etc.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You also get Ambien thrown at you as a matter of medical opinion in certain circumstances. So.... take the challenge man.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

Major Minor posted:

Hey Navy Goons, we had our Service Assignment yesterday and I found out that I got picked up Pilot. It wasn’t my first choice but I guess there’s not much I can do now aside from learn more about aviation. Is there anyone in the aviation community around here who can help me out?

What do you want to know? I fly MH-60S just finished the training pipeline a couple weeks ago.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Major Minor posted:

Hey Navy Goons, we had our Service Assignment yesterday and I found out that I got picked up Pilot. It wasn’t my first choice but

The gently caress? "but" nothing... There are hundreds of dudes who would suck a line of dicks to be in your shoes right now.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Hey guys I just found out today that the Navy is gonna make me be an astronaut or some poo poo. I mean, my first choice was to go be a nuke and kill myself but it's alright, I guess.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Octopode posted:

Hey guys I just found out today that the Navy is gonna make me be an astronaut or some poo poo. I mean, my first choice was to go be a nuke and kill myself but it's alright, I guess.
Please. The Information Dominance pin is waaaay cooler than the astronaut one. :rolleyes::fh:

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Reposting because gently caress y'all

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Major Minor posted:

Here is some advice:

1. Don't ever make a comment even remotely similar to what you wrote you ever again. For what it's worth, I know a couple guys who have transitioned from Aviation to SEALs or EOD so that is still an option. But you need to put it on the back burner for a while. Get winged and prove to your eventual fleet squadron that you aren't a shithead. I suspect you'll find that you really enjoy flying and you probably won't want to lateral transfer. Also, there are aviation billets now with SEAL units. Not flying jobs of course but you are attached to them as their aviation expert.

2. Study a lot. The more you have the poo poo down you are supposed to know the easier it is to focus on stick and rudder. Also, instructors are much more inclined to help you out when it's obvious you are putting the work in.

3. Don't try to go it alone, the program is a lot easier when you work with your fellow students to prep for events.

4. See #2. Don't worry you'll have plenty of time to light your hair on fire, but you literally have one job when you get to flight school. It will never get any easier. Don't gently caress it away by partying all the time.

Major Minor
Apr 28, 2010
Mr. Nice - Sounds about right. It really is an incredible community with equally incredible people. Although the view from a cockpit sounds better than the view from downtown Ramadi :v:

vulturesrow posted:

Here is some advice:
Absolutely. I talked it over with a classmate of mine who also put in for EOD but was picked up Pilot instead and we reached a similar conclusion. It sucks to be turned away after putting so much work into our packages but now that the blinders have been lifted we realize what an amazing opportunity we’ve been afforded. If the chance ever comes up to try again I suppose it’s a ‘wait and see’ moment because I may find that EOD was the best thing that never happened.

We have about seven people from our school that got picked up Pilot and we’ve already talked about sticking together through the pipeline. It’s definitely a great feeling knowing that I’ll be there with a support network.

Is there any academic prep you would suggest? Math and science is admittedly a weak point for me and the classroom aspect is a little intimidating to me.

Thank you!

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

vulturesrow posted:

Here is some advice:

1. Don't ever make a comment even remotely similar to what you wrote you ever again.

This is something that really really bears repeating. My community is, ahem, a bit less popular than aviation SWO, but even so, there is really nothing worse than the guy who can't shut up about how he almost got picked up for x, y, or z special program and he's about to drop his BUD/s package and blah blah.

Inevitably, those are the same people who suck at the job they are actually doing, and consequently never succeed in actually transferring, because what community wants to take someone who sucks? The only person I know who actually pulled it off (did not select SEALS, then got accepted for lateral) had a great attitude and was a star performer as a SWO first.

This isn't to say this will be you, but it's really key to remember and maybe bite your tounge a bit.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Major Minor posted:

Is there any academic prep you would suggest? Math and science is admittedly a weak point for me and the classroom aspect is a little intimidating to me.

There's not really a lot of actual math or science involved, other than stuff like "add/subtract 180 to this number". You'll learn a fair number of equations, but you generally don't use them to solve anything other than in general terms, i.e., if that variable goes up, what happens to this variable. Ground school (API) is about learning a lot of material quickly and accurately, and regurgitating it in a test. Everything you need to know is clearly spelled out and taught in a very straightforward way. Like vulturesrow said, as long as you put in the work and ask for help when you need to, you should do fine.

If anything, what helps the most beforehand is having a general understanding of stuff that you can fill in with the specifics in API. Look up some youtube documentaries about aircraft design, how jet engines work, meteorology, that kind of thing. That way you're at least familiar with some of the terms when it comes time to learn it. The main subjects you cover in API (straining my memory here) are aerodynamics, engines, weather, navigation, and flight rules and regulations.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

So the directorate (division for those of you on ships?) LPO just dropped off my PTS/C-Way application. Apart from the DLPO freaking out and trying to incite a panic attack into me through "WELL HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR THINGS IF THE NAVY DOESN'T COVER IT ANY MORE HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF THAT?!?!?", there's a bit of the paperwork that kind of confuses me.

In all this, it has my EAOS and my SEAOS. My EAOS is January next year, my Soft EAOS is in January 2016. Does that mean that if I check off "Intend to separate" I'm out in 2015 or am I still going to finish my contract in 2016 because of the 1 year obligation corpsmen sign up for?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pandasmores posted:

So the directorate (division for those of you on ships?) LPO just dropped off my PTS/C-Way application. Apart from the DLPO freaking out and trying to incite a panic attack into me through "WELL HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR THINGS IF THE NAVY DOESN'T COVER IT ANY MORE HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF THAT?!?!?", there's a bit of the paperwork that kind of confuses me.

In all this, it has my EAOS and my SEAOS. My EAOS is January next year, my Soft EAOS is in January 2016. Does that mean that if I check off "Intend to separate" I'm out in 2015 or am I still going to finish my contract in 2016 because of the 1 year obligation corpsmen sign up for?

I believe you would be required to fulfill your contract, so tack on that extra year and hold on to the handlebars until 2016.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Putting "Intend To Separate" is a real rookie move. 1 - Never tell your chain of command you plan to get out, and save yourself a lot of hassle. 2 - if the Navy decides to downsize you out down the road (which is a possibility for an HM considering they're overmanned), then they don't have to pay you severance. Intend to re-enlist, and if your C-Way doesn't get approved, boom, severance pay. If you select "Intend to Separate" even once in C-Way, that's it, no chance of severance pay for you.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Another one: if you seriously hurt yourself and need surgery past your SEAOS, they will only retain you on LIMDU if you are PTS-approved.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Echoing the above. Get your quota, then decide. Never select "intends to separate". You'll be able to return the quota later, when you announce your final decision. Get a seat in T-GPS at the beginning of the New Year, if they ask you why, tell them you have a Plan A and a Plan B, and want to be totally prepared.

Edit: Oh, and if your PRD runs past your SEAOS (more than a month) you can expect them to be way up in your rear end to make a decision much sooner. They have to worry about a relief.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 6, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Yeah, my PRD runs about 3 months past my SEAOS.

Sweeeeet, thanks dudes! I'll go ahead and keep it this way just in case. Printing out the PRIMS and all that is a pain.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
um does anyone here know when the navy cancelled its comptroller manual w/out replacement?

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

MancXVI posted:

Another one: if you seriously hurt yourself and need surgery past your SEAOS, they will only retain you on LIMDU if you are PTS-approved.

What about if you're an Officer who already has separation orders, will they retain you? Everything I've seen says no, but I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

DownByTheWooter posted:

Putting "Intend To Separate" is a real rookie move. 1 - Never tell your chain of command you plan to get out, and save yourself a lot of hassle. 2 - if the Navy decides to downsize you out down the road (which is a possibility for an HM considering they're overmanned), then they don't have to pay you severance. Intend to re-enlist, and if your C-Way doesn't get approved, boom, severance pay. If you select "Intend to Separate" even once in C-Way, that's it, no chance of severance pay for you.

I was PTS-Approved
I had orders to my next duty station
I had done check-out.
I had done everything, except the Re-enlistment paperwork.

Then, 4 months before, I got a job offer. Shredded the re-enlistment and put in for 2 Weeks Leave + TAPS/GPS + 60 days Sep Leave.
That's how you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
I was under the impression that you needed at least 8 years for severance pay.. was I incorrect?

I'm not very familiar with C-Way.. perhaps one of you can fill me in.

Case in point, i'm a GSM2 that's ready to seperate. Mindset is full on college prep, Taps, etc. and I don't really think it's beneficial to me at all to play the "I don't know what i'm doing" role with my COC, when I could pretty much day One say "These are my long term plans, I do not plan to change these"

• Locked thread