Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vriess posted:

I was PTS-Approved
I had orders to my next duty station
I had done check-out.
I had done everything, except the Re-enlistment paperwork.

Then, 4 months before, I got a job offer. Shredded the re-enlistment and put in for 2 Weeks Leave + TAPS/GPS + 60 days Sep Leave.
That's how you do it.

now that is gangster

I ended up getting put on limdu, found unfit by the medboard, and walk out the door the exact same time my EAOS had been anyway, but with a shitload of disability pay in my pocket every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Got some lovely news today. A dude bengy and I were on our ship for five years with killed himself this morning.

I know we all joke about the amount of training we go through for that poo poo, but yea. Keep an eye out on your dudes? Not sure what point I'm trying to make I guess.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

theAcidQueen posted:

I was under the impression that you needed at least 8 years for severance pay.. was I incorrect?

I'm not very familiar with C-Way.. perhaps one of you can fill me in.

Case in point, i'm a GSM2 that's ready to seperate. Mindset is full on college prep, Taps, etc. and I don't really think it's beneficial to me at all to play the "I don't know what i'm doing" role with my COC, when I could pretty much day One say "These are my long term plans, I do not plan to change these"

It's 6 years, and you have to be involuntarily separated/discharged.

The CCC will submit your C-WAY application 13 months prior to EAOS. By telling them that you intend to separate, you will start a chain of events. I'll amend my earlier statement about this stuff.

Some people have lovely commands with lovely chains of command that will actively treat you like a "quitter" if you announce your intention to separate. If you're confident that this won't happen to you (or you don't care), then it really is better to come right out and explain your plans and goals. They'll hate on you even more if you wait until the last minute - they just won't be able to gently caress with you for very long. By 6 months prior to EAOS, you really REALLY should come out and start the separation process. The quality of transition assistance you receive is amplified when you start working on all of it early.

Get PreSep counseling 12 months out, get a T-GPS seat 12-9 months out, attend an optional track (Education, Technical or Entrepreneur) after that, and complete your ITP. Don't blow it off. Use the resources provided to you by the DOL.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So getting out real soon and barely starting to get seen for my issues. Curious what all you guys claimed on your final physical? I don't think I'll have a chance to sit down and file my claims on base before I get out but I'm just going to try to do it with a VA rep while I'm on terminal.

What all did you guys claim, were you ever seen for it on active duty, what'd you get, etc? If you don't mind telling. I'm not trying to milk the system I'm just wondering if you guys are writing down literally every little thing on your final physical? I just have ringing in my left ear and the usual lower back pain. And self diagnosed plantar fasciitis for the last year. Which I'll probably get seen for just in case it's an issue down the line. I just am still a bit confused as to how the whole process works.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Christoff posted:

So getting out real soon and barely starting to get seen for my issues. Curious what all you guys claimed on your final physical? I don't think I'll have a chance to sit down and file my claims on base before I get out but I'm just going to try to do it with a VA rep while I'm on terminal.

What all did you guys claim, were you ever seen for it on active duty, what'd you get, etc? If you don't mind telling. I'm not trying to milk the system I'm just wondering if you guys are writing down literally every little thing on your final physical? I just have ringing in my left ear and the usual lower back pain. And self diagnosed plantar fasciitis for the last year. Which I'll probably get seen for just in case it's an issue down the line. I just am still a bit confused as to how the whole process works.

Make sure that everything is in writing. The things the VA will look for are in your medical record under "Chronic problems". Those are the ones that matter. Make sure that you make multiple copies of your medical, dental, and service (personnel) record. Just remember that if you have a legitimate issue, that you go to medical for it, and that it gets put in your record. At the end of the day, whether or not you serve 4 or 20+ years, the medical condition you have will be with you for life. The Navy isn't for life.

Also, if you want your payments to arrive as soon as possible, ensure that the type of claim that you file is as complete as possible and is a pre-discharge claim, this can be as late as 1 day before your actual EAOS date, although I recommend doing it before then. There are veteran organizations that will help you out with this, such as Disabled American Veterans (DAV), Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), and there's a third that I can't think of right now (American Legion?).

Edit: Go to your local MTF, or hospital that has your records and request your electronic record. They'll ask for your e-mail and you'll get a link with a password to download your whole electronic medical record that comes from ALTA. That's important to keep in addition to the paper record that you have.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I already got all my electronic poo poo printed off.

For tinnitus am I alright just putting it on my final physical or do I need an actual visit for it?

Since I still have to go to medical for some stuff I'll probably do the disability poo poo on terminal at the VA with a rep. Because I heard the place on base is an absolute pain and a huge line out the door by 6 am.

Unfortunately at my clinic specifically everything is paper charted. Hope that doesn't make issues with writing illegibility etc.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Can I get disability for carpal tunnel and back problems from sitting in a chair all day? (seriously)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

Can I get disability for carpal tunnel and back problems from sitting in a chair all day? (seriously)

If you document it, yes. But, I am sure you realized the same problem everyone else has that to get it documented you have to go to medical, being an IDC person you'll know that takes away time from production and waste your own time as the Corpsmen will invariably lose your documentation.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Nick Soapdish posted:

being an IDC person and

does not compute

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Really need to get in a couple more visits for hernia repair pain, the other hernia I only got checked out once and the plantar fasciitis. The wrist pain should be nicely documented.

They sure as hell are chronic, but that record might not show it. Is chronic a checkbox the MTF checks or something the va rep decides?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Hey, I'm very productive! All week I get to play around in metasploit on a pretend network for a dog and pony show exercise in Las Vegas!

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Christoff posted:

For tinnitus am I alright just putting it on my final physical or do I need an actual visit for it?

I would make sure to go to medical and have an audiogram done so that any conditions that you have are documented within that session.

Laranzu posted:

Is chronic a checkbox the MTF checks or something the va rep decides?

When you get your electronic record, near the beginning of the record there will be two sections, one that says Chronic conditions and the other says Acute conditions. Acute conditions, as far as the VA is concerned, will usually not go into your VA disability rating (it may depend on the condition, but by definition acute is transient). Chronic conditions are the ones they care about because those are the ones that will continue to be with you for a longer period of time, perhaps the rest of your life. To my knowledge, chronic conditions are determined by your primary health care provider, which is hopefully someone with a MD.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

Hey, I'm very productive! All week I get to play around in metasploit on a pretend network for a dog and pony show exercise in Las Vegas!

I'm sure all that REDACTED you do is very important.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Got some lovely news today. A dude bengy and I were on our ship for five years with killed himself this morning.

I know we all joke about the amount of training we go through for that poo poo, but yea. Keep an eye out on your dudes? Not sure what point I'm trying to make I guess.

Sorry for your loss PneumonicBook.

The best thing you could possibly ever do for a friend that's in a situation where you can't verify how safe they are is to hang around, whether on the phone if they just called you or arrange to meet in person and s how that at least you're able to lend an ear or something. It can be difficult with the way our jobs are, the whole "mission first" then everything else follows, but there's also a possibility in reporting someone through 911 or your Chiefs to ensure their safety. They may hate you for the moment, it's far better for them to hate you for a few nights and then thanking you for saving them from themselves than not doing anything and never hearing from them again. Show you care, and walk them to a place where they can vent/talk to a professional, even help plan out a time when you'll both be able to go. There have been a few times where some of the corpsmen, and even the squadron dudes that know me, just stop me in the hall, knock on my door, or shoot me a text asking for some help. An ear and a helping hand are easy to give, with you listening/getting them to where they need to be, and nothing is more powerful than helping someone. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Laranzu posted:

How much Motrin are the HMs being directed to give out for Ebola infections?

one. that's all you need. for anything. As for more and you will get screened by DAPA as a drug seeker.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Ideal Paradigm posted:

I would make sure to go to medical and have an audiogram done so that any conditions that you have are documented within that session.

When you get your electronic record, near the beginning of the record there will be two sections, one that says Chronic conditions and the other says Acute conditions. Acute conditions, as far as the VA is concerned, will usually not go into your VA disability rating (it may depend on the condition, but by definition acute is transient). Chronic conditions are the ones they care about because those are the ones that will continue to be with you for a longer period of time, perhaps the rest of your life. To my knowledge, chronic conditions are determined by your primary health care provider, which is hopefully someone with a MD.

I just put everything down and then let the VA docs decide what to do with it. You'll have an audiogram regardless, but tinnitis won't show up on that most likely. It's really a self-reporting thing. If you have it, claim it...if you don't, don't be a dick.

Also, if you have hearing loss another thing to consider is audio processing disorder. A lot of people swear up and down they can't hear, but the audiogram comes back normal. If you were exposed to any kind of explosions, you might have audio processing disorder, which technically isn't hearing loss, it's brain damage, which is why it won't show up on the audiogram, but they can set you up with a neurologist to diagnose it properly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I have a fairly recent audiogram. In the hearing conservation program because of where I work so we do them annually. My hearing is fine (I actually wore ear pro unlike most now deaf Marines I work with) and no combat but yeah lots of explosions, tons of flying, 7 ton rides (loud as gently caress), shooting etc. I legit have ringing in my left ear. It's not terrible but it's there. I'll just put it on my final physical.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hi. Christoff I hope my PM helped you. Let me know.

Also: loving get everything documented and yes that chronic section is crucial. If it nags you, get seen for it MORE THAN ONCE for the love of god. otherwise YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Also also: If you have tinnitus, when you separate you'll see a separate 3rd party doctor that will evaluate you. I claimed this as well, and when I got evaluated by an audiologist (the dude was deaf and had a cochlear implant so you can imagine he doesn't gently caress around), he even said "yep, you have it" so that was added to the list, too. Didn't matter one bit that I was in the hearing conservation program, so don't let someone tell you that if you're in HCP you are automatically denied hearing loss claims.

Also also also: still out. Still loving it. Keep on keepin on, guys, and never not get out.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Feedback on this please:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670878

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I'd participate. Would probably send a legit gift (not big black dildo or w/e)...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'd be down (to send someone some anal beads or something)

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I'd participate. Chrimbus gifts for all!

SSOQ board today. I was asked what the honors procedure was when passing George Washington's tomb on the Potomac aboard a ship. I bullshitted my way through the answer and apparently got it mostly correct.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

DustyNuts posted:

I'd participate. Chrimbus gifts for all!

SSOQ board today. I was asked what the honors procedure was when passing George Washington's tomb on the Potomac aboard a ship. I bullshitted my way through the answer and apparently got it mostly correct.

So what is it?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

SSOQ board today. I was asked what the honors procedure was when passing George Washington's tomb on the Potomac aboard a ship.

Yep, super important for our SSOQ to know. :confused:

I always thought stump the chump questions like that were ridiculous, doesn't matter if it's a warfare qualification board, mts, sailor/instructor of the quarter, or whatever. Just dumb.

Hope you end up winning though DustyNuts, if you help people at your command 1/10th as much as you help people on the boards here then you're the best sailor in admin in the fleet.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I got asked what the designation was for a hot LZ (landing zone) for a helo during Vietnam on my SWO board.
was a lookup, I had no idea...and guess what? I don't remember what it was. That's how important it was.

I never ask people lame-rear end "stump the chump" questions like that on boards. I ask abstract poo poo that requires you to actually use your brain because I want to see how a person thinks/reasons their way through a problem (especially with incomplete information), not whether or not you can regurgitate useless loving Jeopardy trivia.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

I got asked what the designation was for a hot LZ (landing zone) for a helo during Vietnam on my SWO board.
was a lookup, I had no idea...and guess what? I don't remember what it was. That's how important it was.

I never ask people lame-rear end "stump the chump" questions like that on boards. I ask abstract poo poo that requires you to actually use your brain because I want to see how a person thinks/reasons their way through a problem (especially with incomplete information), not whether or not you can regurgitate useless loving Jeopardy trivia.

They asked me about official Navy dining etiquette. I just gave a long blank stare.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The senior chief overseeing my board kept asking these off the wall questions at the end of every section loosely related to the topic at hand and would get frustrated if you didn't know. Like his own personal trivia. "Well this isn't in the book or required material for you to know buttttt"

The gently caress?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

buttplug posted:

Sub boards were alot of fun for this reason alone. Listening to coners try to reason out how different systems interconnected was, sadly, hilarious. Only got to sit one though :)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The only good "trivia" question on our boards was "how many steam fire pumps does the ship have?"
The ship was built with four of them. They were replaced with electric pumps in like 1990. If you answer anything but zero, it means you never actually went down to the engineering spaces to look at the equipment and got all your stuff from the old gouge books.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

The only good "trivia" question on our boards was "how many steam fire pumps does the ship have?"
The ship was built with four of them. They were replaced with electric pumps in like 1990. If you answer anything but zero, it means you never actually went down to the engineering spaces to look at the equipment and got all your stuff from the old gouge books.

We had 4 on my ship, luckily they did not ask me which ones because I had no loving clue which ones they were. I can't even remember how many fire pumps total we had, I just remember that the steam ones would keep working even if the ship lost power.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My SWO board went pretty well. By the time we got around to the last two people asking questions they were asking me poo poo about Top Gun. I've never seen it. They shamed me for it but pinned me regardless.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

It took me a second to realize you meant steam-driven pumps. Asking a nub how to put out a steam fire would be pretty hilarious, though.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PneumonicBook posted:

Yep, super important for our SSOQ to know. :confused:

I always thought stump the chump questions like that were ridiculous, doesn't matter if it's a warfare qualification board, mts, sailor/instructor of the quarter, or whatever. Just dumb.

Hope you end up winning though DustyNuts, if you help people at your command 1/10th as much as you help people on the boards here then you're the best sailor in admin in the fleet.

Aww thanks!

OK so check it, when sailing past G-Wash's tomb, it goes something like this:

render honors
dip that ensign
erryone salutes
play taps
raise the ensign
play national anthem
carry on

:911:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I did a board for idw. if I never do a board again I will be happy. I dont know what it is, but I really don't give a poo poo about navy awards.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My CO was interested in physics questions. Lots and lots of physics. I also apparently earned my pin about a third of the way through the board when I supposedly gave the best answer for how AEGIS works and integrates into the fleet that our CO had ever heard.

In other news, just found out that my old XO, a guy I had proclaimed that I would eventually see on the Navy Times, is in fact, going to probably headline the next edition. gently caress that guy.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've never seen it. [Top Gun]

goddamn you are the worst, dude

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Boon posted:

My CO was interested in physics questions. Lots and lots of physics. I also apparently earned my pin about a third of the way through the board when I supposedly gave the best answer for how AEGIS works and integrates into the fleet that our CO had ever heard.

In other news, just found out that my old XO, a guy I had proclaimed that I would eventually see on the Navy Times, is in fact, going to probably headline the next edition. gently caress that guy.

What'd he'd do?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Is it this guy?
Frigate CO fired after allegedly groping chief's wife

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

What was your answer if you remember it? As an Aegis FC who gave plenty of SWO combat walkthroughs I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

My husband kept getting asked random stump the chump questions about obscure Russian ships. Joke backfired because his dad was a retired chief who had a book of obscure russian ships and he would read it periodically when he had nothing better to do as a kid.

• Locked thread