Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I have at least 6 years to go, so I may be the only one left by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Echoing the above. Get your quota, then decide. Never select "intends to separate". You'll be able to return the quota later, when you announce your final decision. Get a seat in T-GPS at the beginning of the New Year, if they ask you why, tell them you have a Plan A and a Plan B, and want to be totally prepared.

Edit: Oh, and if your PRD runs past your SEAOS (more than a month) you can expect them to be way up in your rear end to make a decision much sooner. They have to worry about a relief.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 6, 2014

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

theAcidQueen posted:

I was under the impression that you needed at least 8 years for severance pay.. was I incorrect?

I'm not very familiar with C-Way.. perhaps one of you can fill me in.

Case in point, i'm a GSM2 that's ready to seperate. Mindset is full on college prep, Taps, etc. and I don't really think it's beneficial to me at all to play the "I don't know what i'm doing" role with my COC, when I could pretty much day One say "These are my long term plans, I do not plan to change these"

It's 6 years, and you have to be involuntarily separated/discharged.

The CCC will submit your C-WAY application 13 months prior to EAOS. By telling them that you intend to separate, you will start a chain of events. I'll amend my earlier statement about this stuff.

Some people have lovely commands with lovely chains of command that will actively treat you like a "quitter" if you announce your intention to separate. If you're confident that this won't happen to you (or you don't care), then it really is better to come right out and explain your plans and goals. They'll hate on you even more if you wait until the last minute - they just won't be able to gently caress with you for very long. By 6 months prior to EAOS, you really REALLY should come out and start the separation process. The quality of transition assistance you receive is amplified when you start working on all of it early.

Get PreSep counseling 12 months out, get a T-GPS seat 12-9 months out, attend an optional track (Education, Technical or Entrepreneur) after that, and complete your ITP. Don't blow it off. Use the resources provided to you by the DOL.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I'd participate. Chrimbus gifts for all!

SSOQ board today. I was asked what the honors procedure was when passing George Washington's tomb on the Potomac aboard a ship. I bullshitted my way through the answer and apparently got it mostly correct.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PneumonicBook posted:

Yep, super important for our SSOQ to know. :confused:

I always thought stump the chump questions like that were ridiculous, doesn't matter if it's a warfare qualification board, mts, sailor/instructor of the quarter, or whatever. Just dumb.

Hope you end up winning though DustyNuts, if you help people at your command 1/10th as much as you help people on the boards here then you're the best sailor in admin in the fleet.

Aww thanks!

OK so check it, when sailing past G-Wash's tomb, it goes something like this:

render honors
dip that ensign
erryone salutes
play taps
raise the ensign
play national anthem
carry on

:911:

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Doctor Sex Butts posted:

If you refuse to obliserv, do they generally cancel your orders and stick you somewhere else instead? I got my new orders a few months ago and my admin told me I had 10 days to decide and return the paperwork. Due to several factors (not caring, going away to TAD and forgetting about it, wanting more time to decide, etc) I have yet to turn in these obliserve papers and I'm about 2.5 months away from PRD. If I tell them to gently caress off, what are the chances orders get cancelled?

As orange juche said, if you don't OBLISERV, you don't transfer. They'll cancel your orders, and it's likely they'll just extend you in place until your EAOS, rather than expend funds to move you somewhere else. If you aren't a career guy (and you're heading to shore duty), best option is to reenlist for the minimum amount of time to meet the OBLISERV, transfer, then focus on school or whatever the gently caress you're doing. Oh, or just tell them you want to separate and start the transition process immediately. That'll go over well I'm sure, but whatever.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The percentage of Sailors getting NJP is way down from the old days, so if almost everyone has good conduct medals, it kind of makes sense to drop it from consideration. Besides, with the way poo poo works nowadays, if you get a NJP in your first term you're pretty much hosed and getting booted out via C-WAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

If your NCC had the correct BOL access she wouldn't have needed copies of your evals. I submit C-WAY without any input from the Sailor except a signature on 1 sheet of paper. Boom.

If the NCC wasn't prior Admin, they have no business running an Admin office. Too many NCs don't even know how to properly format a basic letter.

Our community is consistently undermanned at E-6, which pressures us to admit people that may not really be good at the job. Hopefully these people will get fired and reverted back to their old job after their first 6 months - there are a few per year that do. That, and it attracts people that want to convert for the wrong reasons (100% advancement to NC1). We have a new NC school curriculum and there's actually student attrition this time around, which is an amazingly good thing.

Sorry if you have/had a lovely Career Counselor. If you need something and don't trust your CCC, just ask here and I'll try to get you an answer.

• Locked thread