Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

It would be no great loss I assure you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Schlabbalabba posted:

I am on sea duty. I deploy in December and my EAOS is in April...

They're like "You can't just decide to get out in the middle of deployment"

And I was like "LOL"

That's exactly what half of my division did the last deployment I was on lol.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

I have at least 6 years to go, so I may be the only one left by then.

Don't worry, I'll probably do a really dumb thing and reenlist.

Someone help me.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Schlabbalabba posted:

Ugh, another day in hell. I think my biggest problem is that I have this expectation that at the next juncture in my career it will be better for whatever reason and it just isn't....

There's a good chance it will be worse, judging by the direction the Navy's been heading in.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Commoners posted:

I told people I would have to get stupid orders to stay in the navy.

Now I am going to the WHCA and have to reenlist at least another three years to do it. :shepface:

e: I'm hoping that if I do well there I would be able to pick up some excellent contracting gig or something of the sort that will pay lots and lots of money. I have no idea if this will pan out or not.

White House Communications Agency?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

Dude talking about how much he hates the navy; wants to reenlist

navy.txt

The abusive relationship was already mentioned. So I'll go with the puppy dog that follows no matter what

Sounds like he's got dependants and bills and doesn't want to potentially gently caress over his family.

Not everyone looking at getting out or staying in is an early twenties dude with no one depending on his paycheck.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Schlabbalabba posted:

This. If it was just me, or even just me and the wife (at least shes edumicated), I would just go be homeless on my bicycle...

There are a few realistic scenarios that let me get out next year, so here is hoping that they come around and work out....

Be glad you dont have kids, especially ones that go to the hospital a lot. The fear is real :(

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

Those ones are my favorites. Because if Jody doesn't steal away his wife while he's deployed and she's still hot he'll just get older, higher rank, and salty and have nothing but resentment for his life choices and have no problem keeping everyone at work until 1900 so he doesn't have to go back to his fat bitchy wife.

Then he's the one saying "what do you mean you're not re-enlisting? You want to flip burgers for the rest of your life?"

But yeah healthcare is a bitch. Reserves makes perfect sense there

I kind if feel bad for you, it seems like you've had a terrible career, or terrible people at literally every step of the way.

I mean I know we all hate the navy blablabla, but I always assumed a lot of it was hyperbole (unless it's coming from a nuke).

Also reserves healthcare isn't that great compared to prime if you have kids with legitimate issues. Both of my kids were born with club feet and without prime I don't even know how crazy the bills would have been. Fun fact: you can view all of your and your dependents medical history on some navy site I forgot about. It was pretty eye opening.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

What about reserve healthcare if you're near an MTF? I assumed it was the same in that instance as if you were AD

I actually never thought about that.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Got some lovely news today. A dude bengy and I were on our ship for five years with killed himself this morning.

I know we all joke about the amount of training we go through for that poo poo, but yea. Keep an eye out on your dudes? Not sure what point I'm trying to make I guess.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

SSOQ board today. I was asked what the honors procedure was when passing George Washington's tomb on the Potomac aboard a ship.

Yep, super important for our SSOQ to know. :confused:

I always thought stump the chump questions like that were ridiculous, doesn't matter if it's a warfare qualification board, mts, sailor/instructor of the quarter, or whatever. Just dumb.

Hope you end up winning though DustyNuts, if you help people at your command 1/10th as much as you help people on the boards here then you're the best sailor in admin in the fleet.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

My CO was interested in physics questions. Lots and lots of physics. I also apparently earned my pin about a third of the way through the board when I supposedly gave the best answer for how AEGIS works and integrates into the fleet that our CO had ever heard.

What was your answer if you remember it? As an Aegis FC who gave plenty of SWO combat walkthroughs I'm curious.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Analogical posted:

So I'm TDY somewhere there's no Navy, or even any DoD, for six months. Obviously my PRT was bound to be an issue. Talked to my chain and told them about it, they say its cool, so naturally I'm skeptical as poo poo. Find another sailor who's also going and found out he put in an SRC and a copy of his travel orders. I do the same and turn it in. "Oh, thanks."

Two weeks ago by. LPO says she'll get with me before the weekend.

Three weeks go by. I've now left.

Seven weeks go by. Two weeks to PRT window and at this point I've called my DFL, CFL office (4 times, getting 4 unique answers) and even called a Chief from another department who all say they'll get back to me.

Eighth week and my LPO finally calls. "WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU TELL US YOU COULDN'T PRT THERE?" So I tell my LPO I dropped an SRC and she says she'll call me back when she finds it.

>Three days later.
"Hey, I need you to resubmit your SRC."
"Why?"
"I need you to move the date submitted to today. It looks like we sat on this with the date being in August."
:captainpop:

So I resubmit everything. Change the dates to cover their asses. Get a call four days later from DIVO. "You better not submit this poo poo so late again."

ROGER

Yet somehow they blew their lid when I said I wanted to drop an army warrant aviation packet as if I was leaving the brass ring behind. Granted I'm sure my army packet will never be completed, because two items on there have to come from my current chain of command in a timely fashion. What boggles my loving mind is that it's been this way for the past two years. My girlfriend had an out of bounds chit get sat on for three weeks and was told AFTER the weekend that it was approved. How does anyon-- hungghghhghhh

navy.txt

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

As orange juche said, if you don't OBLISERV, you don't transfer.

Unless of course you do transfer. Guy who got over here never obliserved and I guess his admin didn't catch it. He transferred and was here for like 18 months (instead of 36) and then separated.

Obviously don't count on that happening.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

guys, I just reenlisted for 2 more years of reserve duty today because

I feel like maybe you're a sadist Ket.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Hey guys, let me tell you how fun course supervisor school is!:suicide:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

If your NCC had the correct BOL access she wouldn't have needed copies of your evals. I submit C-WAY without any input from the Sailor except a signature on 1 sheet of paper. Boom.

If the NCC wasn't prior Admin, they have no business running an Admin office. Too many NCs don't even know how to properly format a basic letter.

Our community is consistently undermanned at E-6, which pressures us to admit people that may not really be good at the job. Hopefully these people will get fired and reverted back to their old job after their first 6 months - there are a few per year that do. That, and it attracts people that want to convert for the wrong reasons (100% advancement to NC1). We have a new NC school curriculum and there's actually student attrition this time around, which is an amazingly good thing.

Sorry if you have/had a lovely Career Counselor. If you need something and don't trust your CCC, just ask here and I'll try to get you an answer.

Let me tell you about my NC1 that is actually a Tomahawk tech.

Also I'm going to second what DustyNuts said about him helping you out. He was super helpful when I was transferring my GI Bill benefits to dependents when my admin office told me to basically get hosed.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Angry Fish posted:

Six more months have been added to my time. :shrug:

This makes me happy for a lot of reasons, mostly so that we don't have to take an actually qualified instructor away from a class and stick them in open learning everyday.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm becoming more and more curious as to when NMCI is actually going to upgrade to a modern web browser. Like, virtually every non-military site I visit these days comes with a distressingly-worded warning that my browser is old as poo poo and no longer supported. That is, if the page even loads, which an increasing number of sites don't. At what point do they finally figure "gee, 2009 was a great year and all, but maybe we should move on"?

Our NMCI computers just got IE10 on them last weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

buttplug posted:

This is what happens when you do stupid poo poo like let the OPNAV N2/N6 (for the entire loving Navy) be an aviator (or SWO, or any other URL who hasn't been a career comms or something similar, for that matter).

Meaningless if they're still running XP...

They're running Windows 7. Sounds like whoever is in charge of your NMCI computers is awful (a possibility).

• Locked thread