Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Anybody ever been stationed at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling? I got orders there and need some advice on where (not) to live in the surrounding area. I heard Alexandria is nice, but pricey. Single E-5 BAH for price reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

ActusRhesus posted:

All I know about Annacostia is my old rugby team used their park for matches and had to cancel more than one game due to the presence of corpses.

Yeah, SE part of DC has a reputation. How long ago was this?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Rbear posted:

I work across the street from the base, but yeah Alexandria or Arlington are your best bet as a single guy. There's a lot of girls here, like disproportionately so. Traffic here sucks dick and I know a lot of people who commute 1.5 hours each way. I live in Alexandria and it' a 20 min drive in the morning, 35 in afternoon. I just take the metro back and it's about an hour from the base to Alexandria. It's $3.50 for a one way metro ride. You can find a good 1 bedroom apartment for about 1500 or a studio for a 1000. Expect to pay a $100 more a month for parking. E-5 BAH here is I think about 2100. Trust me, don't commute too far, don't live in northern DC or east of the Potomac, but I like it here as there's a lot of things to do.

Awesome info, thanks.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Rbear posted:

Of course! I just got stationed here 3 months ago myself. Let me know if you have more questions.

Can I get your email? I have a couple more questions but don't want to clutter the thread. Thanks.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Christoff posted:

On terminal finally :feelsgood:

Pop smoke bitches I'm out!

Wait gently caress I'm bored what do I do

There's always a working party that needs bodies...

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Don't forget "volunteer" (N.A.V.Y. Never Again Volunteer Yourself) and "we'll take care of you".

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

orange juche posted:

Anyone in here shot a Mk. 19? That one's on my list of things I really want to shoot.

Hollywood ruined my expectations- you see giant-fireball-explosions and then you get to the range expecting to see that only to find out it's a huge disappointment.

That said, it's kinda cool hearing it "thunk" away. Scary part is if immediate/remedial action is applied and catching a projectile made by the lowest bidder.

TsarAleksi posted:

but it's pretty common to see a first term sailor with 2 or more NAMs prior to tranfer.

I have still to see a NAM from my first term and it wasn't for lack of [actual hard] work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Octopode posted:

How is the rate supposed to manage all the other rates' careers objectively the worst in the entire Navy?

Because their oversight is managed by another NC and nobody else. Our last two sucked, and a lot of people got hosed over. Our current one currently translates all requests to Tagalog and the replies back to English which probably explains why our most qualified personnel didn't get their extension requests in on time. Also, this NC managed to take English literally when she plugged her phone in to the back USB port on the SIPR computer and when asked why she plugged in a PED to a computer that had a sticker on the front saying "Do not plug PEDs into USB ports" only applied to the front. Nevermind the fact that there was a PED in the SIPR room to begin with. Go Navy.

• Locked thread