Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
That's really funny, I always thought that that was an urban legend. You would think that they'd have worked out the loopholes in re-enlistments by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
This may be an anomaly, but around four people on my ship who got out around the same time as myself got SRO jobs in the civilian sector (which is quite a bit considering the sample size of a submarine). So civilian plants are still hiring nukes due to them meeting NRC requirements, it's just a matter of proper career planning to set yourself up while in and not being an incompetent poo poo head. That said, I quit the job to go back to school since I don't want to be on rotating shift work for the rest of my life.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Getting hired isn't a problem but those supposed 6 figure payrolls are a navy legend unless you're qualified reactor operator/EWS (only one rate can qualify RO and EWS is a senior watch station that can be difficult to qualify at sea) with a couple years of experience, and even then you're probably gonna be brought in as a different position and have to work up to SRO.

Depends on location. The non-licensed operators (the "lowest" position in operations) all made made six figures at the plant I was at, and this was in rural PA.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
I think my favorite response to any complaint about command climate was, "There are worse commands to be at. You're lucky not be at one of those." Is that really the right metric to be going by?

• Locked thread