Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010

Schlabbalabba posted:

I'm most likely staying in, but I shouldn't receive the backlash because I am only considering moving on with my life.

You shouldn't, but you do because your bosses are all a bunch of man-children that can't handle the thought of life without getting deep dicked by the Navy every single day.

Having said that, I was in your shoes, my CoC was a "little" more understanding about wanting to move on, but they still made life tough. For example, I requested, and was denied TAP 3 times because of deployment workups.

I teetered on the edge right up until about 8 weeks before a reenlistment date, I got all my reenlistment paperwork together, did CDB's and all that fun stuff, then when my detailer stuck me with poo poo orders I nope'd the gently caress out of the Navy.

There were a lot of angry people, who made a lot of threats (involuntary extension, etc) BUT!!!!!! There is an instruction that says if you are separating, your command has to make a reasonable effort to have you INCONUS 30 days before you enlistment is up. Now, I'm out of the Navy, so I'll be damned if I am going to look up the instruction, but it's out there somewhere.

I personally would recommend keeping your mouth shut about whether or not you are reenlisting, do the paperwork, but don't submit it until you are sure. If you decide to get out, stick to your guns and hope your CoC(k) doesn't gently caress you around.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the decision hinge on right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Schlabbalabba posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of the consequences of staying in, but quite frankly I didn't have the time due to the heavy optempo to do school to obtain a job I want. If I wasn't married I would go be poor and happy by my drat self, but I cannot.

If you do a technical job in the navy, and aren't too picky about where you live, start talking to some employment recruiters.

I forget who I used, maybe Orion International? They got me set up in my current gig, I got out making more or less the same money without having to work weekends and overtime if/when I want it.

You might have to wade through some crap, but it would be worth your time to take a look.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Don't worry, I'll probably do a really dumb thing and reenlist.

Someone help me.

I've tried, you are hopeless.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

DustyNuts posted:

I'd participate. Chrimbus gifts for all!

SSOQ board today. I was asked what the honors procedure was when passing George Washington's tomb on the Potomac aboard a ship. I bullshitted my way through the answer and apparently got it mostly correct.

So what is it?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

Haven't been to a formal occasion where mini-medals and/or Mess Dress was the uniform except for the O-6s/E-9s/'hard-chargers'. I don't even want to think of pricing out full or mini medals.

Mini's were loving expensive.
I thought about having a set made for a ball once, but they were over 100 bux for my paltry medal collection.

Anytime I went to a ball, regular medals were good enough, and they were marginally cheaper to have made up if I remember correctly.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Edit: Meant chaplain talk for the drunk thread I think

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 14, 2014

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jacco posted:

I need advice. I get out (hopefully) in a year. I am in the IT line of work. I have a BS in information systems but I really dont like the type of work I do. I would really like to go back to college to get a different BS degree but everyone tells me I should suck it up and just get a Masters in my area of expertise.

So my question is, is there anyone out there that has done what I want to do and could offer any insight?

A little more info would be helpful.
Are you filthy and enlisted?
Is you bachelors degree from a real school?
What is you work history like outside of the Navy?
What are you trying to accomplish.

You should get a masters, it will go a lot farther than a second bachelors will.

Maybe get an MBA? Do you hate money and like the idea of being an indentured servant? Than go get a teachers cert!

I would look at project management personally, combines my some of my favorite things like money, stress, and self loathing!

Seriously, think beyond what you are trained to do to what you want to do and what you need to do to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jacco posted:

I am filthy and enlisted, my bachelors is from a real school, and out side of the navy my work experience was basically in the service industry to work my way through college. No way I am doing project management. I really want to do something that helps people.

I would ask in the Vet thread, there are a couple guys that do social science things (assuming that's what you mean by helping people), and they can probably help you more.

I still think I would look into a Master's program for your potential future career. I personally don't know poo poo about those kind of career fields, but if it's like anything else you will be way further ahead in life going into it with a masters than with a second bachelors. I guess the first thing you would need to do is figure out what program you want to do and where you want to do it at. Then figure out what you need to do to get accepted, and hopefully you can get rolling as soon as you get out. If you aren't on a ship, you might even have time to knock out some pre-reqs if you have to, but knowing how the Navy works, they will probably work hard to prevent that from happening.

• Locked thread