Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'd be down (to send someone some anal beads or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

The only good "trivia" question on our boards was "how many steam fire pumps does the ship have?"
The ship was built with four of them. They were replaced with electric pumps in like 1990. If you answer anything but zero, it means you never actually went down to the engineering spaces to look at the equipment and got all your stuff from the old gouge books.

We had 4 on my ship, luckily they did not ask me which ones because I had no loving clue which ones they were. I can't even remember how many fire pumps total we had, I just remember that the steam ones would keep working even if the ship lost power.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I had a CO fired, an XO fired, and a CMC fired, CMC and XO for drunk driving, and CO for bad videos. Never been to a navy ball, never will go, and refreshingly single.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Our CFL type always just set us to DEP/OP whenever we were indisposed due to whatever TDY.

Difference being you had a good CFL.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thank god I only have until August in Japan, I really tried to like the place, and it was pretty cool, but gently caress if everyone in the chain of command isn't super loving uptight. It doesn't help being one of like 3 E-5s here out of around 100 people. There's 4 people lower ranked than me I think, 6 first classes, and other than that it's all CPOs and up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Doctor Sex Butts posted:

If you refuse to obliserv, do they generally cancel your orders and stick you somewhere else instead? I got my new orders a few months ago and my admin told me I had 10 days to decide and return the paperwork. Due to several factors (not caring, going away to TAD and forgetting about it, wanting more time to decide, etc) I have yet to turn in these obliserve papers and I'm about 2.5 months away from PRD. If I tell them to gently caress off, what are the chances orders get cancelled?

If the orders have an obliserv component written into them, and you don't obliserv then your chances of getting orders cancelled are roughly 100%. Last minute replacement orders are poo poo too, so think before telling admin to eat all the dicks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Christoff posted:

On terminal finally :feelsgood:

Pop smoke bitches I'm out!

Wait gently caress I'm bored what do I do

congratulations, you survived!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ryand-Smith posted:

See, I'm the surface precom nuke, and we have the fun of being a new platform, where we are literally writing the rulebook as we go along, combined with as Ket mentioned, the internal audits, but at least we have 4 section, (so worst case is 6/6, ideal is 4/8). The thing about this is, we were supposed to have more ~automation~ and ~reduced watchstanding requirements~ but we have the issue of having .. well not enough people (half of a Nimitz lolololololololol), for the potential maintenance, but that's another bridge to cross.

BUT we have it better than most, since we have actual fleet support, and big navy seems willing to work with us, and they are giving everyone as many qualifications as possible since we simply can't support everyone not being qualified.

Are you on the Ford? I got propositioned by the detailer to come there for my next billet, as I still have 24 months left on my contract. I'd be working in N6/ADP/Printer Bitch, but how is the command from your perspective as the most run down motherfucker on the ship?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Christoff posted:

Hey man only English allowed in the workplace!!!!!

Shut up, eat your dicks and like them. Even the gray sickly looking one.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've got a pic somewhere of me shooting that dual 50. Those things loving own.

Dual 50 club checkin in, that thing was loving amazing to shoot while we were in the gulf. It's good to be friends with gunner's mates when they have ammo that needs to be used. It feels like the loving thunder of god going off right in front of you :gizz:

Anyone in here shot a Mk. 19? That one's on my list of things I really want to shoot.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 24, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I don't have any NAMs and hah gently caress trying to go out of the way to get one. If a NAM finds me it won't be because I went out looking to get one. Didn't they take away the award points for NAMs on the advancement exam anyways? Or was that the Good Conduct medal?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah. Concern is that with perform to serve, etc. giving a guy NJP is a death sentence. It used to be a fairly effective way to just correct someone that was a little messed up but had potential.

To be fair, an NJP is the kiss of death for your career pretty much. You may have good evals, 2 pins etc and be a supervisor over a bunch of people, but if you get an NJP, then your spot will go to the guy who does the same thing as you, without the NJP.

The chiefs usually try to handle the minor fuckups at DRB, if it's a decent CPO mess. The return gently caress ups after having a DRB cut them slack and recommend dismissal of charges have earned the NJP.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 27, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Idk my NCC is pretty decent, she put in my c-way approximately 30 minutes after I dropped the evals on her desk. That's pretty much the fastest turnaround time I have ever seen for anything in the navy, so maybe she doesn't go up against the wall.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DustyNuts posted:

If your NCC had the correct BOL access she wouldn't have needed copies of your evals. I submit C-WAY without any input from the Sailor except a signature on 1 sheet of paper. Boom.

If the NCC wasn't prior Admin, they have no business running an Admin office. Too many NCs don't even know how to properly format a basic letter.

Our community is consistently undermanned at E-6, which pressures us to admit people that may not really be good at the job. Hopefully these people will get fired and reverted back to their old job after their first 6 months - there are a few per year that do. That, and it attracts people that want to convert for the wrong reasons (100% advancement to NC1). We have a new NC school curriculum and there's actually student attrition this time around, which is an amazingly good thing.

Sorry if you have/had a lovely Career Counselor. If you need something and don't trust your CCC, just ask here and I'll try to get you an answer.

Counterpoint, my CCC is technically at a different command, I am under a separate UIC from about 85% of the people I work with because I am a detachment from Misawa. The billet is permanently allocated to where I am, but as a detachment, admin has to jump through a lot of poo poo to get me hooked up right.

There should be a CCC for my det, but there isn't, so the NCC for the other command is the best I've got as far as that goes. She does a pretty decent job, as she actually cares about helping people.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 28, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poopkitty posted:

This also baffles me. You're "from" Misawa, but not stationed there, permanently. WHY THE gently caress?

Now you know how I feel.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pandasmores posted:

lol the Navy is hosed

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

Couldn't they have automated the process? Why is it a "day before" process?

Pandasmores posted:

lol the Navy is hosed

• Locked thread