Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Angry Fish posted:

I'm at the VA right now for appendicitis

R.I.P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Schlabbalabba posted:

Well, I told my chain that I applied for a few jobs.... they flipped the gently caress out and now they're hounding me if I am reenlisting or not. They're also trying to get me to reenlist now (and not tax free) so I'm locked in for deployment. So, now, unfortunately IF I manage to get an interview, they likely won't let me take leave to go. Dicks.

They just love you so much they don't want you to leave. Don't you want to make them happy?!?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Schlabbalabba posted:

I'm most likely staying in, but I shouldn't receive the backlash because I am only considering moving on with my life.

You get what you deserve when you reenlist. You reup this time and get hosed later its your own fault you filthy whore.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Schlabbalabba posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of the consequences of staying in, but quite frankly I didn't have the time due to the heavy optempo to do school to obtain a job I want. If I wasn't married I would go be poor and happy by my drat self, but I cannot.

Save money now or trade a car in or sell the house. This is your second bid right? If you don't have any equity to take a loan against to get a job while you are out then the Navy might be what you want. You won't have time to find work unless you're on shore duty but by the end of your third contract you might as well stay the course. How much terminal leave do you have saved up?

Edit: lol I have no responsibilities so these all seem like good ideas for me, but living on a submarine loving sucks and while you're doing that you hardly do either

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 3, 2014

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

buttplug posted:

I got asked what the designation was for a hot LZ (landing zone) for a helo during Vietnam on my SWO board.
was a lookup, I had no idea...and guess what? I don't remember what it was. That's how important it was.

I never ask people lame-rear end "stump the chump" questions like that on boards. I ask abstract poo poo that requires you to actually use your brain because I want to see how a person thinks/reasons their way through a problem (especially with incomplete information), not whether or not you can regurgitate useless loving Jeopardy trivia.

Sub boards were alot of fun for this reason alone. Listening to coners try to reason out how different systems interconnected was, sadly, hilarious. Only got to sit one though :)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

So a little debate seems to be going on among the different HNs, especially the new ones coming in from other commands. For the people that have been to hospitals as commands:

1) Do the evals of the lower enlisted get ranked based on their NEC or do you lump in everyone that's assigned to a particular directorate?

Seems that everyone would get ranked based on their performance only within their particular department in a smart way (Psych tech evals ranked with Psych techs, Surg techs with Surg techs, etc.), with all the general duty (0000 and 8404) being lumped in together. This is particularly because of the various workloads of every clinic being different, as well as their duties. In my case, I won't ever see as many patients as someone assigned to regular medical primarily because our evaluations are different and require different amounts of time to complete.

2) Are your guys stacked individually based on work?

It appears that everyone seems to get a general duty evaluation, with low performers being given more credit and high performers lower based on the fact that they all work as a team, which makes no sense for an individual evaluation. It may just be anger at being given the same points/MP/P as someone that doesn't have a job, but the EPs seem to go solely to the people that have volunteer hours regardless of the others competing with college hours.

EPs are divvied up depending on relative CPO dick length, clout, and hummer ability. As are MPs after they become restricted due to rank. The entire eval system is dumb as poo poo. We had a poo poo-hot guy in my division not get an EP until his next eval due to CPO clout even though he was undoubtedly deserving of this.

I have never been to a hospital command but I can't imagine the retarded office politics are any different from retarded ship politics.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SpaceJustice posted:

This may be an anomaly, but around four people on my ship who got out around the same time as myself got SRO jobs in the civilian sector (which is quite a bit considering the sample size of a submarine). So civilian plants are still hiring nukes due to them meeting NRC requirements, it's just a matter of proper career planning to set yourself up while in and not being an incompetent poo poo head. That said, I quit the job to go back to school since I don't want to be on rotating shift work for the rest of my life.

Getting hired isn't a problem but those supposed 6 figure payrolls are a navy legend unless you're qualified reactor operator/EWS (only one rate can qualify RO and EWS is a senior watch station that can be difficult to qualify at sea) with a couple years of experience, and even then you're probably gonna be brought in as a different position and have to work up to SRO.

dragondir posted:

Don't know if I missed an earlier post, but how bad is nuke life? I'm genuinely curious as I'm contemplating the navy. Haven't had the conversation yet, but some information you know would be appreciated.

3 suicides during my year in the training pipeline and one more on the waterfront that I heard about. I don't know how many attempts there were. My old roommate used to sleep with one of his rifles and our house had a firewatch or sorts to make sure he didn't suck it off. So its bad enough to warrant about a suicide per year of someone you probably know. Good luck have fun

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 22, 2014

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

KetTarma posted:

Eh, I got a legit offer for 95k/yr+10k/yr bonus at a plant starting as a maintenance supervisor based on being able to speak intelligently during the interview and having a professionally written resume.

However, they fired the next 3 people to accept an offer so who knows

oh, I've had two friends kill themselves over work. go navy

Most of the jobs I looked at that didn't require working outages were for ~75K pending qualification and whatnot but I never bothered with any headhunters or really delved too deeply into it. Didn't you qualify EWS at prototype too?

Regardless dragondir my advice to you is that if you want to join the navy first determine what you want to do. I wanted to see the world, thinking that the navy was a natural choice over army/marines/airforce/coastguard. Sadly I didn't do my research relating to where I would be stationed and visiting and as a consequence ended up being stationed out of Kingsbay GA and only ever saw greece.
If you're joining for training/benefits FTs seemed to get a pretty good deal as far as submarines go.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

Holy poo poo thats loving metal as gently caress.

According to my LPO, it isn't total bullshit that some E-3 getting bluejacket/stopping to check if anyone is hurt at a vehicle accident in a shore command gets a NAM but an E-3 saving a life on a battlefield under fire just gets a pat on the back in some cases.

Is it just hospitals that give NAMs away like crazy or do sea going commands do it as well?

Our junior galley watch captain got a nam for making cookies and managing inventory while the nukes who worked 3x the hours doing emergent repairs got dick. Awards are presented on a major curve and are subject to all kinds of stupid politics.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

itsrobbiej posted:

Speaking of NAM stories (prototype command BTW), we had one girl get a NAM because there were a bunch of students drunk at a Dennys and she checked on them, told them not to raise hell, and made sure they had a safe way home. NAM.

Buddy of mine was hanging out at a friends house with kids and a pool. Looks down and sees a kid at the bottom of the pool. Dives in, brings the kid out, gives him CPR and the kid starts breathing again. NAM.

Man, what a large scope a NAM has for acceptability.

lol yeah saving an infants life isn't worthy of a nam. that poo poo needs a COM.

Homegirl deserves a nam for hitting all the checkpoints for safe alcohol use.

poo poo isn't a bronze star or anything

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 25, 2014

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I am uhh... an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Angry Fish posted: