Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Laranzu posted:

One of the restricted kids I have to watch tonight is literally there because he smells awful.

He went to mast because of stench. This gentlemen is a quality individual.

Do you know what article they charged him with? I feel like that might be useful knowledge at some point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Major Minor posted:

Is there any academic prep you would suggest? Math and science is admittedly a weak point for me and the classroom aspect is a little intimidating to me.

There's not really a lot of actual math or science involved, other than stuff like "add/subtract 180 to this number". You'll learn a fair number of equations, but you generally don't use them to solve anything other than in general terms, i.e., if that variable goes up, what happens to this variable. Ground school (API) is about learning a lot of material quickly and accurately, and regurgitating it in a test. Everything you need to know is clearly spelled out and taught in a very straightforward way. Like vulturesrow said, as long as you put in the work and ask for help when you need to, you should do fine.

If anything, what helps the most beforehand is having a general understanding of stuff that you can fill in with the specifics in API. Look up some youtube documentaries about aircraft design, how jet engines work, meteorology, that kind of thing. That way you're at least familiar with some of the terms when it comes time to learn it. The main subjects you cover in API (straining my memory here) are aerodynamics, engines, weather, navigation, and flight rules and regulations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

poopkitty posted:

The worst CMC on the planet added herself to all chits below the Dept. Head. And the XO/CO allowed it. I mean ALL. Like my DIVO's chit had to go through her. I hope to see her on Navy Times but never ever will.

How does that even work? Like, as a divo when I route a chit or something, I'm the one that marks off who it gets routed to. Even if our CMC wanted to review it, he'd never even know about it unless my DH sent it to him. Same with e-leave.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

poopkitty posted:

She had the XO/CO convinced that she was the gatekeeper. She was an evil, evil, manipulative bitch.

Ugh, that sucks. Ideally a front office will shut down stupidity like that from the CMC, but sometimes it seeps through. I've seen a similar situation but I'm glad it didn't go quite that far.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Christoff posted:

Hah, mini medals aside don't forget about the mini warfare devices! :downs:

This one chow hall MAA or whatever the gently caress they called him I forgot on ship cracked me up because he had his little mini warfare devices on his chow hall MAA polo

I liked our one recently promoted 3rd class who drew his crow with a sharpie on his little paper food service hat.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, he was just doing it because it was funny and he hadn't picked up a spare insignia yet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Smoke all the weed.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

poopkitty posted:

Also "deer in a headlock."

To be honest, I'm probably going to steal this phrase to use at some point. But I'll have to burn that bridge when I come to it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I kind of enjoy end-of-tour awards boards. Not so much slap fighting over who gets a NAM for being a CFL or whatever, but once you get to the bottom of the list and the suggestions come out for the shitbags. Handshake of appreciation? Maybe a Chief LOC? We don't want anything printed on the fancy paper, normal printer paper is fine.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm becoming more and more curious as to when NMCI is actually going to upgrade to a modern web browser. Like, virtually every non-military site I visit these days comes with a distressingly-worded warning that my browser is old as poo poo and no longer supported. That is, if the page even loads, which an increasing number of sites don't. At what point do they finally figure "gee, 2009 was a great year and all, but maybe we should move on"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

krispykremessuck posted:

IE10 has been authorized since uh ... a while ago. It's up to local commands to actually implement.

What the gently caress. Hold on, I need to go yell at our ITs.

• Locked thread