Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Schlabbalabba posted:

The Navy is trying to gently caress me hard

Schlabbalabba posted:

I'm most likely staying in

hth

You were miserable on subs. You did a ton of work to get off subs and were miserable as a taxi cab driver hovercraft whatever. You are being threatened by your CoC. You want to reenlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

guys, I just reenlisted for 2 more years of reserve duty today because family healthcare while you're an underemployed student is the worst.

kind of expecting to get medical discharge from destroying my ankle since I am the LLD queen at this point. 11 months LLD, AT waived, still have ~8 months LLD + physical therapy until I'm fit for full duty. Expected to regain 80-90% of mobility. Yay.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

I feel like maybe you're a sadist Ket.

Nah. I dont really mind the Reserves at all. It's nothing at all like the daily misery of nuke-life. I get 300 dollars and cheap healthcare every month to basically write awards for people and occasionally fix their computers. Somehow, everyone thinks that being in charge of training is a huge deal. It takes me about 15 minutes a month to take care of my paperwork because I have everything set up in templates in Excel and Word.

Seqenenra posted:

If this is the first time you've reenlisted, the navy considers you a careerist now. Congrats.

I guess everyone has forgotten about me :( I did 9 years active and have done 2 years in the USNR now. I'll be graduating with my engineering degree in May 2016 and switching my internship to a full time position then resigning from the Reserves, woo. I got a lot of poo poo on here for join the Reserves after how much I hated being a nuke on active duty but it's worked out pretty well.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

Ket whenever I see your posts I remember the misery of your life as an instructor and it always helped me realize that "oh well, at least I'm not a Nuke." I laugh pretty hard when I see my friend's significant others/siblings go against what I tell them and enlist as Nukes what with the eventual "I hate my loving life" status updates on facebook every so often. Feels good to see life is finally going well for you, hopefully you get that Med Board. 3 LLDs and you get looked at for it automatically, IIRC. Just hope you have a decent PEBLO to handle all your paperwork. Try and maintain copies of all the paperwork that's going into it, you never know what gets lost/looked over.

My girlfriend found a Pit Bull puppy near her apartment complex, pictures coming up when she gets internet tonight :3:

I'm definitely getting a med board in February. I've been told by my HM2 that "I'll probably be allowed to stay in" which is kind of laughable considering how hard they're trying to kick people out of the USNR. Either way, as long as I keep cheap healthcare I really don't care that much. I get 6 months of healthcare from my company each year (summers+90 days) so I guess I could pay for COBRA or something if the Navy gives me one final dick in the butt.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

did you go to DTAP yet?
If you're found unfit >30% for a condition by the medboard, you'll be medically retired either PDRL or TDRL with Tricare.

Nope! I just have heresy and vague descriptions of the future so far.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

dragondir posted:

Don't know if I missed an earlier post, but how bad is nuke life? I'm genuinely curious as I'm contemplating the navy. Haven't had the conversation yet, but some information you know would be appreciated.

My post history is probably clogged up with video games and engineering chat. I'm bored and waiting for breakfast to start so I'll justpost

With two years of hindsight and the freedom of the mostly civilian world allowing nostalgia to gloss over the bad parts... I can say that it's still one of the low points of my life...that lasted for most of my adult life.

Here's my least favorite thing that makes life less enjoyable..
Traditional duty day:
Show up, do 8 hour work day, stand 6 hours of watch, eat, poop, do scheduled work for that night, take a short 2-3 hour nap, wake up, stand 6 hours of watch, do 8 hour work day, go home. Repeat in 2 days (1/3 days are duty days). This results in having one full weekend per month where you will still wake up on the ship on Saturday at 6am so you can muster and clean until 8am.

Basically, you pull an all nighter at work every third day, including weekends.

When underway, you will work some watch rotation (5 hours on, 10 hours off being most common/6 hours on, 6 hours off/etc. The best I have ever heard of was 5 on, 55 off on another ship) on top of your normal 8 to 10 to 12 to 16 hour workday+training+after shift maintenance+cleaning. Sleep is usually not accounted for and missing it is just part of the game.

Shore duty wasn't much better. I still worked about 12 hours a day on a rotating shift 9 day workweek. Every 7 days I got 24-70 hours off to readjust to a +8 hour bump in the time my shift started. After 3 years of that, I no longer had a properly functioning circadian rhythm and would wake up at 3am fully alert and starving. Throw in randomly working for 30-60 days straight for maintenance outages just for fun. Those times would actually make me feel better because I was able to sleep on a regular basis.

So considering how little sleep you get and how much work is your lifestyle... you cannot make a mistake. Ever. Mess up verifying a signature on something at 3am after you havent slept for 2 days? Tough, enjoy being disqualified and put on extra working hours until requalified. You're lucky you don't get demoted over it. I can't count the number of people I've known to make a small mistake that got them sent to captain's mast. It makes for a tense workday.. especially since we have an internal auditing agency that might have a permanent office next to yours so they can do constant audits of everything you do with every mistake being personally briefed to the captain.

Now imagine doing that for 9 years. That's why I was so emo here back in the 2010-2012 timeframe.

I still remember my first few weeks out as some of the best in my life. I started sleeping and eating normally again. I had time to start doing hobbies. I saw my wife on a regular basis. It was crazy. I joined the Reserves for healthcare since my school doesnt provide it and have talked to dozens of former active duty sailors. The only people that ever experienced that lifestyle were the nukes, several of which washed out before completing their active duty time.

Edit: Oh, don't forget that they're throwing out about 12k to enlist with people regularly getting 90k reenlistment bonuses...yet fleet retention is still a Big Problem. They pour money down a bottomless pit trying to keep people from getting out but nope. I think my reenlistment bonus would've been around 40-50k for adding 4 years. Lol.

This leads me to believe that being a nuke kind of sucks.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 22, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

Seriously, listen to Ket, Nuke is more than likely the shittiest job in the Navy to join in the history of ever unless you're down to follow other peoples' path of doing w/e it is to work at a plant for six figures assuming that plants switch back to hiring nukes instead of local vocational school grads like many plants are now doing. Or you could just sit down, open up books and go down his scholastic path without blowing away 6 years of hating your decision.

ftfy

I wanna work on airplane stuff (ideally radar optimization) when I graduate. Not gonna work at a power plant unless my current employer doesn't have any full time spots when I graduate and none of the local firms are hiring and oh god my mortgage.

Also yeah, I had it pretty bad as a surface nuke+NPTU tour but being a submariner nuke is way worse. Their suicide attempt/completion rates are crazy. At least on a carrier we had the hope of one day going to 4 section if we could just get more people. Subs are like "lol its either port and starboard or 3 section gl hf ps commence e-6 and below field day"

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Getting hired isn't a problem but those supposed 6 figure payrolls are a navy legend unless you're qualified reactor operator/EWS (only one rate can qualify RO and EWS is a senior watch station that can be difficult to qualify at sea) with a couple years of experience, and even then you're probably gonna be brought in as a different position and have to work up to SRO.

3 suicides during my year in the training pipeline and one more on the waterfront that I heard about. I don't know how many attempts there were. My old roommate used to sleep with one of his rifles and our house had a firewatch or sorts to make sure he didn't suck it off. So its bad enough to warrant about a suicide per year of someone you probably know. Good luck have fun

Eh, I got a legit offer for 95k/yr+10k/yr bonus at a plant starting as a maintenance supervisor based on being able to speak intelligently during the interview and having a professionally written resume.

However, they fired the next 3 people to accept an offer so who knows

oh, I've had two friends kill themselves over work. go navy

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Most of the jobs I looked at that didn't require working outages were for ~75K pending qualification and whatnot but I never bothered with any headhunters or really delved too deeply into it. Didn't you qualify EWS at prototype too?

No. I made the mistake of qualifying Load Dispatcher instead of EWS on the carrier because it seemed the natural choice as an EM. For the uninitiated, LD is basically the role that Scotty on Star Trek fulfilled. It was by individual selection only with a good number of people failing out of the qual due to the extensive nature of what you had to know/do.
I definitely enjoyed telling JOs to go away if their requests didn't match what I wanted for the carrier's electric plant alignment. I reported directly to the EOOW/RDO with 9 subordinate watchstanders plus being 2nd in command of DC Central. I was also the ultimate authority for what happened to every generator and switchboard on the ship so officers had to come to me for permission to do things. If they tried to pull rank, I'd sic an O-4 or an O-6 on them that'd back me up every time. Best watch ever. Anyway...

When I showed up to prototype, I discovered that not being qualified EWS previously + being a surface guy = not put into initial EWS quals.

They then made EWS mandatory for making chief after I reported to prototype so everyone requested to be put into quals.

However...

We got a new CO shortly after I showed up who said that unless we were returning to the fleet, we were not going to be put on the waiting list to qualify EWS because "I don't want to hook up people that aren't going to return to the fleet to be disciples of nuclear power. If you want EWS, put in your reenlistment chit."

Yeah, didn't do that. Got out. No regrets. As it turns out, no one outside of nuclear power plants even know what EWS is. At this point, I only use about a third of the space of my resume to talk about Navy. The rest is all school/internship stuff.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Zotix posted:

How hard is it to go active duty from reserves?

The recruiter said that they can't get me to MEPs in November to DEP in because they've already got their limit for active duty for the month, and they won't promise me that they can send me in December either. However they did tell me that they can get me to meps next week for a reserve spot for CTN. So if i do this, my question is how hard is it to get transferred to active duty?

I'm not going to pretend to be a great fount of knowledge on Reserves but everyone I know says it's pretty drat hard.

It seems as though people are getting kicked out of active duty and going Reserves with the goal of going back active somehow. As a result, there's tons of competition... at least among the rates of people I deal with regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Hey, the IT in my Reserves unit learned how to configure a router in tech school. Unfortunately, this does not help her rig cargo with chains which is far more applicable to her billet.

• Locked thread