Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

ManMythLegend posted:

My understanding is that the IAMD WTI's would be rolling to their second DIVO tour as FCO, not rolling ashore just like the ASW WTI's are rolling to an ASWO billet, however I could be wrong since I'm not an expert in the program and it's been in flux for a while. Also, as far as I know, yes: IAMD WTI requires SWOCP.

Honestly, the whole thing is kind of a big pile of poo poo right now. Big SWO hasn't really figured out how to do this, or what they are even really trying to do anyway. The IAMD WTI in particular is kind of dumb because pumping DIVO's through it still allows for that knowledge to escape the shooter community since there is currently nothing that tags those folks as "CRUDES only" down the line. They should be pumping STO's, ADO's, and WEPS through instead in order to ensure that the right people are getting the training.

I like the theory behind SWO WTI's, but so far I like nothing about the execution at all. To me it seems to be more akin to the abortion that is/was Specialty Career Paths then it does to aviation WTI's

I went through the ASWO WTI pipeline and I think you're on the money that it's a good idea but the execution is flawed. For example, BUPERS won't let NMAWC make the SuASW WTI class a stopper for ASWOs headed to the fleet, so it's perfectly likely that an ASWO could fail WTI and still report as ordered... which makes the whole program seem slightly pointless. Moreover, while the WTI class is really good (without a doubt the best Navy school I've been through) the ASWE courses are still the same old crap we've been shoveling for years, meaning that we waste a month then try to cram too much information into the second month where the WTI course comes into play. Finally, the program seems a little lost on those of us attached to Norfolk ships and deploying to the AG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

vulturesrow posted:

Here is some advice:

1. Don't ever make a comment even remotely similar to what you wrote you ever again.

This is something that really really bears repeating. My community is, ahem, a bit less popular than aviation SWO, but even so, there is really nothing worse than the guy who can't shut up about how he almost got picked up for x, y, or z special program and he's about to drop his BUD/s package and blah blah.

Inevitably, those are the same people who suck at the job they are actually doing, and consequently never succeed in actually transferring, because what community wants to take someone who sucks? The only person I know who actually pulled it off (did not select SEALS, then got accepted for lateral) had a great attitude and was a star performer as a SWO first.

This isn't to say this will be you, but it's really key to remember and maybe bite your tounge a bit.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

"Captain we have no idea why the DCPOs failed the 3M cert, only our best people can serve as DCPOs! And we make it easy for them because they're not allowed to participate in their divisions at all. In no way does this incentivize divisional leadership to send us the bottom of the barrel!"

S2 recently tried to require that the MDMAA be an EP sailor. This was so well received that there is currently no MDMAA and chaos reigns on the messdecks.

TsarAleksi fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 13, 2014

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Pandasmores posted:

Holy poo poo thats loving metal as gently caress.

According to my LPO, it isn't total bullshit that some E-3 getting bluejacket/stopping to check if anyone is hurt at a vehicle accident in a shore command gets a NAM but an E-3 saving a life on a battlefield under fire just gets a pat on the back in some cases.

Is it just hospitals that give NAMs away like crazy or do sea going commands do it as well?

The broad brush rule of thumb is yes. It can vary by CO and even by department depending on different people's take on it, but it's pretty common to see a first term sailor with 2 or more NAMs prior to tranfer. From what I understand the Marines are stingier with awards.

• Locked thread