Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Angry Fish posted:

From the No poo poo, & Salt Water Tastes Salty Department, the Navy survey I linked maybe three months ago has its results back, and its all comically bad:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/30/us-navy-sailors-harbor-widespread-distrust-of-seni/

lol:

quote:

Cmdr. Christopher Servello, a spokesman for the chief of naval personnel, said: “Not sure we agree with all of the conclusions that were drawn, but we are grateful for the effort done by this group. … Much of the raw data collected matches what we have seen in our own surveys.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Angry Fish posted:

It's almost like they're so embarrassed at their own terribleness that they just want to plug their ears with dicks and pretend that the ship isn't sinking.

the coast guard got an overwhelmingly bad response on a similar survey a few years back and the official response was that it was a statistical anomaly

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

dudes fight over all kinds of dumb poo poo too though. we just tend to draw the line at smearing blood and poo poo on things. tend to.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Major Minor posted:

I got picked up Pilot. It wasn’t my first choice but

lol

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

um does anyone here know when the navy cancelled its comptroller manual w/out replacement?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've never seen it. [Top Gun]

goddamn you are the worst, dude

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Angry Fish posted:

The X-47B is an amazing drone, and watching this video of well-edited X-47B flight ops gave me a patriot boner.

http://vimeo.com/105478034

well edited my rear end

3 minutes of video played at 1/3 speed and no sound for the vast majority of it is not "well-edited"

but yeah that's a cool drone

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

to be fair navy correspondence is a complete shitshow so really the person sending up the award should probably also get an award

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

if you have your heart set on joining either of the maritime services, choose a really loving dumb rating like YN or LS where breathing without reminders and speaking english sets you ahead of the vast majority of other people. then abuse TA and get out after 4/6 years and use your GI bill to do something cool.

alternative path is to pick something that gives you real skills, but those jobs come with expectations and also a lot of dickheads in/along the way.

also don't join the navy. join the coast guard. it's a way better deal, most of the same travel opportunities exist but are mostly voluntary, you probably won't get shot (except by coworkers) and the buoy lot isn't filled with navy chiefs.

same pay and benefits, slightly less dod retardation.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Except then you'd have to learn tagalog to communicate with your coworkers.

that's why I recommended the coast guard, it doesn't have that problem

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Vriess posted:

I used to be a YN for 4 years. Horrible existence and boring work.

not disagreeing, just saying that being basically competent sets you apart in that rating

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

kill all YN2s

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Don't waste your time with Fraud, Waste, and Abuse either unless it's something that will end up in GAO's lap. Which with what you do, it won't.

In fact, don't bother reporting whatever the gently caress it is, probably.

e: Because someone higher up probably already knows about it, has signed off on it, and had legal jury-rig a determination together that what they're doing is a-ok.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Angry Fish posted:

I hate that excuse. I wish that we had a processes review system that actually functioned to improve core business practices.

Why do you think the Navy actually wants to improve core business practices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm becoming more and more curious as to when NMCI is actually going to upgrade to a modern web browser. Like, virtually every non-military site I visit these days comes with a distressingly-worded warning that my browser is old as poo poo and no longer supported. That is, if the page even loads, which an increasing number of sites don't. At what point do they finally figure "gee, 2009 was a great year and all, but maybe we should move on"?

IE10 has been authorized since uh ... a while ago. It's up to local commands to actually implement.

• Locked thread