Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

MancXVI posted:

Another one: if you seriously hurt yourself and need surgery past your SEAOS, they will only retain you on LIMDU if you are PTS-approved.

What about if you're an Officer who already has separation orders, will they retain you? Everything I've seen says no, but I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Christoff posted:

So getting out real soon and barely starting to get seen for my issues. Curious what all you guys claimed on your final physical? I don't think I'll have a chance to sit down and file my claims on base before I get out but I'm just going to try to do it with a VA rep while I'm on terminal.

What all did you guys claim, were you ever seen for it on active duty, what'd you get, etc? If you don't mind telling. I'm not trying to milk the system I'm just wondering if you guys are writing down literally every little thing on your final physical? I just have ringing in my left ear and the usual lower back pain. And self diagnosed plantar fasciitis for the last year. Which I'll probably get seen for just in case it's an issue down the line. I just am still a bit confused as to how the whole process works.

Make sure that everything is in writing. The things the VA will look for are in your medical record under "Chronic problems". Those are the ones that matter. Make sure that you make multiple copies of your medical, dental, and service (personnel) record. Just remember that if you have a legitimate issue, that you go to medical for it, and that it gets put in your record. At the end of the day, whether or not you serve 4 or 20+ years, the medical condition you have will be with you for life. The Navy isn't for life.

Also, if you want your payments to arrive as soon as possible, ensure that the type of claim that you file is as complete as possible and is a pre-discharge claim, this can be as late as 1 day before your actual EAOS date, although I recommend doing it before then. There are veteran organizations that will help you out with this, such as Disabled American Veterans (DAV), Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), and there's a third that I can't think of right now (American Legion?).

Edit: Go to your local MTF, or hospital that has your records and request your electronic record. They'll ask for your e-mail and you'll get a link with a password to download your whole electronic medical record that comes from ALTA. That's important to keep in addition to the paper record that you have.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

Christoff posted:

For tinnitus am I alright just putting it on my final physical or do I need an actual visit for it?

I would make sure to go to medical and have an audiogram done so that any conditions that you have are documented within that session.

Laranzu posted:

Is chronic a checkbox the MTF checks or something the va rep decides?

When you get your electronic record, near the beginning of the record there will be two sections, one that says Chronic conditions and the other says Acute conditions. Acute conditions, as far as the VA is concerned, will usually not go into your VA disability rating (it may depend on the condition, but by definition acute is transient). Chronic conditions are the ones they care about because those are the ones that will continue to be with you for a longer period of time, perhaps the rest of your life. To my knowledge, chronic conditions are determined by your primary health care provider, which is hopefully someone with a MD.

• Locked thread