Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MancXVI posted:

Possible solution: reenlist on a Saturday at a bar off base

e: if you pound shots between discharge and signing, does your inebriation legally invalidate your new contract?

I think it's likely that this was once employed as a retention method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I have decided to name my waterpipe Bong Paul Jones.

on the command fall out and carry out the plan of the day Have a fine navy day gents fall out

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
One of my old buddies did Presidential duty, he said it was sick. You get a framed picture of yourself with the president and poo poo, which is pretty cool. And if you stay in after that, you get to wear the big gaudy Presidential Service cookie forever

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Putting "Intend To Separate" is a real rookie move. 1 - Never tell your chain of command you plan to get out, and save yourself a lot of hassle. 2 - if the Navy decides to downsize you out down the road (which is a possibility for an HM considering they're overmanned), then they don't have to pay you severance. Intend to re-enlist, and if your C-Way doesn't get approved, boom, severance pay. If you select "Intend to Separate" even once in C-Way, that's it, no chance of severance pay for you.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vriess posted:

I was PTS-Approved
I had orders to my next duty station
I had done check-out.
I had done everything, except the Re-enlistment paperwork.

Then, 4 months before, I got a job offer. Shredded the re-enlistment and put in for 2 Weeks Leave + TAPS/GPS + 60 days Sep Leave.
That's how you do it.

now that is gangster

I ended up getting put on limdu, found unfit by the medboard, and walk out the door the exact same time my EAOS had been anyway, but with a shitload of disability pay in my pocket every month.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

KetTarma posted:

I'm definitely getting a med board in February. I've been told by my HM2 that "I'll probably be allowed to stay in" which is kind of laughable considering how hard they're trying to kick people out of the USNR. Either way, as long as I keep cheap healthcare I really don't care that much. I get 6 months of healthcare from my company each year (summers+90 days) so I guess I could pay for COBRA or something if the Navy gives me one final dick in the butt.

did you go to DTAP yet?
If you're found unfit >30% for a condition by the medboard, you'll be medically retired either PDRL or TDRL with Tricare.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ded posted:

Words or phrases that the Navy ruined for me :

Field day
Good deal
Hook you up
Party

"I got you" never ever means that they do "got you"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I used to work at a command that had reservists and for the several years I was at that command, at any given time there was like a dozen of those dudes who were failures in the real world desperately trying to get on active duty, suggesting to me that it is possible, but very difficult and based on a byzantine and arbitrary administrative quagmire of a process that makes the cost-to-benefit not worthwhile

If you're not in yet, hold out until you can get that active duty spot if you want to be active duty. I am pretty sure that if you can be a reserve CTN, though, you'd be getting the best of both worlds with regards to the school and clearance investigations and getting your certificates paid for, but also could go get a real job with all that stuff and make a boatload of money. Someone more knowledgeable about IT jobs and employment in the secret-squirrel contractor industry should advise you on that subject, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

Couldn't they have automated the process? Why is it a "day before" process?

Fact: Any time you come across some kind of administrative concern where even the tiniest bit of responsibility is yours to take care of, They have arranged it this way so that it is your fault when they gently caress you

• Locked thread