Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Edmund Honda posted:

Yeah it's a great car, I love it. I only used it for 6 months but it's great. No it doesn't run. Please pay me $5k.

Unless you are desperate for an AE86 and won't settle for a different car with less drift tax, I'd avoid it.

This is exactly what I'm getting at.

If he doesn't want to buck up to make it run again, I'm not going to spring for it, and I'm probably gonna go for that (very reasonably priced) RX7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
Just gotta check - you're not planning to buy a reasonably priced 80s Japanese coupe, hop it up on the weekends, and drive it to work/school during the week, right?

You need to budget for another car to actually drive while your babby is leaking something all over your driveway waiting for parts. And then you will end up wrenching on your DD too so your project car will move even slower. :toot: AI thug lyfe :toot:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Sperglord Firecock posted:

This is exactly what I'm getting at.

If he doesn't want to buck up to make it run again, I'm not going to spring for it, and I'm probably gonna go for that (very reasonably priced) RX7.

Yea, at a minimum the corolla is going to need the entire fuel system gone through. I can only imagine what 6 year old gas has done to anything it touched.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Alternately, if I wanna go with something hilarious and unsafe, I COULD get this.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/4697884017.html

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Holy poo poo, does it seriously track how many G's you're pulling? You need that.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

T1g4h posted:

Holy poo poo, does it seriously track how many G's you're pulling? You need that.

It apparently does.

I dunno how fast it is, or how well it turns. But that price....

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Who cares about performance? Check out that :krad: digital dash, man!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

T1g4h posted:

Who cares about performance? Check out that :krad: digital dash, man!

It is what we dreamed about when movies called the future 1995, after all.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If that runs and drives and isn't a horrible rusted piece of poo poo that isn't a bad price for a N/A 2+2

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
My main concern is that I want this car to be something to zip around in and do silly things in.

Can it do that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My main concern is that I want this car to be something to zip around in and do silly things in.

Can it do that?
In between dealing with the results of thirty years of previous owners doing exactly that, each with progressively lower standards of maintenance, yes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Can it do that?

It's a 160HP engine in a ~3000lb car. It's not going to be mindblowingly fast by any means, but it's RWD and 5 spd, so you could definitely have some fun with it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
okay so the ae88 guy got back to me

He's apparently fine with fixing it up and getting it completely ready to go for 400 bucks more.

What do. O.o

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

drat, was looking forward to that sci-fi dash.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

T1g4h posted:

To be clear, it's actually a G-force gauge for acceleration, not cornering... so it's even more insanely gimmicky on that thing.

I had a Z31 Turbo GLL with the digital package and while it was an OK good looking car at the time, it was heavy and not exactly reliable. Those digital dashes have a power supply under the dash which likes to frequently die and leave you with zero gauges. The computer/ignition system had issues too. Looks like the climate control is borked on that one too, probably due to him wiring in his awesome stereo.

I will guarantee that thing has rust issues inside the back deck under the carpet near the spare tire holder. No way something from Illinois wont.

That thing being a 2+2 NA would be awful, the only thing worse would be a slushbox.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
This might be a dumb question (note: it is a dumb question)....

But those cars that you see with the like grills covering the rear window? Is there any way to install those/do they come in parts/etc?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Louvers? Aftermarket but I have no idea how hard they are to get now. Can't imagine the market is all that big other than the mullet and rat-tail set.

Huge in the 80s and even early 90s a bit. After that? Not so much.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

slidebite posted:

Louvers? Aftermarket but I have no idea how hard they are to get now. Can't imagine the market is all that big other than the mullet and rat-tail set.

They're still making new ones for Mustangs. But- you covered that.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

I dunno, I think that they'd look good mounted on the back of a AE88.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you are trying to go for an all around 80s theme sure. Hell, I had louvers on my Z31 but now, almost 20 years later, I'd be lying if I said I thought it looked better with than without.

Whatever floats your boat.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just get some steel plate, cut it to fit, cut slots in it with a grinder, and hammer the metal out to whatever angle. Presto! Instant louvers.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
And then I can drive around with the windows down blasting Lazerhawk.

Because 80's music or 80's inspired music is the only thing that should be allowed to come out of an old 1980's car, IMO.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you're not constantly blasting 80s speed metal no matter what car you're driving, you're probably beyond salvation at this point tbf.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Fucknag posted:

If you're not constantly blasting 80s speed metal no matter what car you're driving, you're probably beyond salvation at this point tbf.

I'm sorry, but just listening to this song makes me want to break speed limits.

http://starcadian.bandcamp.com/track/spectrum-line

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I'm sorry, but just listening to this song makes me want to break speed limits.

http://starcadian.bandcamp.com/track/spectrum-line

Needs more Space Stallions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Otaq2tmNMM

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you're driving around in an 86, I think you have to listen to this at least once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

mariooncrack posted:

If you're driving around in an 86, I think you have to listen to this at least once:

Well yeah, that's just a given.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
Seriouspost: NA z31s can be pretty fun to drive if you refresh the suspension, do the intake and however much of the exhaust your local emissions allow, and advance the ignition timing. There's not a lot of HP there but the torque's good. Problem is that a couple of the suspension refresh things, namely replacing worn-out rubber bushings, are a fair bit of work. Once that's done, though, a z31 is at least as nice a drive as anything similar from the era. There's a fair bit of performance aftermarket available even if there isn't a lot of choice (the notable lack is a bolt-in intercooler kit, z31 intercooler piping is :smithicide:.) And if the car is purely for nice days/hooning around you can remove a ridiculous amount of stuff from it and simplify your life, too.

I have owned a handful of z31s now and getting and keeping them running is not hard. The motor and all of the transmission choices are pretty bulletproof unless you don't change the timing belt, you need one or two vacuum lines and a very few sensors to run the car, important parts are easy to come by, and they are not at all prone to overheating unless you do something really stupid or you don't know how to bleed a cooling system after working on it. Down side is that a lot of the ancillary electrics, like the headlights and climate control, can drive you nuts. In all likelihood a previous owner will have done something incredibly retarded attempting to install a stereo, electric fan, or HIDs and broken something. The power steering is designed to rust-proof the engine compartment and a lot of things in said engine compartment are designed to be serviced from under the car.

Also, it's a Japanese car from the 80s, so rust.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mariooncrack posted:

Super Euro Beat CD's are my driving music at all times :smug:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
So the guy with the $3000 RX7 sent me a video of it running.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B881wU6MO1N7ZVh4VlNJSTRMYjg/edit

Seems pretty good-sounding, although that shifter is awfully squeaky.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

So the guy with the $3000 RX7 sent me a video of it running.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B881wU6MO1N7ZVh4VlNJSTRMYjg/edit

Seems pretty good-sounding, although that shifter is awfully squeaky.

Sounds like it's the clutch pedal. Doesn't raise any alarms for me.
Probably get in there with some lube and squirt the pivot. Maybe replace the pedal bushings if you really want.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
New AE86 on Craigslist for Chicago.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4697983594.html

I betcha I can get it bumped down to 2k since he's going for OBO.

The rust on the body panels concerns me, but the fact that it's ugly doesn't.

As long as it tears poo poo up and the problems it does have are manageable, I'm willing to work on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just an FYI, it's pretty easy for someone that knows what they're doing to mask problems and get a car running good enough to sell it. Just because he gets it running doesn't mean you're in the clear, if you make it a mile down the road and it shits the bed it's your problem not his.

[edit] Holy Christ the other one is even worse no way I'd pay more than a grand for that

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

leica posted:

Just an FYI, it's pretty easy for someone that knows what they're doing to mask problems and get a car running good enough to sell it. Just because he gets it running doesn't mean you're in the clear, if you make it a mile down the road and it shits the bed it's your problem not his.

[edit] Holy Christ the other one is even worse no way I'd pay more than a grand for that

I fully understand the entire masking problems bit, s'why I'mma give it a pretty solid test drive afore leaving with it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Okay, I see a lot of things that are more worrying to me than rust.

• Gross rear end old brake fluid master cylinder. Probably needs new fluid & bleed.
  • Fuse box sticker doesn't look good. Probably indicative of general engine bay harm.
  • Lots of leaves all over the car, which promote rust and indicate that (like the owner says) the car spends a lot of time sitting.
  • Punched in passenger side rear quarter panel, doesn't look like it came from a car. I'd check to make sure that window is watertight and that the gas door opens. Also check the inside of the hatch for warped interior metal and broken seams.
  • Dunno what that's a bottle of lying in the passenger side floor, but it's open and looks like some kind of car chemical. Maybe brake fluid, which would be bad to spill on a carpet. McDonalds wrappers probably mean the car doesn't smell all that great either.
  • Front fenders both badly trashed. Drivers' side looks like a replacement fender (colour of the fender and flip-up light don't match the grille insert or the hood) which means that you're going to be looking inside the engine bay to figure out why the battery is crooked and if the interior metal is warped.
  • Obvious bright red wire leading into the firewall which indicates aftermarket audio, yet I see no evidence of it in the ragged hole in the interior shot. Where did it go? At least this will give you a good angle to fix the HVAC controls, assuming they don't work.
  • Door cards look pretty beat up. It's hard to find new interior parts for this car, probably even more so in this colour.
  • Adjustable front struts? Looks like the dust cap on the passenger side one is gone, but there's still one on the drivers' side one. Make sure they're the same kind of strut.
  • That drivers' side fender arch rust is bad. It will break off in huge chunks if even mildly tapped. If it's bad enough to be holed on the inside, I'd look inside the quarter panel with a flashlight to make sure the unibody isn't right behind it. This damage is beyond normal repair. You are going to have to pop that glass out and cut a quarter panel (or more) out of a donor car to fix it. You are looking at the purchase price of the car again to fix this properly.
  • Exposed cam gears are loving stupid. I bet a replacement timing cover is expensive or NLA. See if he still has it somewhere.
  • Recent radiator replacement, probably a Mishimoto or other Chinese brand. Figure out if it was replaced before or after a chronic overheating problem.
  • Do a compression test. That motor is not living in an environment that is conducive to meticulous treatment.
  • Alignment on some of the angle shots sure doesn't seem right. I'm guessing the front right has its little camber brains knocked out, maybe from a curb. Check for bent parts there, and if you buy it, get it on an alignment rack ASAP. I bet it drives like poo poo and is eating its tires.
  • Check the tires for condition. Depending on how long the car's been sitting there it might be time for some new ones. It is becoming hard to find decent tires in 14".

It looks like at some time someone threw some parts into this car, but I'm guessing it was a teenager who also slid it into a few things. You might have to do some cleaning up before you start to see the real horrors.

I'd look at everywhere that's hard to fix after a crash (paint blending and texture on the door opening is often extremely hard for hobbyists to get right, so check to make sure both door openings have the same texture and look about the same). You gotta get that hatch open - I bet that's where things fall apart for sure. You will probably find water in the spare tire well and maybe even a fun new black mould colony to make friends with.

This is a $600 rallycross car, and not even a charming one. There is maybe $1500 in parts here if you dismantle and flip it, which might make it a good second or third AE86 for an obsessive fan experienced with them.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 5, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Fair enough, I'mma drop that one like it's hot, then.

Again, if the guy up in Waukesha doesn't pull through adequately, there's still a perfectly functional RX7.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
I feel like the OP is possibly trolling us.

Of course, that's just based on the mixture of apathy, naïveté with a dash of ignorance I've seen so far. OP, if you want a car like what you're describing, you have two choices.

One, you spend a lot of cash. You will either spend it right away on the best example you can find or dumping money into a "bargain." Two, you do some more research on what car best fits your needs and taste, then learn it's quirks by researching some more. The other half of option two entails using your new-found research and knowledge to wrench on the car yourself and (hopefully) save a healthy pile of cash.

Although I am giving you some grief, it's because I get the impression that you don't care that much and are unaware of how buying a car with rose-colored glasses typically ends up. Pro tip: it doesn't go well even 50% of the time (I myself have probably gotten two or three genuinely decent cars amongst dozens of stinkers, even with due diligence). There will always be something else wrong that you never would've expected. However, you are doing the right thing by picking the brains of those who have been there before.

Good luck on your search.

Francis Baconator fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 5, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I swear I'm not trolling.

I'm young, naive, and inexperienced, but I'm willing to take advice on things and figure out stuff.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
5k to drop on a stupid project car to hoon around in and somehow neither the E36 or E30 has been mentioned. Shame on you AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

8ender posted:

5k to drop on a stupid project car to hoon around in and somehow neither the E36 or E30 has been mentioned. Shame on you AI.

ZE GERMANZ MUZZT STEP ON TIMEE!

He's gonna get given the Miata treatment first.

If there is anything left, the B/G/A body guys will defile whatever still remains.

• Locked thread