Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It'll be full of rot too probably, especially if it's been stored under the wrong kind of car cover or over the wrong kind of surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Okay, I see a lot of things that are more worrying to me than rust.

• Gross rear end old brake fluid master cylinder. Probably needs new fluid & bleed.
  • Fuse box sticker doesn't look good. Probably indicative of general engine bay harm.
  • Lots of leaves all over the car, which promote rust and indicate that (like the owner says) the car spends a lot of time sitting.
  • Punched in passenger side rear quarter panel, doesn't look like it came from a car. I'd check to make sure that window is watertight and that the gas door opens. Also check the inside of the hatch for warped interior metal and broken seams.
  • Dunno what that's a bottle of lying in the passenger side floor, but it's open and looks like some kind of car chemical. Maybe brake fluid, which would be bad to spill on a carpet. McDonalds wrappers probably mean the car doesn't smell all that great either.
  • Front fenders both badly trashed. Drivers' side looks like a replacement fender (colour of the fender and flip-up light don't match the grille insert or the hood) which means that you're going to be looking inside the engine bay to figure out why the battery is crooked and if the interior metal is warped.
  • Obvious bright red wire leading into the firewall which indicates aftermarket audio, yet I see no evidence of it in the ragged hole in the interior shot. Where did it go? At least this will give you a good angle to fix the HVAC controls, assuming they don't work.
  • Door cards look pretty beat up. It's hard to find new interior parts for this car, probably even more so in this colour.
  • Adjustable front struts? Looks like the dust cap on the passenger side one is gone, but there's still one on the drivers' side one. Make sure they're the same kind of strut.
  • That drivers' side fender arch rust is bad. It will break off in huge chunks if even mildly tapped. If it's bad enough to be holed on the inside, I'd look inside the quarter panel with a flashlight to make sure the unibody isn't right behind it. This damage is beyond normal repair. You are going to have to pop that glass out and cut a quarter panel (or more) out of a donor car to fix it. You are looking at the purchase price of the car again to fix this properly.
  • Exposed cam gears are loving stupid. I bet a replacement timing cover is expensive or NLA. See if he still has it somewhere.
  • Recent radiator replacement, probably a Mishimoto or other Chinese brand. Figure out if it was replaced before or after a chronic overheating problem.
  • Do a compression test. That motor is not living in an environment that is conducive to meticulous treatment.
  • Alignment on some of the angle shots sure doesn't seem right. I'm guessing the front right has its little camber brains knocked out, maybe from a curb. Check for bent parts there, and if you buy it, get it on an alignment rack ASAP. I bet it drives like poo poo and is eating its tires.
  • Check the tires for condition. Depending on how long the car's been sitting there it might be time for some new ones. It is becoming hard to find decent tires in 14".

It looks like at some time someone threw some parts into this car, but I'm guessing it was a teenager who also slid it into a few things. You might have to do some cleaning up before you start to see the real horrors.

I'd look at everywhere that's hard to fix after a crash (paint blending and texture on the door opening is often extremely hard for hobbyists to get right, so check to make sure both door openings have the same texture and look about the same). You gotta get that hatch open - I bet that's where things fall apart for sure. You will probably find water in the spare tire well and maybe even a fun new black mould colony to make friends with.

This is a $600 rallycross car, and not even a charming one. There is maybe $1500 in parts here if you dismantle and flip it, which might make it a good second or third AE86 for an obsessive fan experienced with them.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 5, 2014

• Locked thread