Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I'm talking to a guy right now and looking to pick it up from him when I get back home in about a month.

It's got the 4AGE Engine, some racing parts, and has apparently been kept in a garage under a car cover for about 6 years. I'm looking to get it, go fast, and blast techno music.

What kind of stuff should I look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Okay. So those are things to look out for. I haven't settled on buying it just yet, I just wanted to know what kind of stuff to look out for when I finally do get the chance to see it.

And I assume I need a better engine if I want to do silly fun stuff with it?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I got some pictures of the interior and of the engine.

Interior looks like it's in good shape, actually. Not sure what the second picture is showing, but it looks awful dusty.

As for the modifications he said he put on it, he gave a list of manufacturers but not really which parts.

In addition, he said he's adding in a free Poncam Camshafts still in the box that cost him 750, apparently, to get from Japan.

Edit: The LSD is the stock one, that's all the info I got.

fishception fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 1, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I was hesitant to post it up 'cause I didn't want someone sniping it. :<

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

TheLarson posted:

For the lazy...

*Stuff*

It looks like a coupe. That doesn't look terrible from the pics, but I'd definitely see the rest of the car before any judgements are made.

Yeah. What are some important parts to look for on it? Obv the dry rot issue, etc.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Can you even do that?

And I'd imagine just shipping alone would be way too expensive.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
That might very well be an option.

Does it run? Does it go fast? And is it in a state of not looking like a POS?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I'd love to get a two-seater, but I heard insurance on them is way more expensive than with coupes.

That Biturbo though. What kind of terrifying hellbeast would I be driving?

Also, I'll be in Chicago, that's a better place to look.

I'd really like a AE86, tbh, but if there's a neater light and zippy 4-cyl, I'm more than willing to compromise.

fishception fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 2, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Raluek posted:

I think "driving" might be a bit optimistic.

okay lemme just clarify this

i want to actually drive the car guys

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Huh, I always thought that 2-door two seaters costed more for insurance purposes. Oh well.

If that is the case, then the MR2 looks loving awesome as poo poo, to be honest. It's not only a mean engine, it's also cheaper, lighter, zippier, and looks pretty darn cool too.

Edit:

The only issue is, I've heard that MR2s have serious issues with rusting and corrosion on the electrical bits, and I'd rather have something a bit more reliable and practical, tbh.

fishception fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 2, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

mafoose posted:

You think an older car from the same make is going to be any better?

This is a valid point.

I just did some minor research with a guy who knows stuff, and apparently the problem lies in the body design of the MR2, where water just naturally collects in the engine compartment and rusts it pretty bad.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
But anyways, getting back on topic to the AE86, 'cause I really do still wanna get it, especially if it is as good as I hope it is.

A friend and his friend are gonna take a look at it and maybe test drive it this weekend, and report back to me.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Update from the guy:

"Yes. Last time I drove it (5 to 6 years ago) all was fine. I'm unsure how well it would run as the fuel in it has gone sour I'm sure. But if you want to bring a good battery we can get her going. All I can tell you is that you need to see the car. The motor, trans/ clutch, body, glass, LSD are all in good working order. Again I haven't drove it in a long time. The only reason for this is I bought a Grand National then another Grand National. At that point (having two GN's) I lost interest in the GTS so I parked it. I now have a 2010 GT500 so again I have no interest. I know I can get the car going and post videos on YouTube to aid in selling it. Videos of it revving out to 9K (oh it does) and drifting and all that. However that's not what I'm willing to do for two reasons. One is I work two jobs during the week 55+ total and on the weekend I repair automobiles in my driveway/ garage. So I just don't have time. Reason two is the big one. I know for a fact that if I did put time into this car I know I would not sell it. I would fall in love w/ it all over again. I've told myself many times I would never sell it. I bought it on E-Bay 7ish years ago for $5000 plus another $800 for freight/ hauling it to WI. I was worried about what I was getting and put a lot of trust into the "at the time" owner. Well when I got it was even better that I imagined and could have ever thought. I bought a set of new Konig wheels and a set of cams. Then six months or so later I popped on a Grand National. I didn't really even want to post pics of the car on Craig's list as I want to weed out "tire kickers". I feel that if someone is serious and wants to see the car at that time I will put the wrench down show her off and kiss her good bye. I want you or your friend to see the car and I will do whatever I can to address any concerns or questions. I think it would be best to bring a trailer as it has been sitting unattended for a long time. Don't let that scare you though. Its the real deal and there are no hidden surprises. As far as the price of the car Vs. the state its in right now. Well I don't have to sell it. I want to. Having said that I want what I feel I need to get to sell it. I hope we talk soon and I look forward to possibly meeting you. Thank you.

P.S. I have paper work of the original E-Bay post and so much more. To much more."

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Alright, so, 5.1k for a non-running AE88 is, really, kind of unacceptable.

So, here's my plan.

I'm going to offer him 400 dollars extra (bringing it to 5.5k) to bring it to a good solid working condition (it'd probably take me 1k to do it myself by estimates provided by TheLarson).

If he doesn't take that offer, I DO have another option, like a 300ZX or a Mazda RX-7.

The RX-7 actually seems pretty nice, 3.5k for a fully functional car with the 13B engine (which I have heard is the better engine by someone that owns one).

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4692504956.html

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

mafoose posted:

Hahahahahaha.

Dude, if you're not willing to take the time to learn how to work on it yourself, you need to reevaluate owning a "classic" Japanese car, especially one that needs work.

I'm fine with learning how to work on it myself.

I just have no plausible way to take it from Wisconsin to my house, and I don't want a car sitting in Wisconsin waiting for me to fix it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Raluek posted:

Borrow a truck? U-haul trailers are cheap.

..... this is a valid point, okay

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Edmund Honda posted:

Yeah it's a great car, I love it. I only used it for 6 months but it's great. No it doesn't run. Please pay me $5k.

Unless you are desperate for an AE86 and won't settle for a different car with less drift tax, I'd avoid it.

This is exactly what I'm getting at.

If he doesn't want to buck up to make it run again, I'm not going to spring for it, and I'm probably gonna go for that (very reasonably priced) RX7.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Alternately, if I wanna go with something hilarious and unsafe, I COULD get this.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/4697884017.html

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

T1g4h posted:

Holy poo poo, does it seriously track how many G's you're pulling? You need that.

It apparently does.

I dunno how fast it is, or how well it turns. But that price....

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

T1g4h posted:

Who cares about performance? Check out that :krad: digital dash, man!

It is what we dreamed about when movies called the future 1995, after all.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
My main concern is that I want this car to be something to zip around in and do silly things in.

Can it do that?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
okay so the ae88 guy got back to me

He's apparently fine with fixing it up and getting it completely ready to go for 400 bucks more.

What do. O.o

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
This might be a dumb question (note: it is a dumb question)....

But those cars that you see with the like grills covering the rear window? Is there any way to install those/do they come in parts/etc?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

Louvers? Aftermarket but I have no idea how hard they are to get now. Can't imagine the market is all that big other than the mullet and rat-tail set.

Huge in the 80s and even early 90s a bit. After that? Not so much.

I dunno, I think that they'd look good mounted on the back of a AE88.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
And then I can drive around with the windows down blasting Lazerhawk.

Because 80's music or 80's inspired music is the only thing that should be allowed to come out of an old 1980's car, IMO.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Fucknag posted:

If you're not constantly blasting 80s speed metal no matter what car you're driving, you're probably beyond salvation at this point tbf.

I'm sorry, but just listening to this song makes me want to break speed limits.

http://starcadian.bandcamp.com/track/spectrum-line

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

mariooncrack posted:

If you're driving around in an 86, I think you have to listen to this at least once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU

Well yeah, that's just a given.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
So the guy with the $3000 RX7 sent me a video of it running.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B881wU6MO1N7ZVh4VlNJSTRMYjg/edit

Seems pretty good-sounding, although that shifter is awfully squeaky.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
New AE86 on Craigslist for Chicago.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4697983594.html

I betcha I can get it bumped down to 2k since he's going for OBO.

The rust on the body panels concerns me, but the fact that it's ugly doesn't.

As long as it tears poo poo up and the problems it does have are manageable, I'm willing to work on it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

leica posted:

Just an FYI, it's pretty easy for someone that knows what they're doing to mask problems and get a car running good enough to sell it. Just because he gets it running doesn't mean you're in the clear, if you make it a mile down the road and it shits the bed it's your problem not his.

[edit] Holy Christ the other one is even worse no way I'd pay more than a grand for that

I fully understand the entire masking problems bit, s'why I'mma give it a pretty solid test drive afore leaving with it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Fair enough, I'mma drop that one like it's hot, then.

Again, if the guy up in Waukesha doesn't pull through adequately, there's still a perfectly functional RX7.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I swear I'm not trolling.

I'm young, naive, and inexperienced, but I'm willing to take advice on things and figure out stuff.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

ZE GERMANZ MUZZT STEP ON TIMEE!

He's gonna get given the Miata treatment first.

If there is anything left, the B/G/A body guys will defile whatever still remains.

I reaaaaally don't wanna get a Miata.

Mostly because although I know that they are neat and zippy little cars, I still need a measure of practicality and an AE86 or an RX7 at least has a back-seat/trunk to put stuff in.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

TWSS posted:

You have a great opportunity to get a real classic that is only going to appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4UQ8OsF2dM&t=432s

That's a very good point, and plus, it's not really a classic car that I want to sit in a garage.

I wanna go do some Autocross stuff with it, although I really don't want to push it too hard. Just enough to have some fun, which shouldn't be hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

leica posted:

OP have you considered the new F150? You can autocross it on the way back from Home Depot.

There are few things in life I hate more than driving pickup trucks.e

• Locked thread