Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

This is a valid point.

I just did some minor research with a guy who knows stuff, and apparently the problem lies in the body design of the MR2, where water just naturally collects in the engine compartment and rusts it pretty bad.

Main rust problems with the AW11 (the Mk1 MR2 you're looking at there) is that the rear arches and sills are badly designed so will trap water and rust.

There are two types of AW11 - ones that have the arches repaired, and ones that will need it doing soon!

Some body parts can be hard to come by: the front air dam for example is NLA so if it's cracked then you will need to deal with it.

I also had problems with mine where the front crossmember rusted out so it looked like the car was drooling brown goo, but that might've just been that it sat for about six years on a UK driveway before I had it ;)

I must clarify: It was an absolutely fantastic car though, nicely quirky. More interesting than a Miata but more difficult to get bits for. Toyota still have a lot of parts available however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread