Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

I think you used to be able to request BAH protection in that case. No idea if that still exists. By the way I'm still planning on sending you what you had asked for.

Also I thought with the M-world there was always a huge concern about industry interference if you didn't move people relatively frequently? I remember that was definitely a thing that was brought up about ITB/Steam boats in Minnesota constantly.

Hmm, I'll have to check with the YN's about that-never even knew it was an option.

Regarding industry interference, in houston and at my current work, that isn't even touched on. We have the normal ethics training, and people always talk about civilian workers being a double-edged sword because 1) you get the longevity and someone that knows wtf is going on, but 2) you get some guys that are too cozy with industry and let poo poo slide, which makes it really hard when you're trying to do your job the right way only to be yelled at by industry saying 'that ain't how how does our inspection!!!'

Regardless, I dunno if the MST's are much of a concern anyways-they've been pushing them out of inspections so much, it's pretty ridiculous. They help officers out with inspections, but mainly facilities/waterways/pollution response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

Hmm, I'll have to check with the YN's about that-never even knew it was an option.

Regarding industry interference, in houston and at my current work, that isn't even touched on. We have the normal ethics training, and people always talk about civilian workers being a double-edged sword because 1) you get the longevity and someone that knows wtf is going on, but 2) you get some guys that are too cozy with industry and let poo poo slide, which makes it really hard when you're trying to do your job the right way only to be yelled at by industry saying 'that ain't how how does our inspection!!!'

Regardless, I dunno if the MST's are much of a concern anyways-they've been pushing them out of inspections so much, it's pretty ridiculous. They help officers out with inspections, but mainly facilities/waterways/pollution response.

Check the Pay Policies & Procedures manual which should be on PPC's website. I wouldn't ask the yeomen until you review the policy yourself as they're unlikely to look up what the policy actually says and will just tell you no, as is the typical yeoman response. I have no idea what it says about your situation, but I know what it was designed to do, which is to protect people from losing money in the same geographical region or if they're geo-bachelor. I also know that it's pretty rarely invoked, probably because most people don't know it exists.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
So how long before yn's go away. All the yn's at my station seem to do is screw up the ne guys pay. Hail peoplesoft.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

So how long before yn's go away. All the yn's at my station seem to do is screw up the ne guys pay. Hail peoplesoft.

Too long. They serve no purpose at this point. The lovely thing is that if they close that rating down they'll try to merge it back into SK which is a bad idea.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Happy new years eve assholes. I hate each and every one of you Krispy cream eating fucks. Especially you noble fucks. Have a happy new year and dont drink yourselves to death if I have to go to one more alcohol related death briefing ill probably be the one after. In short kill yourself.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Had a dude call us on ch16 to wish us a happy new year. He also sounded drunk as hell.

Oh bay area :allears:

Edit: Happy new radio new year you filthy animals

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 1, 2015

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ADM Z was here today...I like him more than Papp.

A few notes:

1) He isn't looking to cut any more billets due to budget issues; instead, he will cut operations first

2) He doesn't want BM's going for OIC review boards to stress about SK/budget stuff, the board should focus on operational items. With that, he said our Core Accounting System is antiquated and too many people have access to it. He wants to get a new system and limit the amount of people that have it and centralize location of SK's (didn't you mention this earlier, KK?)

3) He's having OPM/EPM look at more units where tours can be extended. He wants this for three reasons: 1) less hardship on families moving around 2) more technical expertise benefitting the unit (ex: you get trained as a tactical coxswain, so the unit gets an extra year out of you 3) money.

1 and 2 surprised me, as I figured this guy was going to go along with 'doing more with less', but he seems to be quite a bit different than what I remember from Papp, which is a great thing in my opinion. Granted, he could just be giving people the company line, but he's a hell of a lot more personable than Papp was...though maybe that's just because he was this old dude with no hair anywhere which kinda weirded me out.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Extending billets with training would be great, especially since some stuff, like Hvy Wx Coxswain can take a long time ontop of the normal stuff.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

Extending billets with training would be great, especially since some stuff, like Hvy Wx Coxswain can take a long time ontop of the normal stuff.

Completely agree. In hindsight, even though I was ready to get the gently caress out of the station after only 3 years, it was such a waste to short-tour me because I pinned on second.

Of course, it's easy to say that for some units. It's a completely different story when you're a Marine Inspector that has to do another loving year in the gulf because your quals are holding you there and your family is ready to leave you because they hate the place.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Effort post: TL;DR the guy is probably full of poo poo, or at least not being honest about actual motivations.

nwin posted:

ADM Z was here today...I like him more than Papp.

A few notes:

1) He isn't looking to cut any more billets due to budget issues; instead, he will cut operations first

That'd be interesting to see. I also don't believe it'll happen. The only times I ever saw reduction in ops was during austerity/contingency ops. Maybe there's some hope for those of you still in, though. FY16 budget submissions will be coming soon, so look for this change in mentality there. It'll probably be conspicuously absent.

quote:

2) He doesn't want BM's going for OIC review boards to stress about SK/budget stuff, the board should focus on operational items. With that, he said our Core Accounting System is antiquated and too many people have access to it. He wants to get a new system and limit the amount of people that have it and centralize location of SK's (didn't you mention this earlier, KK?)

This is some high level pandering to low-level leadership and deck-plate retards that don't understand what the "problem" is. The drive for Audit Readiness and an unqualified opinion from an audit group isn't going to suddenly disappear and relieve boatswain's mates from accountability issues. It may dislocate the problem, and more than likely make life even harder for them in normal ops. No argument re: CAS, but I would say that terrible as it may be it's infinitely better than what I use for my job now, so these folks may want to chew on that before they just ditch that system.

As far as the centralization concept rearing its ugly head again, I'm gonna laugh when it blows up in everyone's face. The absolute worst thing you can do with SKs is take them out of the field. My independent duty tours were my best, and the places where I felt like I accomplished the most. I was not far removed from the people I worked with or the logistical needs I supported. I was familiar with the platforms, and was willing to qual as necessary to augment the duty section.

That's not every SK's attitude, and I recognize that, but HQ enabled that attitude by strictly defining what would be expected of Support Petty Officers. Basically what I'm getting at is imagine CSD/PSC how they currently are when you need something done with CGDN/Travel and that's what you're going to get from centralizing SKs. There are ways to make it easier to deal with it, but you can't make people care that are thousands of miles away.

Sorry guys, I can't help but write about this because it's what I did, and to some extent what I still do professionally as a civilian. This, "I don't want my BMs to stress about SK/Budget stuff" mentality just signals to me that OICs are still going to be treated as second-rate commands and that the HQ attitude toward them is basically "Well shucks, those enlisted people just can't handle that gosh-darned complicated management of their own money."

This only validates my decision to leave even more, centralization will either ruin the SK rating, or condemn it to consolidation with YN. Either way that's a net negative for the fleet. This is the opposite direction than the one the Coast Guard should be taking on the subject. Too bad for you guys, I guess.

quote:

3) He's having OPM/EPM look at more units where tours can be extended. He wants this for three reasons: 1) less hardship on families moving around 2) more technical expertise benefitting the unit (ex: you get trained as a tactical coxswain, so the unit gets an extra year out of you 3) money.

This change is and always will be about money first and foremost. No one at the top actually cares about 1, number 2 is tangential and unproven, and to aim for 2 you have to acknowledge that sometimes you just end up with a dirtbag longer, and 3, again, is the priority. The Surf and HWX stations would be the chief beneficiaries here.

quote:

1 and 2 surprised me, as I figured this guy was going to go along with 'doing more with less', but he seems to be quite a bit different than what I remember from Papp, which is a great thing in my opinion. Granted, he could just be giving people the company line, but he's a hell of a lot more personable than Papp was...though maybe that's just because he was this old dude with no hair anywhere which kinda weirded me out.

I appreciated Papp for being honest. I'm cynical, but I'm not jaded anymore. I've heard all these same promises from Loy, to Collins, to Allen, to Papp. The only one that accomplished the important poo poo he was after was Papp, and they were changes just about nobody liked. You want your proof? Read the FY16 request. If you don't see serious movement to drop mission requirements or optempo, do not believe what's being peddled.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hey whats going on in the CG recenly?

Never mind...

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Two of the guys I Was stationed with last are cops here, first thing I did was check to see if it was them, thankfully it wasn't. Thankfully also the cop that did get shot (in the back, no less) is stable.

I made a joke on the CG Meme's page which BLEW UP with people getting super infuriated.

edit: word on the street from some folks around here is the shooter was down in VA, and was an IT being discharged (no consensus if it was a tour is up discharge or a get the gently caress out discharge). His ex (a girl and a coastie) moved in with another girl coastie and were shacking up, and thats why he came back shooting.

This terminal lance is accurate, I can only imagine we'll find out in the coming weeks: http://terminallance.com/2012/01/23/terminal-lance-174-breaking-news/

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Sounds about right for an IT.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

krispykremessuck posted:

RIGHT!?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

All ITs i know are a bunch of nerds that have wives and kids. Its kinda sad really.

Speaking of bad things.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

All ITs i know are a bunch of nerds that have wives and kids. Its kinda sad really.

Speaking of bad things.

I just saw that. Of all the things to go after, SFO Grand Haven? Probably a disgruntled mariner that missed his TWIC renewal appointment.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
ffffffff bm erats :argh:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crash74 posted:

ffffffff bm erats :argh:

Should have taken the paper tests while you still had a chance. ERATS are crazy hard, even if you're given the references. Ctrl+f is your friend, but you still need to know which manual the stuff will be in.

Dunno how it works with BM tests, but if all your references are on a CD, ask the ESO if you can set up your desktop how you want it prior to taking the test and organize all the references in a way that makes sense to you.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Is ERATs the new EOCT/pracs system?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Is ERATs the new EOCT/pracs system?

yep. Basically there are two types of test given now.

MST's do the ERAT, where everything including the test is online. There's a website which links to the different CFR's and COMDT instructions but you take the test online. The other one (RAT) is it's still a paper test, but you are given a CD with all the references on it.

The MST one sucks because it's a bank of 10000 questions or something crazy and it's never the same test (like before you had 3 versions of the test and that was it, so you could remember some questions if you sucked and had to keep taking the tests). As a result, there are generally more questions on all the tests and they are more in depth since 'YOU HAVE THE ANSWERS RIGHT THERE'. The OS one requires something like a 95% to pass so you can miss 2 or 3 questions total. Some of the MK ones were around 70% to pass.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

yep. Basically there are two types of test given now.

MST's do the ERAT, where everything including the test is online. There's a website which links to the different CFR's and COMDT instructions but you take the test online. The other one (RAT) is it's still a paper test, but you are given a CD with all the references on it.

The MST one sucks because it's a bank of 10000 questions or something crazy and it's never the same test (like before you had 3 versions of the test and that was it, so you could remember some questions if you sucked and had to keep taking the tests). As a result, there are generally more questions on all the tests and they are more in depth since 'YOU HAVE THE ANSWERS RIGHT THERE'. The OS one requires something like a 95% to pass so you can miss 2 or 3 questions total. Some of the MK ones were around 70% to pass.

Hahahahahaha.

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
In my coastie days, I wrote press releases for a living. I wihs I could have written a release in this style.

http://gcaptain.com/australian-lunatics-narrowly-avert-death-off-nantucket/

quote:

Lunatics, a-holes, idiots… whatever you want to call them…

In January, Reg and Jason McGlashan paid USD $10,000 for the 43-foot sailboat Sedona off eBay with the intention of sailing her to Australia less than two months later.

“We’ve never done anything like this. Dad’s not even a sailor, but he’s a quick study,” said Jason McGlashan in an interview with the Newport Daily News in early February. “We’ve got plenty of food, plenty of booze, good sails and all the safety gear you could ever need, so we’re going to be OK.”

Spoiler alert: it didn't work out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

every sailboat owner ever posted:

We’ve never done anything like this. Dad’s not even a sailor, but he’s a quick study,” said Jason McGlashan in an interview with the Newport Daily News in early February. “We’ve got plenty of food, plenty of booze, good sails and all the safety gear you could ever need, so we’re going to be OK.

lmao what a bunch of idiots

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I hear y'all are not getting paid, maybe?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

So I hear y'all are not getting paid, maybe?

Haven't heard anything official from my chain or anywhere else, still would have to go to watch regardless.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

Haven't heard anything official from my chain or anywhere else, still would have to go to watch regardless.

I'm just seeing lots of stuff flying around facebook.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eh who knows. Same thing comes up with containing budget resolutions for all of the military. Hopefully nothing will come of it, or at least usaa continues to pay us like they always say they will with all of DOD when it happens.

Haven't heard anything from the COC yet either, maybe next week we will if it continues.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

You guys funded through February, or what? When the debt ceiling bullshit was going on I seem to remember them basically waiting until last minute because nobody from the top down thought it was going to happen. Same with the shut down that ended up happening.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is the coast guard still basically impossible to get into? I'm an EMT who's gonna be a firefighter in a few months and has a college degree and I'm willing to enlist instead of doing OCS because fuckit, the job market sucks dick as it is.

My credit sucks horribly, if that matters though, thanks student loans and layoffs.

E: Was trying to get police jobs for ages and kept up with the PT until a minor knee injury, if that helps at all. Also taught Krav Maga for two years and boxed for most of a decade.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is the coast guard still basically impossible to get into? I'm an EMT who's gonna be a firefighter in a few months and has a college degree and I'm willing to enlist instead of doing OCS because fuckit, the job market sucks dick as it is.

My credit sucks horribly, if that matters though, thanks student loans and layoffs.

E: Was trying to get police jobs for ages and kept up with the PT until a minor knee injury, if that helps at all. Also taught Krav Maga for two years and boxed for most of a decade.

See a recruiter. There was a message that came out maybe less than a year ago that was saying we're still actively recruiting amidst rumors that we are not.

The panel just met for OCS, but you can get your packet together now and be good to go before the next due date.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

See a recruiter.

And keep trying, since you're bound to get shot down a couple times. A knee injury and bad credit on their own aren't necessarily enough to keep you out, and maybe enlisting with a degree would make up for that. You need to remember though that the people you're competing with are going to be idiots enlisting with Master's degrees who are in perfect health AND haven't ruined their credit.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

Master's degrees ... haven't ruined their credit.

I really doubt this, i was pretty lucky to get in with almost no debt at all.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

We have one on board. This retard can not even remember to stand by a fire plug during a drill but is getting a command endorsement for OCS.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

We have one on board. This retard can not even remember to stand by a fire plug during a drill but is getting a command endorsement for OCS.

Perfect for the officer corps then.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Rise from the dead you miserable thread.

Got weighted in today, lost 10 pounds since October, I will probably lose 10 more and be under my weight limit. :boom:

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

17% mother fuckers. Next time I get the geriatric 24%. Get off my lawn.:corsair:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Rise from the dead you miserable thread.

Got weighted in today, lost 10 pounds since October, I will probably lose 10 more and be under my weight limit. :boom:

you had to lose 20 lbs to get under your max??

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

technically 14, but I always made tape so who cares???

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

Look at skiny here. Displacement machine says im at 11% coast guard says 17% max alowable is 208 im 256. So science says im in pretty drat good shape and the guard says im getting there. Max allowable is stupid tape everyone or get a physical fitness test. I havent made weight since the old adjustable max alowable days when I could weigh 290. That and I watch a fat gently caress SK1 get taped wearing what was obviously a sliming device. Bitch should have to get taped across the navel like the guys gently caress her being embarrassed. Should have to meet male bodyfat standards to. We would have a lot less pizza the huts walking around in admin buildings.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I was just asking calm down

• Locked thread