Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

8 people, and two of them are also OS2s. It aint as big of a group as other rates have but its something I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Looks like I'm going to England.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Melthir posted:

Congrats, dude.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
enjoy knifecrime island. say hello to the queen for me

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

Sounds like it should be a cool experience at least. MK I'm guessing?

Just heard that now if you're above the cut for E-7, it's going to be a requirement to go to Chief's Academy prior to putting on the anchors :chiefsay: .

We're so loving Navy and we don't even know it-isn't that what they do with Navy365 or whatever the gently caress they call it?

edit: Oh, and now doing your PCS travel claim through TPAX is going to be a thing...because really, the YN's had one loving job after they disposed of all their other duties, so they decided to stop doing the one travel claim they had to do, so now it will be on you. I guess they do weigh-ins and bitch about that 2 months out of the year.

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 20, 2015

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

nwin posted:

Sounds like it should be a cool experience at least. MK I'm guessing?

Just heard that now if you're above the cut for E-7, it's going to be a requirement to go to Chief's Academy prior to putting on the anchors :chiefsay: .

We're so loving Navy and we don't even know it-isn't that what they do with Navy365 or whatever the gently caress they call it?

edit: Oh, and now doing your PCS travel claim through TPAX is going to be a thing...because really, the YN's had one loving job after they disposed of all their other duties, so they decided to stop doing the one travel claim they had to do, so now it will be on you. I guess they do weigh-ins and bitch about that 2 months out of the year.

Yeah trying to get qualls done before I go going to try and make MKC while over there and then start on a W package.

gently caress YNs terminate there lovely rate and fold them into FS and fix our cook problem. Took them 3 months to get my MK3 his Bah and thats after the YNC stepped in I'm going to members responsibility their loving shower next time until late they fix it.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

You know what I retract my earlier drunken statement. gently caress lazy YNs the 4% who actually do something are amazing.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

they're gonna roll it into sk dude. I'm so glad I left

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Melthir posted:

gently caress YNs terminate there lovely rate and fold them into FS and fix our cook problem make breakfast so much worser.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

gently caress it. They will either learn, get out or make use of the suicide hotline. Can't be any worse than these retards we have joining for the bonus. Retards are retards.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

gently caress it. They will either learn, get out or make use of the suicide hotline. Can't be any worse than these retards we have joining for the bonus. Retards are retards.

yes it can. it can always be worse

Crash74
May 11, 2009
dont burn the eggs yn1

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

yes it can. it can always be worse

We had a cook who didn't was his hands. His girlfriend was a well known BAH hunter, divorced from two different coasties one was still at the station to the north. She had and possibly still had multiple STDs.....and he got caught knuckle deep....twice. Also had acne really really bad and would absent mindedly pick. loving disgusting. Was so happy when he got out.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

45k bonus!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Crash74 posted:

45k bonus!

is that what its up to for cooks now

Crash74
May 11, 2009
That was like 2-3 years ago, think its only 25-30k right now. Saw where mk is getting 9k.. So hopefully the cash will start creaping to other non bad rates soon.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 24, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
So I have a mostly useless undergrad, I'm a firefighter / hazardous materials technician but I'm not paid to do those things. I am more interested in operations and management than the actual technician work, but enjoy all of it. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the hole of being trained but not experienced outside some pill counting and ems jobs. Mostly I'm a guy who is voluntarily between careers and wants a mid level supervisory tier job, but I'm also married with a house and poo poo so welp.

Today I got it in my head to look at military side of the disaster response / preparedness / safety and inspection career path instead of the civilian side, and I know coast guard does a bunch of that stuff. I don't want to talk to a recruiter yet because my experience when I was considering enlisting before is that recruiters are more persistent than debt collectors once they have your info.

I realize everyone is generally salty about their .mil jobs but if you don't mind humoring me, do jobs in environmental protection and hazmat safety and such exist at the officer level in the CG? How about for reservists? Should I just pursue a highly competitive GS job harder? Is this complete idiot thinking?

I realize this is a thread for guys who are already in but I don't see a recruitment / questions for dudes who have not made decisions yet thread.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 13, 2015

Rbear
Jul 30, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

So I have a mostly useless undergrad, I'm a firefighter / hazardous materials technician but I'm not paid to do those things. I am more interested in operations and management than the actual technician work, but enjoy all of it. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the hole of being trained but not experienced outside some pill counting and ems jobs. Mostly I'm a guy who is voluntarily between careers and wants a mid level supervisory tier job, but I'm also married with a house and poo poo so welp.

Today I got it in my head to look at military side of the disaster response / preparedness / safety and inspection career path instead of the civilian side, and I know coast guard does a bunch of that stuff. I don't want to talk to a recruiter yet because my experience when I was considering enlisting before is that recruiters are more persistent than debt collectors once they have your info.

I realize everyone is generally salty about their .mil jobs but if you don't mind humoring me, do jobs in environmental protection and hazmat safety and such exist at the officer level in the CG? How about for reservists? Should I just pursue a highly competitive GS job harder? Is this complete idiot thinking?

I realize this is a thread for guys who are already in but I don't see a recruitment / questions for dudes who have not made decisions yet thread.

I would recommend against enlisting. If you do, expect a couple of years of being a non rate and being treated like poo poo while making little money. The Marine Science Technician seems like it might be a good job, but the wait for it I think is couple years long. You are better off trying to go Officer or even better, getting a GS job. With a GS job you would at least have options to move to a different job later on at your discretion. There are officer paths that deal with environmental and ship inspections, but noble career paths are still a mystery to me. I would at least expect a year as an ensign on a cutter as a big probability. With a degree, your best bet would probably be getting a civilian job with uscg or noaa.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Go talk to a recruiter. The relationship between recruiters and potential recruits for the CG is usually inverted from your past experience. Especially if you're a white male. Do not enlist.

RE: Civil Service - veteran's preference can help you get your foot in the door, but unless you're planning on going Civil Service for the CG, your experience may not be as portable as you would probably like to think. If you're already considering this path as some part in the future, just start now. Start applying -- the veteran's preference thing isn't as big of a deal as people want to make it (unless you're talking about a VRA which is non-competitive). Look for career ladder positions that you're interested in. This will pay off far more down the road if you start early than taking a commission or committing the heinous crime of enlisting with a degree.

It sounds to me like you want to walk in the door as someone's boss, which is a recipe for disaster.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Gonna jump in here. I was GS at HQ, but we moved for family reasons. I'm considering the reserve route now, because I miss that job and we have a number of billets open nearby at Eliz. City or Portsmouth. I actually tried to do AFROTC in college but was advised against it at the time since I'd taken antidepressants in high school (that's not an issue anymore and I'm 31). I thinking (hoping) that with my experience in the GS equivalent of storekeeper or yeoman, I could qualify at the least for the Direct Entry PO program and hopefully qualify E4.

My only issue at this point is how selective things are right now. Not that CG is facing the draw down the other branches are facing, but it's a small force and I assume I'll need to stand out in some way. I'm physically ready right now and frankly I should have done this when I was working GS.

Anyone else gone in this route?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

De Nomolos posted:

Gonna jump in here. I was GS at HQ, but we moved for family reasons. I'm considering the reserve route now, because I miss that job and we have a number of billets open nearby at Eliz. City or Portsmouth. I actually tried to do AFROTC in college but was advised against it at the time since I'd taken antidepressants in high school (that's not an issue anymore and I'm 31). I thinking (hoping) that with my experience in the GS equivalent of storekeeper or yeoman, I could qualify at the least for the Direct Entry PO program and hopefully qualify E4.

My only issue at this point is how selective things are right now. Not that CG is facing the draw down the other branches are facing, but it's a small force and I assume I'll need to stand out in some way. I'm physically ready right now and frankly I should have done this when I was working GS.

Anyone else gone in this route?

They still have the direct entry program? I've never known anyone that went in that way.

So are you going to try and get a GS job down in elizabeth city and also drill at one of those units as a reservist?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Paramemetic posted:

Speaking mainly from the Officer's side of things...yes there are jobs which you could work on the management side of those things, but it's very niche and not at all guaranteed. The other thing to look at is, unless you want to do a couple years for some experience and then get out, you're going to have to make yourself well-rounded in that career path to stay competitive to get your 20 years in.

So yeah, jobs in environmental protection and hazmat do exist-one route you might consider is going OCS-then trying to get a Response-Ashore job lined up, either working in the Incident Management Division (IMD) (Pollution response and being a representative of the Federal On Scene Coodinator during major spills) or getting a job on one of the Strike Teams (Atlantic, Pacific, or Gulf) where you deploy to major spills and are on call. With these, like I said, it's niche, and you would be expected to fulfill other duties. Like if you went IMD at a Sector, you're not just managing the pollution division; they'll expect you to qualify in the Command Center as the Operations Unit or Command Duty Officer, both of which are required in that specific career path.

For reservists it's a complete crapshoot as an Officer-you're essentially just trying to manage the reservists and you will rarely if ever utilize your qualifications but instead ensure that your personnel are getting qualified.

It seems more likely that if you went for a GS Job, your position description would enable you to take a much more direct line at what your job is. None of the Officer stuff to deal with and collateral duties-instead you do your main job. Not too sure of any CG-related jobs that would offer HAZMAT, etc., like you are looking for though.

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 15, 2015

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

nwin posted:

They still have the direct entry program? I've never known anyone that went in that way.

So are you going to try and get a GS job down in elizabeth city and also drill at one of those units as a reservist?

1. It's listed on the recruiting website. I've talked to a recruiter and they also mentioned it.

2. No. I'm no longer GS. I like my private sector civilian job I have currently in another city in Virginia. I want to apply for a reserve billet at Portsmouth or Elizabeth City.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

I thinking (hoping) that with my experience in the GS equivalent of storekeeper or yeoman

What was your series? 03XX, 05XX, 11XX? I was a Storekeeper for 11 years, and it was never open for direct PO entry, and I've known precisely one YN1 to come in direct-entry, and he was a yeoman in the Navy that did a lateral service transfer. Were I you, I wouldn't pin my hopes, prayers, or aspirations on that. To state this most simply: Direct-entry would have to be endorsed by the RFMC as well as the manning bean-counters in Topeka. I've been out for a few years at this point, but I feel confident in saying that while those aren't insurmountable problems, the likelihood that you specifically bring something to the table that the RFMC would want to go to bat for a direct entry reservist is very, very slim. Storekeeper specifically as a rating was never undermanned on the reserve or active component side while I was in, and I really, really doubt it would be now.

That said:

De Nomolos posted:

1. It's listed on the recruiting website. I've talked to a recruiter and they also mentioned it.

2. No. I'm no longer GS. I like my private sector civilian job I have currently in another city in Virginia. I want to apply for a reserve billet at Portsmouth or Elizabeth City.

1. Lots of things are listed on the recruiting site. You worked at HQ for how many years? Have you checked if direct entry actually applies to the Storekeeper rating? I don't mean checking with a recruiter. I mean checking actual policies and procedures manuals? I'm rusty on instruction numbers, but accessions used to be under COMDINST M1000.2, so you'll want to check there, or its equivalent. It will likely cover the entire process and accession authority that would allow you to enter directly as a Petty Officer.

2. What paygrade is the reserve billet at E. City?

e: Not to say you shouldn't try, but you should know what you're up against.

COMDTINST M1100.2F 6.E.2:

quote:

Storekeeper (SK)
3 or More (Years Experience)
High school or business school graduate.

Full-time business or accounting experience in such positions or fields as supply chain management, inventory management, logistics, data transcriber, supply clerk, purchasing agent, contracting officer, or accounts payable clerk (or may substitute at least two years of full-time experience, plus one year – 36 quarter-hours – of college-level study in a related field).

The sticking point here will be your job title/PD while you were at HQ -- specifically related to the last two numbers of your series. If you were an XX01 series, it's probably going to be harder to explain the nexus between your series and the supply chain management, etc. unless your PD is/was very specifically related to those subjects. Also this program carries a minimum age requirement of 27.

If you meet all those requirements and for some reason still want to be a Storekeeper, then by all means: apply.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 15, 2015

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

I do meet for all that, but I am still gathering my information here. If it doesn't work out, it's fine. I may look at the Naval Reserve as well. I get that Reserve billets in my area probably aren't that hard to fill. I'm just ready to serve, but still keep my current civ job. I just don't want to sell myself short on rate.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Not selling yourself short on a rating would be picking an actual no-poo poo thinking rating, like IS, IT, ET or AET. If you've got the ASVAB to be in any of those ratings, why go SK? What part of being a Storekeeper (or Yeoman) do you think you'll like? The cold reality of being a reservist is that short of deployments, you're never going to be left in charge of anything or really left to work on anything except for things people trust can't be hosed up, or GMT. Mostly GMT. I used to have like 10 reserve SKs that I was in charge of creating projects for.

The prior active duty guys got some real work depending on what they'd dealt with while they were active. The pure reservists, including some civil service folks got filing tasks or inventory. Essentially, sit in the corner and color. If it was during their two-weeks and I was going to be around a bunch to supervise them I might let them have a shot at accounts-reconciliation, but even then I was there hand-holding them every second of the day, and definitely not because I wanted to or because it was my style of management.

Working at headquarters gave you a taste of the Coast Guard, and likely a super-idealized taste. The field, especially on the military side looks a lot different while you're wearing the blue suit. If you don't want to sell yourself short, my advice would be to investigate commissioning opportunities prior to any enlistment opportunities. If you're looking for a bigger-picture type career with some mid-level management experience, that's likely your best bet.

Listen, I don't want to come across as the guy telling you not to join up if that's what you think is the right thing to do. If it really is, there are better opportunities to serve within the Coast Guard. Consider all your options, and don't lock yourself into a bad rating because that's the closest thing you can peg your experience to. Especially if it's something silly like: I don't want to go to bootcamp.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Id never think that whatever I'd do WOULDN'T involve bootcamp. That's silly. Commissioning in CG would require (likely) medical background or prior service from what I understand. I'd love to take the ASVAB and score high for IS. I got the job doing SK work after getting laid off in 2010 and it was the best thing ever to get that, but it wasn't my dream or anything. I'm still doing my research on all this. And yes, HQ did probably give me a skewed view (best job environment I've ever had, miss it all the time) and yes I figured it would make sense to seek a rate similar to my GS job. Are you saying that's not the best way to approach? Is my approach too narrow?

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 15, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Id never think that whatever I'd do WOULDN'T involve bootcamp. That's silly. Commissioning in CG would require (likely) medical background or prior service from what I understand. I'd love to take the ASVAB and score high for IS. I got the job doing SK work after getting laid off in 2010 and it was the best thing ever to get that, but it wasn't my dream or anything. I'm still doing my research on all this. And yes, HQ did probably give me a skewed view (best job environment I've ever had, miss it all the time) and yes I figured it would make sense to seek a rate similar to my GS job. Are you saying that's not the best way to approach? Is my approach too narrow?

HQ is the best kept secret in the Coast Guard. The Finance Center is the place Storekeepers go to die. I think you're pre-emptively narrowing your search based on past job experience. That's rational and natural, but what I'm trying to say is it's probably not necessary. Unless the Direct Petty Officer program is literally your only path to accession, I think you'd be better served to look at the other ratings first. Go take the ASVAB, see if you can make it into IS or something. IS/IT weren't ratings when I joined, but if I were doing it all over today, those would be the way I go.

There's a benefit to joining as a reservist in that whatever ratings are open to reservists, you get turbo'd to the top of the "A" School list as soon as you finish bootcamp. Keep that in mind before you decide on SK. As far as commissioning opportunities go, take a look at the recruiting manual (COMDTINST M1100.2F) and see if there are commissioning programs available to you. nwin is an actual commissioned officer so he'd probably know more about this stuff than anyone else here. I think any of us that were or are in would caution you against just going with what a recruiter is probably telling you.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Should I be saying "thanks but no thanks" if E-3 is the best they can start me at, or is that going to vary by job? Looking at this from the perspective of a 31 year old who's been working since 18 in some sort of job with (mostly pointless) responsibilities.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Should I be saying "thanks but no thanks" if E-3 is the best they can start me at, or is that going to vary by job? Looking at this from the perspective of a 31 year old who's been working since 18 in some sort of job with (mostly pointless) responsibilities.

The bigger question here is what responsibilities do you think a non-deployed reservist is ever going to have? At best your drill days will pay for themselves/Tricare. You're likely to spend a whole lot of those drill days completing the various required online briefings about sexual assault and preventing the heinous crime of underage drinking. I don't know what the time-in-grade requirement is for advancement from E3 to E4 is in the reserve, but active side it was 6 months. You're not going to be spending a long time at that paygrade, or really any paygrade.

I'm 31 now and can't imagine going back, and I went into the CG at 17. So trying to frame it from that perspective, I don't exactly understand wanting to join up at 31. I especially don't understand wanting to go into a rating that won't net any sort of meaningful skills outside of going back to Civil Service, or integrating into the active component.

I will say that even if you enter the service at E-3, if you take one of the thinking ratings mentioned above that by the time you get out of "A" School and any relevant "C" Schools (do reservists get those? I don't know) you're likely to already meet the TIG requirement for E4, which is a push-button advancement.

Some of the folks that are active duty currently can probably offer more insight, especially any that might supervise reservists (nwin). I'm just some crusty GS guy now that doesn't even work for the Coast Guard.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Merry Christmas from Alaska you sad lonely fucks.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Merry Christmas from Alaska you sad lonely fucks.

Got off watch, nothing happened last night except some children playing on ch16 :catstare:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

On a side note, this is making the rounds:

I guess they can't afford a deck force or something?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 25, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

lol old people

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

An ETC and a SN from my last unit shared this, kinda wanted to point out if I cherry picked a picture from the cutter it would also look like rusty pile of white poo poo.

But like with all dumb poo poo those two share I just ignored it and moved on with my life.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

An ETC and a SN from my last unit shared this, kinda wanted to point out if I cherry picked a picture from the cutter it would also look like rusty pile of white poo poo.

But like with all dumb poo poo those two share I just ignored it and moved on with my life.

We never pulled into homeport looking that bad, in fact I know of at least 1 time we waited to set special sea detail until some of the deckies cleaned poo poo up. Especially bad when you consider the Bertholf is a pseudo-flagship for the fleet.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

We never pulled into homeport looking that bad, in fact I know of at least 1 time we waited to set special sea detail until some of the deckies cleaned poo poo up. Especially bad when you consider the Bertholf is a pseudo-flagship for the fleet.

There is also the fact the that the Bertholf has spent more time in the yards than out on actual missions. Still its kinda a poo poo thing to to to cherry pick pictures in order to prove a point that amounts to absolutely nothing.

Also thats not the Diligence

THIS is the Diligence.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Back in my day ... deck force ... pride ... something something. I'm just kidding, I was an OPS BM, I didn't pick up a needlegun until I was at a station and only then to hand to hand to a BM3.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Elendil004 posted:

I didn't pick up a needlegun until I was at a station and only then to hand to hand to a BM3.

Hand to hand needle gun battles sounds like the type of stupid poo poo i need in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

Hand to hand needle gun battles sounds like the type of stupid poo poo i need in my life.

I'm not even going to edit that typo out.

• Locked thread