Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Today at the Command Center
"I wonder how they are dealing with the floods at sector lower Mississippi?"
"They are probably pissed because their AOR just got bigger"
":lol:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Fan boats for everyone, wooo

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Tonight on late night radio coast to coast guard, conspiracy theories, jurisdiction, stolen boats and you.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

And my former LPO continues to confirm that he has a sense of humor

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
a coast guard recruiter emailed me today..wuttt...since when do they even need to recruit

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pon de Bundy posted:

a coast guard recruiter emailed me today..wuttt...since when do they even need to recruit

My rating, FS and other rates are understaffed af. poo poo they reenacted the SRB and raised them in a span of six months or so.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Love these paintjobs for the 100th whatever it is

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

We have one of those in SF

Pity its a 65 and not a 60.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This is the only one that kinda makes me shudder:

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
So I was looking at going to college and pulled up my transcript. I have over 130 credit hours. What are the chances of me being able to keep even half of these. I have no clue where to start and the ESO is new.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I honestly have no clue...you pulled it up using that new site right? Joint transcript request or something?

My uneducated guess would be that your electives will be fulfilled and not much else.

I would assume it depends on the school. My guess is that AMU or Excelsior would waive a ton of classes to get you to waste your money there, where if you submitted your transcript to Harvard they would laugh. That's a complete shot in the dark though.

Are you still going overseas to that exchange program?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

In other news, Yorktown still blows.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Melthir posted:

So I was looking at going to college and pulled up my transcript. I have over 130 credit hours. What are the chances of me being able to keep even half of these. I have no clue where to start and the ESO is new.

depends on what school you transfer the credit hours to. Different places accept and deny different things. you really won't know what you'll keep and lose until you have them send a sealed transcript to your school.

i kept about 60 credits from mine. also got to skip college phys ed and the freshman "wash your rear end" health class.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

depends on what school you transfer the credit hours to. Different places accept and deny different things. you really won't know what you'll keep and lose until you have them send a sealed transcript to your school.

i kept about 60 credits from mine. also got to skip college phys ed and the freshman "wash your rear end" health class.

I was able to argue a few of my military credits into skipping a US Constitution type requirement. Most schools are pretty flexible if you find the right dept chair and talk to them like a human being.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

nwin posted:

I honestly have no clue...you pulled it up using that new site right? Joint transcript request or something?

My uneducated guess would be that your electives will be fulfilled and not much else.

I would assume it depends on the school. My guess is that AMU or Excelsior would waive a ton of classes to get you to waste your money there, where if you submitted your transcript to Harvard they would laugh. That's a complete shot in the dark though.

Are you still going overseas to that exchange program?

Nah man, the canceled my orders due to a failed overseas medical screening. The doc was worried about a back injury I got about five years ago. Then she promptly signed off on overseas orders to MAT Ketchikan which requires the same medical check. The docs a horrible piece of poo poo that does what she wants regardless of weather or not it makes sense or fucks with peoples lives. Same doc told me my shoulder injury was inoperable and I was lucky I wasn't getting med boarded, got a second opinion from a local doc and he said that type of injury has been correctable for over 20 years, that I didn't even have the injury she said I had, and If I did have the injury I wouldn't be able to move my arm for poo poo. Guy game me a cortisone shot and some physical therapy and now I'm doing great. gently caress this doc.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wow that blows-sorry to hear that.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Coastguardmedical.txt
love going to cg dental and having bloody gums for two days.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

#learntofuckingfloss

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin posted:

#learntofuckingfloss

I'm still fighting with the VA about how bad CG dental was when I got out. Just got my senator involved but even he's stonewalling me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

I'm still fighting with the VA about how bad CG dental was when I got out. Just got my senator involved but even he's stonewalling me.

Maybe if you hadn't eaten your way out of the CG, your teeth wouldn't have been so bad.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin posted:

Maybe if you hadn't eaten your way out of the CG, your teeth wouldn't have been so bad.

That might have been preferable. Although I don't know if weight programming out would have meted an honorable so maybe not.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 19, 2016

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

That might have been preferable. Although I don't know if weight programming out would have meted an honorable so maybe not.

Haha yeah I dunno-I think they keep their 9/11 gi bill.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

It's funny going to the Chief's Mess now for beers, because holy poo poo are some of these guys loving alcoholics who hate everything.

Krispy-SK question for you. Have you ever heard that you need to be designated in writing by the CO of the unit in order to have business cards? I'm not just talking having legit cards ordered for you, I'm talking even being able to get the printer paper cardstock that you can print your own cards with. Apparently the CWO F&S is adamant about it. If I wasn't TAD I'd just go in there and ask where in the FRRM or other policy is says that. If it is legit, it's no big deal, I plan on just making a huge loving memo with everyone's name on it and watching the Captain laugh while they sign it.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 20, 2016

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Inchoate drunk post. Get some cards put SMDFTB on it like a doctorate. Guys probably right though there's a lot of stupid poo poo in manuals that's designed to provide an apereance of superiority to people of higher rank. Leather office chairs and such. It's stupid that he gets mad about it.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 20, 2016

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Melthir posted:

Inchoate drunk post. Get some cards put SMDFTB on it like a doctorate. Guys probably right though there's a lot of stupid poo poo in manuals that's designed to provide an apereance of superiority to people of higher rank. Leather office chairs and such. It's stupid that he gets mad about it.

Lol leather office chair havers need to be o-3 and above.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Crash74 posted:

Lol leather office chair havers need to be o-3 and above.

You haven't lived until you have seen an SK warrant tell a OIC BMCS he is not supoused to have his hand me down leather chair.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

SMDFTB posted:

It's funny going to the Chief's Mess now for beers, because holy poo poo are some of these guys loving alcoholics who hate everything.

Krispy-SK question for you. Have you ever heard that you need to be designated in writing by the CO of the unit in order to have business cards? I'm not just talking having legit cards ordered for you, I'm talking even being able to get the printer paper cardstock that you can print your own cards with. Apparently the CWO F&S is adamant about it. If I wasn't TAD I'd just go in there and ask where in the FRRM or other policy is says that. If it is legit, it's no big deal, I plan on just making a huge loving memo with everyone's name on it and watching the Captain laugh while they sign it.

COMDTINST 7100.3E FINANCIAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT MANUAL 5.6.10.4 posted:

5.6.10.4 Business Cards and Information Cards
Printing business cards, either commercially or by utilizing the Government Printing Office (GPO), is not authorized except in those rare cases where a specific statutory authority exists (e.g., recruiters, and Academy admissions officials). Business cards may be produced in-house when a commanding officer has determined that the cards are necessary to perform official duties and to facilitate mission-related business communications (as distinct from social or business courtesy).

Local production of cards will use Coast Guard standard computer hardware and software on perforated card stock that may be obtained with unit appropriated funds using standard unit procurement procedures and policies. Commandant (CG-6) has created a standard macro that shall be used to produce the cards. The macro, BusCard.dot, may be found in the USCGMacrosII folder on the Coast Guard standard workstation.

So while it does say that the CO's determination is required, I'm going to say that in my opinion it doesn't rise to the level of individuals needing to be designated specifically in writing. As an example, to meet the requirement of the CO having determined, a note, local instruction, or e-mail (it counts) saying, "These positions in the [whatever] Division have a mission requirement to interface with the public sector, and shall be authorized to locally produce business cards."

There may be further guidance in the HSAR, SAP Handbook, and other places, but typically they all mirror the same thing. Keep in mind, most SKs, including F&S warrants have no actual background or experience in budget execution beyond the actual procurement actions. They tend to make poo poo up based on hearsay or policies that haven't been updated (or worse, cancelled) or superseded. If you confront them on this, they'll try to weasel around it or worse stonewall based on being the last line in the sand. In that case, take it up to the district budget officer, or if you're under a different sponsoring agency, take it to the area or HQ level.

Coast Guard poo poo isn't really my wheelhouse anymore, but Budget Execution sure as gently caress is, and 99% of people in the SK rating have no loving clue how appropriated funding works / is designed to work. They're mostly just button-pushers.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

So while it does say that the CO's determination is required, I'm going to say that in my opinion it doesn't rise to the level of individuals needing to be designated specifically in writing. As an example, to meet the requirement of the CO having determined, a note, local instruction, or e-mail (it counts) saying, "These positions in the [whatever] Division have a mission requirement to interface with the public sector, and shall be authorized to locally produce business cards."

There may be further guidance in the HSAR, SAP Handbook, and other places, but typically they all mirror the same thing. Keep in mind, most SKs, including F&S warrants have no actual background or experience in budget execution beyond the actual procurement actions. They tend to make poo poo up based on hearsay or policies that haven't been updated (or worse, cancelled) or superseded. If you confront them on this, they'll try to weasel around it or worse stonewall based on being the last line in the sand. In that case, take it up to the district budget officer, or if you're under a different sponsoring agency, take it to the area or HQ level.

Coast Guard poo poo isn't really my wheelhouse anymore, but Budget Execution sure as gently caress is, and 99% of people in the SK rating have no loving clue how appropriated funding works / is designed to work. They're mostly just button-pushers.

This is awesome-thanks.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

SMDFTB posted:

This is awesome-thanks.

The memo, e-mail, or whatever could be even more vague. It could just acknowledge that the M Division (I'm guessing) has a generally externally-facing job and requires perforated card-stock. It's likely that the people in the supply office have literally no idea what you guys do, since they probably never leave their bubble. Procurement poo poo is pretty checklist driven at his point, they may already have a space on the checklist for that, which in that case they could just walk the PR over to the command office and ask for the CO's signature. They're making it into a bigger deal than it is, but it's because the person in charge is scared to deal with it.

But yeah -- if they didn't provide you with the actual guidance/policy (verbatim), that's a garbage response from supply. I suggest bringing that up at the next staff meeting. It was a big problem when I was in, and it was a big problem here when I first took this job. Policy questions should be answered with policy. Not an interpretation of policy, not what they think. The policy itself. At that point an interpretation of the policy can be made -- but those can and probably should be challenged if the interpretation doesn't stack up with the wording.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

The memo, e-mail, or whatever could be even more vague. It could just acknowledge that the M Division (I'm guessing) has a generally externally-facing job and requires perforated card-stock. It's likely that the people in the supply office have literally no idea what you guys do, since they probably never leave their bubble. Procurement poo poo is pretty checklist driven at his point, they may already have a space on the checklist for that, which in that case they could just walk the PR over to the command office and ask for the CO's signature. They're making it into a bigger deal than it is, but it's because the person in charge is scared to deal with it.

But yeah -- if they didn't provide you with the actual guidance/policy (verbatim), that's a garbage response from supply. I suggest bringing that up at the next staff meeting. It was a big problem when I was in, and it was a big problem here when I first took this job. Policy questions should be answered with policy. Not an interpretation of policy, not what they think. The policy itself. At that point an interpretation of the policy can be made -- but those can and probably should be challenged if the interpretation doesn't stack up with the wording.

Yeah, he just got there this summer and he's very into policy, but it's good to see it should be a simple fix of just drafting a memo for the CO's signature that says we're acting in that capacity.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

poo poo I don't even know you and your already my favorite SK type.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

poo poo I don't even know you and your already my favorite SK type.

When I was a SK, I spent a lot of time face-to-face with the people I was supporting. I had an altogether different attitude and approach to doing that job than I think most Storekeepers take. Instead of just telling people no, I took the time to show policy exhibits, and explain why the answer was no, and what alternatives/exceptions were available. If there were exceptions, I'd usually go to the trouble of at least giving them a template/instructions on how to take advantage if they thought they could do so.

Not being an rear end in a top hat in that rating goes a long loving way toward getting people to work with you. Especially if you keep them updated on what's expected on requests.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Coast-Guard-Cadets-Punished-After-Investigation-Into-Cheating--377134821.html

realtalk whats the deal with the coast guard academy

it seems like a literal hotbed of cheating. a buddy i grew up with got booted out of there after getting caught cheating twice. it just seems hilarious to me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

realtalk whats the deal with the coast guard academy

the same could be asked about the other mil academies.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

the same could be asked about the other mil academies.

And academies/colleges in general. Kids are going to try and cheat to make things easier.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

In not surprising news, 4th of july sucked dicks.

In the last 6 hours of watch the command center had like 13 SAR cases going on.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Soooo Westboro is going to protest the Coast Guard?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Soooo Westboro is going to protest the Coast Guard?

Well the coast guard is gay so that aint new.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

So anyone hear if they spread the love of Christ with the guard today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I finally qualified SU over here, finally imam be back on a normal watch rotation.

• Locked thread