Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Gonna jump in here. I was GS at HQ, but we moved for family reasons. I'm considering the reserve route now, because I miss that job and we have a number of billets open nearby at Eliz. City or Portsmouth. I actually tried to do AFROTC in college but was advised against it at the time since I'd taken antidepressants in high school (that's not an issue anymore and I'm 31). I thinking (hoping) that with my experience in the GS equivalent of storekeeper or yeoman, I could qualify at the least for the Direct Entry PO program and hopefully qualify E4.

My only issue at this point is how selective things are right now. Not that CG is facing the draw down the other branches are facing, but it's a small force and I assume I'll need to stand out in some way. I'm physically ready right now and frankly I should have done this when I was working GS.

Anyone else gone in this route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

nwin posted:

They still have the direct entry program? I've never known anyone that went in that way.

So are you going to try and get a GS job down in elizabeth city and also drill at one of those units as a reservist?

1. It's listed on the recruiting website. I've talked to a recruiter and they also mentioned it.

2. No. I'm no longer GS. I like my private sector civilian job I have currently in another city in Virginia. I want to apply for a reserve billet at Portsmouth or Elizabeth City.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

I do meet for all that, but I am still gathering my information here. If it doesn't work out, it's fine. I may look at the Naval Reserve as well. I get that Reserve billets in my area probably aren't that hard to fill. I'm just ready to serve, but still keep my current civ job. I just don't want to sell myself short on rate.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Id never think that whatever I'd do WOULDN'T involve bootcamp. That's silly. Commissioning in CG would require (likely) medical background or prior service from what I understand. I'd love to take the ASVAB and score high for IS. I got the job doing SK work after getting laid off in 2010 and it was the best thing ever to get that, but it wasn't my dream or anything. I'm still doing my research on all this. And yes, HQ did probably give me a skewed view (best job environment I've ever had, miss it all the time) and yes I figured it would make sense to seek a rate similar to my GS job. Are you saying that's not the best way to approach? Is my approach too narrow?

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 15, 2015

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Should I be saying "thanks but no thanks" if E-3 is the best they can start me at, or is that going to vary by job? Looking at this from the perspective of a 31 year old who's been working since 18 in some sort of job with (mostly pointless) responsibilities.

• Locked thread