Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Anybody have any thoughts on the civie side marine inspector positions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Yeah I work with them pretty routinely. Are you talking about the CAMI (civilian apprentice marine inspector) positions or the ones that start as gs-12? I've got insight into both.

The CAMI is a good program, with some caveats. You start as a gs-7 in a bigger port and once you earn enough quals, you get gs-12, but they will move you to somewhere they need a gs-12...you may only have a few choices to choose from. If you go in as a gs-12, then you'll generally stay in that location.

What do you want to know?

I applied at a west coast port and got a call back on it; I'm considering it at this point but wondering what the schedule is like. Do they allow compressed/alt work schedules(i.e. 10 hour days 4 days a week or do they keep it 8 hours five days?
Reason I ask is my primary residence is one and a half to two hours drive from the USCG office. I own a condo 25-30 minutes from the office. My plan would be to live at the condo like a monk(no cable, focus on work, exercise/lift for recreation) during the work week and go home weekends and the occasional weekday and suck up the drive... having the mrs, two little ones, and dogs and cats in condo would not be feasible. I think my wife would be fine with me being gone most of the week(she was used to me sailing and I think we got along better when I was gone more ) If I could do 4 tens say, it'd be better as I'd get more time with the kiddos which is truly important to me...
Up until recently I was sailing as a merchant mariner(tugs as a mate then mate on hopper dredges) then took a job doing something completely different.
Don't really want to get back to sailing per se but would like to get back into something related.
I know it's the gs-7 apprentice deal to start...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

sex swing from IKEA posted:

That's going to be unit specific and I'd recommend asking for the Position Description for the job. Based on what I've seen at two separate units now, that hasn't happened. The general workday is something like 7-3:30, and as a civilian, you're kept held to those standards.

Generally as a gs-7, they expect you there five days a week and to get qual'ed up. However, there are telework agreements available and some places may allow for flex schedules.

Thanks for the info...

• Locked thread