Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
In my coastie days, I wrote press releases for a living. I wihs I could have written a release in this style.

http://gcaptain.com/australian-lunatics-narrowly-avert-death-off-nantucket/

quote:

Lunatics, a-holes, idiots… whatever you want to call them…

In January, Reg and Jason McGlashan paid USD $10,000 for the 43-foot sailboat Sedona off eBay with the intention of sailing her to Australia less than two months later.

“We’ve never done anything like this. Dad’s not even a sailor, but he’s a quick study,” said Jason McGlashan in an interview with the Newport Daily News in early February. “We’ve got plenty of food, plenty of booze, good sails and all the safety gear you could ever need, so we’re going to be OK.”

Spoiler alert: it didn't work out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
I barely look at this thread any more. The Coast Guard is a distant memory now lol and besides, the service is pretty much unrecognizable at this point which is fine. Life goes on. Anyways, I found myself on Cape Cod a few weeks back and discovered this little Coast Guard museum: http://www.coastguardheritagemuseum.org/ It's actually a pretty good museum - well worth the visit. They have a huge model of the Campbell and on the fantail. you have little tiny non-rates dumping garbage and what appear to be torpedo launchers. Are these a thing or the model maker's fantasy? The torpedo tubes. Not the non-rates haha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002

stackofflapjacks posted:

ya da good info etc

What do you want to be at the end of your term? If you are thinking Alaska and maritime trade, obviously BM. You'd get lots of desk experience and it would be, likely, the fastest path to running a boat.

IT? Meh. One of the most important things in IT is troubleshooting. You'd get more of that in ET or machinery. When you get out you'd be up against kids fresh out of some stupid degree mill place like an ITT school. Having the electronic experience would give you an edge I bet. The higher level systems stuff (exchange or active directory, citrix, domain, Cisco, VoIP, etc) I don't know if you'd get near that stuff. If the recruiter thinks you *can* and you could then get Microsoft or Cisco certification etc, then, maybe IT.

Disclaimer: I was in the CG when Christ was striking BM. My opinions on *anything* CG related aren't actually rooted in much reality. YMMV, except I am currently a senior network guy for one of the best and largest healthcare companies in the country.

• Locked thread